Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 - Episodes 1 through 11 Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

I thought "Missing While a Pawn" was pretty good. But why did Gabi just run out of the motel room instead of waiting for backup to come in? I know she wants to be the hero, but if she had waited beyond just hearing the sirens, maybe the teen who lured the victim wouldn't have been shot?

Lacey is suspicious of what Gabi knows about Sir now, so I wonder what will come of that? Maybe she'll follow her at some point and end up at her house? I think there's some preview scene showing Lacey asking "What's in the basement?" to her, right? (Or was that in an earlier episode and I just missed it?) I assume she may have heard something. Unless it's soundproofed, and she was just questioning all the locks. Though maybe if Lacey finds out, she'll be willing to keep the secret?

Also, I wonder if she'll somehow get the team involved in trying to find Annie? Might there be DNA on the dress so that she could at least figure out who she is? Or do any missing person files include handwriting samples of the victims?

It seems I have been pulled into this show!

• Like 3

They ran out of the motel room because the teen said the trafficker was coming and he sounded very urgent that they needed to get out fast. I wish she had brought the back up with her, though, instead of going in alone. But I think they plot-engineered that, to show her moral injury, and push her even more into an emotional crisis.

Of course, most shows have the rescuers show up just in time to prevent anybody getting hurt, thus skirting the issue of how folks feel when things don't go perfectly. 

This show is really making a point of delving into the hard parts. It's kind of brave of them, I think, because it would be easier to make a show where Our Heroes Always Save The Day In The Nick Of Time.

But now we know they aren't perfect, and it's really messy.

• Like 8

So I binged all 4 episodes of this and .... I am surprisingly digging it quite a bit.  Each episode gets better.

I think the show is managing to work its tricky premise pretty well to date.  But it is one of those shows where the audience waits queasily for the shoe to drop -- kinda like Mike's non law degree on Suits being found out. 

Another thing I like is that the show isn't info dumping  us on the main character's background.  I think on any other show we would have gotten a lot more exposition on them.  But right now all we are getting is little glimpses of each.  All we know is that all of them have had some sort of kidnapping trauma.  We don;t know anything about Gabi's or Lacey's families.  I think I heard that Zeke's family is very wealthy and all we know of Dhan is that he is the muscle and is happily married to his husband. 

But it seems to really concentrating on the cases of the week and letting the interpersonal stuff insert here and there.  Lord knows if this was a Shonda show Gabi and Hot Cop would have been boning secretly or something,  LOL.  Thank goodness it isn't quite there. I like when a show takes advantage of good sexual chemistry, but I also want the relationships to slow burn.

We also don't know Sir's motivations for kidnapping young girls.  It doesn't seem as if he sexually molested them (unless I missed something...?).  I am not so sure Sir can't get away if he really wanted to.  I think he likes being in Gabi's sphere and so he is willing to be her prisoner... for now.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

all we know of Dhan is that he is the muscle and is happily married to his husband. 

I think Dhan married the Therapist that was helping him through his trauma, which seems like a no-no.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
On 10/20/2023 at 9:21 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

Watched the first episode.  The ending would have been so much better if they hadn't given it away in the fucking preview.

Wow I had no idea!  I saw it unspoiled. Crazy thinking on the part of TPTB. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:
On 10/20/2023 at 9:21 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

Watched the first episode.  The ending would have been so much better if they hadn't given it away in the fucking preview.

Wow I had no idea!  I saw it unspoiled. Crazy thinking on the part of TPTB. 

I guess they thought they wouldn't be able to keep it a secret anyway? Because reviewers were spoiling the reveal too. That's how I knew about it before watching the premiere.

• Like 2

I think this show does an excellent job of portraying the aftermath of these types of trauma.
 Zeke developed agoraphobia in order to control his environment. Dahn has anger issues, and married someone who made him feel safe.  Gabby is either imagining turning the tables on Sir…or has turned into him.  

Margaret’s story shows a possible effect of a child’s loss on the family: divorce, loss of custody and visitation rights because one parent just can’t healthily function as a parent.  The other kids feel ( and are) abandoned in the relentless search for the missing child.  It’s  doubtful that Margaret and her now-adult child would even recognize each other if  he did show up at the bus station. 

Libby seems the least affected.  She was only kidnapped for a day and Gabby protected her during that time.  She has an appropriate fear of Sir coming back, but seems to function well otherwise. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 4

I wanted to like this, but it's so ridiculous as to be almost campy.

How is it they never seem to have paying customers? They have this insanely swank office yet they're tracking down foster kids and retirees.

