Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Boiling Point

• Start Topic

Amanda reels after leaving dinner; Chris crosses something off his bucket list; Tammy tries to have fun but misses Caleb; fed up with her siblings critiquing her, Amy reaches her boiling point and explodes.

Original air date 2024.01.30

• Thanks 1

Oh Forums, I've missed you. I understand why you had to leave. 

Ok. My head just about exploded last week. When the whole family was on the boat looking for dolphins, no one including a baby and toddler were wearing life jackets. Tammy was holding one, Amy the other. A wiggly baby overboard would be tragic. That boat operator, the production crew and the Slaton's are all responsible for this. Shame on all of them.

• Like 13
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 4

I think Amanda taking the boys home from the restaurant and putting them to bed was the right thing to do, but Amanda shouldn’t be picking up those babies.   It’s too soon after surgery, and she could have long term issues by doing that.  I bet Dr. Smith was upset when he saw that footage, he wants the best for his patients, and Amanda lifting the little ones could compromise her healing. 

I love that they’re going on the dolphin tour.   I really like that the boat is totally accessible for Tammy.  Why don’t the babies have life jackets on?    Watching Tammy so happy is wonderful.   Everyone should have a life jacket on, but no one does.     Misty is a lot smaller, and I’m thrilled for her.

Chris looks so happy parasailing.  I love the happy face parachute.

Those poor little kids need a reliable schedule, and they would behave better.   Naps would help a lot. How can Amy claim to be handling her sons by herself?   Everyone else has been watching her kids.  Why not bring a playpen, toys for the little ones?

I already hate that the poor little boys are in the house seeing the adults physically fighting.   

So, Tammy and Amy argue about putting the boys to bed.   Then, Amanda steps between Amy and Tammy.  Amy starts saying she’s taking the boys and leaving to go back to Kentucky.  Then, Amy physically attacked Amanda first, then Chris and Misty try to calm things down.   Then, Amy wants to make Justin drive her and the kids home 12 hours early.   I can see why Amanda is upset with Amy, she doesn’t like her son getting hauled back home by Amy.    Justin is obviously exhausted and in no shape to drive home that night.     

Chris is telling Amy the truth, everyone else did take care of her babies, and leaving 12 hours early is absurd.   Amy physically attacking Amanda is so wrong.  You know it’s serious when the producer steps in, they very rarely do.  Separating everyone for a while was the best idea.     I don’t blame Amanda not wanting Amy to bother her.

Next week is the season finale. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 3

I am so f'n tired of the "poor poor Amy" shtick. Can't she come up with something else? Maybe pretend to be a hard working "single" (Lol!) Mom. She is so unlikeable. Everyone else I like in varying degrees. Amy is just annoying AF.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1

I've kind of forgotten about some things, so I may rewatch it before commenting further, but I have to echo this now:  OMG, the lack of life jackets on those two babies and the boat having no sides except a railing.  One bump and both could have been thrown into the water.  It was bad enough that the adults didn't have life jackets, but this was beyond the pale.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 6

Oh. My. Gosh. I was ITCHING all week to get on here and see if anyone else had anything to say about the lack of lifejackets. I was horrified. That was so incredibly dangerous, especially since no one except the boat crew could conceivably dive in after one of the babies if they went overboard. We don't even know if any of family can swim in water where they can't touch the bottom. My heart was in my throat.

That being said I love seeing Tammy's joy of being able to participate in activities! 

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

All the family had to do was secure the keys to the vehicles since Amy can't drive.  

Maybe lock her out of the house?  We did that to my teen brother when we were growing up. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, BAForever said:

Ok. My head just about exploded last week. When the whole family was on the boat looking for dolphins, no one including a baby and toddler were wearing life jackets. Tammy was holding one, Amy the other. A wiggly baby overboard would be tragic. That boat operator, the production crew and the Slaton's are all responsible for this. Shame on all of them.

