Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 - Episodes 1 through 11 Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

I'm confused. Did Sir say something about keeping Gabi from saying goodbye to her dad? Her dad hasn't been dead long, so she wasn't being held by Sir at that time. Maybe I missed heard..

What I took away/ was that Kidnapped Gabi was desperate to get to back to her father because she though that he wouldn't be able to take care of himself like know to wear gloves in the cold or get snow tires on his car, while Sir kept telling her that her father didn't deserve her and that he, Sir, was her real father.

While Gabi was kidnapped, her father started drinking and couldn't stop when she got back, hence her knowledge about addiction and recovery. Because of his drinking, they were at odds with each other when he died of cirrhosis (I think). When he died, Gabi couldn't get there in time to say goodbye which is why she was so desperate to get David there to say goodbye to his mother.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
19 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

What I took away/ was that Kidnapped Gabi was desperate to get to back to her father because she though that he wouldn't be able to take care of himself like know to wear gloves in the cold or get snow tires on his car, while Sir kept telling her that her father didn't deserve her and that he, Sir, was her real father.

While Gabi was kidnapped, her father started drinking and couldn't stop when she got back, hence her knowledge about addiction and recovery. Because of his drinking, they were at odds with each other when he died of cirrhosis (I think). When he died, Gabi couldn't get there in time to say goodbye which is why she was so desperate to get David there to say goodbye to his mother.

This is basically how I understood it as well.

• Like 3

Do we know how long Sir has been in the basement? Because my personal speculation is that Gabi found Sir the night her father passed away and that's why she wasn't there at the hospital in time, she was setting up Sir in the basement.

Or she was chasing down a lead on where Sir was and that's also why she missed that final moment with her father.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
21 minutes ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

Do we know how long Sir has been in the basement? Because my personal speculation is that Gabi found Sir the night her father passed away and that's why she wasn't there at the hospital in time, she was setting up Sir in the basement.

Or she was chasing down a lead on where Sir was and that's also why she missed that final moment with her father.

Oh, that's a good thought. And then he would have kept her away from her father twice--the initial kidnapping and then when she captured him (or however she got him in the basement).

On 11/9/2023 at 6:25 PM, TiffanyNichelle said:

Do we know how long Sir has been in the basement?

In episode 5, when the older guy who knew her dad showed up, she mentioned it had been 8.5 months since her dad died.  So presumably that's how long Sir has been in the basement.  

I watched the pilot, wasn't that impressed, and just recently caught up on the latest episodes. I think the present day Sir subplot should have been written in later.  As it stands, it's making the main protagonist look shady too early in the show, even if the show justifies her behavior. Give the show time to breathe, stabilize the cast relationships, etc. Especially since everyone on the team is a trauma victim.   

I know it's doing well in the ratings, but I wonder how long that will last once more TV content (new and returning) becomes available.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

This episode made me think more that Sir is a figment of her imagination - Sir's been down there around 8 months (iirc) and Gabi's dad died around 8 months ago. To me, that sounds like two possibilities:
1. Gabi's was tracking down Sir (or in the process of locking him up) when her dad was dying.
2. Her dad dying (as a result of something Sir was indirectly responsible for) made Gabi snap a bit and now she has power over a Sir that she created in her mind.

At this point, i'd prefer the second one - then real Sir appearing at some point.

• Like 2

S01.E07: Missing While Indigenous

found-episode-7g.jpg

Native American schoolteacher Denae Wagon decides to deliver her baby on the tribe's reservation in Virginia but disappears before she can make it home. The search is complicated by a tense family dynamic and Denae's high-risk pregnancy.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, November 14, 2023     NBC          10pm   

Casey Camp-Horinek as Grandma Rose Bell
Emily Alabi as Denae Wagon
Cliff Bemis as Dr. Sean Potter
Adam Beach as Kai Wagon
Shiah Luna as Ada Wagon
Anisa Nyell Johnson as Detective Shaker
Rena Maliszewski as Paula Chapman
Briza Covarrubias as May
Malorie Felt as Hanna Cress
Daniel Baldock as Charlie

found-episode-7e.jpg

1699615438_header.jpg

"Did you sleep with him?" 

