Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E12: Something's Fishy

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

But we don't know what he said to her in private.  Emily might be acting like she doesn't know what's up with Brennan, but maybe she does and is playing "innocent" for the cameras.

How stupid all this is with Emily and Brennon.  She drinks .. he’s mad all the time .. do the experts know?  Does Production know?  What the hell is this show doing about them ?  I just don’t get it.  Everything is a secret.  Do we all have to see this until decision day?  Very weird.  Those two should just call it a day and leave the show like so many others have done.  Walked away before someone gets hurt. She attacks him in the shower?  Black outs and nobody does anything.  WTF?

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
9 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I wish men would not be talked about as we are some monoloith. Whether it be how men express emotions or us being visual creatures, etc etc. Also, ignoring how many women will cancel a man out three seconds after seeing them. People are people. Some people are more closed off than others. Its more about them as a person. Gender is irrelevant. I know a lot of time, we are talking in general terms not every person of a gender but its not applicable.

These dudes are just boring and there isn't much THERE there. Even if they were into their matches, I doubt they would be very interesting.

I apologize and you are right. I just think the show forces endless conversations about the state of relationships and in my experience of knowing lots of men , they often communicate in a different way than women. I agree the guys in this show seem uninterested and closed off.

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I apologize and you are right. I just think the show forces endless conversations about the state of relationships and in my experience of knowing lots of men , they often communicate in a different way than women. I agree the guys in this show seem uninterested and closed off.

I agree with you that men often communicate differently and aren't as willing or even comfortable talking endlessly about their feelings.  That is well documented in relationship psychology and there is much written about how in general men don't have the direct access to their feelings that women do and so it is more difficult and causes more anxiety for them to adequately express them.  I think it varies with the man of course, and this season both Brennan and Cam had the most difficulty with this kind of discussion. 

I've posted before about how the show has changed over the years to feature endless relationship discussions, which I think can often be actually detrimental in the early stages of any relationship.  Some are OK but this is overkill, and done because the show needs a way to pad the episodes out to justify the insane amount of ads and the length of the show without increasing the budget.  They used to feature more couples and group activities that didn't just involve sitting around talking, but the show also used to be shorter.  It's especially bad when couples drop out because they have to pad out the show even more so we end up with even MORE of these relationship discussions.  After a while ANYONE would be sick of it.  If we're sick of it, imagine how these couples would feel after a while!

I do get how some of it is not that these men don't want to communicate but that they don't want it out there on TV for the world to see and don't want to do it 24/7 either especially if it's hard for them and causes them anxiety.  But I still put it back on them because they don't have any excuse for not knowing what they were getting into with this show.  There is plenty of evidence out there that they could have checked into before signing on for it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

. She attacks him in the shower?  Black outs and nobody does anything.  WTF?

what would you suggest someone do? she's out of control and this is the kind of thing this awful show actually likes.  the object is drama, not matching people for successful relationships.

and i think he is staying away from her and having no physical contact so she doesn't rope him into an unwanted pregnancy

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I agree and I think the conversations they force are all dreary - it's like they want to make the saying "Marriage is hard work" really, really true.  That fishbowl exercise could be fun and beneficial instead of a dreary slog of depressing incidents, and some of those questions would require some thought to answer properly.  A lighthearted fishbowl with conversation starters on fun topics would be enjoyable to do with some wine in a hot tub.  These "experts" just suck.

3 hours ago, cinsays said:

what would you suggest someone do? she's out of control and this is the kind of thing this awful show actually likes.  the object is drama, not matching people for successful relationships.

I would suggest they show it on the show if they like it so much!  If it weren't for the afterparty we wouldn't even know it happened 😄

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, princelina said:

I would suggest they show it on the show if they like it so much!  If it weren't for the afterparty we wouldn't even know it happened 😄

As much as I don't love Keisha and wish they would stop putting her on almost every commercial break, the Afterparty has gotten a lot more informative lately.  It has almost become a don't-miss.  She has been asking some really pointed questions of them lately and they're telling her some revealing stuff.  I wish we didn't have to watch that to know what was really happening, though.  If this happened in the shower and the bedroom when cameras weren't rolling there's no way we could see it, but at least have them talk about it on the regular show so we know about it!

