Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 9/22/14

We saw very little of the part they complained about (where they were confronted by the activists) and what we saw was a montage without audio. That's how the segment was salvaged.

Ah, if that's the part they complained about I get it. It's hard to look good in that situation and it did seem like the woman was crying through some of it. Lucky for them it wasn't aired with sound I guess. Still, it was a good segment even without it. Not airing the confrontation may have said more than airing it.

• Love 1

Not sure if it will reach #CancelColbert levels, but social media believes TDS and Jon Stewart are Islamophobic and racist because of the One Direction joke during Jessica's bit the other night. #DailyShowGoneTooFar is a thing right now that is trending on Twitter.

There is not enough facepalm for this. Seriously, though. I am stuck between laughing and feeling acute pain at the level of stupidity and laziness being displayed. Not even five minutes of research and a little critical thinking would have solved this before it began. Instead, it's the top trend on worldwide Twitter. (Or what she said.)

Oops, I forgot to add what I came online for: last night's show was superb. They began and ended the week on very high notes.

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 1

Not sure if it will reach #CancelColbert levels, but social media believes TDS and Jon Stewart are Islamophobic and racist because of the One Direction joke during Jessica's bit the other night. #DailyShowGoneTooFar is a thing right now that is trending on Twitter.

There is not enough facepalm for this. Seriously, though. I am stuck between laughing and feeling acute pain at the level of stupidity and laziness being displayed. Not even five minutes of research and a little critical thinking would have solved this before it began. Instead, it's the top trend on worldwide Twitter.

Oops, I forgot to add what I came online for: last night's show was superb. They began and ended the week on very high notes.

One Direction fans make a lot of things trend. The other day they made some random word trend because one of the 1D guys tweeted it or something. Those are the only people who remotely give a shit about this. And they're only watching a10 second vine clip of TDS that mentions the phrase 1D. So we're just watching the outrage of prepubescent tweens because they're butthurt over not understanding simple satire/sarcasm or the context of it at all. I doubt anyone seriously cares what a bunch of tweens with too much time on their hands are tweeting in regards to their favorite boy band. They aren't the demo of TDS in the first place. It does however show and make General Zinni's point from the extended interview where he talks about how India and China are going to take over in terms of education standards and how we're lacking in the US. Kids, go read a book. Then again I was a massive BSB fan growing up, so I'll show myself out.

I suppose some right wing outlets or Fox News will pick it up simply because they love it when TDS comes under fire - and Howard Kurtz will tweet and talk about it because he has a weird Jon Stewart obsession. But even then, I doubt it.

Ah, if that's the part they complained about I get it. It's hard to look good in that situation and it did seem like the woman was crying through some of it.

The woman fan was crying? I didn't notice. I have no idea how confrontational it was, but I can imagine the fans feeling ambushed because of actually having to talk to a Native American. IOW, I don't think it was necessarily confrontational because the fans were uncomfortable simply because a group of NAs were brought in to talk to them.

My late husband was a big Redskins fan. Yes he used to dress up in a dress, wig, and pig nose (before we met). If he were still around I'm positive he'd be against changing the name. His right-wing family are also big fans and are certainly angry about the push to change the name.

It does however show and make General Zinni's point from the extended interview where he talks about how India and China are going to take over in terms of education standards and how we're lacking in the US. Kids, go read a book. Then again I was a massive BSB fan growing up, so I'll show myself out.

Boy, does it ever make his point. Why is critical thinking so hard to do? It's not actually that hard. Argh!

I suppose some right wing outlets or Fox News will pick it up simply because they love it when TDS comes under fire - and Howard Kurtz will tweet and talk about it because he has a weird Jon Stewart obsession. But even then, I doubt it.

That fixation by Kurtz is so odd. Does he want to be Jon's new frenemy in place of O'Reilly, or does he dream of being the one to expose that one big, shocking secret about Jon that Fox has been longing to find all this while? I honestly don't get it.

Pretty sure any time cousins marry it removes two grandparents. It would explain a fair amount.

