Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Bliss said:

Confident Carol was a pleasure to watch...

I related to Carol and thought we were of like minds, but alas, when I insta-knew Gulf of Aqaba for her daily double, she surprised me by not knowing it. 
I also knew the TS Schweitzer. 

But I'm glad Adriana won. During the interviews she mentioned playing a 90s CD ROM Jeopardy! home game until she had memorized all the clues, and Ken said something about how we might see if that still helps her now. 
I do see a certain "autopilot" that seems to switch on for her that seems to override any flustering or nerves that might happen in the course of the live TV game. 

I noticed when Ken came out at the beginning there was a LOT of LOUD cheering, like I see, for example, when Stephen Colbert comes on stage on his show. I'm sure Ken and the producers do not want Ken to become a distraction. As beloved as Alex was, I don't recall cheering like that when he took the stage. Maybe they'll have to have Ken already in place at the beginning with the players?

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I noticed when Ken came out at the beginning there was a LOT of LOUD cheering, like I see, for example, when Stephen Colbert comes on stage on his show. I'm sure Ken and the producers do not want Ken to become a distraction. As beloved as Alex was, I don't recall cheering like that when he took the stage. Maybe they'll have to have Ken already in place at the beginning with the players?

Having Ken already there would be a dramatic change that would be unnecessary, if the applause is for Ken. I assumed the applause was for Adraina with friends and family in the audience, or even for one of the new contestants. If it was too much and for Ken, the audience can be instructed to clap appropriately. But I don't think it was just for Ken.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I did okay on Friday and FJ, while not an instaget, came to me pretty quickly.  It sounded like someplace in the East Indies and the date lead me to Magellan.  It was more than 250 years too early for Cook.

Didn't do so well last night, probably because I was distracted by my Twitter feed full of pictures of Ewan Mitchell at the House of the Dragon season 2 NYC premiere.  I did, however, get FJ.  It was sort of a guess in that I knew Bryn Mawr was one of the Seven Sisters schools and that it's in PA (just outside of Philly) but wasn't sure if there were farther south.

• Like 1

I am not really up on all the explorers, so I probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway, but the whole time the think music was going, all I could think of was "The Golden Hinde" which I think was Drake's ship. I remember in school, a friend of mine did a report on it, with a drawing she herself made, showing a golden butt, and I was certain (1) she was kidding, (2) she was going to get into trouble with the teacher, but it turned out it was true (not a prank) and the teacher didn't get upset.

I still don't know if "hinde" meant something other than what my friend thought it meant, and, if not, why the ship was called that. But it did stick in my mind for 45+ years, and so it was an effective way to give a report, I guess!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I am not really up on all the explorers, so I probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway, but the whole time the think music was going, all I could think of was "The Golden Hinde" which I think was Drake's ship. I remember in school, a friend of mine did a report on it, with a drawing she herself made, showing a golden butt, and I was certain (1) she was kidding, (2) she was going to get into trouble with the teacher, but it turned out it was true (not a prank) and the teacher didn't get upset.

I still don't know if "hinde" meant something other than what my friend thought it meant, and, if not, why the ship was called that. But it did stick in my mind for 45+ years, and so it was an effective way to give a report, I guess!

According to wiki,

"Golden Hind was a galleon captained by Francis Drake in his circumnavigation of the world between 1577 and 1580. She was originally known as Pelican, but Drake renamed her mid-voyage in 1578, in honour of his patron, Sir Christopher Hatton, whose crest was a golden hind (a female red deer)."

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

I had no idea on FJ.

I got the missed clues of things you crack, maple, Mary Cassat, be a fly on the Wall, Hong Kong, Baya Blanca and Henry Ford.

I got the entire categories of trees right and potpourri wrong.

• Like 2

June 4:

73% / 57% / 66%

Did very well in the first round, except for one category. I ran Tree-via and Other Good Books, missed one in Common Bonds, Eurofood, and "IZ", and completely failed Sports (shocking, I know).

Did not very well in the second round. Missed one in Idioms & Expressions and Modern Potpourri, two in June 4 Ever More, and three in Art "C", Any Port, and Storm.

FJ was an instaget. ☂️

TSes: (J had 6 + the DD; DJ had 9 + 1 DD) I got shot, sugar maple, fly on the wall (DD), Hong Kong, Henry Ford.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight.

53 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Don't judge, but Mary Poppins is one of my favorite movies.

I would never judge you, as it's one of my favorites, too!  

I also got the TS of cabbage, maple, transfer portal, and a fly on the wall.

• Like 4
(edited)

I'm glad Adriana secured a slot in the ToC; we were off to a good start with Alison and Amy, and then I was bummed when Weckiai and Allison both lost in their third games.

