Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Eliza is on the trail of a fugitive who is charged with murder. She must find him before the police do or risk losing everything.

PBS makes the complete season available on Passport beginning on 1/7 before it airs on PBS. Discussion in this thread may contain plot information pertaining to the episode before it airs on PBS.  Do not use spoiler tags.  

Moses being missing is sad but I figured it was about scheduling, especially since the show films outside of the UK/Ireland area unlike the first season.  

But both this season and last season had essentially two full episodes without William.  I wonder if that's a budgeting thing or a scheduling thing.  

I'd wonder if he were leaving the show except they stuck Nash in prison. 

It was pretty much 3 episodes without William this season since he was just in the first and last minute of 4.03. I'm very worried about what the show is planning for him since he seems to not have made much progress at work (always beaten down by an overbearing boss) and at a stalemate in his relationship with Eliza.

I also wondered if they were going to write him off after seeing Nash basically replace him in the last 3 episodes. It felt like they're hedging their bets by saying that Nash will probably go to prison, but also have him say he'll beat the charges. 

• Like 2

Is it sad that Clarence was my favorite character this season? I hope he comes back.

Not pleased about Phelps getting the job, but Fitzroy being confident with his father was all kinds of hot.

Could Eliza not come to some kind of deal with Nash to keep the office and employees under her name?

I assume next season (if there is one) will pick up after a time jump, and William will be back from New York and Nash will be out of jail...

• Like 4

Personally, I'm glad that Fitzroy didn't take the job.  Phelps may be irascible, but he is competent, and Fitzroy's got a long way to go.

If Eliza makes a go of her own agency, at least she'll have a group of detectives she can contract work to on the cases.

Did the concept of paid overtime even exist in the 1880s?

• Like 6

This episode felt rushed and slipshod.  With all extra work we were told Scotland Yard faced this year, would it go out the way to put a vigilante in prison when he didn’t kill a known murderer?  Nash seems a stronger match for Eliza.  But he’s conveniently taken out so that we can stick with the more fairy-tale like Duke as a match.  Shoehorn in the romance, since that’s the title of the series.  I’ll still watch the series (but only because there’s not much else I want to see), but the show has treated Nash as a pathetic deus ex machina.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I didn't realize as I was watching it that this was the last episode of the season.  No offense to the Brits out there, but damn, I hate the British-style tv programming.  And it seems that all the streaming channels are following suit, maybe giving us 8-10 episodes per "season".  Oh, how I miss the good old fashioned 8 month 22 episode seasons of my youth! 

Anyhoo...

I liked this episode.  I like that Eliza doesn't listen to Nash just like she doesn't listen to William, or really, anyone for that matter.  Tell her "it's dangerous", and damn, she dives right in.  I liked having Nash as the suspect, but I wish they gave a little more background on his brother's death.  Why was he killed?  Why did the guy get away?

Fitz is adorable.  I really thought they were going to end up splitting the job - Phelps is in charge of the detectives, and Fitz takes on the public face, dealing with press, higher ups, politicians, etc.  But I'm glad Fitz said no, and if anyone follows Carolyn Hax (advice columnist), he took a few things straight out of her playbook! 

I was wondering why Eliza couldn't run Nash's office under her license.  What happens to their current cases?  What happens to the employees? 

I'm fine with Eliza going full circle back to her own business, and I hope the publicity from being at Nash & Sons means next season (if there is a next season) she won't be as reliant on the police to feed her cases. 

I loved Eliza's reveal to Nash that he is her friend, and the only person who has really recognized and utilized her skills.  I'm sort of hoping that next season his trial has concluded, he's found guilty of a minor crime and his punishment is suspension of his PI license  until he works XX hours under the supervision of another PI.  So now, he's Eliza's employee! 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Could Eliza not come to some kind of deal with Nash to keep the office and employees under her name?

She can’t even pay the accountant, let alone the detectives….

7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Personally, I'm glad that Fitzroy didn't take the job.  Phelps may be irascible, but he is competent, and Fitzroy's got a long way to go.

If Eliza makes a go of her own agency, at least she'll have a group of detectives she can contract work to on the cases.

Did the concept of paid overtime even exist in the 1880s?

I really liked the “truce” (sort of) that Fitz and Phelps landed on. Phelps will still wind up Fitz, but I think he has a bit of respect for him now, and maybe realizes Fitz really does want to achieve on merit, not Daddy’s influence and connections. Phelps climbed a couple notches in my book when he thanked Fitz- never expected him to. The most I thought we’d hear from him was a simple acknowledgment, no more.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Daff said:

That was 2 episodes ago.  By this episode, the office was thriving, with enough work and money coming in to offer the other detectives "overtime".  (Not sure if that was a thing back then, or at least the way we understand it.)  The accountant didn't like it, but he admitted they had the money to do it.

• Like 6

So. The final ep? 

I am with whoever said I miss the American 22-24 eps per season. This 6 ep a season crap is --- well! crap!