Zeke with his computer setup is like Jet or Abby. Literally everything is inexplicably seconds away on his keyboard. Gabi just tells him to "search the dark web" or somehow access every security camera in the city and he's like.. "already on it!... Done!"

The last episode was just absurd. How did Gabi need a depraved criminal mind to recognize that overuse of the word "phonies" was from "Catcher in the Rye"? On every police show they need a SWAT team and battering rams to break down doors, but Gabi is able to kick down a hotel room door in one kick?? 

Margaret is just a poor man's Bobby Goren. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 4

S01.E05: Missing While Undocumented 
found-episode-5c.jpg

The M&A team mobilizes to trace the last steps of 21-year-old Satcha Moncado before she disappeared, knowing her undocumented status makes her more vulnerable. Their search uncovers a greater threat that nearly claims the life of one of our own.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, October 31, 2023     NBC          10pm   

Celines Estevez as Alaia Flores
Yanelisa as Satcha Moncado
Nic Starr as Brian Dunaway
Bill Kelly as Captain Tony Mallory
Anisa Nyell Johnson as Detective Shaker
Christopher Bencomo as Manny Hernandez
Eric Mendenhall as Miles Duncan
John Prosky as Kirk Jacobs
Sebastian Serra as Carlos Moncado
Autumn Moore as Rena

So another case of the missing person hiding themselves from someone. The case was good, but maybe one too many twists, since there was also stuff going on in 3 other subplots.

So Dhan is a slob when left on his own? -Heh! But seriously, I like how they're gradually revealing more about each character without be too heavyhanded. So it sounds like Dhan was a prisoner of war? I get that he has issues with being alone, but surely he doesn't really have to be alone when video calls (or even just regular calls) exist?

I can only hope that the only reason Margaret's story is so depressing is because eventually she will be reunited with her missing son.

Okay, so finally a tiny bit about Gabi and her father; I still have a lot of questions, though.

Still not sold on Cop Ex, although he's useful at times; but I did like that scene with him and Gabi by the river(?).

Interesting development with Sir. I wasn't afraid that anything would happen to Gabi, but I was surprised he gave the broken off shard to her unprompted. I'd say the show has so far shown Sir as more psychologically violent than physically violent, BUT, we still we still don't know what happened to Annie.

Although she's the most well-adjusted of the group, I hope Lacey gets a spotlight subplot soon.

Edited by Trini
  • Like 3

I thought it was hilarious that Dhan tried to pass off his being with Zane as for Zane's benefit, rather than his own.

I liked the episode.

I don't understand why her dad's executor was pressuring Gabi to spread the ashes. I get that dad wanted to have them released in the lake, but surely he and the executor could also understand why Gabi might want to hold on to them, at least for a while. If he's only been dead 5 months, it seems like she ought to be given some grace with this. In Judaism, you get a full year before anybody's supposed to expect you to be over a major death. And even that is not a hard and fast rule.

They are trying to make me interested in what makes Sir tick. At this point, I'm guessing it will be some trauma or other. Maybe he lost a child, or some other protegee, and so he turned to kidnapping to have someone to replace them who can never escape. I have not decided yet whether or in what ways I care.

I wonder how long they will wait before Lacy [or someone else] finds out he's in the basement. Probably the season finale.

I d think Lacey and/or Gabi might have looked into his background, but maybe they don't know his true identity, and maybe it was before there was enough searchable data to extract. He does seem to have had the idea to hide who he really is, so maybe he was always as off the radar as possible. But then... where did he get his money? Where there is money, there is always a trail of some kind. It's not like he had her hidden in an off-grid cabin in the wilderness, eating tree bark and berries and whatever animals he could hunt. And he thought they could travel, so he must have had money for that, too. You can't do that, even with forged papers, without some money. I don't think he was planning a minor roadtrip, either. It sounded more like he wanted another continent.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ScorpioSoul said:

Two things I am wanting them to explain is how Gabi tracked Sir down after 19 years and also how Gabi and Lacey escaped.

Maybe Sir tracked her down or has been keeping tabs on her since her escape.  He is arrogant enough to make himself known to her and she turned the tables on him. 

• Useful 3
12 hours ago, ScorpioSoul said:

Two things I am wanting them to explain is how Gabi tracked Sir down after 19 years and also how Gabi and Lacey escaped.

They showed us how Gabi and Lacey escaped int he first episode. At least, how they got out of the house. We didn't see where they had to run after they left, but since Sir was gone by the time anyone got back it suggests it was in the middle of nowhere.

