Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Souris said:

He has been through announcer boot camp many times over wrangling Tara and Johnny in figure skating. 😂

And our hearts go out to him every year - he clearly has the patience of a saint.

Add to me the “NBC’s broadcast coverage majorly sucks” chorus. They didn’t even show Flavia’s can-can floor routine! 😠

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

There's more work to do but think of where we were twelve or even eight years ago.

It always seemed like an inherently abusive system to me, so I enjoyed the athleticism but was uneasy with the whole package, and when the Athlete A documentary confirmed and expanded all my worst fears, I found it hard to watch at all. 

I have no illusions it's all hunky dory now, but I felt a lot better watching this year than I ever have.  They're still in sparkly leotards, they still have to do the flouncy let me entertain you shit in between athletic moves their male counterparts don't have to do, but they don't look pre-pubescent despite being far from it, they don't all have glitter and bows in their hair, etc. -- they're not simultaneously infantilised and sexualised as they had been for some time, and hopefully the rampant sexual abuse at the hands of Nassar also exposing the other systemic abuses to which they'd been subjected means they have a degree of power they never previously did (which seems to be the case).

Also, I love the Golden Girls team name, since they have an average age that is old, sad as that is, and won the gold.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Whenever a country seems to specialize on a single event (bars for UK for example) I always wonder if it's because the coaches are talented at training that event or do the athletes just happen to collectively prefer it? Same for when a country seems to struggle on a single event (bars again but for Romania). I know Belu back in the day hated the event and coached it only because he had to so at least we know the reason for that one example.

I always assumed GB's bars proficiency was because Beth Tweddle set the precedent but you have a point, it might be due to a particular coach.

And yes, Romania's weakness on bars could probably be traced back to Belu because pre-Belu Romanian's were perfectly good at bars. Nadia's first 10 was on bars.

2 hours ago, Souris said:

I love Suni Lee’s floor routine so much. That music is 🔥 and she is so lyrical with it. 

Her music is gorgeous! What is it? I love it!

26 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Add to me the “NBC’s broadcast coverage majorly sucks” chorus. They didn’t even show Flavia’s can-can floor routine! 😠

It was on my cable broadcast--I just saw it aired a couple of hours ago. (Their broadcast still sucks though.)

• Useful 1
(edited)

Another reason to like Suni: she is dating a black football player at USC despite a lot of hatred from the Hmong community, which she has spoken about.

The relationship with Jaylin Smith was reported to be the reason she has a distant relationship with her parents. 

Edited by Is Everyone Gone
  • Useful 12
6 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

They definitely showed it during the prime time broadcast. You heard the music in the background during someone’s beam routine, but then they went back and showed Flavia’s floor routine a little later. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have no illusions it's all hunky dory now, but I felt a lot better watching this year than I ever have.  They're still in sparkly leotards, they still have to do the flouncy let me entertain you shit in between athletic moves their male counterparts don't have to do, but they don't look pre-pubescent despite being far from it, they don't all have glitter and bows in their hair, etc. -- they're not simultaneously infantilised and sexualised as they had been for some time,

I fully agree with this and as the athleticism has gotten stronger, driven by team USA, I think, although Ellie Black had some moments too, the flouncy stuff looks pretty silly. I will admit, though, I kind of enjoyed the contrast on the floor routines from pose-y arm flails (oh yeah, I could do that) to those wild tumbling passes (could never do in a million years).

• Like 1
12 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Why did NBC replace Nastia?

I don't know but I'm low-key grateful. I never had a problem with her commentary but as she started wearing those ridiculous dresses more and more--especially when we only see the commentators in person a few times during the broadcast--it got very cringe-y and "look at me, look at meeee!" Just wear a polo or a sports jacket like a typical commentator, Nastia.

Yeah, I found the constant reaction shots to Jordan's parents--well, that's a choice, I guess. It's not like her mother's pas isn't easily googlable.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, absnow54 said:

They definitely showed it during the prime time broadcast. You heard the music in the background during someone’s beam routine, but then they went back and showed Flavia’s floor routine a little later. 

They also showed Flavia’s routine during the live broadcast. They talked about her eye, said she had the fun can-can music and that she is a popular athlete in Brazil.

Btw, if you are not relishing MyKayla Skinner being ended by Simone on insta and subsequently canceled by everyone in the world, you probably have a life unlike me.

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
41 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

They also showed Flavia’s routine during the live broadcast. They talked about her eye, said she had the fun can-can music and that she is a popular athlete in Brazil.

Btw, if you are not relishing MyKayla Skinner being ended by Simone on insta and subsequently canceled by everyone in the world, you probably have a life unlike me.

Michelle Kwan commented on that post and I do not recall her throwing shade at anyone before. Ever. I'd quit social media forever if I was the target. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

Ooooh, please, tell us more!