Well duh. I completely forgot about squares in lineage charts. 12 becomes a multiple once you remove a set of grandparents at the earliest so 2, 6, 12 etc...With all the charts I just drew out, I have invested far too much in this ladies family. So yeah. 12 is possible.

Edited by maculae

Sometimes, like last night, you can tell that Jon is really pissed off about something, like he was with the hypocrisy of that Fox News blowhard going on and on about Obama's lack of respect for the military, followed immediately by his "boobs on the ground" comment. That was one of those pieces you could tell Jon was really fuming over. I had seen some stories about "coffee gate" but hadn't paid much attention to them. Good God, the hypocrisy and fake outrage are astounding.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone who feels like they were duped or ambushed on The Daily Show. If you've ever seen the show, you know what it's about and what you're getting into. If you haven't seen the show you shouldn't be dumb enough to agree to appear on it then whine about it later. That's the price you pay when you jump at the chance to be on TV just because you want to be on TV, without bothering to check out what kind of show you're appearing on.

• Love 4

If one parent were 1/8 Cherokee and the other was 1/16, together they would be 2/24 or 1/12. (Someone check my math - it's never been my strong suit). That Washington Football Team (I refuse to say it) segment was great, I thought. It was sharp and specific and got at the truth. And Jon's smackdown of Fox News and that absolutely bullshit "boobs on the ground" comment was positively cathartic. It's been a week of so-so shows, but they hit tonight out of the park.

Sorry -- 1/8 + 1/16 = 3/16

Can some explain to me, specifically and using small words, how a news anchor used the phrase "Boobs on the ground" on air and hasn't been fired?

Edited by dusang

Well duh. I completely forgot about squares in lineage charts. 12 becomes a multiple once you remove a set of grandparents at the earliest so 2, 6, 12 etc...With all the charts I just drew out, I have invested far too much in this ladies family. So yeah. 12 is possible.

You don't actually remove a set of grandparents, one of them just counts twice as much.  

So, for example, if my parents are first cousins, and one of them is half-native american (for the sake of argument, my mom), that means: 

My mom has two parents (my grandparents), her mom (my maternal grandma -MGM) is full-blooded native american, and her dad (my maternal grandpa - MGP) is fully caucasian. 

My dad is fully caucasian, his mom (my paternal grandma-PGM) and his dad (my paternal grandpa-PGP) is fully caucasian. 

For my parents to be first cousins, one set of my grandparents have to be siblings.  It can't be my one grandparent who is native american, or there would be more native american blood in my other grandparents.  So lets say my maternal grandpa and paternal grandpa are brothers.   What does that mean for my great grandparents? I still have 8 of them: 

MGM has two full blooded native american parents (2/8)

MGP has two full blooded caucasian parents.  (2/8)

PGM has two full blooded caucasian parents. (2/8)

PGP has the same two full blooded caucasian parents as MGP (2/8).  

So MGP and PGP's parents, who are the same, are providing 4/8ths of my DNA or lineage (1/2), while my other two sets of great-grandparents are providing the other 2/8th and 2/8ths respectively. 

Just because MGP and PGPs parents are the same, that doesn't mean that suddenly a larger portion of my DNA is coming from the other sets of great grandparents.  

So in this scenario, even though I only have 6 not 8 great grandparents, I am still 1/4 native american.  

If you flip it so that my set of sibling grandparents are the ones with native american heritage,

it looks like this:

MGM has two full blooded caucasian parents (2/8)

MGP has two full blooded native american parents.  (2/8)

PGM has two full blooded caucasian parents. (2/8)

PGP has the same two full blooded native american parents as MGP (2/8).

So then my mom is half native american & my dad is half native american, and I am also half native american.  There's no way to get to 1/6th or one twelfth unless you don't understand that each person always gets half their DNA form one parent and half from the other.  Multiples of three never comes to play, because no one ever has three biological parents. (though this could be an issue in future generations with fancy fancy egg donation type stuff that is happening to prevent the sharing of genetic disorders). 

Edited by fib

You don't actually remove a set of grandparents, one of them just counts twice as much.