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

It seems to me that either "the experts" are really bad at their jobs or they are intentionally picking matches that would incompatible and who would create drama and conflict and keep people watching.  I think this was a season of good and attractive folks who were just poorly matched.  Statistics wise over the seasons "the experts" are doing worse at picking compatible people than occurs in the regular population and regular marriages.  That doesn't say a lot for their expertise. 

• Like 3

I wish men would not be talked about as we are some monoloith. Whether it be how men express emotions or us being visual creatures, etc etc. Also, ignoring how many women will cancel a man out three seconds after seeing them. People are people. Some people are more closed off than others. Its more about them as a person. Gender is irrelevant. I know a lot of time, we are talking in general terms not every person of a gender but its not applicable.

Amen to that.

As much as I don't love Keisha and wish they would stop putting her on almost every commercial break,

It's not her fault that they put her on every break. Is there another reason you don't like her? I actually do - I think she has done a nice job of politely but firmly calling participants out on stuff this season. I agree that there is a lot of information that comes out on Afterparty that we don't get otherwise.

He can leave if it's too much. No one is forcing him to stay there. I am actually sort of surprised that the show doesn't show this sort of stuff (though Emily should be grateful they didn't). They do seem to be going more for drama than successful relationships.

• Like 2
On 1/10/2024 at 10:06 PM, Elizzikra said:

Oh - and could the ladies please knock it off the pink on AfterParty. I know Barbie was a thing and all but there are other colors.

Did they say it was for Barbie?  Wednesday was some sort of wear pink for the new Mean Girls movie promotion.

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

It's not her fault that they put her on every break. Is there another reason you don't like her? I actually do - I think she has done a nice job of politely but firmly calling participants out on stuff this season. I agree that there is a lot of information that comes out on Afterparty that we don't get otherwise.

Oh I know it's not her fault.  I just didn't like her from the beginning.  Something about the way she presented herself and handled the show irritated me.  Purely subjective stuff.  I do think she's come a long way, though, but first impressions are sometimes hard to get over.

He can leave if it's too much. No one is forcing him to stay there. I am actually sort of surprised that the show doesn't show this sort of stuff (though Emily should be grateful they didn't). They do seem to be going more for drama than successful relationships.

I'm thinking it happened when and where no cameras were around to film it.  We haven't seen any footage at all from those "hidden" apartment web cams this season.  But even if there were webcams they wouldn't be in the shower or the bedroom while they're alone together at night.  Although I can't believe there wouldn't be some on camera evidence of her behavior.

This is reminding me sort of that guy Derek from the Miami season way back in 2016 who the show didn't out about being a pot smoker although we all figured it out.  There had to be footage of him smoking or at least arguments with Heather over it, but nothing actually disclosing him as a pot smoker was ever aired.  They only made references to him being a "smoker".  Heather was very upset about it probably because it was something she didn't do herself or want in a partner and she also may have been worried about how her job would see her involvement with someone that smoked weed (she was a flight attendant).  She may have thought they would suspect her of coming to work high which would get her fired.  But the point is that the show never disclosed the REAL issue.  They made it about "smoking" but it made Heather look mean and ridiculous for being that upset about cigarettes.  We never heard the real issue, although Derek revealed much later in an "In Touch" interview that it was indeed over pot smoking.

So this isn't the first time the show has hidden a certain potentially controversial lifestyle or type of behavior from the audience.  Unfortunately I think Brennan may be getting a crap edit because of it.  It's making him look like a bastard when he may only be trying to keep his mouth shut about her behavior either because he didn't want to embarrass her or because the show edited it out or both.  He may have been angry about being put in that situation so he refused to "play the game" yet was determined to stay there at least to earn his paycheck even if it meant sitting there and not participating whatsoever.  I can kind of understand how he felt, but he didn't make himself look very good in the process.  And is the paycheck really worth going through all that?  Probably not.  But maybe by that time he was sticking it out out of spite.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
27 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

So this isn't the first time the show has hidden a certain potentially controversial lifestyle or type of behavior from the audience.  

There was the couple who I think were named Sheila and Nate (black couple - she had very short hair?) and we found out later that she had found another woman's clothes or shoes in his trunk and was upset, even counseled with Pepper about it off camera, but we saw none of it - Sheila was made to look like a jealous nutcase for no reason.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

We haven't seen any footage at all from those "hidden" apartment web cams this season. 