• Like 5

Sometimes I think the pommel horse is cruel and unusual punishment. And then I watch the athletes who specialize on it, and I think that’s kind of nice. 

• Like 3
(edited)

Here is Simone's post. For the background, Skinner said she didn't think (other than Simone) that this team had the same work ethic/talent as prior teams and that SafeSport has made it so coaches can't really get on athletes to work harder.

Simone, on Threads, said simply that some people shouldn't have a mic.

Yesterday, Simone posted this. Captioning it, "lack of talent, lazy, olympic champions"

https://www.instagram.com/p/C-ESNIFIQ8l/?img_index=1

Mykayla Maroney responded: It doesn’t get more iconic than this.. She f’d around n found out fr. Feels like I need to apologize just to redeem my first name

Michelle Kwan: Four letter word for all the haters - G.O.A.T 🐐!!! Bravo.

The comments are great!

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 12
(edited)

I love that the world feed shows the Kazakhstan guy Milad Karimi's rings routine.  Zhang Boheng off to rough start on floor after a fall.

Edited by kittykat
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Her music is gorgeous! What is it? I love it!

"Eye of the Untold Her" by Lindsey Stirling.

I'm familiar with a good deal of Lindsey Stirling's music. Beautiful works.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

Ooooh, please, tell us more!

So after Olympic trials, Skinner (who has done some, let’s say not so nice things in the past) posted this awful video where she talked about how the gymnasts today (except Simone) don’t have work ethic and how Suni Lee doesn’t have a “gymnastics body,” whatever that means. A ton of gymnasts including Simone unfollowed her, a few people commented about it and she made one of those “sorry if you’re upset” videos. Since it was insincere, no one bought it and she released a statement saying “No, really, I’m sorry.”

So after they won the gold yesterday, Simone made an insta post with the caption of “lack of talent, lazy, Olympic champions.” And all hell broke loose as every gymnast and actually everyone in the world has commented because they knew what Simone was referring to. The story has even been picked up by the national media. 

Really…go read the comments on Simone’s post. It’s breathtaking.

• Like 11
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1

And Pommel claims JPN too

Juda has a messy landing Vault. I wonder if Fred and Juda couldn’t control the adrenaline from the Team Final.

(edited)

Not the best day for the Americans so far.  At least they got their bronze.

Damn that pommel horse.  Just switched to multi feed and Shinossuke did great. Zhang survived pommel too.

Edited by kittykat
14 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

So after Olympic trials, Skinner (who has done some, let’s say not so nice things in the past) posted this awful video where she talked about how the gymnasts today (except Simone) don’t have work ethic and how Suni Lee doesn’t have a “gymnastics body,” whatever that means. A ton of gymnasts including Simone unfollowed her, a few people commented about it and she made one of those “sorry if you’re upset” videos. Since it was insincere, no one bought it and she released a statement saying “No, really, I’m sorry.”

So after they won the gold yesterday, Simone made an insta post with the caption of “lack of talent, lazy, Olympic champions.” And all hell broke loose as every gymnast and actually everyone in the world has commented because they knew what Simone was referring to. The story has even been picked up by the national media. 

I am aware of Skinner. I winced when she made the team in Tokyo. Sounds like she got a well-deserved put down! 😊😊😊

26 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

The likes are up to almost three million.

• Like 3

Holy crap. one of the Canadian gymnasts (Felix Dolci) was on high bar and his grip ripped and he went flying into the mat during a release. It was so scary. He gets to go again. and he fell again. but you could tell he was totally shaken. it's so disappointing because he was in third place.  (I mean we all know he's going to drop more. Canada wasn't expected to win. but what a disappointment for sure)

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 8
(edited)

Oh Canada! That was brutal.  

This is all over the place.  Jarman falls to 10th with a shaky rings routine after starting in 2nd. Oka barely holding 1st and Hashimoto falls to 18th.

Also if you look online the difference between 1st and 9th is barely one tenth of a point.  This could get interesting.

I'm keeping my eye on the Hungarian.  I don't think his start values are super high but he's had four clean routines.

Edited by kittykat
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Also if you look online the difference between 1st and 9th is barely one tenth of a point.  This could get interesting.

yeah. and the thing is Felix Dolci is actually pretty good and consistent - (his weakest event - the entire team actually is Pommel Horse) - so if he didn't fall, and with all this drama going on he could have done really well. if he hits everything, and has a steady pommel horse you know this is going to live rent free in his head for a very long time. 

I always want "Drama" during the allaround (I hate it when it's all predictable etc, for any sport). but i don't want my drama to be splat-fest filled. i just want it to be a bit spicy!

• Like 2

I’m getting limited feed right now and didn’t see the Dolci high bar. UGH. I’ve got Ilia on parallel right now.