Pipe-down, Captain Control Freak! Go read a book or something! 

I saw some tweets stating that Sir is jealous but I think it's more about control.  Sir's relationship with Gabi is a controlling parent on steroids. He sees her as his and how dare she seek out a potentional suitor without his counsel and approval. 

• Like 7

Although I have watched all of the episodes and really want to like this show, I just...don't.  A reservation is not going to just allow a group of people to roam all over the land and 'interrogate' whomever they want (and I actually have some personal knowledge about this).  I don't get why everyone just does what Gabby wants-who is she?  What authority does she have?  Just like every time she would just stomp into the police department and demand Trent do something for her (well at least that option is gone).

Just like an above poster, I counted 19 photos on the "Found" wall.  How is her agency so well known with only finding 19 people?  How is she able to get press conferences all of the time?  Her whole 'the whole country will be looking...' just doesn't make sense.

Oh, and if someone (Zeke) was bankrolling my whole agency with several employees beyond the core we see, expensive rent, etc., I would not be insisting on a designer wardrobe and expensive home after that.  I know, I know, I'm just supposed to handwave all of this.

Sigh.

• Like 2

More thoughts later, but the most unbelievable thing in this last one was that the Trauma Shed still exists, and Gabi didn't personally burn it to the ground herself. Gabi really needs to let go of a least some of her kidnapping baggage!

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

And the whole revelation about 'look in betweeen the two lands where no one thinks to look' is kind of ridiculous in a missing person case.  Its not like there were border walls or anything.

The addiction episode was still the weakest.  I don't get what kind of hold the cousin had over him for decades.  

Did we ever hear why she has to be at the bus stop at 9pm?  Other than some kind of ritualistic or superstitious behavior?

• Like 2
7 hours ago, FlowerofCarnage said:

"Did you sleep with him?" 

Pipe-down, Captain Control Freak! Go read a book or something! 

I saw some tweets stating that Sir is jealous but I think it's more about control.  Sir's relationship with Gabi is a controlling parent on steroids. He sees her as his and how dare she seek out a potentional suitor without his counsel and approval. 

I agree that it's more about control. I wonder if he also still thinks of her as his "little girl" in some ways, like she isn't supposed to date? Or look at other men in any sort of way.

Also, I liked the cop better in this ep, just as part of the team rather than at the station. But he really was taking a risk being at the station. When Adam Beach (I thought it was him and was right!) found them looking at the car and they said they were private investigators, it seemed so unofficial. I wondered whether they had some sort of ID indicating that--I feel like I've seen something like that in other shows

• Like 3
4 hours ago, jabRI said:

Did we ever hear why she has to be at the bus stop at 9pm?  Other than some kind of ritualistic or superstitious behavior?

No we didn’t.  I’m assuming it’s a time meaningful about the night her son disappeared. She spends every night there.  Which seems impossible and not helpful to the cases she is working now. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Just like every time she would just stomp into the police department and demand Trent do something for her (well at least that option is gone).

Now Trent's partner takes over, and allows them to watch the interrogation. Apparently nobody in the department will ask questions or notice Gabi there.

This episode solidified my "Gabi=Olivia Benson" perspective. Stealing Charlie's phone was ok because she is trying to find someone.

I'm also over Zeke's supersonic computer capabilities. He knows Charlie was brought into the hospital? How? Then he's able to access a random gas station's security video? I imagine anyone who works in cyber security is laughing at this show.