The opening scene with Eliza and Nash during the shootout was cute -- my only sorrow is it wasn't Eliza and William doing the cutesy thing together.

See. In my vision of the show -- that's how I picture Eliza and William being --solving cases together/working together/ living together.

Sigh.

I did like that things came full circle. Eliza is back in her old office with a new sign.

Without William it's like the show is lacking something. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, taanja said:

I am with whoever said I miss the American 22-24 eps per season. This 6 ep a season crap is --- well! crap!

And I think the extended period between what are laughingly called "seasons" is the reason we don't see recurring characters.  Actors need to work and are probably off to do other roles in between filming six episodes.  And I am sure they are eager to ensure employment especially if there is a question about a show being renewed.

Sure would have been nice to keep characters like Moses!

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, taanja said:

So. The final ep? 

The opening scene with Eliza and Nash during the shootout was cute -- my only sorrow is it wasn't Eliza and William doing the cutesy thing together.

See. In my vision of the show -- that's how I picture Eliza and William being --solving cases together/working together/ living together.

Sigh.

I did like that things came full circle. Eliza is back in her old office with a new sign.

Without William it's like the show is lacking something. 

I work at a library that carries a lot of TV shows on DVD. The old shows are usually several discs, some 5 or 6. A lot of the newer shows that are on PBS or streaming are one or two discs. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

So what's really up with the actor who plays William? Didn't they have him to a contract and he took other work? I am fine with Nash being the love interest but it is confusing because William is in the title of the show.

Maybe the uncertainty over the actor status is the reason the show is not renewed?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Daff said:

I didn't necessarily mean a financial deal (though as @chaifan pointed out, the business seems to have miraculous improved in the month to six weeks since Nash returned), but you'd think it would behoove Nash to keep the business running, too. Could he not make her a partner/ temporarily cede his business to her/ do something, legally speaking, to keep the Nash and Sons office running even though he can't head it? It just seemed weird/ a plot contrivance to let all that go when they were finally successful. (And I get that Nash was successful before Eliza and presumably figures he can be again after his legal troubles are over, but considering their newfound friendship, you'd think he'd want to help her out.)

• Like 5

I missed William and I really hope that we do a time skip to when he's back from New York, I need some actual resolution between him and Eliza! Especially without any word of a renewal! Even without him though, it was a good finale and I am glad that Eliza has her own agency again. She has even managed to pick up some leadership skills and manage to work on her people skills. 

Fitz really isn't ready to take over for William quite yet, he's a good detective but still very green, with more experience I can very much see him being a good leader. Phelps is a dick but he does seem to be pretty good at his job and he even managed to be grateful to Fitz, even if it was just for a second. 

I hope that Nash beats the charges, its a bit questionable considering he had just been planning to murder the guy but it was obviously i defense of Eliza when he actually pulled the trigger. I personally get more of a friend vibe between him and Eliza, I like their chemistry and dynamic but it feels platonic.  

I know that short seasons are typical for British shows, but we could have really used an extra few episodes. 

Hopefully we can get a renewal soon, I need to finally see William and Eliza stop with all of the Victorian hand wringing and get on with things. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Is it sad that Clarence was my favorite character this season? I hope he comes back.

I hope he comes back too!

23 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I assume next season (if there is one) will pick up after a time jump, and William will be back from New York and Nash will be out of jail...

I hope this is where the next season picks up too.

21 hours ago, tessabq said:

And, hopefully, it will be safe for Moses to return from Paris.

Yes! I miss him.

12 hours ago, Daff said:

I really liked the “truce” (sort of) that Fitz and Phelps landed on. Phelps will still wind up Fitz, but I think he has a bit of respect for him now, and maybe realizes Fitz really does want to achieve on merit, not Daddy’s influence and connections. Phelps climbed a couple notches in my book when he thanked Fitz- never expected him to.

I hope Phelps continues to soften over the course of the series. He seems to be getting along slightly better with Fitz a bit more with each passing season so I hope that continues.

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I personally get more of a friend vibe between him and Eliza, I like their chemistry and dynamic but it feels platonic.  

I know that short seasons are typical for British shows, but we could have really used an extra few episodes.

Same. I get platonic friend vibes too.

I want to know how well a show has to do to earn that extra Christmas episode each season. Downton was obviously massive, call the midwife is pretty big...I think. All Creatures seems fairly popular. Is it mainly bc of the ratings/popularity? Or Bc they're under Masterpiece Theatre rather than Masterpiece Mystery? Why don't the detective shows get an extra holiday episode :(

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Like 6
1 minute ago, HoodlumSheep said:

I want to know how well a show has to do to earn that extra Christmas episode each season. Downton was obviously massive, call the midwife is pretty big...I think. All Creatures seems fairly popular. Is it mainly bc of the ratings/popularity? Or Bc they're under Masterpiece Theatre rather than Masterpiece Mystery? Why don't the detective shows get an extra holiday episode :(

I think it's decided by the British networks, as the Christmas specials are a big thing there in terms of holiday viewing. Probably based on ratings/ popularity. I know Grantchester had a Christmas special once, but never again. The only British mystery that I can think of that seems to have a regular Christmas special is Death in Paradise?