We did, I think. Wasn't the footage of Brennan and Emily from inside the apartment, right after the came in from the hot tub, on the apartment cam?

This is reminding me sort of that guy Derek from the Miami season way back in 2016 who the show didn't out about being a pot smoker although we all figured it out.  There had to be footage of him smoking or at least arguments with Heather over it, but nothing actually disclosing him as a pot smoker was ever aired.  

Since it wasn't legal at the time, I can see why they didn't air it. Being drunk isn't illegal but I can see maybe not wanting to air it to protect Emily. Then again, if he's going to bring it up on Afterparty, may as well bring it up on the actual show.

Oh I know it's not her fault.  I just didn't like her from the beginning.  Something about the way she presented herself and handled the show irritated me.  Purely subjective stuff.  I do think she's come a long way, though, but first impressions are sometimes hard to get over.

Got it. I was curious because a lot of people don't like her and I don't really have an issue with her. I didn't used to watch Afterparty but the last couple of weeks have been informative.

Did they say it was for Barbie?  Wednesday was some sort of wear pink for the new Mean Girls movie promotion.

They didn't say that and I don't know that it is - I think maybe they are just trying to be on trend? 

In Mean Girls, one of the rules for the Plastics is that they wear pink on Wednesdays. I bought a t-shirt when I saw the musical; it's black and says "Wednesday" in pink letters. I love it even though most people don't get the reference out of context. 

• Like 2
On 1/11/2024 at 2:26 PM, Crashcourse said:

Austin might not be into Becca, but he's no prize.  Dude needs to clean himself up.  Get rid of that scruffy beard and stop wearing that stupid cap.

He'd better not commit a crime because it would be easy for someone to identify him:  white dude with scruffy beard, wearing a backwards baseball cap, and looks like he needs a shower.  Busted!

Another show….. another dirtbag 😂🤣😄

• LOL 3

We did, I think. Wasn't the footage of Brennan and Emily from inside the apartment, right after the came in from the hot tub, on the apartment cam?

Yeah, you're right, I went back and saw that.  It was better quality than ones from previous seasons so it didn't register with me as webcam footage.

Since it wasn't legal at the time, I can see why they didn't air it. Being drunk isn't illegal but I can see maybe not wanting to air it to protect Emily. Then again, if he's going to bring it up on Afterparty, may as well bring it up on the actual show.

I know, it doesn't make any sense that he wouldn't bring it up on the actual show if he's going to let it come out on the Afterparty.  It gives a completely different impression.  We've also seen something like this where both Cam and Clare revealed stuff on the Afterparty that the other one did that wasn't shown on the main show.  Here's a theory - maybe they want people to tune into the Afterparty so they're editing the main show to leave out important stuff that can be dropped like bombs on the Afterparty.  But that would be stupid.  Not that they couldn't do something that stupid, though, lol.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, princelina said:

There was the couple who I think were named Sheila and Nate (black couple - she had very short hair?) and we found out later that she had found another woman's clothes or shoes in his trunk and was upset, even counseled with Pepper about it off camera, but we saw none of it - Sheila was made to look like a jealous nutcase for no reason.

Yeah, I remember doing a complete 180 on my opinion of Sheila when I learned that.  She got the booby prize with him and a raw deal from the show with how they made her look.  It looks like Brennan is in similar shoes right now.  I don't think I'd love him anyway but he didn't deserve this.

• Like 6

The show cannot have hidden cameras in bedrooms and bathrooms, that would be a huge violation of privacy. If the behavior happens in public or during regular filming they will show it like Lindsay’s drunk antics with Mark the Shark. I imagine there are legal reasons why the experts won’t come out and call people an alcoholic, pot head or abusive. They skirt around the issue and it is annoying but I think they aren’t in a position to be able to prove someone has a drinking problem and they don’t want viewers to think they selected such a person.

I do think they have had a fair amount of people with either substance abuse issues or mental health issues and I wonder about this supposed extensive testing. But hey, Dr. Pepper can tell everything by rifling through their underwear!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 5

I think that they may not show some of the worst/illegal behavior as it would clearly demonstrate that they either do not have the participants' interests at heart or they do absolutely no vetting at all.  Remember Mia with her legal issues that prevented them from even boarding an airplane?  We only knew what happened because they weren't at the resort for the honeymoon with everyone else.  Just like Derek's pot smoking could have impacted his wife's job-some of these behaviors and practices could have real world consequences for the unknowing stranger spouse.  So, I think they deliberately edit out some of the behaviors/actions to keep up the charade that they really do "pick" the 'best' candidates for the show.

