Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E13: #HellishHangover

• Start Topic

After a wild night, it is back to the kitchen, where the chefs learn that influence can make or break their future when they prepare to impress Chef Ramsey's 100 million social media followers in the presentation challenge. During dinner service, the chefs attempt to impress guests with renowned influence including, actors Kate Flannery, Mary Lynn Rajskub, singer Gavin Rossdale and RuPaul's Drag Race winner Bob the Drag Queen. After many mistakes on each station, Gordon makes a shocking decision.

Airdate: 01/11/2024

Leigh getting nominated over Johnathan was such BS.  It seemed like he didn’t do anything right during service.

Then Dahmir also gets eliminated?  Both of these eliminations sucked.

• Like 7

I hugged Gavin Rossdale last February.  Best night of my life.

Now with the nicety over - fuck you Gordon, that was some bullshit right there.  You kept Johnathan’s whiny baby ass over Dahmere?  Who was wonderful and you called him a leader like two weeks ago?  I no longer give a shit about any of these people.  Guess I’ll root for Ryan I suppose.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

You kept Johnathan’s whiny baby ass over Dahmere?

Im starting to think the fix is in for Johnathan.  He failed miserably on apps and he gets a pass?  I wasn’t really rooting against anyone but now I’m actively rooting against him which means I’m going to probably be very disappointed with the finale.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

fuck you Gordon, that was some bullshit right there.  You kept Johnathan’s whiny baby ass over Dahmere?  Who was wonderful and you called him a leader like two weeks ago?  I no longer give a shit about any of these people.  Guess I’ll root for Ryan I suppose.

Totally agree. Dahmere stepped up as a leader all these weeks. He was praised by Gordon for his cooking. I picked him to win for his poise, confidence, food, and leadership qualities. Then on tonight's episode when he kept telling Carmen he needed a couple more minutes to cook, she ignored him. 

So Gordon kicked him out? Makes absolutely no sense. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Whiney Jonathan should have gone home. How many times did he say or refer to "you look like a hot sack of shit?"  Suck it up and stop acting like a pussy. You got a very undeserved reprieve.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Spicysweet said:

Totally agree. Dahmere stepped up as a leader all these weeks. He was praised by Gordon for his cooking. I picked him to win for his poise, confidence, food, and leadership qualities. Then on tonight's episode when he kept telling Carmen he needed a couple more minutes to cook, she ignored him. 

So Gordon kicked him out? Makes absolutely no sense. 

I had also thought Dahmere would win the entire competition due to his strong leadership and cooking skills.  I think he was rattled by Carmen constantly ignoring him and was rushing to try to keep up with her since she was sending food to the pass before he was ready.  There were other chefs who were much weaker than him overall, so it felt like a very unfair elimination.  

• Like 6

We finally get rid of Jason, and suddenly the edit positions Johnathan as the resident dickhead. Not sure we needed a villain at this stage, but whatever.

Dahmere will go down as one of the bullshittiest eliminations in the show's history, but I suppose this clears the path for Ryan, who best fits the whole American Dream narrative they've been pushing anyway.

• Like 4

Count me in on those who think Jonathan should have been eliminated.  Dahmere kept saying, "I need more time" but was totally ignored.  And the woman calling time later complained that no one had spoken up to protest times.  

Jonathan is the new designated villain, and will come in second.  

• Like 5

I thought that Carmen and Johnathon should have been eliminated instead of Leigh and Dahmere.  Carmen ignored the needs of other team members (Dahmere and the fish station) which is not how a leader acts.  While leading, a leader also listens to the needs of the others.  And Johnathon just couldn't get over his hurt feelings (has he never watched a Gordon Ramsey show before?).  I think Johnathon is as arrogant as Jason was so he couldn't take any kind of insult/observation.  

Although Leigh is talented, I think she is too young and inexperienced to win so her demise was not totally unexpected (except that I was surprised that she left before Carmen).

Could there be a surprise twist and Dahmere return?  If he was making huge mistakes along the way, the editing should have shown that.  Instead, he got the edit of the potential winner without real explanation for his rapid fall.  I wish he had pointed out that he kept trying to tell Carmen that he needed more time but she wouldn't acknowledge/listen.

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I wish he had pointed out that he kept trying to tell Carmen that he needed more time but she wouldn't acknowledge/listen.

This is what was irritating.  Carmen and her "meat runs the line" or whatever she said.  A ticket comes in and the fish takes seven minutes but Carmen just screams to have it ready in six.  She couldn't have waited a minute to drop her meat?

• Like 4

Agree with what others have said.  Those elims made no sense.  Johnathan should have gone along with Carmen.

I guess Ryan for the win?  Though none of the remaining chefs is all that appealing.