I was thinking in terms of not doing the calculation, but just doing a simple count of "I have a total of 12 great great grandparents and one of the 12 is Cherokee therefore I am 1/12th Cherokee" or some variation of such. I mean, I know this isn't how it works genetically, but I can see how someone can get confused there.

Edit: While this kind of pertains to the show, sorry for the off-topicness Mods!

The Daily Show responded to the 1D fans and I'm amused that it's STILL trending on twitter:

Dear 1D fans: We didn't know the band members' names, religions, hobbies, etc. Just knew they were popular. But not THIS popular. #whoa
Edited by maculae

From their Twitter account:

Dear 1D fans: We didn't know the band members' names, religions, hobbies, etc. Just knew they were popular. But not THIS popular. #whoa

And the outrage continues... It's not just 1D kids, either; the hashtag has been picked up as a more general case against Islamophobia and racism, although everyone's still using that several-second-long vine, a misquote of it, or someone else's interpretation of it as the basis for their criticism. This is the kind of thing that bugs the hell out of me; it's not to say that shows or celebrities are flawless and that valid criticism doesn't exist but that it's counterproductive and misinformed when people rush to hyperbolic judgment about something or someone whose track record is anything but representative of what they are under fire for. How many US shows are as consistently and actively anti-Islamophobic as TDS? I'm guessing that list is pretty small. It's so typical of social media that misinformation, subjective interpretations, and rumors get passed around as though they were no different than the actual facts of the matter. Motivated reasoning: it's not just for conservatives, but also for the internet at large. Yay. As someone who researches cognition, it is fascinating, but as a person in the internet and as a fan, it's fucking annoying.

Anyway, my guess is they will make a joke about this on Monday and move on, although I suppose they could devote an entire segment to it, like Colbert did #CancelColbert.

He's on Fox News.

I would say that he's a boob on Fox News and therefore mistaken as an expert, but that would only be an insult to boobs in the more recent, conventional usage of the word. He is, however, definitely a dunce.

Edited by Fremde Frau

It's not just 1D kids, either; the hashtag has been picked up as a more general case against Islamophobia and racism, although everyone's still using that several-second-long vine, a misquote of it, or someone else's interpretation of it as the basis for their criticism.

The best thing is that the clip was kind of mocking all rash over the top things where a simple misunderstanding or purposeful misunderstanding is the issue - which makes this just hilarious. In fact, this whole thing is basically something that TDS mocks all the time - a soundbyte; no context; and then ignorance. I mean, it's great that these tweens are so passionate about anti-Islamophobia, but seriously. 

And like I said, some people just like throwing shows like TDS under the bus when possible because it's important for them to discredit it. Too bad they chose a show which is probably the most pro-Muslim/Arab/Persian show on TV with a guy who recently spent a summer in the Middle East making a movie which humanizes even torturing Muslims. And people who are using it as a case for/against Islamophobia/racism - they can probably find offense over the smallest of things.

I kind of saw the reasoning behind Suey Park's Colbert outrage initially - until she started talking and giving interviews and came off batshit crazy. But this is just beyond willful ignorance starting from naive young kids and going to - I guess, willful stupidity of people whose minds haven't matured past those of pre-pubescent tweens.

Edited by maculae
  • Love 1

This was a stoopidly late entry on the 1/12 thing (which I think can only work mathematically if you are a Hapsburg). 

My first awareness of Dan Snyder was the parking controversy in 2000.  Fans used to park at a shopping mall near the stadium and walk in.  Free parking at a mall vs $$$ at FedExField?  Nonononono.  He got a ban on pedestrian traffic into the stadium grounds enacted, ONLY FOR GAME DAYS, forcing people to park in his lots or use public transit.  It was overturned after a class action lawsuit.

Good reading: "The Cranky Redskins Fans Guide to Dan Snyder"   It's from 2011 but I think it holds up.

Edited by kassygreene
  • Love 1

The clip was kind of mocking all rash over the top things where a simple misunderstanding or purposeful misunderstanding is the issue - which makes this just hilarious. I mean, it's great that these tweens are so passionate about anti-Islamophobia, but seriously.

