Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

When a close friend of Mr. Potts is murdered, Eliza finds herself investigating the dark and macabre world of Victorian undertakers.

PBS makes the complete season available on Passport beginning on 1/7. Discussion in this thread may contain plot information pertaining to the episode before it airs on PBS.  Do not use spoiler tags unless mentioning something from a later episode.

4 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

Watched on Passport last night.  Good episode but sad ending and a cliffhanger which we had to know was coming sooner or later.

oh!!! I don't have Passport (or do I???)

Can't wait!!!!!

2 minutes ago, taanja said:

oh!!! I don't have Passport (or do I???)

If you support your local PBS station, you probably do have Passport.

Big snowstorm heading my way so I might treat myself to a full season watch while trapped indoors.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

If you support your local PBS station, you probably do have Passport.

Big snowstorm heading my way so I might treat myself to a full season watch while trapped indoors.

Yup! big snow and what a perfect idea!

if I have passport ??? (I do support my local PBS) Miss Scarlet and The Duke sounds like a nice way to pass the time.

I'm not worried that the Duke is going anywhere, considering Stuart Martin is now listed as an executive producer of the show (as is Kate Phillips).

I am, however, concerned for Fitzroy-- he better not be going to New York!

• Like 8

I had read the post above about a "sad ending" so I was greatly afraid for Fitzroy when they raided the robbers' den.  Thankfully, he survived and, as has also been said above, I can't worry too much about the Duke - we know he'll be okay.

And Eliza made a little headway with Mr. Potts so that is all to the good.

I miss Moses too.

• Like 6
(edited)

I thought this episode was better than the first one of this season. Better mystery, better use of secondary characters, better interactions between Eliza and William.

I don't think Moses will be in Season 4:

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/business/software/how-watch-miss-scarlet-and-the-duke-season-four/

Season Four of “Miss Scarlet and The Duke” welcomes two new actors, Paul Bazely and Curtis Kantsa. Meanwhile, Ansu Kabia was unavailable to reprise the role of Moses this season after playing the part for the first three seasons.

Edited by tv echo
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 1

Anyone catch the “preview” for next week? Looks like we’ll be treated to a flashback to Eliza’s and William’s childhood, with a much younger actor playing Eliza’s father (a police officer at that time). Probably a depiction of William’s anesthesia induced, recovery stupor.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Daff said:

Anyone catch the “preview” for next week? Looks like we’ll be treated to a flashback to Eliza’s and William’s childhood, with a much younger actor playing Eliza’s father (a police officer at that time). Probably a depiction of William’s anesthesia induced, recovery stupor.

Yes! I'm looking forward to it. 

• Like 2
(edited)

Nice episode.  But I do wish they'd allow Eliza to get clients on her own, rather than being handed them by the police (no longer an option, thankfully) or because they're friend/family.  You'd think there would be an opportunity to get cases from other families who aren't getting their cases looked at by the oh-so-busy Scotland Yard.  I like the realism of her having a hard time getting the business going, but from a viewer standpoint, it's rather dull.  I don't need her to become the Best Private Detective Ever, but just want a little success for her. 

I think they missed an opportunity - it would have been really fun if she had established a connection with the prostitutes in Ep 1, so they were now her new band of informants.  I'd think they would come by all sorts of information that would be helpful in cases.

I liked Eliza bonding with the undertaker's daughter over expectations of fathers and their daughters. 

I caught the preview, too.  I'm hoping it isn't an anesthesia induced dream, but rather Eliza sitting with Fitzroy in the hospital, telling him the story of how William came to be a part of her family.  And it would be nice if this is what finally gets William and Eliza together, and ends the will they/won't they. 

Edited by chaifan
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I think they missed an opportunity - it would have been really fun if she had established a connection with the prostitutes in Ep 1, so they were now her new band of informants.  I'd think they would come by all sorts of information that would be helpful in cases.

Yes, this is why I keep pointing out that Eliza’s list of allies keeps growing. Unfortunately, TPTB, don’t seem interested in returning to those characters. They would be helpful in Eliza’s quest to solidify her reputation and gaining clientele. The writers seem to be focused on stand alone episodes and they leave us with the impression that Eliza must start from scratch each episode. It doesn’t help that some of our favorite allies don’t seem to be available to return.

Edited by Daff
  • Like 8
12 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Nice episode.  But I do wish they'd allow Eliza to get clients on her own, rather than being handed them by the police (no longer an option, thankfully) or because they're friend/family.  You'd think there would be an opportunity to get cases from other families who aren't getting their cases looked at by the oh-so-busy Scotland Yard.  I like the realism of her having a hard time getting the business going, but from a viewer standpoint, it's rather dull.  I don't need her to become the Best Private Detective Ever, but just want a little success for her. 

