Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, atomic said:

Very sweet display of sportsmanship and sisterhood ❤️spacer.png 

Thank you for posting this, it was so adorable. It made up for what was a rather blechh day of gymnastics. Beam final was just horrible.

• Like 10
28 minutes ago, Souris said:

Was coming to post the same photo!

Kind of a weird morning of gymnastics. I bet they are all exhausted.

I wonder if it was the three days of event finals, I’m sure everyone was just tired and over it. High bar and beam were just awful. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

Bummer. I wanted Simone to conclude her Olympics on a high, but I’m also really excited for Rebecca. She deserves the be a gold medalist. 

Simone looked so happy for Rebecca. She did end on a high.

I know we expect gold medals from her, but any medal is fantastic. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Simone looked so happy for Rebecca. She did end on a high.

I know we expect gold medals from her, but any medal is fantastic. 

It’s honestly gross at this point. To be expected to win a gold every time and for people to dump all over you when you don’t. I would never ever want that kind of pressure, nothing good ever comes from it, because eventually even winning just feels like a relief.

Lots of people root for underdogs, but I think it’s easy to be an underdog.

• Like 15

The coach’s reaction to Jordan’s Bronze was really touching. I don’t know if I’ve seen her that excited. You know they have a wonderful relationship. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Bummer. I wanted Simone to conclude her Olympics on a high, but I’m also really excited for Rebecca. She deserves the be a gold medalist. 

Haven't seen it yet, but I hope Simone feels.no shame about a silver. I loathe when athletes act like it's gold or nothing and silver and bronze somehow don't count. Also, so happy for Rebecca bc she just seems like a super cool person and she's a great competitor. Good for her, good for Brazil!

• Like 7
5 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

What, did someone spread butter on the beam? So many falls! 🥲

The Beam was a ruthless cow all Olympics. 

• LOL 1

Between the Beam and High Bar, there was more carnage than the House of the Dragon finale.

Must be heartbreaking for Barbosu who'd thought she had the bronze.

• Like 8
  • Sad 4
44 minutes ago, surfgirl said:

Haven't seen it yet, but I hope Simone feels.no shame about a silver. I loathe when athletes act like it's gold or nothing and silver and bronze somehow don't count. Also, so happy for Rebecca bc she just seems like a super cool person and she's a great competitor. Good for her, good for Brazil!

here i am to be the devil's advocate. 

a lot of people go to the Olympics for a lot of different things. 
some people's Olympics are legit the Opening Ceremonies and that's it. they know they're not gonna place. Some people's goals are to be top 20, or top 10. some are to be in the top 5. some want to medal [thus - happy with anything] and some people their goal (and if you look at the path to get there) is gold. and when you don't win. (especially if it's because that day you just didn't play well, or it was a splat fest or whatever). the Silver/Bronze isn't really a "oh I won something." it could be a reminder of i had it in that moment, and i failed. It takes a hot minute (in by minute i mean days, weeks, months, years) to reconcile the fact that while you didn't become the champion that you expected - that you still won). it's a really deep human emotion and I'm not really going to berate people for again not being all rah rah happy happy that they lost when they expected to win mostly because I don't know if I would be all ooh it's okay, if my intention was to win. I would be a good SPORT and clap and be happy for the winner. 

I just look at like Maroney's bitch pout in London. I actually do remember saying something about it, but now that I am older - i totally. get that face. (I can't even control my own lol so i don't even know why i gave her crap for it). but if you have this idea that I am the best. everyone knows I am the best and you end up not being the best - chances are that's the face i'm making in that moment. 

when the emotions are more even keel, every athlete will tell you they are happy/proud of their medal and it's just the same as gold. but the first few days etc - I think they're allowed to be emotional the way they wanna be.  (as long as they are not complete and utter brats/unsportsmanlike to the others). 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

If we look at the fun Jordan and Simone had with Rebecca on the podium, it’s pretty clear she’s fine with it. Simone is 27 and has already shown the world she values her own mental health over medals of any kind. 