And in conclusion, I can't stand the dynamic between Gabi and Trent. Did he really say that it's his fault she stole the drive because he should have known she'd do it? Why not just say "you shouldn't make me hit you". I hate that Gabi feels no moral dilemma about her actions causing him to potentially lose his job. She just sort of shrugs it off like "ok well do you want to be an exotic dancer?" 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Every police procedural show has a super hacker now. They all can get into any private or government system and can do it within seconds.  
The examples you gave, @cfinboston, were ridiculous but typical. Searching multiple hospitals would be impossible timewise. The gas station security video might not even be on an internet based system. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Every police procedural show has a super hacker now. They all can get into any private or government system and can do it within seconds.  
The examples you gave, @cfinboston, were ridiculous but typical. Searching multiple hospitals would be impossible timewise. The gas station security video might not even be on an internet based system. 

Right? It's literally the boss saying "I need you to access this" and computer wizard says "on it" while staring intently at the screen. After 5 or 6 taps on the keyboard, "got it".

What's additionally ridiculous in "Found" is that despite taking place in DC, every police and public video camera is always in perfect working condition and gets flawless footage 

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, cfinboston said:

Right? It's literally the boss saying "I need you to access this" and computer wizard says "on it" while staring intently at the screen. After 5 or 6 taps on the keyboard, "got it".

What's additionally ridiculous in "Found" is that despite taking place in DC, every police and public video camera is always in perfect working condition and gets flawless footage 

While we're at it, when did everyone start to say "on it" in law enforcement circles? 

• Like 2

I thought Zeke said he called the gas station and they weren't answering, which is why he didn't get their surveillance footage as fast as they wanted. To me that implied the video was not internet-based or hackable, and he eventually got a callback from the station and obtained the video that way.

But the larger point stands, that TV (and movies and books, too, honestly) takes absurd liberties for plot reasons. Everything is compressed for time and expedience. Many now also have a savant type character who has mad skillz so that thy can take shortcuts in non-tech ways, as well.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Johannah said:

Haven't seen the latest episode, yet.  Just wanted to say that I really dislike the episode titles.

Yeah, if they keep them up, they'll either run out of them ("Wait, we already did that category!") or they'll get really ridiculous. Like how they started making SVU ep titles the same number of letters as the season number, which led to such winners as "Catfishing Teacher."

• Like 1

I agree with others about the writing, and that's when cast chemistry comes in. It can make the difference when the premise is shaky and the 1st season writing starts the viewer in the "middle" of the story.  After several episodes, I'm not really feeling the cast.  There are some individual performances I appreciate, but overall it's clunky.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Thanks for sharing! I wonder how many eps there are in the full season? It's on tomorrow (11/21), I think?

Also, "Deal or No Deal Island"???

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MarylandGirl said:

Thanks for sharing! I wonder how many eps there are in the full season? It's on tomorrow (11/21), I think?

Also, "Deal or No Deal Island"???

Supposedly 13 episodes for Found

• Useful 1
22 hours ago, DanaK said:

Supposedly 13 episodes for Found

Thanks! OK, if IMDB is to be trusted, looks like we'll have one each week through (and including) Dec. 12, then a break and a double episode on Jan. 9.

Oh, interesting. Spoiler-tagging for something listed for a future ep:

Spoiler

I was looking at the cast listed for upcoming eps on IMDB. For the first one airing Jan. 9, there is a cast member listed as "Sir Look-a-Like" (played by someone else). So maybe the Sir that was mentioned as being spotted is a look-alike and not the real one then?

Edited by MarylandGirl
Adding something from IMDB
  • Useful 1

S01.E08: Missing While Homeless

found-episode-8d.jpg

Dhan spearheads the search for a missing unhoused man who's been an integral part of a tight-knit encampment; when Detective Trent shares troubling news about Sir, Gabi goes to great lengths to protect her secret.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, November 21, 2023     NBC          10pm   

Cindy Hogan as Mack
Mo Gallini as Sampson
Sandra Lee-Oian Thomas as Ms. Lily
Anisa Nyell Johnson as Detective Shaker
Dajour Ashwood as Anton
Valerie Burgos as Eileen
Greg Weeks as Joe
Barret Doyle as Shifty Guy

found-episode-8.jpg

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

Thanks! OK, if IMDB is to be trusted, looks like we'll have one each week through (and including) Dec. 12, then a break and a double episode on Jan. 9.