There are too many horrible participants for it to be someone slipping through the cracks.  And yet I still watch...  

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

There are too many horrible participants for it to be someone slipping through the cracks.  And yet I still watch...  

I know....I hear you.  It's not just the horrible participants for me but the unethical practices of production.  I took a season off hoping I'd be free of it for good but ended up unable to stay away this season.  I need a program to get myself off of this show!  It's making me question what kind of person I am that I continue to watch it.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, cinsays said:

and i think he is staying away from her and having no physical contact so she doesn't rope him into an unwanted pregnancy

I suggest to throw her off.  She is dangerous and I don’t blame him for not liking her.  Apparently, she drinks too much.  Now I understand why he wants nothing to do with her.  Who knew?

• Like 3

Actually, I was adamant about the way he was practically ignoring her.  Now I know why he acts that way.  She’s a handful and dangerous.  Why doesn’t he leave?  People have left before, especially when in danger like this.  Jumping on top of him.  Yuk.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

The show cannot have hidden cameras in bedrooms and bathrooms, that would be a huge violation of privacy. If the behavior happens in public or during regular filming they will show it like Lindsay’s drunk antics with Mark the Shark. I imagine there are legal reasons why the experts won’t come out and call people an alcoholic, pot head or abusive. They skirt around the issue and it is annoying but I think they aren’t in a position to be able to prove someone has a drinking problem and they don’t want viewers to think they selected such a person.

I do think they have had a fair amount of people with either substance abuse issues or mental health issues and I wonder about this supposed extensive testing. But hey, Dr. Pepper can tell everything by rifling through their underwear!

I’ve noticed Peppers demeanor has changed.  She can’t fudge it anymore.  Cal too.  They know what’s going on and don’t like it, but the show must go on.

Guess lots of people don’t believe taking a chance by marrying a stranger, as they are picking the bottom of the barrel.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Yeah, you're right, I went back and saw that.  It was better quality than ones from previous seasons so it didn't register with me as webcam footage.

I know, it doesn't make any sense that he wouldn't bring it up on the actual show if he's going to let it come out on the Afterparty.  It gives a completely different impression.  We've also seen something like this where both Cam and Clare revealed stuff on the Afterparty that the other one did that wasn't shown on the main show.  Here's a theory - maybe they want people to tune into the Afterparty so they're editing the main show to leave out important stuff that can be dropped like bombs on the Afterparty.  But that would be stupid.  Not that they couldn't do something that stupid, though, lol.  

Getting tired of Keisha too.  It’s like her show now.  

• Like 1

Emily and her friend and their “like like like” and vocal fry and uptalk.  So immature.  “Like OMG Really!?!!?”   So fake.  And so telling.  I hope these people who are old enough to know better, see themselves on tv and decide to speak and act like an adult.  Because it’s not cute. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I imagine there are legal reasons why the experts won’t come out and call people an alcoholic, pot head or abusive. They skirt around the issue and it is annoying but I think they aren’t in a position to be able to prove someone has a drinking problem and they don’t want viewers to think they selected such a person.

But they don't skirt around it - they ignore it completely!  I don't think they need to call anyone an alcoholic or abusive, but they can say, for example, "You got very drunk, tried to get in his shower and tore the shower curtain down and then passed out on him in the bed, and can't remember what happened the next day. People don't like that, and that's why Brennan is turning sour on you."  Instead they tell Brennan to get therapy!  Cal feebly tried to tell that Virginia who wanted to go out drinking all the time with her "guy friends" and spend the night at their houses to not do that, but he could have been stronger about it.  And I'll just keep beating this dead horse - both Virginia and Emily were unashamed to tell the show and the audience from the get-go that their favorite hobby was going out and getting drunk with their friends!  That should disqualify them right there!  If that's what they want their marriages to be then they need to pick up a barfly and make it work.

• Like 4
  • Applause 6
25 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

Emily and her friend and their “like like like” and vocal fry and uptalk.  So immature.  “Like OMG Really!?!!?”   So fake.  And so telling.  I hope these people who are old enough to know better, see themselves on tv and decide to speak and act like an adult.  Because it’s not cute. 