They know each other from years of International competition.  They should be happy for each other.

I'm thrilled for Alice, Kaylia, Carlos, Rebecca, and all the other countries that rarely shine in gymnastics,  making an impact in their sport.

• Like 8

I would have liked to see Biles get the gold of course, but I'm happy for Andrade.  She's also a senior in this sport and she deserves it!

I guess inquiries happen.  The other Romanian had an inquiry to see if she could bump ahead of Barbosu and didn't get there.  So it's only fair that Chiles got to do as well.  I wonder if inquiries like this happen often, I'm sure if somebody's close to medaling that you try anything.  Sort of like the baseball manager asking for instant replay review on a call.

But I felt bad for Babosu.  She literally had the Romanian flag around her shoulders and she was about to walk out on the floor to celebrate.  The camera cut so we didn't see her expression afterwards, but I'm sure she was devastated.

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

So from Suni’s interview and I guess the press conference it seems a lot of the gymnasts were thrown by the dead quiet on the beam. Apparently they wanted some music or ambient noise and got dead silence to the point of being able to hear a cell phone ring. I bet that REALLY threw them off, it was so quiet I was uncomfortable even watching it.

I guess the crowd thought it was like a performance like a ballet and thought it was disrespectful to have any noise at all. Which is great for a show but not so great when these girls are used to noises when they do beam, whether in practice or competition. Oh well!

• Like 1
  • Useful 8
5 minutes ago, Chaser said:

People actually shushed anyone who tried to cheer. 

Yeah, I can really see this throwing them off. And it clearly did, and then the last day of events after a long competition and everyone’s exhausted and this day a suddenly makes a lot more sense.

• Like 2

They were even shushing gymnasts who tried to encourage their competitors. I mean--the nerve...where do you get off shushing the athletes? Take a seat.

I feel terrible for Ana. It's gymnastics and it happens but she was so thrilled at first.

• Like 7

From what I’m hearing through the grapevine, it was leap Jordan did. She didn’t fully execute in the qualifying or finals so the judges hadn’t given her credit it. She did here though. Sounds like her coaches were ready with the inquiry.

Poor Ana. I guess in one of the feeds she was already on the floor with the flag. Emotions are high, but her coaches should have seen that inquiry and told her to hold on. And also, the inquiry was submitted prior to the first score. Why not delay?

I’m so thrilled for Jordan but that felt cruel. 

• Like 4

I just gotta comment that I hate that wolf spin (?) where the athlete crouches and is spinning on one leg while the other leg is outstretched. Even when done well, it looks like the athlete is going to fall over and it's an ugly position. It[s difficult to do well, which is why I suppose it looks like a required maneuver, but it looks awkward and I just don't like it at all. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, greyhorse said:

I guess inquiries happen.  The other Romanian had an inquiry to see if she could bump ahead of Barbosu and didn't get there.  So it's only fair that Chiles got to do as well.  I wonder if inquiries like this happen often, I'm sure if somebody's close to medaling that you try anything.  Sort of like the baseball manager asking for instant replay review on a call.

They have to pay to submit an inquiry (they get the money back if they win) and an inquiry can result in a lower score so it’s only worth it in certain situations. 

4 hours ago, Chaser said:

From what I’m hearing through the grapevine, it was leap Jordan did. She didn’t fully execute in the qualifying or finals so the judges hadn’t given her credit it. She did here though. Sounds like her coaches were ready with the inquiry.

Yep. They knew the judges were downgrading her difficulty on that leap but it only made sense to challenge when she was just off the podium. Jordan’s coach has said she wasn’t sure about the landing but felt they had nothing to lose with the inquiry. Jordan didn’t even know it was happening until her score was changed. 

