Type keyword(s) to search

Kate Plus 8 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The twins got lots of the brand name clothes and jewelry they insisted on when in their teens. Plus the their two really expensive colleges sure were not comped. Never saw the sextuplets get anything in comparison, and I am sure the college money has long been spent on the older two. They hated the tups, and yet they were the source of all their income. Seems like they were too dumb to realize that ever?

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

They hated the tups, and yet they were the source of all their income. Seems like they were too dumb to realize that ever?

The twins probably had to do a lot of helping out with the tups. I could see that creating resentment. 

I don’t know that there is no college money, and at least two of the younger kids got new cars for their birthday. They were plenty spoiled with opportunities when the show was running—but at a high cost. 

• Love 2
On 1/16/2022 at 12:36 PM, overtherainbow said:

Not that it really makes a difference, but Mady is only 25% Korean, not 50%. Jon is 50. But maybe now that she's more in touch with the Korean part of her heritage she'll want to connect with that side of her family as well. 

It was Mady who insisted with pride, at the Korean dinner Jon cooked for them, "I'm the most Asianist!"

I also thought they got the Asian AG dolls, but it's been a while since I've seen that episode!  If not, she was choosing the one who looked like her mother.

I seem to recall Jon being only 25% himself, but I may be thinking of another Korean-derived family I know.  Re: looks, Asian genes are definitely dominant.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 1
On 1/16/2022 at 2:13 PM, Adiba said:

"… she had blonde hair and blue eyes, by my choice …  at 5, I chose a doll that reflected the way I thought I was suppose to look instead of the way I do."

That is the freaking saddest thing I have heard in a long while.   That poor thing.   Why does a 5 year old think she is supposed to "look" a certain way?   that comes from the parents -- looking at you Kate.   

• Like 1
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

That is the freaking saddest thing I have heard in a long while.   That poor thing.   Why does a 5 year old think she is supposed to "look" a certain way?   that comes from the parents -- looking at you Kate.   

Lord knows Kate has a lot to answer for, but I hesitate to lay this one at her feet. I don't question Mady's sincerity in making these statements, but these are the thoughts of a young woman projecting her current feelings back onto her 5 year old self, and I wonder how accurately they reflect what her 5 year old self was really thinking. Obviously everything on the show was filtered, but was there ever any evidence that Kate was pushing any of the kids to look or act blonde/blue?  I seem to recall an episode where they were eating a Korean meal (maybe even prepared by Jon), so it's not like Kate was completely suppressing that part of her kids' heritage. As someone pointed out, Kate herself is blonde, so little Mady might have been drawn to a blonde doll for that reason.

I mean I'm gagging a bit at defending Kate even a little, but I'm not sure this one is on her.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:34 AM, tracyscott76 said:

Lord knows Kate has a lot to answer for, but I hesitate to lay this one at her feet. I don't question Mady's sincerity in making these statements, but these are the thoughts of a young woman projecting her current feelings back onto her 5 year old self, and I wonder how accurately they reflect what her 5 year old self was really thinking. Obviously everything on the show was filtered, but was there ever any evidence that Kate was pushing any of the kids to look or act blonde/blue?  I seem to recall an episode where they were eating a Korean meal (maybe even prepared by Jon), so it's not like Kate was completely suppressing that part of her kids' heritage. As someone pointed out, Kate herself is blonde, so little Mady might have been drawn to a blonde doll for that reason.

I mean I'm gagging a bit at defending Kate even a little, but I'm not sure this one is on her.

I agree.  I watched all the episodes back in the day, and there was no coercion on Kate's part to choose a particular doll.  Kate was never shy about making her opinions known, on or off camera, so I vote that didn't happen.  But oh boy; here comes the tell-all book from Mady!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

I agree.  I watched all the episodes back in the day, and there was no coercion on Kate's part to choose a particular doll.  Kate was never shy about making her opinions known, on or off camera, so I vote that didn't happen.  But oh boy; here comes the tell-all book from Mady!

Maddy has always had a tendency to be moody, conniving and hateful.  Out of all the kids, she’s the most like Kate, mood and personality-wise.  From what I’ve seen on SM, Kate and Maddy are rather tight, and I wonder if it’s because Kate knows exactly what Maddy is capable of (a tell-all or worse) if Kate pisses her off.

• Love 4

The article was simply based on an Instagram post. This is done so often with “famous” people.