The crack TS in common bonds surprised me, and no one coming up with shot in that same category blew me away.

I ran food and missed two in sports, but otherwise the first round was a story of oh, so close: I got all but quaking in trees, all but Lil rappers in bonds, all but Good Omens in books, and all but Civilization in "IZ".

I was even worse in art than I normally am, only coming up with charcoal.  Unfortunately, that was not my only bad category in DJ; I missed three in June.  But I did well in the rest; I only ran idioms and ports, but got all but decentralized in potpourri and missed two in storms.

I had no idea for FJ.  I used to play the soundtrack a lot as a kid, but I only saw the movie once, probably 40 years ago, and never read the books.  So Mary Poppins was not percolating anywhere in my mind for something in the clue to point me to her.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1

I read the Mary Poppins books back in the day, plus watched the movie repeatedly (with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke-- I haven't seen the remake), so I got FJ today.

I love the Lone Ranger guess! 

• Like 5

I didn't know Mary Poppins was a series of books, I thought there was just one. My mind went to the Oz books, although I didn't know who the speaker would be. Dorothy? Glinda? Anyway, I'm glad to see Adriana securing her TOC spot. From the time she told a story about how her weirdness set her apart from others, I knew she was my people.

• Like 6

I have never seen the movie Mary Poppins, but I know the story line.  I live in south Louisiana where it gets very warm/hot in spring.  Our schools did not have air conditioning until the late 60's or early 70's, so the classrooms were hot with only a fan to help circulate the air in addition to open windows. When I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade, our teacher would make all of the students in her class put their heads down on their desks and rest after lunch recess while she read to us from a Mary Poppins book for probably 30 minutes.  I think I usually fell asleep lulled into slumber by the heat, the drone of the fan, and my teacher's voice.  I really don't remember much about Mary Poppins other than it was the book my teacher chose to read to us after lunch in 1956.   

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I never noticed the raucous applause before, but after reading about it here, I listened for it yesterday. 

At first, it just seemed like people clapping for the start of the game. But it's true that when ken walked out, there was cheering that kicked up at the same time.

To his credit, he seemed to be trying to not react to it, and to just start talking rather than waiti8ng fo rit to die down, or acknolweding it in any way. He doesn't bow or wave or act like he notices, which is very unlike most people who are receiving that kind of welcome.

I can't remember at all what happened when Alex or any of the other hosts during the guest host rotation were on. 

But they can surely tell the audience not to do it, or just not mic the stage in a way that captures it so much (or edit it out) if they don't want it, so I'm guessing the producers don't think it's a problem. 

Given that I didn't even notice until someone pointed it out here, I guess I'm not feeling strongly enough about it to be convinced that it's a huge problem, but I do kind of wish it wasn't happening. I don't want the show to be about Ken, or Ken for him to attract adoration for his role here. Respect, sure. He's doing a great job and making himself quite likable. But I do enjoy the lack of clamour in the one place there seems to be any hope of a place not having any at this point in history.

• Like 3
(edited)

Adriana wears a belt better than anyone I know. That’s not knowledge based but I am jealous anyway.

Edited by Quickbeam
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Wink 2

June 5:

77% / 57% / 67%

Did pretty well in J…ran Pop Music (of all things…), missed one in Buzz, "Gate"keeping, and The Real Red Tails, and two in Zodiac and Geography. In DJ I ran Public Transportation, missed two in US Rep & Prez and 21st Century Books, and three in TV, Science, and City Slang.

Not quite insta-, but I got FJ in a few seconds.

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 8 + 1 DD) I got Seattle, air-to-air, seat, deuterium (DD), and James Madison.

I made a point to pay attention when Ken came out and I definitely heard a little surge of applause, but I don't think it was excessive. I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't listening for it.

• Like 4

I got FJ.

I got the missed clues of seat, deuterium, and pleistocene.

I got the entire category of buzz right.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Almost instaget for FJ tonight.  Took me a second, but "spring" brought me to the right place.

I also got the TS of Selective Service, seat, deuterium, Pleistocene, and James Madison.

• Like 5
46 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the entire category of buzz right.

I on the other hand would have gotten the entire category if I hadn’t forgotten the category every single time. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • LOL 5

2 FJs in a row for me! 
Chim chim chiree!
And thanks to my many times reading Jane Austen's novels for today's "Bath."

Regarding DDs:
Yesterday I was yelling "Fly on the wall!" at Travis. 
Today it wouldn't have helped if Adriana could hear me mispronouncing deuterium in every possible misspelled way, unless maybe she would have known it if she heard me saying things that sounded more like Deuteronomy than deuterium.

