Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E01 Premiere

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I thought she was less manic than Erin used to be. BTW, how many skybox interviewers have we had by now? First was Samantha, then Brooke, then Erin right? Am I forgetting anyone?

Lisa Canning in that first season as well. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Arkay said:

I stopped watching with the pollution that was Tyra.

Goodbye and good riddance.

These two hosts are much better, but I felt that Julianne was yelling at me all night. 

She’ll find her footing as a host, which could never be said about Tyra and her version of the show , which essentially was Tyra Banks modeling clothes and oh yeah, some people are also going to be dancing.

I thought Julianne was fine.  Remember hosting is not her background.  It's also good to have a dancer in that role.  

The irony is that hosting is Tyra's background.  But what a disaster. 

BTW, glad they got rid of the Judge's Save for the elimination - and just left it up to the voters.

Edited by inandout
  • Like 7

The only reason I knew that the song was supposed to be “Roxanne,” was because I watch with closed captions, and I recognized the lyrics. 

Well, Alyson Hannigan did make it clear, during her “Buffy” days, that singing and dancing are not her thing. She is correct. If I ever voted for this show, I would have voted for her any way, because she was so cute. 

Thank you, show, for getting rid of the Tyrant. Alfonso and Julianne are okay…a little too over excited, but they’ll calm down. 

I refused to watch this show on Disney+ so I was so happy to see it pop back up on my DVR. 

• Like 6
7 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Two previous Bachelorettes were cheerleaders. Melissa Rycroft, winner and Gabby Windey, second place. MR won with poor Tony so I'll excuse her from my dislike of Bachelor Nation. lol

I'm sorry for the post repeat. 

Edited by babyhouseman
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I thought she was less manic than Erin used to be. BTW, how many skybox interviewers have we had by now? First was Samantha, then Brooke, then Erin right? Am I forgetting anyone?

2 hours ago, vibeology said:

Lisa Canning in that first season as well. 

And I recall Leah Remini subbed a couple of times, I think when Erin had MNF duties.  Isn't Disney fortunate that Leah is always available at a moment's notice?

Agree that Alfonso and Julianne are a welcome improvement over Tyra and. . .anyone!  But they both were a bit too loud and energetic in their hosting last night.  AR's preshow ritual should be to sit in his dressing room and watch video of Tom hosting and then just channel that.  Both he and she were clearly a bit nervous and had the occasional flub. Unfortunately, Julianne doesn't really have a decent precursor to study and channel.  And I don't think Alfonso's "error" in prematurely putting Jason at the top of the leaderboard was his fault but rather he repeated exactly what the producers whispered in his ear.  He caught it a moment too late and tried to retreat.  I was aware that the judges submit their scores to the producers before the reveal, but it was still unfortunate to have the TV illusion bubble burst in that moment.  It would make perfect sense if Alfonso gave a ten second explanation next week as to what actually happened there.  Since it would make perfect sense, there is no chance it will happen.

I missed S31 in its entirety because I do not subscribe to D+, initially a mortal wound, because I had seen every episode (and I do mean every episode) of the US DWTS from seasons 1 through 30 up to that point.  Yet, it was kind of amazing how quickly I got better, realized I actually didn't miss it at all, and found other things to do on Monday evening.  However, I also found I missed out on all the new pro gossip during the same period.  Apparently, the news is that virtually every pro with a womb either had a baby, is having a baby, or had another baby!  And some of the pros without wombs are responsible for those babies!  One of the few exceptions to that rule seems to be Emma Slater, whose disinterest in procreating at the current time is apparently being blamed for the end of her marriage to Sasha.  That saddens me.  Not that she doesn't want a child at this time; that's her business.  I mean that their union has dissolved. I remember his romantic surprise on-air proposal so fondly, and they both seem like such awesome people and a great couple.  Really sorry to read about the breakup.

• Like 4

I was kind of broken hearted when Barry Williams said he had been trying to get on the show for 17 years! Jeez Louise, he is iconic to a lot of people, give him a spot! I'm sure he would have been more agile if he could have gotten on earlier in life, but better late than never I guess. I'm sure he'll just keep on, keep on, keep on, keep on, dancing all through the night. Keep on, keep on, keep on, doing it right. Keep on, keep on, keep on moving. Keep on, keep on, keep on grooving. Keep on singing and dancing all through the night. 😁

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4

I really enjoyed the premiere night! I liked the addition of Julianne as a host! A very much welcomed improvement to the show.

I don't think there's a huge ringer like in previous seasons and many contestants have the potential to improve throughout the season, which is really refreshing to see. However, I also feel like last night's episode highlighted glaring differences in the pros' ability to teach and choreograph to the celeb's strengths.

Best dancers of the night: Ariana, Jason, and Charity. Was really surprised by how well Jason was able to coordinate his upper & lower body! His cha cha was really fun to watch and a strong week one performance. Ariana really knew how to work the camera and had a lot of attack in her tango. I thought Charity's dance was clean and precise, I could see why she received the highest score of the night.

Weakest dancers of the night: Alyson and Harry. Tyson wasn't that great either but those two looked very lost and confused during their performances. Alyson doesn't seem to be very musical and it also looked like she forgot her steps at some point and Sasha was trying to cover up her mistakes. Harry was basically stepping and appeared to be extremely nervous and suffering from a case of stage fright.