10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

They showed us how Gabi and Lacey escaped int he first episode. At least, how they got out of the house. We didn't see where they had to run after they left, but since Sir was gone by the time anyone got back it suggests it was in the middle of nowhere.

Hmm, I don't know how I missed that. Will have to go back and watch again.

4 hours ago, ScorpioSoul said:

I found the part where she hits him with a skillet, don't know how I missed it the first time. 

I don't know how it took her over a year to do it.

Yeah, I get that not knowing where she was and how the escape would work after that, and it took Sir kidnapping another girl to make her do it, but she is being shown as strong-minded and I wouldn't think it would take that long.

As for how they afford the nice office, didn't they mention that Zeke comes from a rich family and they were "sponsoring" the group?  Still, I would expect them to supply less luxurious quarters - especially since they are probably supplying all of Zeke's tech.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Johannah said:

As for how they afford the nice office, didn't they mention that Zeke comes from a rich family and they were "sponsoring" the group?  Still, I would expect them to supply less luxurious quarters - especially since they are probably supplying all of Zeke's tech.

This was mentioned, but as you said, it's insanely over the top. 

It also makes no sense how they're able to operate. They're not law enforcement or military, but they're simply walking into potential crime scenes, interviewing witnesses and demanding security footage from hotels. 

DAE think it's weird how seemingly everyone in DC knows Gabi? As if you get famous by locating missing foster kids and immigrants? 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
22 hours ago, cfinboston said:

DAE think it's weird how seemingly everyone in DC knows Gabi? As if you get famous by locating missing foster kids and immigrants?

I don't know, it is sort of easy for people to become "city" famous, local newscasters, personal injury attorneys, car dealership owners, athletes, hosts of talk shows, children shows, and movies, local commercials, anyone that appears regularly on TV.

• Like 5
On 10/31/2023 at 2:20 PM, cfinboston said:

How did Gabi need a depraved criminal mind to recognize that overuse of the word "phonies" was from "Catcher in the Rye"?

That bugged me, too. Once it was made clear that she'd read The Catcher in the Rye, it made no sense that she didn't figure it out faster. "Phony" is not a word that modern teenagers use. As soon as the kid said it, I thought, "What, is he J.D. Salinger?"

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

That bugged me, too. Once it was made clear that she'd read The Catcher in the Rye, it made no sense that she didn't figure it out faster. "Phony" is not a word that modern teenagers use. As soon as the kid said it, I thought, "What, is he J.D. Salinger?"

It looked like from the beginning that Gabi was using Sir as her secret weapon, along the lines of needing someone who thinks like a criminal because she can't.

However, what he adds is laughably easy. Last episode he brilliantly points out that Sasha must be alive because the apartment was ransacked? That was just dumb, as a murderer might have ransacked her apartment looking for something, not necessarily for her. 

• Like 3
On 11/2/2023 at 10:44 AM, Johannah said:

I don't know how it took her over a year to do it.

I am wondering if at that point he got a little careless?  Most kidnappers won't allow their victim anywhere near anything that could be weaponized.

The case of the week with the undocumented girl was kinda meh for me.  It is tv series cliche 101 that an unrelated murder investigation would just so happen to dovetail with Gabi's lates missing person.  Feels like lazy writing.

That said, I found everything else interesting.  I saw Sir's exercise in 'Let's choose a new name and reinvent ourselves' as just that, an exercise.  A test to see if he was breaking her down.  If she was ready to deny her own name and pick something else, that would have been a major win for him.  Still not sure what role Gabi played for him?  He calls her his 'family.'  I wonder if he had some sort of psychotic break and had a daughter at some point?

So Dhan had been kidnapped for three years.  I am so curious to hear everyone's back stories.

I wonder where they plan to go with Margaret's son?  Do they already know their end game there or if they are just playing with it for now?

Based on that last conversation by the lake, it almost seems like hot cop knew Gabi's dad? Maybe? Another little puzzle I'd like to get the background on.  What is Gabi and Hot Cop's history?

Sir is playing Gabi.  Him showing her that wood shard feels like a manipulation as was his challenge for her to let him go.  He is where he wants to be, imo.

I had to LOL at one point.  During the fight in the kitchen, there were three dark haired men of a similar build, with similar hair and similar facial structure all fighting.  I couldn't tell them apart.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

I want to like this show but I’m having a hard time because I don’t see any way out for Gabi. You just don’t come back from keeping someone locked in your basement for a year - even this someone.

