Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E13/S07.E14: Funeral/Memoir

• Start Topic

YOUNG SHELDON ends its seven-year run with a must-see two-episode series finale. Jim Parsons and Mayim Bialik reprise their roles as Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler in an unforgettable hour of television, on the series finale of YOUNG SHELDON, Thursday, May 16 (8:00-9:00PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm looking forward to seeing Jim & Amy.  As for the rest, I'm bummed that a sitcom is going out on such a sad note.  ☹️

YS had a good run, except for the near cheating part and a main character dying.  I'm glad that they wised up and at least had Mary & George reconcile.  The episodes of them nearly cheating were such a waste of time, given the multitude of stories they could've told.  

• Like 12
  • Applause 1

Thursday is going to absolutely destroy me. And I suspect the worst part is going to be seeing how *alone* Sheldon is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

I didn't make it five minutes before I started crying.

I'm not even someone who usually cries at TV and movies.

• Like 2
  • Sad 15
(edited)
33 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

George's funeral is gonna be so sad to watch.  Missy should get her own spinoff show but I would figure she'll be on the Georgie and Mandy show.

The actress who plays Missy won’t be in the spin-off. I hope they don’t recast. I can’t imagine anyone else playing her.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 8
(edited)

I can’t believe they showed him in the coffin. That hurt. Not to mention the Red Lobster flashback. 😭😭😭😭😭

Missy is rage and Sheldon is denial, torturing himself with alternate universes. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 13
  • Sad 3

Sheldon mourning his Dad and imagining a different last moment with him is a very normal thing for anyone to do. Anyone who has lost a parent most likely has done this.

• Like 14
  • Sad 2
  • Love 2

Of course Sheldon and Amy end up with an athletic kid. 😄

"They can't call dibs on furniture."
Also Sheldon: "That's my spot."

• Like 11
(edited)

Bless Craig T. Nelson because he made me laugh while I was still sobbing after the "Funeral" episode. He is a national treasure. 

Edited by janeyjay
Proper grammar is good, m'kay.
  • Like 19
  • Applause 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

"I got no pants.  On my legs."

That and the Shamy scenes cracked me up.

I knew Mary was going into full blown religious mania. I have to keep reminding myself she’s grieving.

We’d better be getting the older Coopers at the end.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4
(edited)

I am annoyed. We did not see older Coopers at the end. Even if they didn’t have any lines, I would’ve loved to have seen Laurie, Courtney and Jerry, arriving for that hockey game. The utter glee that Georgie would have over his brother raising a jock, would have been priceless.

Edited by anna0852
  • Like 15
  • Useful 3
3 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

That’s how they opened the series.

Is it? I don't remember...off to see if I can find a video...

Maybe I'm the only one, but I really didn't like how this ended.  Missy is filled with rage (understandably so), but I wanted some closure for her.  There was no mention of how MeeMaw faired, and now we know that Mary moved off, but that's it?  No other mention of where she went to.  I could've used another half hour to tie up some loose ends.  I feel like I was left hanging with the second episode.  YMMV. 

• Like 13
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 3
(edited)

Sheldon replaying the last moment with his father and changing the ending is very Sheldon.    So is simply not being able to really grieve at all.

Missy remembering one of my favorite moments between George and Missy.

Missy feeling such rage while Mary clings to religion feels really cannon.

Having Sheldon grow up to have children he doesn’t naturally connect with but loves anyway is a good way to connect Young Sheldon to BBT.

Yes this might have felt unfinished but only because it is.  It is a prequel to BBT and there might be some crossover with whatever happened with the Georgie show.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 14
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Man, this is rough.  My father died in February, and we had the memorial service in April.  I think I've felt all the emotions that all these people are expressing.  And all at the same time.

My condolences, Browncoat.  My father died 20 years ago and this episode made it feel raw, even after all these years.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 15
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Frost said:

I had tears running down my face through the entire funeral.  That was so hard!  Poor Missy.  I really felt for her.  When you're in the middle of adolescence and you're mad at everybody, to lose one of your parents must be awful.

I completely understand Sheldon just shutting down.  That's pretty much what I do when I'm consumed with grief.  His re-runs of a last interaction with his father was so touching.

I love that Amy is still being completely honest with Sheldon, and Sheldon finds it stimulating.

I'm fine with YS being Sheldon's memoir.  I'm glad he thought fondly of his sister, brother, and parents as he got older.