• Like 2

Did Dahmere’s elimination seem planned?  They specifically showed Carmen ignoring his responses when she barked out a time frame that didn’t match his needs.

I’m wondering if Dahmere and Leigh were given something. Neither looked that devastated at being eliminated. Or is one or both coming back?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 1/11/2024 at 8:03 PM, mojoween said:

fuck you Gordon, that was some bullshit right there.  You kept Johnathan’s whiny baby ass over Dahmere?

I finally watched this episode. I was pissed off about several things in the show. Awarding points based on an unspecified number of unknown people looking at one picture of the competing dishes (which none of them smelled or tasted and we don't even know how many of them actually looked at the pictures) is total non sense, just another gimmick so we can all admire GR with his hep and with-it and up to date internet fame and skill. Then I was pissed when Carmen in a talking head segment dumped on Dahmere for not telling her that he needed more time for his fish, he needs to just tell her. Well Carmen, he did exactly that, he clearly and plainly told her the fish needed more time at least twice and she ignored it. I don't know if she was being bitchy or lacks self awareness, either way it sucked. Jonathan just about had a breakdown as he was having Daddy Issues with Gordon being mean to him, that by itself was reason to dump him, he will never be able to run a high end, high stress kitchen. Leigh I didn't care about but Dahmere has consistently shown actual leadership, more so than any of the others and that should have been a major factor. As always, YMMV.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, Ellee said:

Did Dahmere’s elimination seem planned?  They specifically showed Carmen ignoring his responses when she barked out a time frame that didn’t match his needs.

I’m wondering if Dahmere and Leigh were given something. Neither looked that devastated at being eliminated. Or is one or both coming back?

This is based on absolutely nothing, but it almost felt like Gordon is going to hire Dahmere for something (not the position at stake in the show, but something).  Again, based on nothing but it would make sense to me.

• Like 6

I've been team Ryan all the way, but even I thought Dahmere's elimination was bogus and Jonathan should have been the one to go home.  I also generally liked him until now.  He's showing himself to be a special snowflake that can't take the heat in the kitchen.  OK, Ramsay can be callous and harsh but it's not all rainbows and unicorns in the real world, especially the culinary world, and I can't believe he has survived with such a thin skin.  I guess he never got called names when he was young and got participation trophies and all that.  I wish I had a dollar for every time I was called a sack of shit or worse by authority figures by the time I was his age.  Buck up, buttercup!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I had said in a previous thread that this season seemed like it was Dahmere's to lose and...well in my opinion, he lost it. I like him as a chef and a person a great deal. But as part of his great character even he admitted he deserved to go up for elimination. Whether Carmen screwed him over by ignoring him or calling out unrealistic times, it's still on him to not serve food that's RAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWRR, burnt, or otherwise problematic. And he didn't live up to that. It sucks that various chefs sucked way more and got multiple chances to bounce back, and he just got the one. But that is the nature of the game.

I do think there's a decent chance that Ramsay will find a place for Dahmere somewhere. As much as I like him, I do hope that they don't do a surprise twist where they bring back an eliminated chef to have a shot at winning the big prize. I think it just undermines the game too much to do that.

To me, Leigh's elimination seems more BS. Maybe I'm half-blind but was the way she cut the Wellington really that disastrous? Did she really do anything else wrong other than have less experience?

If you're familiar with Stanley Kubrick's movies, you may remember shots in pics like The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange where Kubrick films a character a certain way to emphasize that he's gone over the edge 

ETA: turns out that TV Tropes has a page on it:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KubrickStare

Well, there was at least one time where it seemed like they filmed Jonathan like that. If that was deliberate, bravo. If I'm just imagining it, that's on me. But he seemed very psycho.

Ryan had said at least once before this episode he considered Jonathan his biggest competition. I don't think Sammi or Carmen are good enough to disprove that statement.

Maybe I missed it before, but now that Carmen is in the black jacket range, they seemingly are emphasizing her Latin roots. I wonder if this means that she makes it to the finals somehow, though I hate to be all diversity-conspiracy-theoryish.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Like 3
26 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Maybe I'm half-blind but was the way she cut the Wellington really that disastrous? Did she really do anything else wrong other than have less experience?

Yeah, I agree.  She cut it into 4 pieces and spread them out, Gordon's was cut but all lined up.  i mean, you make 4 cuts how much can you screw up, or how hard is it for the person at the pass to line them up?  Totally made no sense.  Especially when Jonathon can't make french fries, or brought up spinach when there was no lamb entree. Sheesh.

• Like 1

I've eaten at a couple of GR's restaurants in Vegas, and ordered the Wellington at two of them.  For what you're paying for that meal, it HAS to look perfect.  I would not have liked it if it were served the unprofessional way Leigh cut it.  JMO.