There will not be two episodes shown on January 9, 2024, the article was attempting "badly" to say that there would be two episodes left to air when that date comes around, one on January 9, 2024 and the other on January 16, 2024. 

• Useful 2

I'm tired of Dhan beating people up and everybody acting like it's just fine.

The Gabi-Sir situation is too horrible and not feeling to me like it's serving any purpose other than horror/sensationalism, which I do not appreciate. I'm also back to thinking it diminishes her to need his help in solving cases. 

I do continue to appreciate that they are humanizing the missing people. I like that they also tried to humanizing the unhoused more generally, but am depressed that they felt a need to at the same time insult people who might also be fitting the stereotype of being drug addicts or mentally ill. Hey! addicts and mentally ill people are also worthy of care.

• Like 3

I am not sure why Sir's heat signature is just as bright as the the police ones outside, when he is inside a house, in the basement.

I am not sure if I would consider Joe missing, since he was running around taking care of his final business. The M&A team and Sampson where just never in the same place at the same time.

• Like 3

So of course when Gabi realizes (finally!) that having this guy in her basement is A Bad Idea, Sir starts thinking he has the upper hand and is making threats. But could he actually do anything to Lacey, though? I don't really think so, but either way, Gabi's got to get him out of her basement and life ASAP.

Well, at least we got the question answered about whether Gabi has thought through an 'endgame'; although I seriously doubt an insanity plea would work.

I thought it was weird that Lacey and Gabi could joke about Sir; mainly because Lacey was only kidnapped for like a day or two, right? She wouldn't know Sir as well as Gabi. Yeah, she could have learned more stuff later from Gabi, but I still don't think it makes sense.

It might be interesting if Zeke found out about Sir first. I want Lacey to know first, but they're really pushing the idea that Gabi wants to keep her in the dark, plus now there is Sir's threats, so (unfortunately, IMHO) maybe Cop Ex, or someone else, might find out first.

1 hour ago, Brown44 said:

... bc Zeke and Lacey was giving vibes.

It seems like they want to pair them up, but I feel like we need more build up.

• Like 2

So now that Trent is suspended from his job he just follows Gabi around and coordinates with the DC Police? He arranges them to patrol her house and gets his old partner Shaker(?) to be her personal security officer? Who knew the DC Police had that in their budget?

More SVU vibes as the team finds out that Sampson has been defrauding Social Security by keeping his dead wife's checks. Inexplicably, this will be enough to set his girlfriend up in an apartment for a decade? Why not use the money now to buy an RV?

I thought it was wrong for them to clean up Sampson's cart. That's literally all he has, wouldn't it be an invasion of his privacy? Margaret determined the assailant didn't belong there because his clothes were clean, but Sampson's were as well.

Where did Sampson get an apparently brand new gun? Did anyone else notice the hammer was cocked? That would have made the gun go off with just the lightest tap on the trigger. It's my pet peeve that primetime TV writers are so ignorant of firearms.

Lastly, did Zeke have a heat camera that indicates Sir was there? It seems like he knew there was someone but didn't say anything. 

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm also back to thinking it diminishes her to need his help in solving cases. 

I think it could be a cool "Remington Steele" type of subplot if Sir were less creepy and he contributed more.

• Like 1

I call it that Sir's been keeping tabs on Gabi. How terrifying knowing now that he could abducted Gabi again at any time since her escape.

I think we definintely say that Dahn knows who is in the basement and helped put him there.