Yesterday's TS of Mary Cassatt was an instaget for me, even though I hadn't seen the category heading of “…ART ‘C.’”
I would've run the category, but I missed the $2k response. Sadly, I don't think Camille Claudel was taught in the 60s through 1971 when I studied art history. Just reading the Wikipedia entry is heartbreaking (wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Claudel). It makes me long for an alternate universe for her.

Allee had some mad buzzer skills for a newbie.

• Like 5
48 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I on the other hand would have gotten the entire category if I hadn’t forgotten the category every single time. 

I forgot the category on zodiac a couple of times.  I also said Southern Cross and unfortunately didn't even remember the category after that was wrong.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I forgot the category on zodiac a couple of times.  I also said Southern Cross and unfortunately didn't even remember the category after that was wrong.

I did the same on that clue but I wouldn't have gotten it even if I had remembered the category. 

• Like 3

I missed the beginning, so didn't have a chance to listen to the applause level (something I've never noticed).

I ran buzz, "gate", and geography, and got all but Rodrigo in music and all but the air-to-air TS in Tuskegee.  I missed two in zodiac, which is something in which I have zero interest, so that was a pleasant surprise and made for a good first round.

Not so good in DJ.  Which is to say bad.  I missed all but The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo in books, three each in TV and slang, and two in science.  I got all but the Madison TS in presidents and all but the seat TS in public transport, but didn't run anything.

I did get FJ, so at least I ended on a high note.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Almost instaget for FJ tonight.  Took me a second, but "spring" brought me to the right place.

I couldn't come up with anything other than Bath but I was suspicious that it was too easy and there must be some other place with a name derived from Sacred Spring and/or something related to Minerva. 

I was able to guess "seat" for jwaseok.

• Like 6
(edited)

Did not get FJ, although it was obvious after the reveal. My mind did that thing it does, where I send it in a certain direction ("British cities that reference water: Go!"), it lands on something ("Liverpool?") and refuses to budge. I was sure I was wrong, but I couldn't get out of the pool long enough to splash around anywhere else.

3 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I'm so happy Lisa Ann Walters will be in the Tournament of Champions. 

Considering Ike Barinholtz got to play in the last one, it would pretty rude of them to not invite her!

Re. the applause: I still haven't noticed it, but I will try to remember to listen for it tomorrow. I think it's very possible that Adriana has a vocal fan group in the audience, because I think the mentions of applause only started after she first appeared. I doubt it's just for Ken, because what were they waiting for? 

Either way, I doubt production would do anything to stop it, and I wouldn't be surprised if they encourage it. They want fans to be engaged, and they want to create buzz around new contestants that can carry over into tournament events. There are only so many times that the likes of Amy and James can return. The hungry primetime J! beast demands new blood!

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 8
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Same here.

14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I do that so danged often - ticks me off. I've missed many a clue because of that. I have the memory of a fruit fly sometimes.

• Like 4

We had tornado alerts from about 5 minutes into Jeopardy last night so I had to go to the archive.  I did well in the first round.  Ran 2 categories (Buzz and Zodiac) and got all but 1 clue in 3 others ("Gate", Pop Music and TV Shows).  But I completely blew the DJ round.  Only got 1 clue in Science and only got 1 stumper (James Madison).

FJ was an instaget, though.

Glad to see that Adrianna got win #6.  I'd love to see a really long run from her.

16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Sadly, I don't think Camille Claudel was taught in the 60s through 1971 when I studied art history.

I took art history courses in college in the nineties and I don't think she got more than a passing mention.  I only really know about her from the movie with Isabel Adjani and Gerard Depardieu.

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I did the same on that clue but I wouldn't have gotten it even if I had remembered the category. 

I got it but possibly not before the buzzer, only by finally coming up with the zodiac sign which is the archer.

13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

There are only so many times that the likes of Amy and James can return.

And judging by the ratings drop for this year's Masters Tournament, they've already reached the limit.

• Like 4
(edited)

June 6:

77% / 57% / 67%

In J I ran Movie Dolls and Animal Planet, missed one in Historic Telegrams and Travel & Tourism, two in Beef, and three in One Letter.

In DJ I missed one in Hard Stuff, two in Music of the 60s, Literary Terms, and Double R Words, and three in 4-Letter Cities and Women in the Bible.

FJ was an instaget.

TSes: (J had 4 + the DD; DJ had 4 + 1 DD) I got Heineken, Joseph McCarthy (DD), Robert Peary, elegy, ellipsis (DD).

Benjamin reminds me of a younger Buzzy Cohen.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2

The show is preempted here, so I just checked the archive.  Thankfully there weren't many clues with photos, and I didn't need to be able to see them to know the response.

The elegy TS surprised me.

I missed three in dolls, but if it hadn't been for that I'd have only missed one in the entire first round -- the Peary TS.