7ED0DCF6-E9D3-4A72-AF3A-38A4DCC9DCD8.jpeg

9B499945-6562-4E37-ABA6-22CE33E57A3F.jpeg

9 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

From what I’ve seen on SM, Kate and Maddy are rather tight,

Whose social media?

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

WTH is she talking about? That doll has dark hair and brown eyes.

That's not the doll in question, as she mentions the picture was taken the morning before her trip to the AG store. But still a really confusing picture to post with that caption, as I had the same thought as you at first. I guess she couldn't find a photo of her with the actual doll? She would have been better off posting a doll-less photo, then.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Whose social media?

I don't think Kate posts on SM anymore. I've seen recent(the last few years) videos of Mady and Kate on SM. I always thought Mady stayed close to her because she had money even though I don't know how much money K has left. There's just so much dysfunction in Mady's parental relationships somebody could write a book on it.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

That's not the doll in question, as she mentions the picture was taken the morning before her trip to the AG store. But still a really confusing picture to post with that caption, as I had the same thought as you at first. I guess she couldn't find a photo of her with the actual doll? She would have been better off posting a doll-less photo, then.

My guess is the second the film was shot of the trip to the doll store, that the dolls were locked away as collectibles for Kate.     I bet the little girls never even had a chance to play with them, to keep their value. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 1/23/2022 at 6:34 AM, ginger90 said:

The article was simply based on an Instagram post. This is done so often with “famous” people.

7ED0DCF6-E9D3-4A72-AF3A-38A4DCC9DCD8.jpeg

9B499945-6562-4E37-ABA6-22CE33E57A3F.jpeg

Whose social media?

Maddy’s IG.  She posted pics of she and Kate dining out together, just the two of them.

• Useful 2
On 1/24/2022 at 7:16 AM, farmgal4 said:

Maddy’s IG.  She posted pics of she and Kate dining out together, just the two of them.

As I said, I seem to remember them getting dolls that looked like them -- and not Kate -- in the actual episode.  I *might* still have it on an old VHS tape in the basement, but I'm not going to go on a scavenger hunt.  TLC should replay them; they'd be far more entertaining that what they show today!

Maddy was always the dramatic one; maybe she embellishes the truth...

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, if anything, Kate embraced the fact that her kids were of Korean heritage. She may be a lot of things, but she didn't try to squish that fact. She actually seemed to favor the kids who looked the most Asian (Poor Alexis, who was the 'tup that they claimed had the lightest hair and skin and took after Kate more).

Here's something heinous on that subject. I work at a major university and one day, I got a call from a parent. It was summer and incoming students were getting a lot of mailings from the University (back when they were paper and flooding their mailboxes). Her daughter was getting correspondence from the Asian student groups about joining them once she got on campus. Now, to get these things, her daughter would have had to declare this ethnicity on her college applications. Her mother called and demanded that she be removed from these mailing lists. Why? Because she was an Asian child adopted by a white family as an infant, so she was "raised white." I was horrified. Regardless of how you raised her, lady, she still has a distinct heritage that she can be proud of and should embrace. It doesn't make her any less of a daughter to you. I sooooo wanted to say that to her. But I kept my lip zipped. And obviously, the girl must have thought so, too.  She put "Asian-Pacific Islander" down on her college applications! Good lord. That poor girl to have a mother like that.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
On 5/2/2022 at 4:14 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

Yeah, if anything, Kate embraced the fact that her kids were of Korean heritage. She may be a lot of things, but she didn't try to squish that fact. She actually seemed to favor the kids who looked the most Asian (Poor Alexis, who was the 'tup that they claimed had the lightest hair and skin and took after Kate more).

She only embraced their Korean-ness in the physical sense because it made the tups different from all the other sextuplets and multiples out there. The other children Kate felt her kids were in competition with for a piece of the tup pie. That's why she bemoaned Alexis looking White (in her opinion). 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Today's the big 18 for the little ones. 

From Yahoo:

Although Kate and the rest of the family haven't posted on social media in honor of the big day just yet, Hannah revealed to InTouch Weekly that she recently had a "dream" birthday bash in Miami.

"My dad got me a fancy Rolls Royce for the evening," Hannah told the outlet, adding that she "felt really special." She also noted that the only people missing from the celebration were her siblings, who were not in attendance. "I wish they could have been with me so we could all celebrate turning 18 together," she said. "I know they would be really proud of me."

So sad they weren't together for their 18th.  (Seems like Colin would have been with her, but he may have already joined the military as he planned to do.)