Yes!  I looked up the lawFlorida law on life jackets

While having the PFDs on board is required, the state of Florida does not require adult passengers to be wearing them at all times, although it is recommended as a precautionary measure. However, children under the age of six years old must be wearing a life jacket at all times while on a vessel less than 26 feet in length.

Edited by auntjess
I meant to add that I'm glad to be back. The Facebook group on the show was a poor substitute.
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

Tammy and Amy said they couldn't swim. 

So THEY also should have been in life jackets. There's dumb and there's tragically stupid. This was horrible. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

Those kids don’t have a chance.  It’s really sad, but I can’t see how they’ll make it to adulthood.  Not safe and sound, anyway.  Just because that family is ignorant of boat safety, the professional boat people should have intervened.  Or the TLC  crew.  I thought I was watching the Roloffs for a second.  😩 Dare devils with their kids.  It’s infuriating.  

I’m really wondering about what is going in with Amy.  I suspect it’s more complex than depression. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
15 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Those kids don’t have a chance.  It’s really sad, but I can’t see how they’ll make it to adulthood.

Whenever my mom would see someone doing something dumb like that, she'd sigh and say, "Survival of the fittest."  So true.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Those kids don’t have a chance.  It’s really sad, but I can’t see how they’ll make it to adulthood.  Not safe and sound, anyway.  Just because that family is ignorant of boat safety, the professional boat people should have intervened.  Or the TLC  crew.  I thought I was watching the Roloffs for a second.  😩 Dare devils with their kids.  It’s infuriating.  

I’m really wondering about what is going in with Amy.  I suspect it’s more complex than depression. 

I don't live too far from Panama City and Pensacola.  The tourist boats are never safety oriented.    The reason they say life jackets aren't needed on 26' or bigger boats is to keep the specialty and fishing tours without life jackets, and the cruise ships.    Safety comes second to the bottom line, which is income. 

• Sad 2

I've missed this forum so much.  It's hard for me to remember back a whole week, but did anyone catch Amy saying something like, "Here's your son." to Tammy when she brought Glenn to the table?  That's probably a joke between them, but it shows how much Tammy does for the boys.  When Tammy was at her very worst the one thing I did like about her was that she was affectionate to Little Bit and Amy's kids.  I didn't think she was a bit out of line offering suggestions to help settle Glen down to Amy.

I was shocked that Amy said she was going to call Michael to come get her and boys.  As her family pointed out, he wouldn't have been able to get there before it was time to leave.  Also, isn't Michael supposed to be a lazy person who never helps her?  If I had been Michael and had gotten a call like that the first thing I would have done is hung up and called the police station closest to where she was staying and asked for a welfare check on the boys.  That would have given him a police report should he ever want to use it against her in court.  Not that I think he's a great parent, but maybe it would have given her a wakeup call.  

I vaguely remember one of the Teen Moms assaulting her boyfriend/husband on camera and being charged for it.  He didn't press charges but she got charged anyway since it was filmed. Amy is lucky that hasn't happened to her.  

• Like 8
23 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Oh. My. Gosh. I was ITCHING all week to get on here and see if anyone else had anything to say about the lack of lifejackets. I was horrified.

It's not like they had a great grip on them either! I know it's a pontoon boat ride, but put a life vest on the littles, hello!!!

• Like 6

I feel for Amy, but at the same time don't melt down at every little melt down your child has, especially when your entire family is there to assist. 

I think this goes way back to her mother not having any kind of compassion for her children. God knows what went on there. 

Amanda is the hero of the season, that's all. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
12 minutes ago, EastCoast4Life said:

It's not like they had a great grip on them either! I know it's a pontoon boat ride, but put a life vest on the littles, hello!!!

I can't make sense of it, but the only things I can come up with are:

I can't exactly fault the family for not knowing a baby should wear a life jacket if they are going out on a boat. They didn't grow up around water and sometimes you just don't know what you don't know. 