I know nothing about Jake Jarman, but that facial hair reminds me of guys I went to high school with trying to look edgy and cool.

• LOL 1

The two Ukrainians are doing well.  Kovtun just posted a massive P.Bar score.  I think it's their strongest event but we'll see if they can hold.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Skinner has some of the ugliest form I’ve ever seen, to go after Suni is unbelievable. 

Especially considering she and Suni were teammates in Tokyo and knowing what Suni went through with her kidney disease, like how shitty of a person do you have to be to say such things about her? How hard is it to … not say anything bad about Suni? Here, look at me, I’m doing it right now!

That fall from the Canadian gymnast was scary. Yikes. His hands were all bloody!

• Like 11
10 minutes ago, Daisy said:

WHOA WHAT?! Oleg Verniav's mother is LIlia Podkopayeva?!?!

HOLY. CRAP. ON. A. CRACKER. 

She's LIlia Podkopayeva  and she's still doing the parental "Ahhh! I can't look!" Love it. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I don't know who to root for harder, the Ukrainian guys for what a medal would mean for their country or the British because they landed in the heartbreaker spot (4th) in Teams and would be nice if they could snag one.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Chaser said:

She might as well have tagged Skinner in that. LOL

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Here is Simone's post. For the background, Skinner said she didn't think (other than Simone) that this team had the same work ethic/talent as prior teams and that SafeSport has made it so coaches can't really get on athletes to work harder.

Simone, on Threads, said simply that some people shouldn't have a mic.

Yesterday, Simone posted this. Captioning it, "lack of talent, lazy, olympic champions"

https://www.instagram.com/p/C-ESNIFIQ8l/?img_index=1

Mykayla Maroney responded: It doesn’t get more iconic than this.. She f’d around n found out fr. Feels like I need to apologize just to redeem my first name

Michelle Kwan: Four letter word for all the haters - G.O.A.T 🐐!!! Bravo.

The comments are great!

Ha.. the comments on the original post were brutal. Multiple generations of gymnasts plus athletes from other sports ..some who definitely knew the context. I would nuke my social media if that happened to me. How much of a a-hole do you have to be for you to comment to the work ethic and bodies of gymnasts when you never made a team? She's an Olympian but she got in on the weird you can compete as a individual athlete thing from the last Olympics. 

• Like 8
20 minutes ago, Daisy said:

WHOA WHAT?! Oleg Verniav's mother is LIlia Podkopayeva?!?!

HOLY. CRAP. ON. A. CRACKER. 

What, what, what??! Is she in the stands?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

What, what, what??! Is she in the stands?

YEAH!! Oleg did his routine, and Kyle Shewfelt said There's his Mother, LILLYPOD!  and she was like hiding her face lol because she couldn't see and then her husband is like it's okay and she's like YAH!!! and starts waving the Ukrainian Flag, and i was like. holy crap how old am I?  (then i didn't want to answer that lmao). 

but i was like wow. 

OMG. China made a big mistake there on bars. 
and it cost him the gold medal

2nd day in a row, China hands over gold to Japan. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
(edited)

Hell yeah! Shinossuke Oka!  You were one of the few to land six clean routines and earned that gold.

Pour one out for Illia Kovtun.  He did so well and got fourth.  Once again start values decide the game.

Xiao Routeng (CHN) got the bronze.  

Edited by kittykat
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, Daisy said:

YEAH!! Oleg did his routine, and Kyle Shewfelt said There's his Mother, LILLYPOD!  and she was like hiding her face lol because she couldn't see and then her husband is like it's okay and she's like YAH!!! and starts waving the Ukrainian Flag, and i was like. holy crap how old am I?  (then i didn't want to answer that lmao). 

but i was like wow. 

OMG. China made a big mistake there on bars. 
and it cost him the gold medal

2nd day in a row, China hands over gold to Japan. 

I don’t think she’s his mother. It’s not online and she would have been 15

4 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I don’t think she’s his mother. It’s not online and she would have been 15

now i'm just confused lol i'm trying to find it on the live stream. (but maybe it was more of. "his Parents are in the stand and Lilila Pod. is there and she can't watch" 

my mistake. it really sounded like Kyle was saying Lilila was his mother. LOL thanks for the correct!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

I am aware of Skinner. I winced when she made the team in Tokyo. Sounds like she got a well-deserved put down! 😊😊😊

To be clear, while Skinner was an Olympian in 2020 and did earn the silver medal in vault, she did NOT make the team. She was given the individual spot the US earned in the AA World Cup series for those games.

So her ridiculous comments are extra ridiculous because she NEVER made a US Olympic team in gymnastics.

We stan our petty queen, Simone! 👑

• Like 11
  • Useful 1