I know, I never heard vocal fry so bad!  It was like chalk on a blackboard annoying!  I agree with you 10,000%, but the sad truth is that even if they spoke and tried to act more like an adult they would still be immature babies for their age.  🙁

• Like 5
On 1/12/2024 at 7:45 PM, Elizzikra said:

Yes it was but they were not alone as someone walked in front of the camera at the very start of that footage, so I'm guessing it was either filmed after the fact or the camera person from outside was still around when they started their conversation & quickly set up their iphone or similar.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 1/14/2024 at 12:03 AM, princelina said:

But they don't skirt around it - they ignore it completely!  I don't think they need to call anyone an alcoholic or abusive, but they can say, for example, "You got very drunk, tried to get in his shower and tore the shower curtain down and then passed out on him in the bed, and can't remember what happened the next day. People don't like that, and that's why Brennan is turning sour on you."  Instead they tell Brennan to get therapy!  Cal feebly tried to tell that Virginia who wanted to go out drinking all the time with her "guy friends" and spend the night at their houses to not do that, but he could have been stronger about it.  And I'll just keep beating this dead horse - both Virginia and Emily were unashamed to tell the show and the audience from the get-go that their favorite hobby was going out and getting drunk with their friends!  That should disqualify them right there!  If that's what they want their marriages to be then they need to pick up a barfly and make it work.

And the “Experts” didn’t pick up on their immaturity?   Guess we’ll have to watch some more games until decision day.  

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 2
(edited)
On 1/12/2024 at 2:33 PM, princelina said:

I agree and I think the conversations they force are all dreary - it's like they want to make the saying "Marriage is hard work" really, really true.  That fishbowl exercise could be fun and beneficial instead of a dreary slog of depressing incidents, and some of those questions would require some thought to answer properly.  A lighthearted fishbowl with conversation starters on fun topics would be enjoyable to do with some wine in a hot tub.  These "experts" just suck.

And why the After Party.  Is this the main show now with the call in suggestions and games?   “And now a word from our Sponsers .. we will be back in a minute”.  Yeah, like ten commercials later.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1

I watch the Afterparty, only because there are occasional items revealed.

But between all the clips from the show, which I literally had just watched, the breaks, and that stupid "show drink", I FF enough that it takes about 10-12 minutes total.

• Like 6

There’s not one likable person on this season. The weirdo they are giving a second chance to, is that fair to do to the lady? Does she know they are matching her with an unattractive oddball ?

• Like 6

Does she know they are matching her with an unattractive oddball ?

He's not my type, appearance-wise but there's someone for everyone. He seems actually like a nice enough, successful guy and the whole point of this show is to match people for deeper compatibility than just surface appearance. 

Honestly, the way he handled being left at the altar really impressed me. He's probably my favorite of the men on this season. 

• Like 7
29 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

He's not my type, appearance-wise but there's someone for everyone. He seems actually like a nice enough, successful guy and the whole point of this show is to match people for deeper compatibility than just surface appearance. 

Honestly, the way he handled being left at the altar really impressed me. He's probably my favorite of the men on this season. 

You are right and I let my bitchy side post. I actually felt sorry for him when he was on a few weeks back and seemed to be tearing up since being left after someone looks at you must hurt. However, he is different and I would say it’s only fair to give a heads up to his future wife. 
Plus, these folks can’t seem to get excited over the more traditional looking people they get matched with.  

• Like 2

However, he is different and I would say it’s only fair to give a heads up to his future wife. 

I don't agree. The whole point of the show is to go below the surface. They don't tell anyone anything about their future spouses so I'm not sure where you would draw the line in saying "head's up - you got a weird one." Would Becca's pink hair qualify? Or tattoos? And is it just looks or could it also be something lifestyle related, like Mitch's environmentalism or maybe someone who follows a vegan diet? Now that I think about it, I think Michael's fashion is pretty out there (at least, where I'm from) but he's otherwise fairly conventional. I think he has a pretty mainstream job and I don't remember any out-there hobbies or interests. 

While I'm on it, what would they even say to a future spouse by way of a heads up? "He's different" isn't super helpful; different than what? Different from whom? And to what end - making the potential spouse even more nervous about their match?