They often say on these cooking shows/competitions, "You eat with your eyes."  

• Like 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

For what you're paying for that meal, it HAS to look perfect.  I would not have liked it if it were served the unprofessional way Leigh cut it. 

But to me it was also about the situation that they're in.  Leigh's being yelled at 'where's the wellington' so she cuts it fast in order to get it to the pass.  Then when Ramsay's showing them how to do it, he takes his sweet time to get it right.  If he expects perfection from them, then allow the extra minute to make it perfect.  

I had Dahmere as winning this thing, so to have him go out in 5th is cuckoo bananas to me.  Ryan now needs to be in the final two and win otherwise I will feel like i've wasted my time with this season.  

Edited by perkie1968
  • Like 4
On 1/13/2024 at 8:57 AM, seacliffsal said:

This is based on absolutely nothing, but it almost felt like Gordon is going to hire Dahmere for something (not the position at stake in the show, but something).  Again, based on nothing but it would make sense to me.

I really hope so because I am with everyone else that him being eliminated was Bullshit.  I don't recall one time he was on the hot seat for messing up like Jonathan did.  Ramsey said to Dahmere that he was not ready to be his head chef..........what?  Out of the people left he has most if not all the qualities that Gordon wants in a head Chef.  How is Jonthan more qualified??

• Like 3
On 1/11/2024 at 8:03 PM, mojoween said:

I hugged Gavin Rossdale last February.  Best night of my life.

Now with the nicety over - fuck you Gordon, that was some bullshit right there.  You kept Johnathan’s whiny baby ass over Dahmere?  Who was wonderful and you called him a leader like two weeks ago?  I no longer give a shit about any of these people.  Guess I’ll root for Ryan I suppose.

I think I'm donevm watching this shit show....johnathans a little cry baby bitch!!

I was rooting for Dahmere! Bull crap

• Like 1
7 hours ago, gaPeach said:

I really hope so because I am with everyone else that him being eliminated was Bullshit.  I don't recall one time he was on the hot seat for messing up like Jonathan did.  Ramsey said to Dahmere that he was not ready to be his head chef..........what?  Out of the people left he has most if not all the qualities that Gordon wants in a head Chef.  How is Jonthan more qualified??

I agree completely.  Do the editing monkeys know how this is looking to the audience?  Over the years there have been head scratching eliminations on this show, but this one is especially so.   It's making me wonder what they left out of the finished product to make any of this make sense.  They should at least understand that this has to look somewhat plausible to the audience or they're just going to piss off viewers.  

• Like 4

Watched it last night. A couple of thoughts:

1) I wonder if they're going to have another All-Stars season soon and Dahmere was already told he'll be on it and X, Y, and Z are what he needs to improve. As others have pointed out, he didn't seem upset to be eliminated.

2) I wonder if the eliminations were set up as specific "F off, you arrogant jackass" to Jason: He's the only one of the final seven who doesn't get a black jacket, only for the "extra" person who did win a black jacket to immediately go home after the next service. IIRC, only black jacket winners are eligible to appear on future seasons (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

3) I remember a situation similar to Jonathan's way back in the early seasons: There was a contestant named Robert who Ramsay kept sarcastically calling "Bobby" during service. Finally, Robert went to Ramsay and asked GR not to call him Bobby anymore. When GR said "It's only banter," Robert explained that his abusive stepfather had called him "Bobby" whenever he beat him as a child. A horrified Ramsay apologized and never used that nickname with him again. My point is that Ramsay uses a lot of rough language to get their attention and make his point, and sometimes it can go a little too far. He did seem genuinely apologetic and even told Jonathan "It's never personal."

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Watched it last night. A couple of thoughts:

1) I wonder if they're going to have another All-Stars season soon and Dahmere was already told he'll be on it and X, Y, and Z are what he needs to improve. As others have pointed out, he didn't seem upset to be eliminated.

2) I wonder if the eliminations were set up as specific "F off, you arrogant jackass" to Jason: He's the only one of the final seven who doesn't get a black jacket, only for the "extra" person who did win a black jacket to immediately go home after the next service. IIRC, only black jacket winners are eligible to appear on future seasons (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

3) I remember a situation similar to Jonathan's way back in the early seasons: There was a contestant named Robert who Ramsay kept sarcastically calling "Bobby" during service. Finally, Robert went to Ramsay and asked GR not to call him Bobby anymore. When GR said "It's only banter," Robert explained that his abusive stepfather had called him "Bobby" whenever he beat him as a child. A horrified Ramsay apologized and never used that nickname with him again. My point is that Ramsay uses a lot of rough language to get their attention and make his point, and sometimes it can go a little too far. He did seem genuinely apologetic and even told Jonathan "It's never personal."

• Like 2