Type keyword(s) to search

America's Sweethearts: Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Follow the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders from auditions to training camp and the NFL season as they chase their dreams and a coveted spot on the squad.

On Netflix, premiered June 20, 2024.

Discuss the show here!

Edited by bilgistic
(edited)
8 hours ago, cherryblossom said:

her little pathetic birthday party which her mother wants to put on TikTok.

I have in my mind that the sad little party was just cake with her mother & she later on had a real party with her friends Dayton & Samantha.

Edited by ByTor
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I have in my mind that the sad little party was just cake with her mother & she later on had a real party with her friends Dayton & Samantha.

Are Dayton and Victoria still friends? Dayton doesn't follow her on Instagram.

But I totally agree - that party scene was staged for the cameras. Victoria has a lot of love outside of DCC in her dance and fitness circle.

58 minutes ago, StellaCL said:

Are Dayton and Victoria still friends? Dayton doesn't follow her on Instagram.

Oh that's interesting.

I just finished the show and was so happy to revisit the DCC.   I really enjoyed the 7 hours of television and seeing the differences from CMT.

My Thoughts:

1. Kelcey is as milquetoast as I thought she was.   In year’s past, the PTB elevated personalities.   Kelcey seems a departure.   I do find her and her fiancé interesting.  I look forward to seeing where they’re headed next.

2. Kelli is striking in a black turtleneck sweater dress with her hair up — white fuzz be damned.

3. The weatherman persists.   Me: I wonder if Scott is judging this season.  Mom: Who?   Me:  You know, the guy who criticized Victoria to Kristy and Marshall’s surprise.   [seeing Scott criticize her again] He did it again!  Man, he really doesn’t like her.

4. Shelly Bramhall is still gorgeous.  I like her so much.

5. I like Victoria more after this series.    She brings a lot of the vitriol in herself, but I have been on the same end of the cold shoulder and it’s not fun—even when you kind of deserve it.   

6. Caroline and Tina’s conversation at the alumni mixer was cringey.  

7. Caroline’s suggested Thanksgiving comments for AK was clever AF.  

8. Caroline breaking down how to succeed in Training Camp was shockingly honest.   This and #7 helped to understand there is more to her than I thought.

9. Where is Marshall?

10. Got the feels seeing Denise Dicharry’s initials on a sticker.  I missed seeing her teach.

11. I wonder what kind of deal out of area TCCs get at the Gaylord.   Didn’t Jinelle stay at the Days Inn or something equally low rent?

12. Kelli discussing Suzanne Mitchell made me happy.

• Like 7

I loved watching this!  I really liked seeing all the behind the scenes stuff. I have more empathy for Victoria, but I do feel a lot of that she brought on herself.  I was surprised at how hard Kelli and Judy were on her.  I didn't like how they kept somewhat picking on Madeline.  Girl had just lost her dad and is in a stadium that is full of his memory.  Leave her be!

Reece is cute, but I don't see that marriage lasting long.  I may be wrong, but we'll see.

• Like 4

It seems like the general public really dislikes this series. I keep reading on Twitter how they want the organization to pay the girls more. I completely agree. But I’m honestly not shocked by Charlotte’s explanation. She said the same in DCC: MTT. This is to be expected from someone who is just handed a job by her father. Who literally never had to work hard a day in her life.  Same goes for Haley and all their “cousins” and any other relatives that works for the organization. Haley looked miserable and bitchy in every scene she was in. She literally was smiling while walking Ari to Kelli and Judy when she was going to be cut. Charlotte telling Kelli to just cut Ari because the squad is 36 girls instead of telling her the truth about her height is enraging. 

I missed seeing more guest choreography in the Netflix series.  

They also didn’t show much of the fitness or nutrition aspect.  Does Jay the fitness trainer still work for the Cowboys? 

I was expecting to see at least one wedding being shown of the girls doing thunderstruck and how they say it’s a sisterhood tradition that it’s done! 😂

Lastly, I am also surprised when they discussed legacies they never brought up Judy and Cassie. 

• Like 4
(edited)

I liked the show. I just wish they would’ve shown more of the cheerleaders. It just felt like the Victoria and Kelsey show. I loved that Caroline was giving a retirees perspective. I learned a lot about the cheerleaders because of her comments and frankly, because of the fact that she lived it. I also appreciated Kate  comments. She was really raw and transparent.