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 4

So sad they weren't together for their 18th.  (Seems like Colin would have been with her, but he may have already joined the military as he planned to do.)

Collin seems to have disappeared again. Wouldn't he wait to join the military until after he graduates high school? Something tells me that Collin is still very troubled, and that it's more than Jon lets on. 

And I don't think anyone remembers Hannah as an "instigator of fun". Mostly she was just Kate's favorite kid, which is ironic now. Alexis always seemed to be the happy one. And Aiden. 

• Love 7

Just saw Hannah on People site on turning 18.  It’s difficult to believe how many years have gone by.  I watched all the early seasons of the show.  

What is Kate doing now for income?  Does she still live in the big house she bought in the country?  

13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Just saw Hannah on People site on turning 18.  It’s difficult to believe how many years have gone by.  I watched all the early seasons of the show.  

What is Kate doing now for income?  Does she still live in the big house she bought in the country?  

The house in Pennsylvania? It was sold. Apparently she’s now in North Carolina, and is working as a nurse.

37 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

The house in Pennsylvania? It was sold. Apparently she’s now in North Carolina, and is working as a nurse.

Oh, ok.  I wonder if she’s near my city. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill areas are loaded with medical employment opportunities, due to Duke, UNC, Wake Med, etc,  Ill keep my eyes peeled for her. Lol. Lots of colleges around here too.  

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

She sold that place, after months on the market, and I'm guessing didn't make a penny on it.  She lives in NC now, and got her nursing license back. 

I really wonder if the military will take Colin with his history of issues, they usually won't.  I'm not sure he can take the pressure of boot camp, advanced training, and military service. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Kellyee said:

Collin seems to have disappeared again. Wouldn't he wait to join the military until after he graduates high school? Something tells me that Collin is still very troubled, and that it's more than Jon lets on. 

And I don't think anyone remembers Hannah as an "instigator of fun". Mostly she was just Kate's favorite kid, which is ironic now. Alexis always seemed to be the happy one. And Aiden. 

Alexis was my favorite because she was a free spirit.  Cara is probably the one who I most relate to (even though I'm twice her age), because we were into our studies, sporty and we keep our emotions bottled up.

43 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, ok.  I wonder if she’s near my city. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill areas are loaded with medical employment opportunities, due to Duke, UNC, Wake Med, etc,  Ill keep my eyes peeled for her. Lol. Lots of colleges around here too.  

She’s around 2 hours away. 😁

I remember when they lived in the house before the big house, in Lancaster County PA. My family was in Lancaster County, too, and we knew J&K were "local" but thought they were way on the other side of the county. Turns out we drove past their street and their house was in sight every time we went to the doctor's office or to get on the main highway.

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If you look on the previous page (January 2022), you'll find my post of a Daily Mail article about Kate and her new life.  There are a few current photos.

• Useful 1

So sad that the parents' issues with each other are so severe that the kids can't be together on what is a big milestone birthday for them.   Divorced parents don't have to like each other, but they need to put that aside for the kids' sakes.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, Kellyee said:

And I don't think anyone remembers Hannah as an "instigator of fun". Mostly she was just Kate's favorite kid, which is ironic now. 

Also ironic that Hannah has never looked more like Kate than she does in that ad. And that this is the exactly the kind of “career” Kate used to want for her daughters in general and Hannah in particular.

I almost felt sorry for Hannah trying to define herself for the ad, because a more honest description of her role in the show would have been “I wasn’t the good twin or the evil twin or the daredevil who loved alligators or the tiny one who spoke super-clearly for the cameras as a toddler… I was the other one.” Or of course she could drag out that humiliating clip of Leah chirping “Hannah pooped in Hannah’s unnawears.” 

Yeah, I always remembered Hannah as the more quiet, maternal 'tup with great hair. 

Ironic that it's Jon who is letting his daughter turn into a "social media influencer," and pimping her out to the rags. The kids living with Kate are kept rather quiet and private

Jon is such a pimp. He skeeves me. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Ironic that it's Jon who is letting his daughter turn into a "social media influencer," and pimping her out to the rags.  

There's not much he can do to stop her.  She's 18 now.  I know the business opportunity obviously came up before she turned 18, but even if Jon wanted her to bypass it then, she would have just waited until she was 18 to accept the offer. 

I don't think it's a bad thing since she's 18 and she still intends to go to college.  Maybe she'll major in marketing and make a fortune.

• Love 7