Type keyword(s) to search

76th Emmy Awards (Sept. 2024)

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

He can’t be credited for Dawson’s Creek exactly, but he can be credited for Pacey and Joey, which may be even more important. 

That is more important. Dawson sucked lol. I never miss a chance to say that when the show is brought up lol.

• Applause 2
3 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

think it was one of the best In Memoriam segments. And the song was perfect, IMO.

too perfect, too literal — as i said, ‘on the nose.’

and i have always felt that a vocal accompaniment calls too much attention to the performer rather than those whose passing is being acknowledged. 

• Like 1

Hell yeah, Hiroyuki Sanada!  He was one of those actors I've seen in stuff for ages and I'm glad he's getting his moment in the spotlight here.

Still cool seeing Walton Goggins pop up there though.  His performance as The Ghoul was spectacular as well.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I just saw them sitting together. Are they actually dating? Or are they sitting next to each other as cast members? Either way, I think it is good. 

They've been seen out and about together.  And they were seen holding hands at a premiere party for this season of the show. 

But every time they're asked, they say they're just good friends so it's hard to know for sure. 

Good show tonight. We had some surprising wins. The presenters all worked well together pairing the Villians and Cops together ect was fun. The reunions of the older shows were nice. Dan and Eugene were good Hosts.  

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Thumper said:

Yay, Hacks!  
Is this male writer also an actor in the show?  Playing her agent?

Yes! That’s Deborah’s amazing agent!!

He and his wife, Lucia Aniello, the other person who spoke l, are actually the showrunners.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

REALLY wanted both Anna Sawai and Hiroyuki Sanada to win, so I'm a little teary.  The two of them were truly incredible (as was the whole cast, and Tadanobu Asano should also have won).  The whole show is extraordinary, but the episodes Sawai and Sanada submitted ("Crimson Sky" for Sawai and "The Abyss of Life" for Sanada) really gave each tremendous showcases.

I thought Season 2 of The Bear was incredible television, but..so was Season 3 of Hacks.  Awesome win there.

I will never not love a Rose family reunion!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

The presenters all worked well together pairing the Villians and Cops together ect was fun. 

I too thought it was a fun idea, seeing people we don't usually see together. And different eras, too. 

• Like 3

Last year, I appreciated the TV show reunions. This year, I appreciated honoring the TV characters of dads, moms, doctors, cops, lawyers, etc. 

The Emmy’s continue to produce an amazing show. THIS is how you honor TV.

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

REALLY wanted both Anna Sawai and Hiroyuki Sanada to win, so I'm a little teary.  The two of them were truly incredible (as was the whole cast, and Tadanobu Asano should also have won). 

My thoughts exactly.  I'm thrilled for both Sawai and Sanada, who were both so deserving. But...I also watched The Morning Show and while Billy Crudup gave a great performance in their most recent season, it paled in comparison to Asano's. I really think voters got that one wrong. I'm very glad that Shōgun won Drama Series. It was a stunning production. If you haven't yet seen it, don't miss it.

I gasped loudly when Hacks was announced as best Comedy Series. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. I do think that Season 2 of The Bear was their best to date, so I'm sorry it wasn't awarded for that, but I also enjoyed the most recent season of Hacks very much. As I said much earlier upthread, my upset dream was to see Reservation Dogs win. Both of the others have more seasons coming, hence more chances to win. This was the last chance for RD. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Loved the Shogun wins.

Happy for The Bear’s supporting actor winners.

I thought I saw Idris Elba towards the end in a wide shot. If so, why weren’t there close ups?!

Schitt’s Creek reunion, please. Catherine O’Hara channeling Moira.

it’s always a good time to see Alan Cummings.

Looks like I should finish the third season of Hacks.

• Like 3

When Liza Colon-Zayas won supporting, for a season where they focused more episodic character studies, rather than having a true ensemble throughout the season, I felt the inevitability of The Bear was about to happen. Glad to be wrong. I love the show, but with like most people I have no hard time admitting The Bear isn’t a comedy, and true comedies need to be recognized in their own category. Glad to see Hacks get some love for their best season (so far). Although I feel for Abbott Elementary. When they came out guns a-blazing for their first season, I thought we would have another Modern Family in our hands.