I really like Ari and I know that she’s been trying to make the team for a few years. I can’t remember how many times she’s tried out, but I thought she was great. What is wrong with her Hite? They have several short women on the team currently in the past. I can’t believe Charlotte is even thinking about having a height requirement won’t that mess up their precious kick line because they put the shortest cheerleaders on the ends of the kick line. it just seems to me that Charlotte has something else against Ari. I hope Ari watched that she understands that Kelly really wanted her, but unfortunately she had to do Boss told her to do. 

And they could’ve focused on more than one rookie I mean Reese is sweet and all, but I would’ve loved to hear about Taylor . She was actually my favorite addition to the team and she can really dance.

Edited by JustPeachie
  • Like 5
(edited)

I would’ve cut Kennedy and Zoe and replaced with Charly or Ariana. I know Kennedy wasn’t on the show. But she seems like such a blender. From what I have seen of Zoe, she’s just okay.  

I agree that I wish I got to know more of the rookies.

Edited by TUOwl84
  • Like 4
On 6/23/2024 at 10:43 AM, TUOwl84 said:

Charlotte telling Kelli to just cut Ari because the squad is 36 girls instead of telling her the truth about her height is enraging. 

And it was stupid. Charlotte said that would prevent Kelli from having a "difficult discussion." Ok fine...but what if she asked "What did I do to make me not be top 36?" What then?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

And it was stupid. Charlotte said that would prevent Kelli from having a "difficult discussion." Ok fine...but what if she asked "What did I do to make me not be top 36?" What then?

It really begs the question, what did they tell Ariana in 2022? I wanna know! She came back, so it was probably somewhat encouraging, a big mistake on K&J because her height issue was not going to go away. Maybe they were betting that some of the tall girls in the kickline would retire by 2023? I don't know. I am sure there have been years when they had mostly short dancers.

Also, just my take, I don't feel like the Ari cut was the first time she had been called into the office that training camp on AS. She seemed to instantly know and said very little beyond, "I think God has another plan for me." I think if it was her first time in the office that season she may have seemed more surprised and had more questions.

• Like 4

I jumped ahead to the Thanksgiving Game episode because I wanted to test the waters and I wanted to see how they worked it all out with Dolly Parton. Way too many Kalinas for my taste so I will not be watching the rest of it.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, GBDCCfan said:

I jumped ahead to the Thanksgiving Game episode because I wanted to test the waters and I wanted to see how they worked it all out with Dolly Parton. Way too many Kalinas for my taste so I will not be watching the rest of it.

This is definitely not a series you can watch out of order. The episodes build on each other.

• Like 4
On 6/23/2024 at 10:44 PM, shipmate said:

Reece has that Michelle Dugger type voice. Tons of stage presence though.

Absolutely! The voice, she’s very religious, the whole first date with her boyfriend experience….You’d almost think we’d got the first Duggar daughter on the squad! (Not that JB would ever allow that to happen….)

Edited by LilyD
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

Absolutely! The voice, she’s very religious, the whole first date with her boyfriend experience….You’d almost think we’d got the first Duggar daughter on the squad! (Not that JB would ever allow that to happen….)

Speaking of the Duggars, anyone see a similarity between Caroline and Jana? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, JarlenaFan2024 said:

Is Marshall even styling the DCC anymore??

Good question. I assume they go to Tangerine at The Star, but he works in the Dallas salon.

Edited by ByTor

I also forgot to mention how creepy I thought it was with that tour guide and the four guys he took into the locker room.  I hope he got some backlash for his behavior.  The guys are probably very nice, but they looked to me like your basic good ol' boy who won't take No from a woman and it didn't help that he had them pose like their favorite, talk about how tour guides didn't have a fraternization clause with the cheerleaders and then the one guy asking if he had their phone numbers. Just, ew.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, tarheel220 said:

I also forgot to mention how creepy I thought it was with that tour guide and the four guys he took into the locker room.  I hope he got some backlash for his behavior.  The guys are probably very nice, but they looked to me like your basic good ol' boy who won't take No from a woman and it didn't help that he had them pose like their favorite, talk about how tour guides didn't have a fraternization clause with the cheerleaders and then the one guy asking if he had their phone numbers. Just, ew.

