Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Ball Girl

• Start Topic

When the world's top tennis champion drops dead on the court, Elsbeth and Kaya home in on a rising tennis star and his competitive father and coach (Blair Underwood). Meanwhile, Captain Wagner begins to suspect Elsbeth's reason for being in New York goes beyond the consent decree, on ELSBETH, Thursday, April 18 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

06casting-directors-wqpl-superJumbo.jpg

Danny Mastrogiorgio as Det. Bobby Smullen
Blair Underwood  as Cliff McGrath 
Omari K. Chancellor as Hunter McGrath 
Alex Wyse as Cooper
Paul Ryden as TV reporter
Kevin Michael Brennan as Tennis Player
Matthew William as Tennis Coach

b620c278ce1beedcba354513b7896de8

(edited)

Who played the ball girl? She was very good.

How do you pay someone for a comped ticket? What is Wagner supposed to do with the money? Did she just give him a check made out to the NYC Police Department? A wad of cash? Ask him for his personal Venmo account # ?

He got her back good by doing her son a big "favor". He must have been headhunted and hired in one day, which should have sounded suspicious to Elsbeth. She really needs to tell Teddy to quit, but without explaining why.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 2
(edited)

Also, was Yoyo supposed to be the #1 tennis player in the world with Hunter #2? Because I'm pretty sure that #2 can make an excellent living. And if he's not #2, what good is sabotaging #1? Just to give Hunter more confidence by beating #1?  He already beat him once. How long did that last?

Blair Underwood has barely aged.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 3
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

The Captain leaning on Kaya officially made me hate him. I wonder how she'll handle it. She was hardly in this episode or the one last week.

So we're supposed to hate him now? Or are they double bluffing us?

• Like 1
(edited)

She was so good I wanted to smack her several times 😆

I'm enjoying this show. I've always liked Carrie Preston, and she is an absolute delight in this show (I didn't watch The Good Wife, so I didn't see the character there)

I too wonder if they're faking us out with the captain. His machinations seem too obvious. Maybe he's deep, deep, deep, deep undercover.😅

Edited by wanderingstar
  • Like 6
  • LOL 2

I never thought he was guilty because of who was playing him. But then he got her son a new job and  suddenly grew suspicious.  Does an innocent man court favor from the person he now suspects is investigating him?

It made the story very intriguing.  It's an element of complexity typical in shows by the Kings with the backdrop of a Colombo-esque case-of-the-week kind of show. 

• Like 7

It was nice seeing Blair Underwood again.  I will always remember him as Miranda's handsome doctor boyfriend on SATC that plugged Steve's nose with tampons.

I do hope they're faking us out with the captain and I agree with the above that his machinations seem a little too obvious to be real.  If not I'd hate that because the show has made us love him already and we'd hate to lose him.

• Like 3

Right off the bat I said "How could that cart woman not see Blair Underwood step out from the corner?"  That was so obvious it hurt.

I've tried a few episodes now, maybe one more.  I'm tired of the TV trope of incompetent detectives shown up by the outsider on the most basic of evidence.

I am glad the twatwaffle ball girl got nabbed, too.  Extortion is not a misdemeanor.

• Like 1

I'm relieved to see they've dialed the ditzy act back to a level I find okay, and are not overplaying it. She is a little bit like that, but the general tendency to discount her seems to be at least as much because she's a woman, not in uniform, and maybe a little clumsy and not being surface-confrontational-- people underestimate her without her having to lean too far into the dimbulb gambit. She's "nice" and she makes the big eyes and the slight stammer, but it's much closer to how Peter Falk played Columbo now, and less how I thought they were playing it earlier in the series. She doesn't take the typical "all business" cop tone, but she's really not being all that subtle about what she's doing, either. Her questions are probing, if you pay any attention at all... and the fact that often people don't, shows more about them than about her at this point. I approve!