Pleasant surprises: Barry, Mira. Hope to see both stick around for a while!

I don't think Matt and Mauricio deserved to be the bottom two. They both did more than some of the others last night! Mauricio had it rough being the only one who did the jive during week one. Sadly, I think Mauricio will be an early out as I'm not confident he has much of a fan base.

Edited by peachyleisure
  • Like 3

Whew, that was long.

Overall I liked the show. I agree with what others have said about Alfonso and Julianne needing to settle in a little bit, but I think that will happen soon. My oldest and I were laughing about how many different ways Alfonso was saying "Live"

For nostalgia purposes I like Barry, and his dance wasn't horrible so maybe he'll be around for at least a few more weeks.

Jason was a surprising treat. I really enjoyed his dance and hope he goes far. I'm afraid he might end up being a casualty of Bachelorette/Social Media/Reality show fanbases though.

Whatever happened to spoiler alerts? I can't watch until next day, and there are articles and things all over the place where the first thing you see is (insert name here) was eliminated last night 😭

• Like 1
On 9/27/2023 at 12:42 AM, Stats Queen said:

As this is only the second show I felt the desire phone/text/remote dial in to vote on (so you think you can dance in the first seasons the only other one) This voting and elimination on the same night is so messed up. I live in the East Coast but had other things going on and by the time I tried to vote, voting was closed - seriously I was 3 hours ahead of those on the West Coast who had a window for 3 minutes to vote and they had only seen 4 of the performances…

Tuesday, 9/26, was the first episode this season. Am I misunderstanding  your "second show" reference?

21 hours ago, Rickster said:

Were we the only ones who noticed Alfonso announced Jason (I think) at the top of the leaderboard before the judges revealed their votes? And amazingly, he had the right vote total?

Okay. When the judges announce their scores, that isn't the first the production team hears about it. The judges submit their scores furtively to backstage production, and they announce, as a show. I always used to notice Carrie Ann handing a piece of paper to someone behind her, just after the dance ended. 

Alfonso has an earpiece in, and got informed of the scores, so he announced Jason at the top of the leaderboard, when he should have kept it unsaid. 

The scores aren't rigged, Alfonso just jumped the gun by saying that before the judges announcement, instead of after. He knows now. 

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Tuesday, 9/26, was the first episode this season. Am I misunderstanding  your "second show" reference?

I believe the OP was saying that this is only the second show that they watch where they felt the urge to vote (the other one being SYTYCD).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm one of maybe 12 people who watched Too Hot To Handle, which is the show Harry Jowsey was on.

He's so pretty, but no way would he get my vote. I was cringing the entire time he was dancing. He looked like he was about to shit ice blocks during the "dance", and then when it was over, he looked like he was on the verge of barfing. I don't see him getting any better.

I figured Charity and Mira were going to be good. Jason Mraz was a huge surprise for me. I wanted Alyson to be a lot better than she was. I'm hoping it was just first-night nerves and she'll get better.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

What a relief that Tyra is gone! Julianne was a little extra, but I like that both represent the Stars and the Pros. Total upgrade!

My favorite was Jason. I don't know half of these people, but that's not abnormal with this show. Overall, nobody stood out as a ringer, which is good - I am glad there's nobody like Charlie this time. I am kind of over the Bachelorettes even though I liked Gabby, but she was different because she gave off kooky vibes instead of just pretty pretty princess.

Neither bottom two deserved to be there. The football player, Tyson, Alyson and the good looking reality guy were all worse IMO. I wish they hadn't eliminated anyone on night one - it seems so mean.

I enjoyed seeing the prior contestants in the audience - hi there Daniel and Joseph!

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I don't know half of these people, but that's not abnormal with this show.

I haven't watched yet, but I just looked at the list and there are 9 names that I recognize (I wouldn't have been able to actually tell you what Lele Pons is famous for, but I have heard the name). I don't watch the Bachelor or Housewives so I never know those people. Glad the show is back on regular TV (I don't have Disney+ so I couldn't watch), and also glad Tyra is gone. Julianne sometimes bugs me but in comparison I can't imagine she won't be a million times better.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
On 9/26/2023 at 11:32 PM, Ancaster said:

Seriously, how stupid is that?

Voting is open at the beginning of the show and Alfonso announced to "vote for your favorite". That goes against voting for the best dancer. This has been the controversy since the inception of this show.

I did not watch the show the seasons Tyra was hosting so I'm back now that she is gone. So glad Tyra is out.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Jason Mraz was groovin'!

Only dance I'm gonna rewatch. 

Alfonso was very good and I know in time he's going to be perfect for this. 

Julianne was as expected (beautiful and delivering a dancer's entrance) but thank goodness she is scripted and won't be competing with Carrie-Ann (and Tyra, ever again) for shrillest ditz.

• Like 2

I was finally able to watch my recording of week one and took pen-and-paper notes of how much time of the two-and-a-half hours was spent on commercials, down to the second. 

Amount of time spent on commercials = forty-six minutes and two seconds. (46.02)

• Mind Blown 3
On 9/27/2023 at 12:11 PM, DEL901 said:

Apparently the judges submit their scores BEFOFE they hold up the paddles.  Maybe someone in the control room passed the leader info to Alfonso before they were supposed to?

They do. That's to prevent any last second changes by the judges, which was a "to do" several years ago, IIRC. 

• Useful 3