Right? It didn't help that they were old enough to be the cheerleaders' dads too. Just gross.

• Like 1

Were there alternates and/or more than 36 on the team the past few years?  Why was it so upsetting for Kelli to have to let *Ari go if they're usually at 36? Wouldn't she know that she had 1 or 2 more cuts to make?  Is it typically her (and Judy's) decision, or was it different this year with Charlotte telling her she had to cut Ari?  What am I not following here?!?!!?

*Not saying Ari (or Charly) deserved to be cut. I liked them both a lot. 

If it was Kelli's decision, I wonder who the two would have been if not Charly and Ari.

Edited by woodscommaelle
5 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Were there alternates and/or more than 36 on the team the past few years?  Why was it so upsetting for Kelli to have to let *Ari go if they're usually at 36? Wouldn't she know that she had 1 or 2 more cuts to make?  Is it typically her (and Judy's) decision, or was it different this year with Charlotte telling her she had to cut Ari?  What am I not following here?!?!!?

*Not saying Ari (or Charly) deserved to be cut. I liked them both a lot. 

If it was Kelli's decision, I wonder who the two would have been if not Charly and Ari.

Charlotte, as the big DCC boss, has the final say on squad size, which normally is 36. IIrc the squads of 2012, 2016 and 2019 were larger for whatever reason and she was ok with that. I cannot remember ever hearing her being so vocal against a specific cheerleader like now, though there were persistent rumors that she wanted to get rid of Ann Lux years back. 

As for Kelli, I’ve never seen her this emotional over a rookie cut. She really seemed to like Ari. It happened before that she really liked a specific rookie. But…as director she usually was in a position to get them on the squad (thinking Morgan for example) This time, the choice was made for her. She was bluntly told to get rid of Ari, whereas she obviously didn’t want to.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I'm glad for Victoria's sake that she did not come back for a 5th year. Even assuming they would take her back into training camp, on a DCC InstaStory, they revealed the current training camp groups. While I think they're preliminary, it's pretty indicative of who the GLs/2GLs will be and I don't see Victoria being given a leadership role.

Further, last year Megan was a 3-year vet and assigned 2nd Group Leader over a lot of 4-year vets. It would've been too obvious and, yes, embarrassing to be bypassed as a vet of 5 years.

Grammar check. 

Edited by DizzySometimes86
  • Like 4
21 hours ago, tarheel220 said:

My friend and I toured The Star and AT&T Stadium in March '23.  I remember the tour guides had those headset mics.  Ours was funny and I really don't remember if anyone (male or female) got to pose on the girls' lockers at the stadium.

Edited by JarlenaFan2024
added something and can't spell/type

Shame on Charlotte for that entitled speech about how the cheerleaders don't want a salary because "being a DCC is a calling."

Not enough focus on practices and performances. Very slick PR show.

Reece would drive me crazy. But boy she can perform.

Victoria has internalized all of the focus on looks, plus her mother's DCC obsession. She's a prisoner of her mother's expectations and her own body issues. She may have never learned how to be a friend, because she grew up viewing other girls as competition. I suspect her mother annoys lots of people.

I assume the organization pays for those hotel rooms.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 7

I liked this more than I thought I would. I had no idea that the DCC was this giant thing... I have caught a few episodes from the past on CMT, but I've never watched an entire season. I felt bad for Ari and Charly, getting cut right at the end. 

I wondered how the Orthodontist was going to juggle DCC and her practice. It didn't seem like there would be enough time in the day to fit it all in. 

The drop splits look cool, but I guess they destroy your body. 

Overall, I am so glad it is back, even in this iteration, but it was over too fast and I wanted more of the dancing. It seems as though they send out all of the routines for the candidates to learn on their own and then just tighten them up during TC. I also missed seeing some of the guest choreographers where you could see when someone who struggled with the DCC style came alive with other styles.

If it is back next year, I will hope I have the discipline to spread it out and not just watch it all on a Saturday with a nice bowl of popcorn.

Does anyone know yet if anyone who made it for this year was cut for the upcoming year?