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
18 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'm relieved to see they've dialed the ditzy act back to a level I find okay, and are not overplaying it. She is a little bit like that, but the general tendency to discount her seems to be at least as much because she's a woman, not in uniform, and maybe a little clumsy and not being surface-confrontational-- people underestimate her without her having to lean too far into the dimbulb gambit. She's "nice" and she makes the big eyes and the slight stammer, but it's much closer to how Peter Falk played Columbo now, and less how I thought they were playing it earlier in the series. She doesn't take the typical "all business" cop tone, but she's really not being all that subtle about what she's doing, either. Her questions are probing, if you pay any attention at all... and the fact that often people don't, shows more about them than about her at this point. I approve!

I'm just finding it hard to believe that all these guilty people don't just get away from her and stop her from probing them like she does.  She comes out of left field with the types of questions most strangers, especially in NYC would not want to answer or spend that kind of time answering, especially for a nosy, slightly odd stranger they have no reason to tell those things to.  I would think that once they got the idea that she was on the right track they'd put a quick end to it and excuse themselves.  I admit it's starting to bother me a little.

• Like 2
(edited)

I wonder how to try a case like this since what the coach did to him wouldn't kill him and what his girlfriend did to him wouldn't kill him, but both together did kill him. Isn't the girlfriend just as guilty as the coach for killing him?

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 8
(edited)
12 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I wonder how to try a case like this since what the coach did to him wouldn't kill him and what his girlfriend did to him wouldn't kill him, but both together did kill him. Isn't the girlfriend just as guilty as the coach for killing him?

I seem to recall from an exam at Hudson U's School of Law & Order that it's all about intent.
😉
The coach intended harm, the gf did not.
So maybe the coach gets whatever the sentence is for Manslaughter in the 2nd Degree, and the gf gets off?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

So maybe the coach gets whatever the sentence is for Manslaughter in the 2nd Degree, and the gf gets off?

Thank you, I wondered about that too.  Coach Dad intended harm (temporary harm?) but not necessarily death, and did not know about the medicine the gf gave the victim.  Manslaughter 2 sounds about right.  (IANAL)

• Wink 1

I would think that giving someone a drug without their knowledge is still a felony, and if someone dies during the commission of a felony it doesn't matter if the death isn't intended. (I went to Closer U.)

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 6:54 PM, wanderingstar said:

[Ball Girl] was so good I wanted to smack her several times 😆

She was really good, wasn't she? She reminded me of a funny TikTok content creator who goes by the name of Stasi. (No idea what Stasi's real name is.)

Of the many deliberately Columbo-like elements of this show, one that I enjoy is how the perps always make the mistake of offering up alternate theories. Nothing is more of a "tell" in these two shows than offering up alternate theories! The innocent characters never do that, they just say "Huh, that's a real puzzler" and leave it at that. They don't try to "help."

One thing this episode made me realize is how much I enjoy the speed at which this show moves. It's over before I know it. For some reason I don't even mind the implausibilities (e.g. oblivious cart woman) and loose ends. The characters are well-drawn and the show is light breezy fun. I hope it's doing well in the ratings and will keep going.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 9
24 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I hope it's doing well in the ratings and will keep going.

The show has been renewed for a 2nd season. We will see how many episodes "they" call a season these days, lately it is 10 to 13 episodes,

• Like 6
  • Angry 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I would think that giving someone a drug without their knowledge is still a felony, and if someone dies during the commission of a felony it doesn't matter if the death isn't intended. (I went to Closer U.)

But assuming the gf's intent was not malicious or for her own financial gain, maybe Brenda the DA can get her to flip on her supplier of blackmarket ED drugs in exchange for probation and community service.

Another thing I notice this show does which is like Columbo, is that they don't rely on DNA testing or computer hacking. I thought Columbo was that way because those things didn't even exist when that show started. But Elsbeth uses his same methods, and the show has really not made it seem like any of the new-fangled methods and current TV detecting tropes are needed.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Another thing I notice this show does which is like Columbo, is that they don't rely on DNA testing or computer hacking. I thought Columbo was that way because those things didn't even exist when that show started. But Elsbeth uses his same methods, and the show has really not made it seem like any of the new-fangled methods and current TV detecting tropes are needed.