I suppose they could throw in another shocking twist that he’s a figment of her imagination? This could explain why his “help” is so…unnecessary.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I want to like this show but I’m having a hard time because I don’t see any way out for Gabi. You just don’t come back from keeping someone locked in your basement for a year - even this someone.

I suppose they could throw in another shocking twist that he’s a figment of her imagination? This could explain why his “help” is so…unnecessary.

Agreed. It seems that there's almost definitely some twist because his presence in her basement was shown in the preview. 

My guess for the twist is that he's not actually captive but remains there voluntarily. There's a preview conversation where she accused him of wanting to be there. Obviously that may be edited or taken out of context. In the last episode when she takes his books she tells him "you think you're in control but you're not" so maybe she is hiding him from the authorities with the understanding he stays there for as long as she was held captive.

My call is the season finale shows him removing the shackles but replacing them when Gabi approaches. 

• Like 1
On 10/22/2023 at 11:06 PM, bros402 said:

So it sounded like Not-Cop-Guy on the team knows something weird is going on with her (Maybe he knows that she has Sir in the basement?)

I had the same thought. He said something about everyone keeping secrets. If he doesn't know for sure, he has a good idea that Gabi is keeping some sort of big secret.

On 10/31/2023 at 12:20 PM, cfinboston said:

How is it they never seem to have paying customers? They have this insanely swank office yet they're tracking down foster kids and retirees.

Zeke comes from a very wealthy family. Gabi said he bankrolls the whole operation.

• Useful 3
On 11/3/2023 at 8:56 PM, DearEvette said:

Sir is playing Gabi.  Him showing her that wood shard feels like a manipulation as was his challenge for her to let him go.  He is where he wants to be, imo.

Yeah, it seems even if it's toxic (especially if it's toxic??), Sir stills enjoys(?) having a connection to to Gabi.

• Like 1
On 10/31/2023 at 2:20 PM, cfinboston said:

The last episode was just absurd. How did Gabi need a depraved criminal mind to recognize that overuse of the word "phonies" was from "Catcher in the Rye"?

The show needs a way to justify Gabi keeping Sir captive in her basement. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.

And even with this, it's a very twisted thing for Gabi to be doing.

On 11/4/2023 at 11:26 AM, sharifa70 said:

Exactly. I don't know how the show is going to write their way out of this one unless he is a figment of her imagination. It's not like she actually needs him to solve the cases.

Unfortunately, I find the Sir plots both present day and back in time to be the most boring parts of the show.  My eyes glaze over when he appears on screen, especially in the past time scenes. Maybe if I knew why he wanted to create a young woman in his image it might help

• Like 2
12 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The show needs a way to justify Gabi keeping Sir captive in her basement. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.

And even with this, it's a very twisted thing for Gabi to be doing.

Exactly. I don't know how the show is going to write their way out of this one unless he is a figment of her imagination. It's not like she actually needs him to solve the cases.

Unfortunately, I find the Sir plots both present day and back in time to be the most boring parts of the show.  My eyes glaze over when he appears on screen, especially in the past time scenes. Maybe if I knew why he wanted to create a young woman in his image it might help

Agreed--we need pre-Gabi background on Sir. I might feel more invested in the character if, say, we learn he lost his daughter in a tragic accident. Or, say, his ex-wife/girlfriend, the daughter's mother, ran off with the daughter. And he puts up with being imprisoned by Gabi because after a certain amount of time, she's agreed to help him find his daughter.

• Like 3

I guess because I prefer procedurals over shows that dwell on the personal lives of the cops/detectives/whomever, I really don't care if they never show their backstories, either of the main cast or Sir.  Backstories on the criminals are fine because it's usually just why they are committing the crime.

• Like 1

I actually don't mind too much not knowing everything right now.  I am kinda liking the anticipation of getting bits of info in each episode. 

The only thing that hinders that, is that we won't have the luxury of time to let them expose it in this way.  What with show cancellations etc.  One thing in this show's favor is that it is doing well in the ratings because it doesn't really have any other scripted competition. So maybe we'll get a good run.

I am hoping, charitably, that the writers/showrunner has planned out what their vision for Sir is so as it plays out and is revealed it works logically.

I am also hoping, charitably, that they don't actually plan to have him in the basement too long.  It is an unsustainable element of the show and over time would bog it down because it will begin to loom larger than it should.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I actually don't mind too much not knowing everything right now.  I am kinda liking the anticipation of getting bits of info in each episode. 