That being said, the tour company *should have made sure the babies were wearing life jackets regardless of everything. I wonder if it was hard for Amy/Tammy to hold Gage/Glenn in their laps while wearing life jackets or if they fussed so much that they refused to wear them. In retrospect I'm leaning towards they rejected them altogether and they were allowed to go freestyle for the sake of filming. We already know Amy is not a disciplinarian and melts down when they melt down. None of that excuses the obvious.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I went back and watched Episode 7 and the little guys had on life jackets at the beach so they either owned them or had excess to them.  Maybe they were able to rent them at the beach.  Too bad they didn't use them on the boat. 

I wonder what the trip home was like for Justin. It had to be hard being stuck in a vehicle for a long trip with Amy after she shoved his mother around. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

The boys actually sleep with Tammy in her bed at night - they've alluded to this twice now - so it wasn't surprising to hear the "son" comment from Amy.  She isn't fit to be a parent, and now the whole world knows it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 1

Amy may soon regret that being filmed while she's going through a custody battle.  At least Michael was smart enough to stop filming after the breakup.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Abmis said:

I wonder what the trip home was like for Justin. It had to be hard being stuck in a vehicle for a long trip with Amy after she shoved his mother around.

This.  I can't imagine chauffeuring someone across the country after they attacked my mother.  If Justin drove her back willingly, he's more forgiving than I would be. 

Or maybe Amy went back via train.

• Like 2

Or with the TLC crew (the train doesn't run through Pensacola).

Amy's meltdown was because she had to "watch the boys alone" while the others went to watch Chris parasail, although it seems Justin was home sleeping on the couch while Gage was staring at his tablet; she complained bitterly about having "no help" for a couple of hours. This really doesn't bode well for the boys' future.

Since she absolutely cannot handle "doing everything," methinks Michael did more than she let on...  She was also p____ at Tammy for "treating her like she never puts the boys to bed herself."  She probably doesn't, because she didn't know how, and it was on TV.

Ugh!  Thank goodness this season is over.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Hmm, no episode thread for last night yet, so I'll jump on here. Not trying to be morbid, but can a 600 lb person be cremated? Can the body fit? Remembering back to What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Loved that book and movie. 

• Useful 3

Kind of a snoozer last night, But, I did feel bad for Tammy. She seemed to really love Caleb.  I’m surprised at how mature she’s been handling everything. What a change from previous seasons.  Who knew she’d end up the voice of reason? 

Also had some sympathy for Amy. No one wants to lose their temper like that, and she’s obviously struggling mentally. But Until she gets herself chemically balanced, I fear for the boys. She doesn’t seem to have any patience for them at all, and she’s only at the starting line. The high energy boy shenanigans have only just begun. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, BAForever said:

Hmm, no episode thread for last night yet, so I'll jump on here. Not trying to be morbid, but can a 600 lb person be cremated? Can the body fit? Remembering back to What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Loved that book and movie. 

Yes a person that big can get a custom sized casket.    Very expensive though.   She said some crematoriums can cremate someone of that size , but not all .   And she said it might take longer to.....  do?  Anyways , got this from Caitlyn Doughty on YouTube..she is a mortician.   So ...

You can really see Tammy is really enjoying her new 'mobile'  life.    It's nice to see her sitting normal in that recliner and doing normal things.   I think she lost her nastiness along with the weight.         Amy?  Ugh....prozac prozac prozac .......and therapy.  She's a mess.  She wanted kids so bad, she got em,  and now she's doesn't  want to do the work of parenting.   And it is work.   Especially single parenting kids those ages.    It's good "work"  and soooo worth it when you look back as years pass.    I think she sees that everyone else in her family can come and go as they please and is jealous that she is so tied down, so to speak.   

Edited by suev3333
Added
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

For the record: NO sympathy for Amy.  What a thoroughly unlikable character!  She may regret "screwing the pooch" by leaving Michael (and I don't believe he was abusive, either).

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
On 2/6/2024 at 4:32 PM, RedDelicious said:

I can't exactly fault the family for not knowing a baby should wear a life jacket if they are going out on a boat. They didn't grow up around water and sometimes you just don't know what you don't know. 