I thought the judging was questionable throughout the women’s events today (I didn’t watch the men’s events). The scores were taking forever which is always a red flag and don’t even get me started on penalizing Biles for her salute on beam. 🙄

Edited by Makai
  • Like 3
  • Angry 1
  • Applause 3

Yes, I did not enjoy today’s events at all. I suppose parallel bars for men was ok, but I didn’t actually watch it as I was getting some much needed extra sleep. But literally every other event was mostly a mess. And it was such a great competition up to today. It kind of ended on a whomp-whomp note.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Makai said:

don’t even get me started on penalizing Biles for her salute on beam

Yeah, that's some straight up "your bra strap is showing" Stick It bullshit.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

I will say that I am glad there is a lot of praise for Simone’s graciousness with losing gold today. Lots of complimentary articles on what an amazing person she is (and she is, it’s why she’s my all-time favorite).  The narrative is a positive one, at least in my feeds.

Sadly, the controversy surrounding Jordan’s bronze medal seems to be what the haters are feeding on this Olympics. Sigh. There’s always something.

• Like 3

I just watched all four apparatus finals (I love being able to fast-forward to just the routines and scores themselves – saves so much time), and all of them were a mess.  Even parallel bars had a surprising number of mistakes.  Beam was the most horrific event final I think I'd ever seen, and then high bar was like, "LOL, watch THIS!"  And then floor was like, "And you go out of bounds, and you go out of bounds, and you, Simone, go especially out of bounds" – mess.

I honestly think a lot of them were just done.  Suni looked nervous before beam, and that usually presages a shaky routine.  Simone just seemed done.  Zhang just could not buy a clean routine, although he did hang on for bronze on high bar since four of the eight finalists were murdered.

The parallel bars results were exactly right, and I was especially thrilled for Illia.  I wish he were actually 27 the way I think he looks because I feel very lecherous finding him so attractive.

As much as beam was a nightmare from hell, I am beyond excited for both Alice and Manila (and Zhou).  Rebeca missed some connections and had some not quite 180º leaps, and that will do you in on beam.

Oka on high bar was literally the only really clean routine, even if his start value was pretty low comparatively, so he deserved that gold.  Still, how amazing that Barajas won silver!!!  I'm loving how so many non-powerhouse countries medaled in the men's events!  That tie for bronze between two routines with major problems feels exactly right for this final.

It is just exactly right for today that the two passes I was most concerned about for Simone were the two she landed wonderfully and the two I was not concerned about were the two she landed/stepped out on.  Gah!  One is OK, two are not, and she knew that.  In the end, though, Rebeca did have the cleanest routine, and it was so wonderful to see her eke out a gold after her two individual silvers.  I'm thrilled for Jordan since I thought her routine was the second cleanest after Rebeca's.  Simone's and Jordan's bows to Rebeca...

spacer.png

The camaraderie between all the gymnasts (male and female) has been one of my favorite things about these Games.

I am happy the gymnastics events are done because I'm emotionally drained.

• Like 13
  • Applause 3

Man Go Alice!! that was a really great routine. So was the Chinese girl and Manilla (also from Italy).  it really seemed that the Beam was roused from its slumber for one more day. 

• Like 3

I thought it was odd that half of them fell and if you add in near falls, it's almost all of them. Maybe someone just cleaned the beam before the competition? I know that others have said the sound or lack their off. I guess, but it seems odd that this would have effected most of them. That being said, I was surprised that Rebecca didn't medal after her pretty good routine, as she didn't fall (and I'm not sure if that was a near miss either). But at least she got the gold in floor.

Re: Jordan’s Bronze, Simone and Suni on Beam

I have got to stop reading comments on articles. The bottom half of the internet is particularly stupid about the Olympics. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 5

Honestly, the gymnasts were having problems on both beam and high bar during each round of competition (qualifying, team, all-around, and event finals).  It was really noticeable to me since I don't think I can remember so many issues on specific apparatuses.  It felt like there was a virus on both beam and high bar, and it spread like wildfire to each gymnast.😬

• Like 1
1 hour ago, blueray said:

I thought it was odd that half of them fell and if you add in near falls, it's almost all of them. Maybe someone just cleaned the beam before the competition? I know that others have said the sound or lack their off. I guess, but it seems odd that this would have effected most of them. That being said, I was surprised that Rebecca didn't medal after her pretty good routine, as she didn't fall (and I'm not sure if that was a near miss either). But at least she got the gold in floor.