The only thing that hinders that, is that we won't have the luxury of time to let them expose it in this way.  What with show cancellations etc.  One thing in this show's favor is that it is doing well in the ratings because it doesn't really have any other scripted competition. So maybe we'll get a good run.

I am hoping, charitably, that the writers/showrunner has planned out what their vision for Sir is so as it plays out and is revealed it works logically.

I am also hoping, charitably, that they don't actually plan to have him in the basement too long.  It is an unsustainable element of the show and over time would bog it down because it will begin to loom larger than it should.

i also hope it's planned out and that they have the time to let it play out. Showing my age here, but I'm thinking of the original Twin Peaks and how they just had to wrap it up suddenly.

And hoping that his being in the basement won't, say, stretch over 3 seasons. If they want to keep him in the show, maybe have him go to prison after the first season, then they could consult with him there?

• Like 3

S01.E06: Missing While Addicted 

found-episode-6f.jpg

When Gabi takes the case of a missing man on behalf of his mother, it causes disagreement among the team. Her dogged pursuit of the truth leads to a shocking revelation.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, November 7, 2023     NBC          10pm   

Jean St. James as Rachel Hall
Shane Coffey as Lucas
Brandon Stanley as David Hall
Mack Williams as Teen David
Zander Grable as Tony Edwards
Arielle Prepetit as Mira
Freddy Boyd as Leo
Wes Jetton as Jesse Winfield
Keisha Tillis as Emily
Josh Henry as Police Officer

Does anyone know why Bret Dalton was like: "You know what my character needs? A pornstache!" from the second episode on?

And why is his character letting Gabi destroy his career? Did I miss that?

Should I be siding with Sir? Like, damn, Gabi, WTF do you actually want? I get that he destroyed her life during her formative years, but he actually seems to be growing the barest bit of a conscience. Take the apology and make him feel guilty about it or something, as opposed to more screaming.

• Like 2
On 11/1/2023 at 1:33 PM, FlowerofCarnage said:

Maybe Sir tracked her down or has been keeping tabs on her since her escape.  He is arrogant enough to make himself known to her and she turned the tables on him. 

Maybe Sir found Gabi after her father died? Maybe he started sending her letters or something and she used that to capture him.

Missed the first half; but glad we got a little more about Gabi and her father.

On 11/6/2023 at 12:25 PM, DearEvette said:

In addition to this, I think it would be unsustainable for Gabi herself. Yeah, she's getting her revenge on, but does she really want to have this guy in her basement for... who knows how long? Sir may be useful occasionally, but that may not justify the cost to herself.

• Like 4

There are only 19 pictures on the wall, if I counted right (looking at the photo in the episode description post). At the rate they are taking cases, that says they're not in business for very long, which seems strange since they do seem to work together like a team that's been together l quite a while. 

Trent probably getting fired... does that mean he joins the team? Or does he get his job back so they have an insider at the police? 

Also, Sir is not going to be okay with Another Man In The House. I don't know if he will make noise and get discovered right away, or if he will just go nuts with jealousy, claim he's protecting Gabi from That Man, and find some other way to make trouble, but it's clear that he's not going to be calm about her having a visitor.

I wanted Lacey to be the one to find out, not Trent. But they seem to want to push the male lover as savior over the female friendship bond, so I guess I will prepare myself for disappointment.

Does Trent have a police union rep who will defend him, or will Lacey be his lawyer, or what? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wanted Lacey to be the one to find out, not Trent. But they seem to want to push the male lover as savior over the female friendship bond, so I guess I will prepare myself for disappointment.

I still think Lacey will be the one to find out first. It's a 'juicier' story that way. She's probably the one person who might be willing to keep the secret (at least temporarily.) Once Cop Ex finds out, he'd have to do something about it immediately; OR Gabi might have to do something to keep him quiet -- and I doubt they want to disrupt the (potential) romance.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

i felt sorry for Flashback Gabi, worried about what is going to happen to her father.

But damn, giving her the DSM IV to read? What is Sir trying to prove? Give her an abnormal psych book if you want her to understand.

I will lose respect for Gabi if she lets Trent take the fall for her taking the USB drive.

16 hours ago, jmonique said:

Should I be siding with Sir? Like, damn, Gabi, WTF do you actually want? I get that he destroyed her life during her formative years, but he actually seems to be growing the barest bit of a conscience. Take the apology and make him feel guilty about it or something, as opposed to more screaming.

He is still manipulating her and lying to her, about her father being a deadbet, telling her that she is the one who wanted a friend so he kidnapped Lacey for her (false). I know that the character is played by Gosselar but Sir is still manipulative, lying scum.