Yeah, I think the idea is that she's able to do it without those methods just by noticing little inconsistencies and give-aways that most people wouldn't notice.  That's the entertaining part because it's so ingenious.  The way it's being done here sometimes feels a little far fetched, but considering that I'm able to notice things about situations and people that most might not, I love that aspect, and that she gets taken seriously for it.  I wish I could do that!  

• Like 6
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

38 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Yeah, I think the idea is that she's able to do it without those methods just by noticing little inconsistencies and give-aways that most people wouldn't notice.  That's the entertaining part because it's so ingenious.  The way it's being done here sometimes feels a little far fetched, but considering that I'm able to notice things about situations and people that most might not, I love that aspect, and that she gets taken seriously for it.  I wish I could do that!  

Yes, Elsbeth sees things others miss, but she's not a luddite either. We've seen her use her cell phone as a distraction and a recording device. 
And, of course, she identified the killer in the earlier episode by his 2 spaces after periods. 

I identify with Elsbeth's ability to see what others miss, but, whereas I think she only pretends to miss what others see, I really do miss a lot. 🙃

In contrast to Elsbeth's just not needing to rely on technology, yesterday I caught most of the rerun of "Mr. Monk and the Really, Really Dead Guy," which first aired in 2007. Monk was called "a dinosaur" because he was woefully behind the times WRT technology, but what really dated the 2007 episode was how Captain Stottlemeyer disses the "new" technology too. It's a bit of a time capsule of a script.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, Elsbeth sees things others miss, but she's not a luddite either. We've seen her use her cell phone as a distraction and a recording device. 
And, of course, she identified the killer in the earlier episode by his 2 spaces after periods. 

I identify with Elsbeth's ability to see what others miss, but, whereas I think she only pretends to miss what others see, I really do miss a lot. 🙃

In contrast to Elsbeth's just not needing to rely on technology, yesterday I caught most of the rerun of "Mr. Monk and the Really, Really Dead Guy," which first aired in 2007. Monk was called "a dinosaur" because he was woefully behind the times WRT technology, but what really dated the 2007 episode was how Captain Stottlemeyer disses the "new" technology too. It's a bit of a time capsule of a script.

Yes, I love it that she's not a luddite and that the show makes a point of letting us know that by allowing us to see her knowledge of technology, like with that "digital window thingy" she has in her office.  In keeping with her character her calling it that sounds a little uninformed but she certainly knows how to use it!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 4/21/2024 at 12:59 PM, Yeah No said:

Yes, I love it that she's not a luddite and that the show makes a point of letting us know that by allowing us to see her knowledge of technology, like with that "digital window thingy" she has in her office.  In keeping with her character her calling it that sounds a little uninformed but she certainly knows how to use it!

This, too, is similar to Columbo.  They incorporated new technology (for the times) into episodes and Columbo always learned about them and used the technology, along with his observational skills, etc., to solve the murders.

I like the lightness and fun of the show-similar vein to Columbo, Psych, and the recently cancelled So Help Me Todd.  Murder, mayhem, and humor?  I'm in.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

This, too, is similar to Columbo.  They incorporated new technology (for the times) into episodes and Columbo always learned about them and used the technology, along with his observational skills, etc., to solve the murders.

Another similarity is the arrogance of the killers. who when seeing Columbo or Elsbeth for the first time, underestimate them because of the rumpled trench coat, the cigar, the many bags, or loud apparel, and consider them mere annoyances.  Which makes the inevitable gotcha! all the more sweet.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
On 4/18/2024 at 10:12 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

How do you pay someone for a comped ticket? What is Wagner supposed to do with the money? Did she just give him a check made out to the NYC Police Department? A wad of cash? Ask him for his personal Venmo account # ?

He got her back good by doing her son a big "favor". He must have been headhunted and hired in one day, which should have sounded suspicious to Elsbeth. She really needs to tell Teddy to quit, but without explaining why.

State employee for 32 years who has to take an annual ethics test here:  She has to contact the tennis organization and pay them the face value of the ticket.  The captain knew about it probably because she had to ask him where he exactly got the tickets from.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

State employee for 32 years who has to take an annual ethics test here:  She has to contact the tennis organization and pay them the face value of the ticket.  The captain knew about it probably because she had to ask him where he exactly got the tickets from.  