I feel the same. Surely, she can have some clients? I don't expect her to be wildly successful but I thought in past seasons, she did have some who came directly to her. 

• Like 7
17 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I’m optimistic about the cliffhanger considering the title of the series!

Me too!

Optimistic!

There is NO WAY they are killing William! I mean -- NO way! (I actually thought it was going to be Fitzroy who was a gonner - especially when he mentioned earlier in ep about wanting to go to NY City.) So when all the cops went into that building I figured it was his last episode!

Looks like we get a flashback next week. The how did William enter Eliza's life episode.

I knew right away that the sister of dead dude was somehow involved in his murder.

2 hours ago, Daff said:

Morphine was the "anesthesia" of the time. So -Morphine induced dreams! good times!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

The second William said that they were gonna go in, even though they were outnumbered, I knew he was gonna get shot; we all know William's not gonna die; I think this will be the catalyst to them getting together - Elisa, after having nearly lost him, realises how much she loves him and William, after nearly dying, realises life is too short to not be with the person you love. My only hope is that Fitzroy doesn't go to New York.

• Like 5
On 1/14/2024 at 7:43 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

I am, however, concerned for Fitzroy-- he better not be going to New York!

That is the biggest worry! I wouldn't even call this a cliffhanger. Of course he's going to survive. Maybe this is the catalyst for the two of them to finally get over themselves and get together? I can only hope.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Eliza disguising her identity at the funeral home by using the alias Miss Manners.  Heh.

I also laughed at the fake name.

But, I also wondered...  if she suspected the funeral home of sending her the threatening bouquet of flowers, why wouldn't she assume that they know who she is?  It seemed silly to go "undercover" to a place that supposedly knows who you are and is threatening you. 

• Like 6
(edited)

I knew that there would be trouble as soon as William said that they were going into the robbery even though they were understaffed, plus with the rather ominous name of the episode. I was relived when we saw Fitzroy, I knew that William would be fine but Fitzroy is the sort of likable supporting character that shows love to kill off. I hope that this leads to William and Eliza finally realizing what they mean to each other and move forward, nothing like a near death experience to make what's important obvious. 

The case of the week was pretty fun, I was hoping for a bit more about Victorian funerary practices (some of which were wild) but I overall thought it was a solid case. I do wish that Eliza would build up more contacts among people she has helped and worked with, getting information from people like the prostitutes from the last episode and other people often ignored by society could give her an edge.

The talk between Eliza and the undertakers sister was really nice, and could be a nice way to head into next weeks flashback episode. It looks like its going to be a really fun one. I didn't expect a flashback episode, I am really excited!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 3
On 1/14/2024 at 11:08 PM, Souris said:

I miss Moses 

On 1/15/2024 at 9:24 AM, Trey said:

I miss Moses too.

I hadn't realized what an integral part of the show this character was until he wasn't there.  It's like it's a different show.  I'm not looking forward to next week's show.  The 'will they, won't they' aspect of the show is its worst aspect.  I'll be tuning out if they become a couple. I like my detectives to be single (Sherlock, Poirot, Marple, Vera, Endeavour, Morse, Jessica Fletcher, Rockford, Marlowe and Spade.)

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I hadn't realized what an integral part of the show this character was until he wasn't there.  It's like it's a different show.  I'm not looking forward to next week's show.  The 'will they, won't they' aspect of the show is its worst aspect.  I'll be tuning out if they become a couple. I like my detectives to be single (Sherlock, Poirot, Marple, Vera, Endeavour, Morse, Jessica Fletcher, Rockford, Marlowe and Spade.)

See - I am completely opposite. I watch this show first and foremost for the Eliza/William relationship and the great potential I see!

The mystery of the week is just an after thought.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

The 'will they, won't they' aspect of the show is its worst aspect.  I'll be tuning out if they become a couple. I like my detectives to be single (Sherlock, Poirot, Marple, Vera, Endeavour, Morse, Jessica Fletcher, Rockford, Marlowe and Spade.)

I completely agree.  But they could give Eliza more to do than just get cases from William.  I enjoy how they play off each other but I don't want to see them become a couple.  Where would the show go from there?  It would be a completely different show.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, alias1 said:

But they could give Eliza more to do than just get cases from William. 

Since next week seems to be a flashback episode, maybe we can hope that William will be off-duty for another episode or so, cutting off Eliza from Scotland Yard access and leaving her to go get her cases herself.

It makes no sense that she was able to get cases when she had her own office (yes, some came from William, but not all), but has -0- clients now that she's running Nash & Sons. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1