Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Coraline Jones said:

That's ridiculous! It's supposed to be live not just a little bit live.

Wondering if they delay it incase they need to censor anything such as unruly crowd, profanity, streakers, etc. 

• Like 1

It also could be that your cable provider (or streaming provider, or whatever you're using) is delayed.  We have Comcast and if I'm in the bedroom with baseball on the radio, then go out to the living room where it's on the TV, I already know what happened because the TV is so far behind real life.  Also applies for phone alerts at the end of the game.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

It also could be that your cable provider (or streaming provider, or whatever you're using) is delayed.  We have Comcast and if I'm in the bedroom with baseball on the radio, then go out to the living room where it's on the TV, I already know what happened because the TV is so far behind real life.  Also applies for phone alerts at the end of the game.

I am streaming from Peacocks streaming channel, no cable provider, etc.

Of the five finals, the 100m women's breaststroke, the 200m men's free, and the 100m men's backstroke were just INSANE!!  I'm loving all these close races, and I'm loving hot Italians standing atop the podium!😍

Tatjana Smith is just lovely, also.

• Like 3
(edited)

The Americans coming in second or third consistently refusing to congratulate the actual gold-medal winners is starting to grate.

Edit:  D'oh!  I'm forgetting about how shitty NBC's coverage is.  NBC's just not airing all of the moments where the athletes congratulate each other.

NBC's coverage sucks.

Edited by Demian
  • Like 3
35 minutes ago, Demian said:

The Americans coming in second or third consistently refusing to congratulate the actual gold-medal winners is starting to grate.

Edit:  D'oh!  I'm forgetting about how shitty NBC's coverage is.  NBC's just not airing all of the moments where the athletes congratulate each other.

NBC's coverage sucks.

I was about to say, I've been watching the Peacock feed (because NBC sucks so much and because I much prefer the feed's commentators), and there's been good sportsmanship among the swimmers.

In other news, Adam Peaty wasn't feeling well before the 100m breaststroke and tested positive for COVID early Monday morning.😬

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, twoods said:

Wondering if they delay it in case they need to censor anything such as unruly crowd, profanity, streakers, etc. 

Or if someone has a gory lnjury, I would hope they would censor that.

Signed... someone who faints at stuff. 🤢 

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 2

This is such a small part of the race, but watching the field of swimmers make the turn while Ledecky’s little flag graphic swims away out of the frame is so funny to me.

• LOL 5

Surprised at Katie Grimes missing the final. Really slow swim for her. 

Do the US even have a standout male swimmer this cycle? I know Caleb Dressel but he’s not at Tokyo level. 

Okay, so Canada did...not so well at the 4x200, but I love the commentators enthusing over our 3rd swimmer and calling him Dr Jeremy (he just got his MD). 

• Like 1

She pulled out of the freestyle. She qualified 16th for the semis and said she wanted to focus on the relays. I guess that 16th is a lot of ground to make up to even qualify for the finals but I'm bummed. I love Maggie. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

She pulled out of the freestyle. She qualified 16th for the semis and said she wanted to focus on the relays. I guess that 16th is a lot of ground to make up to even qualify for the finals but I'm bummed. I love Maggie. 

thanks. 
it's a bummer but i figure it kinda makes sense. Canada is relatively strong in relays so if she feels that she can do better there vs. finishing low in the freestye that's the right choice

I don't know why the name Zac Stubblety-Cook is making me laugh every time I hear it, but I have swimming on in the background and it hits my ear every single time.

• Like 2
  • LOL 12
18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't know why the name Zac Stubblety-Cook is making me laugh every time I hear it, but I have swimming on in the background and it hits my ear every single time.

It's not just me, thank goodness. 🤪

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I just think Gaines was loving saying his name over & over & over & over!

• LOL 1
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Coraline Jones said:

Could someone please throw Steve Kornacki into the Seine? That man is SO ANNOYING! WHY IS HE EVEN GETTING ANY AIRTIME IN THE OLYMPICS?

Given the job that man is going to have 3 months from now, I say let him have his fun.

Edited by kittykat
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
6 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Given the job that man is going to have 3 months from now, I say let him have his fun.

What job is that? He's been with NBC/NBC Sports for a long time. I always dread watching the 'Triple Crown' every year because of him!

8 minutes ago, Coraline Jones said:

What job is that? He's been with NBC/NBC Sports for a long time. I always dread watching the 'Triple Crown' every year because of him!

He'll be the numbers guy during the election.  There was a whole running joke about how he stayed in the same clothes for a week when he covered 2020.