The actress who plays Lacey is a beautiful woman; why was she wearing a mushroom on her head? Also, will we find out why she changed her name?

• Like 3

I'm confused. Did Sir say something about keeping Gabi from saying goodbye to her dad? Her dad hasn't been dead long, so she wasn't being held by Sir at that time. Maybe I missed heard...

I am so bugged by the way that Trent lets Gabi use him. He's so stuck on her that I'm starting to feel sorry for him.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 1

The show is kind of losing its luster for me. This was my least favorite episode so far. I could see from 100 miles that the cousin and the rehab center guy were trouble. How often is Gabi going to yell "we can't give up on them!"?

The cat-and-mouse game in the basement is getting tiresome. Something needs to happen. 

At least there were finally consequences for the dubious police work. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

The show is kind of losing its luster for me. This was my least favorite episode so far. I could see from 100 miles that the cousin and the rehab center guy were trouble. How often is Gabi going to yell "we can't give up on them!"?

The cat-and-mouse game in the basement is getting tiresome. Something needs to happen. 

At least there were finally consequences for the dubious police work. 

OMG was going to say same.  The cousin was so hinky in the first scene. I like procedural, but the procedural part of this show is lacking. Someone noted upthread about keeping the potential weapons away from the prisoner, but I think the wall of cast iron skillets was there the whole time. It was shown prominently last night while they were eating. 

• Like 2

So for any SVU fans on here, I've come to the conclusion that Gabi=Olivia Benson.

Gabi's worldview is that she is always on the side of angels and therefore everything she does is justified. Gabi is surrounded by those who inexplicably worship her because she cares so much and therefore have decided that she's a hero.

She steals the thumb drive, places the CI in jeopardy and risks Trent's job. She insists it's ok because David needs to see his mom. It was exactly the sort of thing Olivia would do.

She also uses her personal trauma card the way Liv continually reminds victims that she was a child of rape. She believes her experience makes her uniquely qualified to help victims and places her above others because she understands trauma better than everyone else.

Additionally she is dismissive of any misgivings others have about her actions. Dhan was clearly uncomfortable with her violating protocols regarding addiction treatment, but Gabi steamrolls over him.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

OMG was going to say same.  The cousin was so hinky in the first scene. I like procedural, but the procedural part of this show is lacking. Someone noted upthread about keeping the potential weapons away from the prisoner, but I think the wall of cast iron skillets was there the whole time. It was shown prominently last night while they were eating. 

Agreed that the procedural part is lacking. In this ep, the way they showed up at the sober living house initially just seemed so suspicious. Then the missing person just happened to leave his journal there where they could find it. I get that because they aren't police, they don't need to have a search warrant. But couldn't that be considered theft? And breaking into the storage area in the backyard? Plus violating the restraining order. And stealing the item from the evidence box. And that was just this ep!

Are they just going to keep being able to get away with everything, with no consequences, because they manage to find the person in the end?

And of course there's Gabi keeping Sir in the basement, if that's real.

I do like most of the characters (I'm not particularly into the police guy, and Gabi can be a bit too intense at times). But they need to do better with the procedural stuff.

• Like 2

TV is full of vigilantes being portrayed as heroes, justified in their lack of qualms about procedure. The Equalizer does it all the time. Hawaii 5-0 did it so much that I stopped watching. Elementary (Sherlock Holmes remake) did it. Those are just the first 3 that spring to my mind.

I'm not saying it's right. But this show is not the only one, nor is it even rare among shows, to take this approach.

I think IRL people also ignore laws they think are stupid or inconvenient-- like breaking the speed limit or not declaring cash income on their taxes, not to mention the constant civil rights violations and things like housing discrimination or denial of reasonable accommodations unless sued.

Again, I'm definitely not saying it's right, but I think it's an element of our society that is not limited to fiction, and that at some point we need to reckon with.

Where do we draw the line, and why, and what do we think should change? Wher the lines are? How people are dealt with when they cross them? Shows like this sometimes just ignore the ethical questions, but sometimes I think they highlight them so people will reflect. I am not sure yet which way this show is going with it. We saw Trent have some consequences. Whether they handwave it, or whether there are serious ripples that change how they all operate going forward, I don't know yet. 

Ditto for Sir in the basement. That is some seriously fucked up twisted shit. If they handle it well, it could be worth showing, but if they are just doing it for the yuck factor, I will think less of the show for sure. And I agree they need to stop wallowing and start making something happen in this regard.

• Like 6