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

I thought both Victoria and Caroline expressed unhealthy viewpoints about how being a DCC was their identity. Caroline especially said something like she didn’t think anything else could come close to how much this meant to her, and how everything else in life would be downhill (paraphrased). She was comparing life stages like marriage, children, etc. to it and hopefully she has a better perspective now but it just seemed so sad because it looked like she was just sitting in an apartment alone recovering from her surgeries watching her sister live the DCC life like she used to.

I was frustrated that Victoria couldn’t just enjoy her DCC experience. I was cringing so hard at her final talk with Kelli and Judy. I think she expected to be a legendary DCC like her mom but she wasn’t, and that’s ok. It happens to a lot of kids whose parents are overachievers or legends in their field. So I wish she could have just appreciated what she did accomplish and enjoyed her own career. Hopefully she finds fulfillment in what she does after DCC.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

Does anyone know yet if anyone who made it for this year was cut for the upcoming year?

PrimeTimer also has a Making the Team forum and it is still being used to discuss the 2024 team prospects. There are 45 in training camp and no one has been cut yet.

Page 63.

• Useful 5
9 hours ago, LeDucDiableBleu said:

I was frustrated that Victoria couldn’t just enjoy her DCC experience. I was cringing so hard at her final talk with Kelli and Judy. I think she expected to be a legendary DCC like her mom but she wasn’t, and that’s ok. It happens to a lot of kids whose parents are overachievers or legends in their field. So I wish she could have just appreciated what she did accomplish and enjoyed her own career. Hopefully she finds fulfillment in what she does after DCC.

But Tina has made her whole life about her "glory days" as a DCC, so Victoria knows no other life.

• Like 3

Does anybody know if the women are seated from most "points" to least during the first meeting, like during the MTT days? I noticed Armani, Dani and Claire were at the top left and, unsurprisingly, most of the rookies took the first row. 

I can't screenshot and zoom in to get a good look, though. I'm wondering if some vets scored lower than expected/than the rookies. 

I do not believe that Tina was a legendary DCC from what I have seen and heard?!

This morning the DCC with Kelli had an appearance on NBC Today Show.  Kelli said something to the gist of she learned from the Netflix series that she was not a good communicator to the cheerleaders…using the example of (she used no names) of a DCC not knowing her weaknesses or something along that line and that the DCC was shocked to hear the criticism…not verbatim.  My opinion is it was once again referring to VK…shocked  she could be cut and shocked to not be seen as a good leader.  Always seem oblivious to any corrections or flaws.

Seems really weird that the DCC sisterhood never reached out to the one DCC hanging out by herself at functions…I think Netflix staged a lot of those shots (sitting alone in her dressing area) standing alone in the middle of a party. Etc.  Their story arc.  Also, in my opinion, the DCC lets the cheerleaders develop their own friends network. Yuko was living alone and lonely…Kelli finally had her become friendly with Kashara.  I just think that the VK storyline was somewhat staged.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jazzmom said:

This morning the DCC with Kelli had an appearance on NBC Today Show.  Kelli said something to the gist of she learned from the Netflix series that she was not a good communicator to the cheerleaders…using the example of (she used no names) of a DCC not knowing her weaknesses or something along that line and that the DCC was shocked to hear the criticism…not verbatim.  

Yuko was living alone and lonely…Kelli finally had her become friendly with Kashara.  I just think that the VK storyline was somewhat staged.  

I think Kelli was referring to Kleine, who she criticized over the Christmas ornament.

Yuko was living in an entirely different country with different customs and her grasp of English and Texas subtlety was not good. It's not really an equal comparison to Victoria who grew up immersed in this culture. Victoria never attended any of the many social functions the other ladies did and posted about on social media. There is truth there that she was an outsider. Most of the DCC are very close to one another, Victoria did not have one close friend on the team even without the cameras.