Oh, definitely. It really couldn't be a better demonstration of the joke than if TDS planned it this way. (Hmm...) It is encouraging to see that this generation will be adamant that all people should be treated equally, but it's sort of depressing to see their inability to take a moment in order to think critically and understand the particulars of context. It's even more depressing when you consider how unlikely it is that they will revisit their opinions in the light of the facts; to them, TDS will forever be the show that hates Muslims just like Fox. (TDS is just one example that is unimportant on the grand scale, but that thought process will be applied to more than just entertainment. That's what truly worries me, when it comes to the future leaders, policy-makers, and educators of the US.)

And like I said, some people just like throwing shows like TDS under the bus when possible because it's important for them to discredit it. Too bad they chose a show which is probably the most pro-Muslim/Arab/Persian show on TV with a guy who recently spent a summer in the Middle East making a movie which humanizes even torturing Muslims.

I was wondering if conservatives were latching onto this, as they had with the Colbert thing. They really couldn't have been more wrong-headed in selecting their target.

Haven't spent much time thinking about it, but I can't really think of a 1/12 situation.

So yeah. 12 is possible.

But it's not that likely. The woman probably had no idea what she was talking about. 

I think what upset them was when the Native Americans came in at the end. When Jon talked about not wanting participants to be unhappy with the piece, I think the debate part was what got edited out. At least that's how I understood it.

The woman fan was crying? I didn't notice. I have no idea how confrontational it was, but I can imagine the fans feeling ambushed because of actually having to talk to a Native American. IOW, I don't think it was necessarily confrontational because the fans were uncomfortable simply because a group of NAs were brought in to talk to them.

So they're uncomfortable being confronted by the people that are offended by their team's nickname? Boo fucking hoo. If you think it's no big deal and you're "1/12" Cherokee then you should sure as hell be able to engage in a civilized conversation about your "beliefs" with someone who disagrees with you. That's uncomfortable? Then maybe your original premise is a pile of bullshit, and actually, maybe football doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme of things. Get the fuck over yourself. Or, just don't go on a television show that's fairly well known in pop culture for it's biting satire. 

Honestly, I'm getting sick and fucking tired of the NFL and everyone figuratively jerking off to it. The league needs to get knocked down a big peg. 

Boy, does it ever make his point. Why is critical thinking so hard to do? It's not actually that hard. Argh!

It actually is that hard. I teach it every semester. That's why Fox News is popular. I know it's not that big of a deal, but just don't salute the troops with stuff in your hands. 

Which is why religionists should be disqualified from serving in public office and making policy.

I think there's a guy on the house science committee that said global climate won't destroy the planet because only god could do that, so we don't have to worry about anything. 

Edited by ganesh
I know it's not that big of a deal, but just don't salute the troops with stuff in your hands.

I remember a whole discussion when Obama was first elected about whether he was even entitled to salute, having never served in the armed forces. It was finally decided that as commander-in-chief, it was okay. There was a lot of hand-wringing, though.

So they're uncomfortable being confronted by the people that are offended by their team's nickname? Boo fucking hoo. biting satire. 

Just to be clear -- I wasn't saying the fans had a right to feel ambushed. I meant they hated having to explain their position face-to-face to Native Americans. I think this should be a big clue to them that their position is indefensible.

I meant they hated having to explain their position face-to-face to Native Americans. I think this should be a big clue to them that their position is indefensible.

I was underscoring this observation by saying boo fucking hoo to the 'fans'. 

Jesus F. Christ! Not only is society getting dumber, but humorless as well.

• Love 5

I was thinking in terms of not doing the calculation, but just doing a simple count of "I have a total of 12 great great grandparents and one of the 12 is Cherokee therefore I am 1/12th Cherokee" or some variation of such. I mean, I know this isn't how it works genetically, but I can see how someone can get confused there.

Yeah, I see your point, but people who are actually Native American take pride in it, and go through rigorous evaluation of their genetics to be eligible for the few meager benefits they are eligible for, like college scholarships, medical care, proceeds from the casinos, etc.  So someone who thinks they are 1/12th native american is either lying, an idiot, or really uninformed. 