Sorry to be dense, but does this mean or at least imply that the captain is setting up Elsbeth to possibly be in violation of taking kickbacks by giving her tickets?
(which would make her investigation into the same less credible)
Maybe the captain hopes Elsbeth will just fail to do the paperwork and repayment for the tickets as you describe? 

If so, maybe the Captain is only guilty of failing on occasion to complete such paperwork and repayments in a timely fashion.

Or, of course, maybe he is "dirty." 
Casting an actor as the suspected villian who is known to play beloved, upstanding characters would be a bit of genius.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Sorry to be dense, but does this mean or at least imply that the captain is setting up Elsbeth to possibly be in violation of taking kickbacks by giving her tickets?

Total speculation here: I think the Captain's wife is interacting with a shady crowd that are hoping the Captain might do them a favor in exchange for supporting his wife. I think the Captain is trying very hard to remain on the right side of the law, but the people contributing to his wife's charities make it difficult. I think it is the Captain's wife, not the Captain who likes hanging out with the rich and famous and may not be aware of their shadier sides.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1

I am certain that he was trying to set Elsbeth up.

Whether the he is shady, or how shady he might be, I think is unclear, but him leaning on Kaya suggests to me that he likely is at the least willing to be shady.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Total speculation here: I think the Captain's wife is interacting with a shady crowd that are hoping the Captain might do them a favor in exchange for supporting his wife. I think the Captain is trying very hard to remain on the right side of the law, but the people contributing to his wife's charities make it difficult. I think it is the Captain's wife, not the Captain who likes hanging out with the rich and famous and may not be aware of their shadier sides.

This is exactly how I've been seeing it for some time now.

• Like 1
On 4/24/2024 at 9:46 AM, shapeshifter said:

(which would make her investigation into the same less credible)
Maybe the captain hopes Elsbeth will just fail to do the paperwork and repayment for the tickets as you describe? 

If so, maybe the Captain is only guilty of failing on occasion to complete such paperwork and repayments in a timely fashion.

Or, of course, maybe he is "dirty." 
Casting an actor as the suspected villian who is known to play beloved, upstanding characters would be a bit of genius.

I think it irked the captain because Elsbeth is showing that she's an ethical person with absolutely no gray areas around her, and that type of person is some he doesn't want to be around

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I think it irked the captain because Elsbeth is showing that she's an ethical person with absolutely no gray areas around her, and that type of person is some he doesn't want to be around

I think the captain may think he's being ethical if he doesn't give into giving the donors by doing them any favors, but his suspicion about what they're doing and not being honest about it is a problem.  He may think it's going to a good cause and not want the contributions to stop.  So he thinks if he doesn't give in there's no issue, but if there is reason to think something shady is going on even if he's not giving into it he's somewhat complicit in it himself if he doesn't tell the department about his suspicions.

On 4/25/2024 at 1:00 PM, Yeah No said:

I think the captain may think he's being ethical if he doesn't give into giving the donors by doing them any favors, but his suspicion about what they're doing and not being honest about it is a problem.  He may think it's going to a good cause and not want the contributions to stop.  So he thinks if he doesn't give in there's no issue, but if there is reason to think something shady is going on even if he's not giving into it he's somewhat complicit in it himself if he doesn't tell the department about his suspicions.

And/or…
The Captain has put himself undercover to investigate police corruption with wealthy donors, and he will eventually have to read Elsbeth into his lone wolf investigation?
This could allow for the Captain’s wife to be innocent so she and Elsbeth can go clothes shopping together.
And maybe Elsbeth’s boss back in Chicago will turn out to be corrupt?

• Like 4
On 4/20/2024 at 5:55 PM, shapeshifter said:

I seem to recall from an exam at Hudson U's School of Law & Order that it's all about intent.
😉

I thought the girlfriend already "got off"!  ::rimshot::  Thanks, folks, I'll be here all week.  Try the veal.

• LOL 2

It bothered me that they didn't look at the girlfriend's key card when she couldn't get into her apartment. The fact that it wasn't her card points to someone else having been in her apartment.

And where did the ballgirl get a matching card?

• Like 1