I disagree. Anyone should know that you can drown in water, and they were holding the boys by the railing.
The producers should have insisted on it, if no one else did.

• Like 7

This may not be a popular viewpoint, but I'm starting to dislike Amanda because she ramped up that fight with Amy, maybe on producer urging, maybe for getting more camera time.  By not letting Amy alone to decompress, she got in her face, yelling.  Who calms down that way? 

There was no way Amanda's son was going to drive Amy back based on his unconsciousness and Amanda not letting him.  

Then Amanda was passive aggressive by not letting Amy apologize then or later at Tammy's house.  It's very manipulative behavior. 

Amy's meltdown wd have fizzled out eventually into another crying jag. 

Amanda seems to have horned in on the TLC  show when she saw the $ that Amy and Tammy were pulling in.  Something about her seems controlling ... maybe as the eldest daughter.... or greed. Not liking her so much. She seems bossy rather than helping.

Grabbing the kids up at at restaurant and rushing off, rather than calmly telling Amy that she was going to let Amy have a nice dinner with the adults, turned into Amy isn't taking care of business yet again. Not really supportive of Amy. 

They all need communication therapy. 

Amys confusion and self blame for attacking Amanda was misplaced. They were both to blame, but Amy is feeling shame and guilt and Amanda is now owning up to her part in the melee. 

I hear that Tammy's has moved out of Amanda's house also. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
20 hours ago, auntjess said:

I disagree. Anyone should know that you can drown in water, and they were holding the boys by the railing.

Both babies were wearing life jackets at the beach, and Chris was wearing one parasailing. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Mollywolly555 said:

Amanda seems to have horned in on the TLC  show when she saw the $ that Amy and Tammy were pulling in.  Something about her seems controlling ... maybe as the eldest daughter.... or greed. Not liking her so much. She seems bossy rather than helping.

I totally agree.  I don't think the family was all that close until the TLC $$ brought them together.   I recall a comment by Chris a few seasons ago that he never got along with Amanda, but that they were all older now. Something to that effect.  I think she's a bossy bully. 

I also think her involvement in Amy's post-partum "I'm overwhelmed!" fights with her husband may have influenced Amy into a divorce she may not have really wanted. After all, Amanda had just divorced Michael's brother.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 2/5/2024 at 12:12 PM, BAForever said:

Ok. My head just about exploded last week. When the whole family was on the boat looking for dolphins, no one including a baby and toddler were wearing life jackets.

It amazes me that anyone survived their childhoods, 50+ years ago, because no one even considered wearing a life jacket.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, Chalby said:

It amazes me that anyone survived their childhoods, 50+ years ago, because no one even considered wearing a life jacket.

We wore some kind of orange things that went around our necks. Plus a flotation belt around waist while skiing.

You are so right @Chalby, luckily we know better now. 

• Like 2
On 2/9/2024 at 6:15 PM, auntjess said:

On 2/10/2024 at 2:39 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Both babies were wearing life jackets at the beach, and Chris was wearing one parasailing. 

They were being held on the boat, the group wasn't going to be swimming from the boat (like on the beach) and I don't think the people holding them considered that winding up in the water was a possibility. That's what I mean about not knowing what you don't know. I think it's probably called ignorance.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 2/7/2024 at 5:42 AM, Dibs said:

Amy's meltdown was because she had to "watch the boys alone" while the others went to watch Chris parasail, although it seems Justin was home sleeping on the couch while Gage was staring at his tablet; she complained bitterly about having "no help" for a couple of hours. This really doesn't bode well for the boys' future.

That's the part that gets me frustrated - Amy's constant whining about having two children to look after as a single parent. Meanwhile, I'm watching thinking "Yeah, welcome to life."

There are so many single parents out there and they are not crying even though they work, have to find daycare, cook and clean. 

They don't take off, abandoning their kids for the siblings or others to mind because they 'can't cope'.  But they might fantasize about it, LOL.

I hope this was just producer driven, otherwise she may not be cut out to be a single mom.

Edited by Chalby
  • Like 4