Honestly, I'm getting sick and fucking tired of the NFL and everyone figuratively jerking off to it. The league needs to get knocked down a big peg. 

Word.  That's why I loved this episode. TDS is doing a fantastic job with the Ray Rice stuff and the Redskins stuff and I say KEEP IT COMING!

There's been other presidents who haven't served either, no?

LOADS of them.  Clinton was an actual draft dodger.  Bush's service was HIGHLY questionable (Texas National Guard duty was rich kid draft digging, and its pretty clear he went awol). Prior to that, you had a series of presidents who served during WWII, including Bush Sr, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, Kennedy and Ike. Truman served in WWI.  FDR - Taft - no service.  Before that most were veterans The main difference for Obama is that he came of age (1979) after the draft (1973) and there weren't any significant military needs after that time, unlike most of the presidents in recent memory. Obama would have been ~30 when the persian Gulf war started, and he was enrolled in Harvard Law at the time. I realize this is not the point, but it speaks to the close-mindedness of the people criticizing Obama for this since they seem completely unaware that his failure to serve has more to do with his birth year than his patriotism or lack thereof.  

Edited by fib

Here's a bit more about the controversial segment last night over at TV Guide.

"This goes way beyond mocking," said participant Kelli O'Dell, who suggested the face-to-face discussion. "Poking fun is one thing, but that's not what happened. It was disingenuous. The Native Americans accused me of things that were so wrong. I felt in danger. I didn't consent to that. I am going to be defamed."
"I was told that I was 'psychologically damaging Native American children,'" O'Dell complained. At one point, O'Dell removed her microphone and told a producer to tear up her contract. When her request was refused, she attempted to submit a police report only to be told no crime had been committed. Despite the unhappiness all four fans experienced shooting the segment, they all told the Post they would have gone on the show had they known about the debate ahead of time."
  • Love 3

I am going to be defamed.

Defamation law 101, Ms. O'Dell: Truth is an absolute defense to a claim of defamation.

I just finally had the chance to watch the piece, and I thought it was pretty much perfect.  I loved Jon's intro: If we find out someone in a piece was intentionally misled or their comments were intentionally misrepresented, we do not air that piece. So that being said, I hope you enjoy the following piece.

And now I have had the pleasure of viewing Jon's reaction to "lattesalute" and I am grinning like an idiot at the sheer perfection of it.  "Sarah Palin in a bald cap" made it art, but I just never love Jon more than when he's thoroughly disgusted with the national embarassment that is our government and/or media.  "We are so fucked, I don't even know what to do" pretty much sums it up.  But by the time he got to saying that when Bush took us to war any criticism was shouted down as treasonous, but now that it's Obama any transgression - no matter how stupid - is fair game to label him a bad American, I was cheering.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

I feel like Hutton at the Salisbury Crags, watching this One Direction thing unfold. Now, the fans are becoming miffed at the media reaction and have decided that this is a feminist issue, i.e. respecting the voices and opinions of young girls. How does this happen? The dynamics at play are fascinating. Someone should do a study. /nerd

Bravo, Rachel Maddow.  She included Jon's entire segment on the coffee cup salute in her program tonight, not having said a word about the idiocy all week.  And behind her the screen said "Hail to the Chief," which of course we think means the President.  But no, at the end she said "All hail Jon Stewart."   Brilliant. 

By the way, about the math of genetics, which I introduced:  no one is 1/12 of their twelve great-great grandparents.  I don't even know how one would have 12 great-great grandparents, as we all have four grandparents, eight great grandparent, and 16 great-great grandparents.  (Okay, really incestuous woodsy people might have had ancestors with cross-generations sleeping together, but yuck.) The "1/12th" struck me because I actually have had to help students document their percentage of heritage for scholarships, and I've never seen a number like that. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

I felt in danger.

This is the comment that rots my socks the most. How dare she?! How dare she be so clueless as to the effect her odious beliefs have on others, and then claim victimhood? Gah.  Well done, TDS.