Shanola says the dynamic between them isn't sexual but is that only on her end. This latest ep...I don't know. Sir threatening to kill Lacey if  Gabi "tries to end us" sounded like it had a romantic undercurrent to it IMO. He didn't say " if you try to break up our family again." I don't know or maybe I read too much dark romance. LOL

Gabi must be a sexual dynamo garner this much dedication from Trent.  A one night stand and he going above and beyond to help catch Sir for her and willing to lose gis job to cover for her. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I want to like this show.....but I don't.   But since there is nothing else on I am loathe to take it off my DVR at this point because I am that starved for original content.  

I hate the Sir storyline and might like the show more if it wasn't for that.  Everything else but that actually does work for me.  Its not even the vigilante thing.   I like the idea of deeply traumatized people setting up a company that hunts down people who the law would let slip through the system for....reasons.  

All the other stories work.   Gabi and Sir are just not working for me.  Maybe I am just tired of the dynamic and I don't think the show needs it.  It is waaaaay to SVU for me and I HATED SVU even way back before it became the Olivia Benson hour.  

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Gabi and Sir are just not working for me.  Maybe I am just tired of the dynamic and I don't think the show needs it. 

I don't hate this part of the show as much as you do, but I do think the whole 'Sir in the basement' situation definitely has a shelf life, and hopefully they resolve that by the end of this first season.

I'm just afraid that - like so many other shows whose writers fall in love with their villains - they'll find an even more ridiculous reason to keep Sir around just to keep Mark-Paul Gosselaar in the cast.

Not that I want this, but I could see them doing a Prodigal Son-type situation with Sir consulting from prison. That still leaves the problem of Sir being able to squeal on Gabi at any time, though.

• Like 6
20 hours ago, Brown44 said:

Am I missing something? Is Zeke gay or Bi? Because I thought the 1st episode they was joking that Zeke and Dhan should get together. Or did I miss read that, bc Zeke and Lacey was giving vibes.

I got this vibe, too, and also was confused. Though if he's bi, that could make sense. But I also don't want it to be one of those things where they feel they need to pair everyone up. We already have Gabi and the (ex-)cop. Maybe just keep it at a bit of sexual tension for now.

Possible trigger (animal harm):
Was anyone else afraid that Sir was going to either kill the kitten or make Gabi do that, because he was jealous she was showing it affection? I felt tense during the scenes with the cat and was relieved when he just had her let it go (but felt sad for Gabi).

And I was almost starting to feel some compassion for Sir...then he threatened to kill Lacey. I do feel there's a time limit on how long he can be down there--I imagine it may be resolved by season's end? There are 5 eps to go, if the 13-episode order is correct.

I also wonder if at some point they'll find one of the missing persons too late, where they've already died/been killed. That's part of what was a draw to me for Without a Trace--would they find the person alive? As maybe 1/3 or more of the time, they didn't. Or will there be one where they just don't find the person at all? If they all end with them finding the person safe, then it takes away from some suspense, I think.

• Like 2

I feel like...if the show really wants to go there with sexual/romantic subtext between Sir and Gabi, maybe not write her abduction as a teenager? Because I'm finding it very difficult to believe there wouldn't be some sexual trauma for Gabi on top of everything else. 

I sure wish we saw who Gabi was before the Sir in the basement mess.  I was confused that it seemed like Lacey had never seen the inside of Gabi's home? The show can't seem to land on how close the Gabi/Lacey relationship is supposed to be. Or the rest of the team for that matter.     

Trent behaving as if he's not suspended is an unintentional piece of comedy.  I wish the police wasn't involved at all beyond peripheral antagonists. I feel bad for the man because of Gabi's hot/cold treatment.

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, Trini said:

I thought it was weird that Lacey and Gabi could joke about Sir; mainly because Lacey was only kidnapped for like a day or two, right? She wouldn't know Sir as well as Gabi. Yeah, she could have learned more stuff later from Gabi, but I still don't think it makes sense.

She was kidnapped for a day.  They escaped after her first  meal with Sir.  That’s why it’s never made sense  to me that she is so completely traumatized by SIR and changed her name and Gabbi paid for law school etc ( with what money by the way?). 