Only Murders may probably end up as one of the best comedies to never win an Emmy..

• Like 3

Love that Hacks won, can't wait until next season.  Jean Smart comes across as so real and raw on screen.  She seems to still be grieving her husband.  She's so good in dramatic roles, like Fargo, Mare of Easttown.

• Like 5

This is a good primer of how Hacks beat The Bear last night. And this piece of trivia - this is the first time the two shows went head-to-head against each other - I never knew that.

For that prize, in a shocking upset predicted by no one, the second season of The Bear was beaten by the third season of HBO/Max's Hacks. (The two shows had never gone head-to-head before: the first two seasons of Hacks lost to the first two seasons of Ted Lasso, whereas Hacks was off the air last year when The Bear was in the running for the first time.)

And while the timing of Bear’s Season 3 helped its stars, it may not have helped the show overall.

How did this happen? Well, for one thing, there's obviously a lot of love for Hacks, which also beat out The Bear for best comedy actress (Jean Smart, who also won the prize for the show's two prior seasons, topped Ayo Edebiri, who last cycle won best comedy supporting actress) and best comedy writing (Hacks, which previously won for its first season, was probably helped this cycle by the fact that The Bear had two nominees in the category -- but it also submitted a hell of an episode in its season three finale).

More than that, though, I think that chatter about The Bear being great but not funny, which had started during its first season, reached a crescendo during the final round of Emmy voting when voters were considering the show's second season but also watching its decidedly unfunny third season, which had just begun rolling out. (Another reason that I think season three was on voters' minds as they voted for season two: Colón-Zayas' win for season two, even though she was much stronger in season three.)

As voters contemplated whether The Bear is really a comedy, I suspect that many arrived at the conclusion that they should not punish the talent from The Bear for being promoted as such -- but had pause about giving it once again a prize called best comedy, which has historically gone to laugh-out-loud shows like Modern Family, Veep, Schitt's Creek and Ted Lasso.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

I like The Bear and thought season 2 was good. I never saw Hacks. I am glad The Bear was beaten by an actual comedy though. I want to see if they will place themselves in the right category moving forward.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I like The Bear and thought season 2 was good. I never saw Hacks. I am glad The Bear was beaten by an actual comedy though. I want to see if they will place themselves in the right category moving forward.

Give it a chance when you can. It took me awhile to get into it too - I blame the initial marketing. I always see in on my Max app and I think “the title is Hacks but it has Jean Smart on the front - I thought this was about computer hackers?!” I never initially got that it’s a different meaning of “hacks”.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Give it a chance when you can. It took me awhile to get into it too - I blame the initial marketing. I always see in on my Max app and I think “the title is Hacks but it has Jean Smart on the front - I thought this was about computer hackers?!” I never initially got that it’s a different meaning of “hacks”.

Honestly, I just never heard of it. Maybe I did and never thought about it. I will definitely add it to my list to try.

To anyone who hasn't watched Hacks I won't spoil how but the reason for the show title is explained in the first episode with regards to both characters.

I love both Hacks and The Bear but Hacks taking the big win was excellent.  I love Liza Colon-Zayas but I wish Hannah Einbinder had taken it as it was her best season yet.

I do think the discussion above about The Bear may have soured a few voters.  There's been tons of discourse about it not being a comedy that's all fair.  Hell I think I've laughed more during Succession and Fallout.  I don't think the lackluster reactions to S3 helped either.

I did a breakdown of comedy/drama series wins between the Big 4 streamers and it's  Hulu that has the most.  HBO still reigns supreme overall but between the streamers, Netflix has only had ONE drama series win (The Crown in 2021).  Apple has two, Prime two and Hulu three.  Netflix has multiple limited series wins, which goes to show that Netflix seems at its strongest in its originals when they stick to limited tight stories that don't get cancelled.  Hulu meanwhile has crafted a good slate of originals that consistently get new seasons out in a timely manner and focus on quality over quantity.  So basically, Netflix around 2013-2016.  