(Almost) all also had issues in a similar spot, the third on the right and they all had issues to the same side (they all went down or almost down towards the camera). 
It was almost has if the beam was ever so slightly crooked. Since I don't think that that could have been the case, though, I think it might have been an issue with spotting. If, for some reason (lights, for example), the line of sight was off even by just a tiny margin then they'd spot left or right of center which would put them off-balance. 

• Useful 6

I watched some of the videos that were posted from the 1992 era and the thing that strikes me the most is that the gymnasts looked like underfed little girls - compare that to the team of 2024 - beautiful, healthy-looking young women.

• Like 15
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CM-BlueButterfly said:

(Almost) all also had issues in a similar spot, the third on the right and they all had issues to the same side (they all went down or almost down towards the camera). 
It was almost has if the beam was ever so slightly crooked. Since I don't think that that could have been the case, though, I think it might have been an issue with spotting. If, for some reason (lights, for example), the line of sight was off even by just a tiny margin then they'd spot left or right of center which would put them off-balance. 

On that subject, this picture made me realize how little contrast there is between the beam and the mat. Such a disservice to the athletes. 
image.thumb.jpeg.3403afb6cab2dca9d381a04d96f8a28b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Useful 3
8 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I just gotta comment that I hate that wolf spin (?) where the athlete crouches and is spinning on one leg while the other leg is outstretched. Even when done well, it looks like the athlete is going to fall over and it's an ugly position. It[s difficult to do well, which is why I suppose it looks like a required maneuver, but it looks awkward and I just don't like it at all. 

I'm the opposite -- I don't know how any of them, even with all their training, do anything they do, but that particular move on the beam contrasted with the same on the floor is particularly impressive and I enjoy seeing it. 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, blueray said:

Rebeca either decided to water down her routine or was unable to perform all her elements but her D score was lower and the higher execution score was not enough to make up for it. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
16 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

me too.  the wolf turn. the squat flip thing (I forgot what it's called).  there are a couple of other moves that i really don't like. 

Re:Beam routines, I find all the 'artistic' bits really robotic and awkward. They always come across to me as just perfunctory move.ents that one is required to do and they usually don't add anything to the routines for me. I'd rather beam routines were mainly flips and twirls and such and just 86 the silly poses and hand flourishes. 

Also, I didn't feel this year's final floor routines were all that choreographed. There was a time when the gymnasts would coordinate to exciting music but I wasnt feeling it this year at all.

• Like 8
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm the opposite -- I don't know how any of them, even with all their training, do anything they do, but that particular move on the beam contrasted with the same on the floor is particularly impressive and I enjoy seeing it. 

I liked seeing it on the beam, but on the floor it looked like they all kind of fell out of it. I honestly thought it was a mistake at first. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Chaser said:

I’m so thrilled for Jordan but that felt cruel. 

Yeah it was a bit strange.  I’m happy for Jordan because she seems like a cool chick and ‘merica and all that, but right after the Romanian performance (sorry her name escapes me) the commentators thought she might even surpass Rebecca.  When she came up in third, they seemed surprised her coaches weren’t questioning it.  Good for Jordan that she had coaches advocating for her but I did feel awful the other girl didn’t have the same.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, surfgirl said:

Re:Beam routines, I find all the 'artistic' bits really robotic and awkward. They always come across to me as just perfunctory move.ents that one is required to do and they usually don't add anything to the routines for me. I'd rather beam routines were mainly flips and twirls and such and just 86 the silly poses and hand flourishes. 

Also, I didn't feel this year's final floor routines were all that choreographed. There was a time when the gymnasts would coordinate to exciting music but I wasnt feeling it this year at all.

I agree with this, most more so in a floor routine. I wish they would get rid of this requirement and let them preform naturally.

• Like 5