And an extra hat tip to kassygreene for the Hapsburg joke. Well played!

• Love 3

I remember a whole discussion when Obama was first elected about whether he was even entitled to salute, having never served in the armed forces. It was finally decided that as commander-in-chief, it was okay. There was a lot of hand-wringing, though.

Actually, the President strictly speaking isn't supposed to salute anyone in the military. The salute is considered a privilege that only members of the military can exercise, and the President is a civilian. As Commander in Chief, the President rates a salute from the troops, but he does not have to salute back. Even Dwight Eisenhower didn't salute the troops when he was President, and he presumably knew military protocol. Reagan started the tradition of returning salutes from the troops, and nobody was going to make him stop. It's continued on ever since.

Edited by Xantar
  • Love 2

Finally saw 'boob-gate'.  I wish one of the women had the nerve to tell him to fuck off.  Nice job there, brown-haired jerk.  Apparently it's not OK to 'disrespect' the military the way Obama did, but it's perfectly OK to disrespect and demean the females in the military.  The hypocrisy of those people...there are no words.

• Love 2

My remark was not intended to be disparaging of her, but that’s how it was taken.

Really?  Reducing her to a body part was not intended to be disparaging, and was simply taken that way by reactionaries (as women are prone to be, I suppose)?  What, exactly, was the intent behind "boobs on the ground" then?  This twit is on about respect for the armed forces and minutes later drops such a "joke" and I'm supposed to chalk it up to misinterpretation when there isn't a sentient species on this planet that can come up with a non-sexist intent behind it?

• Love 4

Migizi Pensoneau, one of the Native American comedians from the 1491s, wrote about his experiences doing the show.

I think back to the tailgate: the man blowing cigar smoke in my face, the man who mockingly yelled, “Thanks for letting us use your name!”, the group who yelled at us to “go the fuck home,” the little waif who threatened to cut me, the dude who blew the train horn on his truck as I walked by the hood. I think of all of that, and I think back to O’Dell crying and trying desperately to get out of the room full of calm Natives. I thought she was crying because she was caught unawares and was afraid. But I realized that was her defense mechanism, and that by overly dramatizing her experience, she continued to trivialize ours. It was privilege in action. And as I realized these things, something else became incredibly clear: She knew she was wrong.

• Love 4

About the article above:

Someone said this (the person is in the disability rights movement and was comparing how minorities/not privileged groups are treated)

"I simply cannot understand how people can justify saying to another group of people that their own experience is wrong" (the experience being that the mascot, the name hurts the Native Americans) It is like saying: "no, your experience is wrong. We will tell you what your experience should be because we mean well." (referring to their experience trying to get things done in the disability movement)

As for the 1 1/2 thing - I know someone who is very, very good in math (I would say "genius", although they don't say that) and according to this person, it is not possible. 

About the article above:

Someone said this (the person is in the disability rights movement and was comparing how minorities/not privileged groups are treated) "I simply cannot understand how people can justify saying to another group of people that their own experience is wrong" (the experience being that the mascot, the name hurts the Native Americans) It is like saying: "no, your experience is wrong. We will tell you what your experience should be because we mean well." (referring to their experience trying to get things done in the disability movement)

Which is sort of ironic, when you consider how we marginalize people with disabilities precisely because we as a society don't want to think about the challenges we're willing to see them presented with because we can't be bothered or it makes us uncomfortable to think about them.

As for the 1 1/2 thing - I know someone who is very, very good in math (I would say "genius", although they don't say that) and according to this person, it is not possible.

I assume that what the original person meant was that one out of twelve grandparents were native american, which is entirely possible. I doubt they were referring to genetic contributions.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Which is sort of ironic, when you consider how we marginalize people with disabilities precisely because we as a society don't want to think about the challenges we're willing to see them presented with because we can't be bothered or it makes us uncomfortable to think about them.