I think if you go on this show, you get what you get. I think the "experts" make some crap matches (or whoever it is that actually makes the matches; I'm not so sure it's the experts) but at this point in the show's history, there is no excuse to not know that going in. Once something about someone is "heads-up" worthy, you've sort of violated the premise of the show and it's become Married-With-A-Glimpse or something.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Yes, Michael is different and he knows it, which is why he shouldn't have gone on MAFS because he shouldn't have been surprised that the bride wouldn't be attracted to him.  He should just date normally, let someone get to see him and get to know him.  If women have been rejecting him because of his "unique" style and appearance, then maybe he should rethink how he presents himself.

So, I don't feel sorry for him.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
10 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't agree. The whole point of the show is to go below the surface. They don't tell anyone anything about their future spouses so I'm not sure where you would draw the line in saying "head's up - you got a weird one." Would Becca's pink hair qualify? Or tattoos? And is it just looks or could it also be something lifestyle related, like Mitch's environmentalism or maybe someone who follows a vegan diet? Now that I think about it, I think Michael's fashion is pretty out there (at least, where I'm from) but he's otherwise fairly conventional. I think he has a pretty mainstream job and I don't remember any out-there hobbies or interests. 

While I'm on it, what would they even say to a future spouse by way of a heads up? "He's different" isn't super helpful; different than what? Different from whom? And to what end - making the potential spouse even more nervous about their match?

I think if you go on this show, you get what you get. I think the "experts" make some crap matches (or whoever it is that actually makes the matches; I'm not so sure it's the experts) but at this point in the show's history, there is no excuse to not know that going in. Once something about someone is "heads-up" worthy, you've sort of violated the premise of the show and it's become Married-With-A-Glimpse or something.

I would think they could at least tell her he wears what looks like women’s leggings. 
If you have two weirdos, say Amelia and Bennett, then no need to tip anyone off but this guys already been rejected once. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

because he shouldn't have been surprised that the bride wouldn't be attracted to him. 

this guys already been rejected once. 

As was presented to us, the bride decided she didn't want to marry a stranger. She didn't take one look at Michael and say "yeah, no." And she did send him a sword and crown to wear at the altar so she must have been at least a little unconventional herself. 

I understand what folks are saying but the clothes aren't permanently affixed to his body. He has a unique sense of style. Whatever. But every single person on this show - hell, in the world - has something about them that is someone's dealbreaker. The whole point is that the show is trying to get people to look beyond their dealbreakers, especially the surface level ones, to be matched on something deeper.

There was a time when I was very appearance conscious, both about myself and whoever I was with. I would not have dated a Michael. Now I'm married to a Michael of a different sort. My husband absolutely doesn't care in the slightest what he looks like. He has some wild hair and a pretty bushy beard. He wears old t-shirts and sweatpants 90 percent of the time. He only wears shoes when necessary. Younger me wouldn't have looked twice. Current me recognizes how blessed and lucky I am to have such an incredible, kind, intelligent, funny and loving husband. He's the same person in his old shirt and sweats as he is in a suit (which is rare). 

Bottom line - I just don't see Michael's unconventional fashion choices as the most important or interesting thing about him. It may be one of the most visible but it doesn't really say anything about what kind of husband he will be or what sort of person he is.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

I think that that's the sort of thing they should be interviewing/personality testing for.  I, for example, would not want a guy who likes to wear skirts, as Michael says he does when in the mood, or someone with neck tattoos like Olajuwon (was that his name?)I ended up liking Olajuwon, but if he were my match I don't think i could get over it.  Michael's new match looks a lot more regular than him, but from the way she is describing herself she seems like she'd be okay with his individuality, unless she just enjoys thinking of herself as more liberal and accepting than she really is 😂. That's where the "experts" should come in.

• Like 5

Well, call me shallow, but appearance is important to me.  I learned the lesson years ago that attraction is very important in a relationship.  When I was single I was far from focused only on the superficial but even the nicest, most stable, hardworking, decent guy that I don't find attractive is not going to make a good match for me.  I passed up guys like that when I was young.  Dated them, gave them a chance, even a kiss, but if there was no spark, forget it.  