With Miss Scarlet, it seems to be a mainly PBS-led production these past few seasons (I think seasons 3 and 4 aired on PBS first... the network it airs on in the UK, Alibi, doesn't seem to be a major network), and I doubt PBS cares about Christmas specials, especially since their schedule doesn't align to actually show the special on Christmas.  

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I think it's decided by the British networks, as the Christmas specials are a big thing there in terms of holiday viewing. Probably based on ratings/ popularity. I know Grantchester had a Christmas special once, but never again. The only British mystery that I can think of that seems to have a regular Christmas special is Death in Paradise?

Dang. I had completely forgotten about that grantchester Christmas special. way back in season 2. And ofc it heavily involved Amanda so no wonder I completely erased it from my mind.

Silly me keeps forgetting about the shows originally airing on multiple British networks first. Also which shows are by the British networks or pbs productions.
A sign I need to go to sleep lol.

They should give the mystery shows more Christmas specials! Who do I have to write/call to make that happen? Lol. Who wouldn't want a good ol' fashioned holiday themed murder mystery? Especially an ol' timey one like it'd be in Miss Scarlet? pbs can spare one of their fundraising timeslots! Or one of the timeslots they fill with a repeat musical performance!

19 hours ago, chaifan said:

That was 2 episodes ago.  By this episode, the office was thriving, with enough work and money coming in to offer the other detectives "overtime".  (Not sure if that was a thing back then, or at least the way we understand it.)  The accountant didn't like it, but he admitted they had the money to do it.

Money in Nash’s business account. Nash no longer has a license to operate that business, Scarlet was an employee, not a partner. Hence, Eliza is left high and dry. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

Sigh. This season was not my favorite. No Moses, barely any Duke - what is going on? Eliza right back where she started. I really liked the idea of her running a truly successful business with Nash. Now it's right back to the beginning again, except no Duke. Lather, rinse, repeat.  I really need this show to move forward with Eliza and Duke or her career or I'm kind of done.

Edited by Ilovepie
  • Like 7
(edited)

This show had better get a renewal for Season 5 because they left things unresolved.  I kept expecting William to come back midway through the episode, saying things didn't work out in New York, and then he and Eliza would run Nash's agency together.  Not sure what is going on with Stuart Martin.  The seasons are only SIX EPISODES LONG.  Does he actually have other work that is preventing him from filming three additional episodes, or was this just storyline driven?

I like both William and Nash.  I hope Nash stays on the show.  The actor and character are likeable and he works well with Eliza.  Not sure why they had to send Nash to prison (at least for now) just to give Eliza the impetus to go back on her own.  What happens to all of the new staff that they had hired?  What happens to Clarence? 

Why couldn't Nash have made Eliza a partner and she continues to run the agency as Nash & Scarlet (or Scarlet & Nash)?  Yes there would be bad publicity because of his kidnapping charge, but this guy killed his brother, killed a witness, and would have killed Eliza and the other woman given the chance.

I get why Oliver didn't want the Inspector job but why would they have to give it to Phelps?  

I did miss Moses.  And his sister (?) Clementine.  They were great.  I wonder why they were dropped this season.

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Yes there would be bad publicity because of his kidnapping charge, but this guy killed his brother, killed a witness, and would have killed Eliza and the other woman given the chance.

I wonder how Victorian England would react to that information, given the circumstances.  Certainly the upper classes would turn up their noses (perhaps not as far in private), but the hoi polloi might just as well say "Good on ya, mate.  He deserved it."

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I wonder why they were dropped this season.

Ansu Kubia has been busy with other work including movies and TV series. 

You cannot expect actors to wait around a) to find out if a series has been renewed b) and if so if it will fit into their current schedule and c) for only six episodes.

Not sure when filming finished for this season but they have not yet announced another season. That is weeks, maybe months, with no income. Actors have to eat!

• Like 2
18 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

And ofc it heavily involved Amanda so no wonder I completely erased it from my mind.

LOL. Glad to know someone else disliked that character!!

• Like 6
11 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I miss William.  It's Miss Scarlett and The Duke, and the last two episodes were decidedly Duke-less.

I miss him too but I have enjoyed Nash. 

• Like 5

This show used to be 'must see tv'.  This season seemed to be a bit of a snore until the last few epis.

I was really confused that Eliza was mad at the Duke.  Hell he told her he was leaving because he loved her.  She didn't respond.

It was weird that she and Nash didn't form the partnership, let her run the business while he is in jail and then they can proceed.

It feels as if the showrunners and the writers didn't quite know what to do this season.  Sort of like they were caught by surprise when there was a 4th season....

I have really enjoyed the show in the past, but this season felt disjointed.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

• Like 2