Plus the idea that disabled people are forever ignorant/childish (pick your term) and cannot know much about life. So non-disabled people :with a heart of gold" need to tell them how it is/what to do/why what they might want is wrong (like disabled people who say they are ok being disabled, don't need or want cures)

I haven't watched the show in a while, I follow it through you guys, because humanity has been too disappointing to me lately and I cannot even laugh at the absurdity of it all. Too many things hitting too close to me, happening not only to me directly, but to people very dear to me. And all because of politics/media spins that make things worse. 

Despite the unhappiness all four fans experienced shooting the segment, they all told the Post they would have gone on the show had they known about the debate ahead of time."

This is complete bs. No, they wouldn't have. They went into complete meltdown when the Native-Americans came in. If you have the convictions of your beliefs, you're not going to flip out and cry and say you were in "danger." Give me a fucking break. Once you finally were able to put a face on your ignorance you realized that your stupid fucking football team really wasn't that important and your world view imploded.  

• Love 2

I assume that what the original person meant was that one out of twelve grandparents were native american, which is entirely possible.

Except no one has twelve blood grandparents, which is the basis of determining membership in tribes.  Nor is it possible to have twelve great-grandparents.  It is four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, sixteen great-great-grandparents, etc.  You have to keep multiplying by two. 

• Love 1

Reagan started the tradition of returning salutes from the troops, and nobody was going to make him stop. It's continued on ever since.

Yeah, I was incorrect about why a president doesn't salute the military, but there was a big discussion about whether Obama was entitled to. Because he's a half-Muslim Kenyan socialist, of course.

Apparently it's not OK to 'disrespect' the military the way Obama did, but it's perfectly OK to disrespect and demean the females in the military.

She isn't in the U.S. military, so she's fair game. Duh.

My remark was not intended to be disparaging of her, but that’s how it was taken.

Really? Reducing her to a body part was not intended to be disparaging, and was simply taken that way by reactionaries (as women are prone to be, I suppose)?

You know us women and our pesky hormones. We're so touchy and have no sense of humor!

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

Except no one has twelve blood grandparents, which is the basis of determining membership in tribes.  Nor is it possible to have twelve great-grandparents.  It is four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, sixteen great-great-grandparents, etc.  You have to keep multiplying by two.

Unless, as I said earlier, your family inbred.

There were points during that hour-long experience where I actually was afraid for my life. I have never been so blatantly threatened, mocked or jeered. It was so intense, so full of vitriol that none of the footage ended up being used in the segment.

I think back to the tailgate: the man blowing cigar smoke in my face, the man who mockingly yelled, “Thanks for letting us use your name!”, the group who yelled at us to “go the fuck home,” the little waif who threatened to cut me, the dude who blew the train horn on his truck as I walked by the hood.

I can understand TDS not including that footage in the tailgating segment, but given the media play the pro-mascot panelists' version of events got, I rather wish had got a glimpse of the unhinged vitriol to which Pensoneau and others were subjected.  Maybe in a tag by Jon about how, on reflection, it's fair that participants could have emerged from their show experience believing they were in danger -- cut to not O'Dell and her cronies, but to the Native Americans working their way through the parking lot as the "civilized" masses hurled epithets and threats at them.

• Love 4
Maybe in a tag by Jon about how, on reflection, it's fair that participants could have emerged from their show experience believing they were in danger -- cut to not O'Dell and her cronies, but to the Native Americans working their way through the parking lot as the "civilized" masses hurled epithets and threats at them.

This was just a mistake not to show this. People's faces could have been blurred out.

• Love 1

The belt that guy had over his shoulder was ridiculously hideous.

That was a belt? I'm not from the US and couldn't work out what I was looking at.

For Australian supporters of civil liberties like me, it's been an exceptionally bad week. I won't go into the details as I'll just get more depressed - but the 'Boobs on the Ground' smackdown was just what the doctor ordered. Thank you, Jon and TDS writers!

Some of the usual garbage from Kurtz, this time on the edited Washington piece: "Jon Stewart thrown for a loss" (58sec). Surprise, surprise. He cut out the last two (and most pertinent) lines from Jon's opening disclaimer. Yes, Howard. After hearing how distressed those fans were, Jon reacquainted himself with his conscience and "did the right thing": he aired their own bullshit, anyway.