Edited by StellaCL
  • Like 2

Still feel was about weaknesses and not Christmas ornaments..

and my point about VK/no friends on the team….a world class team should be  Ambassadors not only outwardly but to each other. It would have been nice, (etc..when Kelli hooked up Yuko with Kashara) if the team members would see someone not meshing and start to be more outgoing and inclusive to that person.  Even with the history…which is very turbulent with VK…lol

I was so happy to see this show back on TV in whatever iteration. We bought Netflix just so I could watch it! However, I read an article that the show creator did not even realize there was a previous show until they were deep into editing. Wish he would've done more research and maybe assigned someone to read forums and feedback in advance. Maybe then we would've gotten more dancing! That is the entire point of DCC. I also wish the filming would've been more focused on groups of girls dancing instead of zoomed in on one at a time. It seemed to do really well on Netflix so I am hoping for more seasons. They spent a lot of time on history and background of the Cowboys team and cheerleaders in season one so that frees up time in future seasons for more audition and practice content.

• Useful 2

One thing that I am sorry that has changed is the audition process. Since they had to do so much remotely due to COVID, it seems they are sticking to that and candidates are submitting videos and they are being sent the routines to learn on their own. I enjoyed watching the auditions, yes, even the bad ones, so I miss that. And, I know that this is not the responsibility of DCC, but some people who knew they didn't stand a chance of making the team were able to set a goal of just auditioning as a major milestone to achieve - whether it be a weight loss goal or a confidence goal, but it would make some people so happy to achieve it. Again, I know it takes time away from actual candidates, but it might be good for individuals.

• Like 1
On 6/26/2024 at 7:04 PM, LeDucDiableBleu said:

I think she expected to be a legendary DCC like her mom but she wasn’t, and that’s ok.

But was Tina really a legendary DCC? I think most of her fame comes from her (cringeworthy) appearances on MTT and this series.

She was a DCC in 1984, 1988 and 1989 (don't know why she went away for 3 years). Iirc on MTT Kelli also referenced to Tina struggling as a DCC, though it could be weight related and not about her dancing. I think they did commend her field presence and outgoing personality though.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Nunyabiznis said:

Maybe then we would've gotten more dancing! That is the entire point of DCC. I also wish the filming would've been more focused on groups of girls dancing instead of zoomed in on one at a time.

True, though I must say I was very pleased to finally see them dance to Thunderstruck. I hated the music they were forced to edit in. It never looked right. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LilyD said:

But was Tina really a legendary DCC? I think most of her fame comes from her (cringeworthy) appearances on MTT and this series.

She was a DCC in 1984, 1988 and 1989 (don't know why she went away for 3 years). Iirc on MTT Kelli also referenced to Tina struggling as a DCC, though it could be weight related and not about her dancing. I think they did commend her field presence and outgoing personality though.

Yeah I was surprised to hear TK considered “legendary”.  Or was that VKs or TKs word for it?  Was TK show group or a leader?  Or legendary in her own mind thus the living through VK.  I have wondered though… who films VK in all the videos…..  like when VK danced and did splits in Target or all the other videos….

I just saw an article about this show and mentioning specifically the pay. I am sorry, but I forgot where it was posted. Anyway, the ONLY former DCC they referenced and quoted was Tina Kalina! I am sure she was there for all the taping and made sure that either she or VK was highlighted. All that does is make her look even more foolish. 

(edited)
On 6/26/2024 at 1:04 PM, LeDucDiableBleu said:

I was frustrated that Victoria couldn’t just enjoy her DCC experience.

I think she put so much pressure on herself, her weight, and her legacy. I also think she lacked some social skills after being under her mother's wing all these years. Her entire identity was entirely wrapped up in being a DCC dancer, while she's missing out on the friendship thing, that seems to be the most important aspect of the experience from everyone else. I felt bad for her. 

Edited by EastCoast4Life
  • Like 3

The video of Kelli as a cheerleader was pure cringe.

I remember what a big deal the DCC were in the 80's and when they were on The Love Boat.

Victoria looked much heavier in the scenes where she is wearing the hoodie. Her smile always looks forced, I kind of felt bad for her because she was trying so hard but just didn't have that special *it* factor.

Reece has the *it* factor but her personality could be annoying. Her boyfriend seems nice but when Kelli said she was surprised when she met him, let's be honest I think looks wise she was surprised about him.

Makes me sad that a lot of the women feel like their best years were as cheerleaders. Maybe it's because I am the type who doesn't go to my high school reunion. 😂

The show also proves how hair and makeup can change your looks. No judgment, I always wished I had the type of natural beauty where I could roll out of bed and look great but I look better with my hair and makeup done.

• Like 1