Nice racing from GB.  US just held of the Aussies to snag silver.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kittykat said:

He'll be the numbers guy during the election.  There was a whole running joke about how he stayed in the same clothes for a week when he covered 2020.

Nice racing from GB.  US just held of the Aussies to snag silver.

I don't watch election results (but I do vote), they are either too depressing or too nerve-wracking. I prefer to wait until it's all over.

But I still wish someone would toss him into the Seine! I mute the TV when he appears but I can still see him out of the corner of my eye.

• LOL 6

Mckeown and Smith high-fiving that guy is hilarious. 

Awww…I really wanted this for Smith. Great swim by the Aussie. Love to see the sportsmanship between these guys. 

• Like 2

Bobby Finke chasing down the leaders in Tokyo was one of my favorite moments. Congrats to Ireland this time around!

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Bobby Finke chasing down the leaders in Tokyo was one of my favorite moments. Congrats to Ireland this time around!

Mine too. That was epic — twice!

U.S. just can’t seem to get the gold this year.

6 hours ago, Coraline Jones said:

Could someone please throw Steve Kornacki into the Seine? That man is SO ANNOYING! WHY IS HE EVEN GETTING ANY AIRTIME IN THE OLYMPICS?

This guy is still living off his election fame years later.  He knows he's a nerd.  He's instructed to wear the white shirt and tie, I bet.  Because he's a statistics guy, he's now the guy NBC turns to for everything - horse racing, politics... next he's going to be animately predicting who's going to win the next Voice competition.

So is Peaty still going to compete?  I bet so.  This is not the 2020/21 Covid Olympics...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Souris said:

Mine too. That was epic — twice!

Katie may be our only hope.

• Like 2

I will say though, I’m proud of our collegiate programs. So many athletes from all over the world participating. 

• Like 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, Chaser said:

Mckeown and Smith high-fiving that guy is hilarious. 

Kaylee's kind of awesome.  She is very sweary, known for dropping an F bomb during a post-race interview a couple of years ago.  Her "nerdy" glasses remind me of myself at her age when I was as blind as a bat and had to squint to read anything far away like she does after a race! (I'd still be blind as a bat if I wasn't now old enough to have had cataract surgery!)  And she's got a huge will to win, even if she no longer owns the WR.

10 hours ago, Souris said:

I'm Australian so, US folk, please forgive this comment but (small voice) I actually love that the swimming medals are being shared around many different countries at this Olympics.  It's nowhere near as interesting watching a total cakewalk where one country wins everything.  For me, part of the excitement of sport comes from uncertainty of outcome.  I'd even prefer the medals to be shared around than for Australia to win everything (not that I'm displeased that our women in particular are doing so well, mind you!)  And it's also great to see a new guard of great swimmers emerging like Leon Marchand.  I never thought I'd see the equal of Michael Phelps in terms of dominance across multiple strokes, but in Leon Marchand that's exactly what we're seeing.

Edited by katisha
  • Like 8
  • Applause 3

My favorite thing about the swimming races is when Katie Ledecky is so far ahead that she's (a) the only swimmer in the frame or (b) going in a different direction than everybody else. 

• Like 16
  • Love 2

Kharun wins the first swimming medal for a Canadian man since 2012 (and it might be the only one for a non-McIntosh in Paris).

• Like 4

I know records get broken all the time but putting up the top 20 fastest times feels like a record that will never be broken. Her dominance in this race is insane.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 11

Ledecky is fucking amazing. That's all I got! There's a great post on IG showing her almost touching the wall for the 1500 win, then you scroll through and the next photo is an extension of the image, and there is no other swimmer in the pool because they're so far behind her.

Also, ALLEZ MARCHAND!

• Like 2

I can't say that I'm happy Pan won the 100m free, but I don't root for dopers.

I am, however, thrilled for Sarah Sjöström.  What a comeback!!

Léon Marchand and Katie Ledecky are titans.  Wow.

• Like 3

It’s a hard swim to trust by Pan. The swimmers have talked about it being a slow pool. World records are going to be hard. We’ve only had a couple of Olympic Records so far. The first one is in a sprint, it’s smashed, against this field it’s not close? And it’s from a country with a massive swimming doping scandal.

If he’s clean, it’s incredible. I don’t trust that he’s clean. 

(edited)

Here's a video about Alexander Popov analyzing David Popovici. One Popov about another Popov(ici).

It's an awesome video to watch bc it's insightful, but also because over 30 years after his Olympics, Popov is still hot.

Edited by Is Everyone Gone