8 minutes ago, kittykat said:

I love both Hacks and The Bear but Hacks taking the big win was excellent.  I love Liza Colon-Zayas but I wish Hannah Einbinder had taken it as it was her best season yet.

Einbinder should be in the lead category.  Hacks is plural, it has two lead roles.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Einbinder should be in the lead category.  Hacks is plural, it has two lead roles.

I keep going back to Damages because I think its dynamic is similar to Hacks, only that it’s a drama, but there were also some rumblings how Rose was really a co-lead (I would argue she’s definitely a co-lead from S2 onward, but S1 she’s a strong supporting.) But of course they would never, and never have submitted her for Lead, because they wanted the focus to be on Glenn, and at the same time not ruin Rose’s chances at another category she may have more than a fighting chance on as compared to Lead. I imagine something similar is happening to Hannah. They’ll never submit her for Lead. On S1, I can see the argument where she’s more supporting role. But S2 onwards, they’re definitely co-leads.

• Like 3

I did not watch the Emmys but read along on various online sources. 

The Joshua Jackson posting about how he has evolved into a silverfox (he is only 46--so still too young for the silverfox title) makes me happy that I was Team Pacey all these years. I never doubted it. 

Anyway, back to the actual awards.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

I keep going back to Damages because I think its dynamic is similar to Hacks, only that it’s a drama, but there were also some rumblings how Rose was really a co-lead

Good analogy, both shows with two female leads.  I keep on thinking of the actresses who were not nominated for a supporting Emmy because Einbinder and Byrne were nominated.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Hacks is most definitely a two-hander but I doubt Hannah will ever be submitted in the Lead category. HBO/ Max wants a chance at two wins. Also, while she's terrific, I don't think Hannah would beat Jean. I do still think she should have won last night. Liza Colon-Zayas wasn't featured as prominently in S2 of The Bear. I believe that her S3 performance was on the minds of TV Academy members during this year's voting period. There was an entire episode dedicated to Liza's  character. Their votes should have been for her S2 performance, but you can't unsee how great she was in S3!

I was very disappointed that Hannah didn't win. 😔

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Hacks is most definitely a two-hander but I doubt Hannah will ever be submitted in the Lead category. HBO/ Max wants a chance at two wins. Also, while she's terrific, I don't think Hannah would beat Jean. I do still think she should have won last night. Liza Colon-Zayas wasn't featured as prominently in S2 of The Bear. I believe that her S3 performance was on the minds of TV Academy members during this year's voting period. There was an entire episode dedicated to Liza's  character. Their votes should have been for her S2 performance, but you can't unsee how great she was in S3!

Bear Season 2 episode Pop was primarily about Liza Colon-Zayas' character doing a stage at another restaurant.  She sang karioke with her co-workers.

I like Hacks a lot but it wasn't Hannah's year.

59 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

re the in memorium: i mentioned upthread that i disliked the song. additionally, i thought it odd that there were so, so many behind the scenes people were included. not saying they shouldn’t be included, but didn’t notice last night that  shelly duvall, treat williams, and chita rivera were not  

notable stars mising from the emmys

That's an unforgivable omission considering that Treat Williams was actually an Emmy nominee last night!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, wonderwoman said:

re the in memorium: i mentioned upthread that i disliked the song. additionally, i thought it odd that there were so, so many behind the scenes people were included. not saying they shouldn’t be included, but didn’t notice last night that  shelly duvall, treat williams, and chita rivera were not  

3 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

That's an unforgivable omission considering that Treat Williams was actually an Emmy nominee last night!

It seems like there is a scandal of omission every year.  It may be intentional just to garner press.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

notable stars mising from the emmys

Treat was included in the In Memoriam at the Emmys 2023 ceremony in January. 

• Like 3