• Like 6
14 hours ago, cfinboston said:

More SVU vibes as the team finds out that Sampson has been defrauding Social Security by keeping his dead wife's checks

That part made no sense.  His wife died 30 years ago.  What would she have been getting social security checks for?  There’s this thing called a death index.  SS finds out about your death when the coroner or funeral home reports it. Normally it’s unreported deaths that someone buries the body in the back yard and keeps the social security checks. 

There’s also a question of what services he would  have received over the past 30 years, due to being homeless or mentally ill or whatever.  That social security check would  have been discovered by some agency. 

• Like 4

I figured Sampson was getting social security survivor’s benefits. I’m gonna hand wave how much it would be based on how young his wife would have been. 

Doesn’t Dhan have a partner? I thought the early Zeke/Dhan stuff was more about team building and the thought they could help each other cope better through their traumas. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Pallida said:

Doesn’t Dhan have a partner? I thought the early Zeke/Dhan stuff was more about team building and the thought they could help each other cope better through their traumas. 

Yes, Dhan is married to his male therapist.  I don’t think we’ve been shown Zeke’s sexual orientation.  Given his issues, I don’t think a relationship is top on his list of things to be worried about. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 4
15 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

She was kidnapped for a day.  They escaped after her first  meal with Sir.  That’s why it’s never made sense  to me that she is so completely traumatized by SIR and changed her name and Gabbi paid for law school etc ( with what money by the way?). 

I completely forgot about the bolded.  Perhaps technically it's Zeke's money that's bankrolling law school? Because I don't recall if the show has stated what Gabi did for a living before opening the investigative services firm. And how does Lacey have all this free time while being in law school? 

It's very TV for main characters to live "comfortably" without explaining how.  Because how are Gabi, Lacey, and Sherlock lady able to afford where they're living? Zeke is explained, Dhan can be handwaved because he's married and the therapist could have a lucrative career. 

The writing really falls apart in the details, and it's not just because the show is incrementally revealing them to the viewer. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, katenm said:

How late each night does the Sherlock lady stay at the bus terminal? When does she sleep? 

I've wondered this, too. She certainly doesn't look like she gets much sleep! Does she sleep there? Or do she just have to stay until the time when a certain bus would arrive? Or maybe no buses arrive after, say, midnight, so she can go home then for a bit?

• Like 1

I know the kidnapper-in-a-basement thing is what’s meant to set Found apart from other procedurals, but it’s like the actual show doesn’t want to lean too much one way or another so for me, both the mystery of the week and the basement plot fall flat. Two separate shows that only sometimes cohere. 

Like others have already mentioned I also don’t want another SVU situation (until this episode Sir is actually the weakest part of the show for me) but it’s like the show doesn’t know exactly where they want to land with the current Gabi-Sir dynamic? And that makes for an uneven watch.

I do like the cast but the writing dips and swerves (like others mentioned, I too don’t really get the practicality of Margaret’s bus vigil or Lacey’s kidnapping because yeah wasn’t it only a day? I guess being so young when it happened, the burn scar she got and the fact that Sir is always out there would make things traumatic though?) but yeah acting can only do so much. I want to like this show a lot more than I do but right now I’m mostly watching because there’s next to nothing else on.

I guess I’m just a little confused as to what exactly the endgame is here. 

• Like 3
On 11/23/2023 at 5:46 AM, mythoughtis said:

I don’t think we’ve been shown Zeke’s sexual orientation.  Given his issues, I don’t think a relationship is top on his list of things to be worried about.

I was thinking the opposite! I imagine he's very lonely, and having a partner would go a long way to easing that, plus make life easer in other ways--  like retrieving packages. He seems quite functional as long as he doesn't leave his home.

On 11/23/2023 at 5:46 AM, mythoughtis said:

Dhan is married to his male therapist.

Do we know for sure he married his therapist? Could it be that he married a guy who happens to be a therapist, but who isn't HIS therapist? I would really consider his husband a villain if he married a client.

• Like 5