Mr. Yeah No is like me - he isn't all about appearance but he puts some effort into his appearance.  He dresses pretty conventionally but never sloppy or unkempt - nice jeans, nice shoes or sneakers, trims his beard, keeps his teeth in good shape.  I don't think it makes either of us shallow that we want a partner that presents themselves in a way that we can appreciate.   And Michael is just too unconventional for me.  I think he's a very specific person that only a relatively rare, specific person would find attractive, and would be hard to match on a show like this or probably anywhere, which could be one reason why he's still single.

I know myself well enough to say that Michael could be the nicest guy in the world but his appearance is not for me.  And it's enough not for me that it would be a deal breaker for sure.  Actually with him it's not even only about his manner of dressing but his face too.  It's too much outside the range of what I would find attractive even if he was a really great person.  And my range of acceptability is not that rigid either.  If you saw photos of my old boyfriends you'd find a mix of handsome to not-so-handsome in there.  A couple were even bald!

Who knows?  Michael may float this woman's boat, but the vibe I'm getting from her is that she is up for an adventure and is not so focused on getting married but having an "experience".   I think she thinks that if she falls in love it will be a bonus but it's not the main reason she's there.  I think she is willing to take a chance but is aware that this is a long shot.  Just an impression I'm getting from her.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
On 1/11/2024 at 6:45 AM, kristen111 said:

Men are visual.  If they don’t like what they see from the beginning, the girls are toast.  I’m married over fifty years.  My husband will literally run away when I want to have a conversation about something that will make him uncomfortable.  Brennen saw or heard something about Emily that was distasteful and did a 180 from the beginning.  Plus, I really think he would prefer a woman the same religion as his and his parents.  I didn’t even watch the After Party.  More bullshit.  I think the “Experts” know they screw up with the picking.  They look disgusted.

I’m no expert,but I think Cameron might have that A-Fib going on.  Maybe a pacemaker to regulate the heartbeat?  Maybe.

That's what I've been thinking.  AFib and he's going for an abolition!  If he had serious heart problems I don't think he'd be filming!

Regarding Brennan and Emily did I hear him right at the after party about Emily tearing down shower  curtains and trying to jump his bones!  Sounds like a lot goes on with these newly weds behind the scenes!

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Yes, Michael is different and he knows it, which is why he shouldn't have gone on MAFS because he shouldn't have been surprised that the bride wouldn't be attracted to him.  He should just date normally, let someone get to see him and get to know him.  If women have been rejecting him because of his "unique" style and appearance, then maybe he should rethink how he presents himself.

So, I don't feel sorry for him.

Yes I have to agree.  Michael and his close friends have to agree Michael is different.

I think he's a good person with a kind soul if one could just get past his presentation!

On 1/15/2024 at 7:15 AM, kristen111 said:

And why the After Party.  Is this the main show now with the call in suggestions and games?   “And now a word from our Sponsers .. we will be back in a minute”.  Yeah, like ten commercials later.

And don't forget  Keisha Knight Pullum announcing her name over and over and....

• Like 3

Things are coming out that we didn’t know about, for instance the Emily and Brennan tabacle.  I was always wondering why he’s so crabby.  Why as it up to Keisha to tell us about it?  Not everyone watches the After Party show, including me.  This show is getting weird.  It’s like they changed Producers and other things.

• Like 2

I don’t think Emily should have torn down the shower curtain but a man will usually jump at the chance for sex with his wife. Even if they don’t know each other all that well. He’s just not attracted to her at all and he should have left for good if he was that upset about it instead of subjecting the viewers to that horrid hot tub scene. All the men this season seem a bit effeminate. Orion, the jilted guy, Austin and Brennan.  I doubt any of them really wanted to be married.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
21 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

The whole point is that the show is trying to get people to look beyond their dealbreakers, especially the surface level ones, to be matched on something deeper.

But that's why they're called dealbreakers, because a person can't/doesn't want to look beyond them.   I don't see anything wrong with that.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

Am I the only one who was thinking that Lauren should have been matched with the guy who got left at the alter?   For some reason, I think they could work as a couple. 

No, I thought that too. Maybe they’ll find each other when this whole mess is over. I’m not terribly optimistic about Michael and Chloe.

• Like 2

Just took another look at Michael.  He's just so 'on the dark side' looking.  Hair hanging, beard, black suit, tatoos, earring.  That's just a lot to take in!

He has signs of really bad acne so I wonder if all of that is to cover up his scars.

I think Michael could use a really good makeover!  Might lighten him up and more attractive to a bride!

• Like 1
  • Applause 2