The only biblical woman I managed to guess correctly was Ruth.  The only thing I ran in DJ was literary terms, but I got all but one each in the rest (I thought for sure I was going to nail the '60s music category, but I joined the contestants in being stumped by "You're Sixteen"). 

And I knew FJ, so could have had an excellent game if I'd been able to swap out those two categories.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Tennessee should have given me FJ, but it didn't. My mind just went blank. It was awake for a bunch of TSs, though!  McCarthy, Peary, London broil, elegy, allusion, "You're Sixteen", and ellipsis. I would gladly trade them all for a single FJ response, though, to avoid what's looking to be a bagel week.

Today I listened for, and heard, the cheering at the beginning. It definitely ramped up when Ken entered the stage, but did not start with him.  I think somebody (*cough*MichaelDavies*cough*) invested in some new applause signs! And maybe a warm-up act?

"You're Sixteen", recorded by 33-year-old Ringo Starr:

And the original version, from the slightly younger (26) Johnny Burnette:

No, that's not creepy at all!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

I knew ellipsis, but for some reason, the way the clue was worded, I thought they wanted something else. It was confusing to me, somehow.

When we were around 10, some friends and I used to play the Ringo Starr version of that creepy as hell song during our lunch break at school, and dance to it and so on. It makes my skin crawl now, just thinking about it.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of Heineken, McCarthy, elegy, ellipsis, and corundum.

No one got Heineken despite my yelling it at them.  smh

I got FJ although it took a moment.  But the date for the law & trial made me think of the Scopes trial and since Tennessee law can be kinda backward in some ways, the date for the repeal didn't surprise me.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I knew "jawn" (triple stumper of I forget which day's show) solely because I watch Abbott Elementary, which is set in Philadelphia, and where the word has been explicitly used and discussed as a localism.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

June 7:

63% / 73% / 69%

Did better in the second round than the first! In J I ran TV Coupling, missed one in 4-Syllable Words, two in Rhythm and Mail, and three in 1990s and Michigan. In DJ I ran Dangerous Thing, missed one in Elements' Symbols and Movie's Opening Lines, and two in Biblical Geography, Americana, and A Little Knowledge.

FJ was an instaguess.

TSes: (J had 5 + the DD; DJ had 3 + 1 DD) I got pedestrian (DD), cadence, Bed Bath & Beyond, and wind shear.

• Like 1

First I said Chiang Kai Shek, then I said, no it's probably Mao Zedong, then I waffled between the two and laned on Mao.

I got the missed clues of pedestrian and Bed Bath & Beyond.

• Like 4

I went through so many mental gymnastics for FJ -- it was the famous trip to China!  It was the leader!  Deng Xiaoping!  No, wait, the other one!  What was his name?  Oh, right, Chairman Mao....um....Zedong, that's it!  

I also got the TS of Centennial Park, rhythm & blues, and boron.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I went through so many mental gymnastics for FJ -- it was the famous trip to China!  It was the leader!  Deng Xiaoping!  No, wait, the other one!  What was his name?  Oh, right, Chairman Mao....um....Zedong, that's it!  

It didn't come into play but IMO, Chairman Mao should have been an acceptable response.

Along those lines, because I'm old and remember the historic meeting, I got it right away, but I initially wrote down Mao Tse-Tung on my FJ scoresheet,  because that's how it was (incorrectly) spelled in the West at that time. Before 30 seconds ran out, I recognized my error and changed it to Zedong and I have to wonder if the archaic spelling would have been accepted. 

• Like 7
13 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

It didn't come into play but IMO, Chairman Mao should have been an acceptable response.

Along those lines, because I'm old and remember the historic meeting, I got it right away, but I initially wrote down Mao Tse-Tung on my FJ scoresheet,  because that's how it was (incorrectly) spelled in the West at that time. Before 30 seconds ran out, I recognized my error and changed it to Zedong and I have to wonder if the archaic spelling would have been accepted. 

With so many ways to spell that, both phonetically and historically,  I’m kind of surprised they went there with that FJ!

• Like 4

FJ was straightforward with the Vulcan saying "Only Nixon could go to China."

During this episode they aired an ad for Jeopardy listing the occupations of many contestants. Couldn't they find a butcher, a baker, and a candlestick maker?

• LOL 7
(edited)

I watched in bed with my cat (it has been a week, and I decided to end it early), so I didn't keep track, but I did fairly well.  FJ was an instaget, I didn't have any terrible categories other than the biblical one, and I got most of the TS -- looking that up, I indeed got all but one, "He Kept Us Out of War".

2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Ken kept saying it, so I figure they'd intended to accept it had anyone responded that way (as they should; it's correct).

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3

Why did they accept just "Zhedong" for FJ?  Wouldn't that be like accepting "George" for the first president of the US?  It didn't affect the results, but ...

• Like 3