I’m glad that the funeral wasn’t the final elapse because I needed something to clear my mind after the funeral scenes. It seemed like there was a bit too much of JP/MB. I wish we could have gotten more of the siblings together, especially individual scenes with Sheldon and each of his siblings. 

Missy and Billy on the porch was nice. I wonder if he ends up being her second husband. I could see Missy going for a “popular” guy as her first husband and then seeing Billy as a George-like good guy after her first marriage ends. 

• Like 8

I have no idea why Pastor Jeff would even consider baptizing Sheldon or Mary. They clearly were not professing their faith.  

I thought it was a little (no a lot) weird that Connie told Mary she was still young and could find someone else even before the funeral. Too soon, Connie. Way too soon.

• Like 10
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I have no idea why Pastor Jeff would even consider baptizing Sheldon or Mary. They clearly were not professing their faith.  

Neither did the baby, but he "baptized" her, too.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Well, he was willing to baptize an infant who couldn't profess anything in a kitchen sink, just to save her from the horror of being baptized Catholic, so...he seems a little loose with the rules when it suits him. Also I can kinda see him doing it for Mary, under the circumstances, even if he really believes it doesn't count.

• Like 12
3 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Neither did the baby, but he "baptized" her, too.

I expressed the nonsensicalness of that in that episode, too, I think.

• Like 4

That baptism scene just pissed me off. The least Mary could’ve done was arranged for it to be private. She knows Sheldon doesn’t believe in this, she knows the church is aware of his beliefs and you cannot begin to tell me there weren’t people sitting in that congregation who were gonna gleeful about getting one over on the 14 year old atheist.

• Like 9
(edited)
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And while I didn’t like that Connie basically guilted Sheldon and Missy into the baptism after Mary blatantly ignore her advice that her children needed her and not her prayers, Sheldon going through it with the “I believe in you” was a nice full-circle callback to the pilot. And he still did it his way: in a scuba suit. Which didn’t prevent him from getting an ear infection, LOL.

I think Connie's hope was that once Mary could stop worrying about their souls, she could go back to worrying about them.  And maybe it would have worked if both of them had done it.  I wonder if Mary ever reconnects with Missy during her upcoming HS years.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Wayne at the door *sniff*
Peg with the Wendy Torrance cigarette 😆
Reagan was amazing *double sniff*
Wonder why they redid Brenda’s look. Cannot see her with the science teacher. 
Hate to be the one that points this out, but damn has Jim Parsons aged a lot in five years. 
The ending felt off. We needed to see Sheldon say goodbye to his Mom. And his Meemaw. I blame bad editing. A bit less Sheldon and Amy would have allowed for those scenes.

• Like 14

Maybe I'm daft or it's the lack of sleep last night, but the second episode felt disjointed to me.  I could've used less grown-up Sheldon and more of the younger Sheldon and his family.  I don't like how they wrote Mary in this episode either.  It's not like her to show a lack of concern for her kids, but then again, she already said that Sheldon wasn't speaking (so she must've tried talking to him) and Missy was angry at everything, so she might've shut Mary out too.  

3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Am I the only one that was glad Missy told off Pastor Jeff twice in a single hour?

I didn't care for it.  She was rude to Mandy & Pastor Jeff when they told her how sorry they were.  I get that she's upset, but damn, she was just straight up rude.  Saying you're sorry to someone who just experienced a loss is a normal thing to say.  They didn't try to compare stories of someone they lost, but rather they showed compassion.  She's just too young to understand that I suppose. 

• Like 3

I'm not much of a crier at TV shows, but I got choked up a little at the Red Lobster scene. I'm more of a Sheldon in that I hold grief in. The baptism pressure was realistic. I grew up around Southern Baptists, and they are big on it. 

I think they did a good job with the finale. I'm going to miss the show. 

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I think Connie's hope was that once Mary could stop worrying about their souls, she could go back to worrying about them. 

I agree.  Mary may have gone about this in the wrong way, but she's so scared of losing them and she wants to be sure that they're souls are protected.  I like that Sheldon told her (as he did on the first or second episode) that he didn't believe in what she did, but he believed in her.  He once said that she was his Christian soldier. 

Mandy started to laugh when Sheldon walked out in the scuba suit, but I think that it was Emily herself who almost lost it.  

• Like 9
35 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I think Connie's hope was that once Mary could stop worrying about their souls, she could go back to worrying about them. 

That’s the thing.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but since Sheldon does not believe, and Mary knows that, she must know his soul is not going to be saved by a baptism, right? 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1