Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was stumped for FJ!, then OMITB came to me. Then I reread the clue and thought, the building name’s not in the title, so that can’t be it. But since I didn’t erase my “wrong” response before I came with a better one, I’m taking credit!  Still trying to parse that clue in my head, though. 

Add me to the club of confusion about the name of the building being in the title.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

Add me to the club of confusion about the name of the building being in the title.

I parsed it as meaning 'the Building' as the building referred to in the title 'only murders in the building' is really the Belnord not the fictional 'Arconia'

Also, I wanted to say before but forgot, the clue about the Punic Wars made me laugh because there was a clue about them the other day on my calendar Jeopardy and I had just told the people that I send the clues and guess with that I had a specific memory of my middle school history book where the left hand page had a map of the Mediterranean on the bottom 2/3rds of the page with a couple of paragraphs about the Punic Wars above it. I think I've gotten almost every question about them right for the past 57 yrs or so based on that one memory.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, chicagofan said:

When I saw the category for FJ I thought "I'm screwed". I only have antenna TV - no streaming, etc. so I wasn't hopeful that I'd know something about 2020s Television. But I guess cultural osmosis was my friend today as I came up with Only Murders in rhe Building almost immediately. Go figure.

I'm in the same situation, including the cultural osmosis.  I am sometimes annoyed when an antenna-TV station runs promos for shows on cable or streaming, but this time it was useful.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Me too. And because of that I was totally lost. I’m sure it didn’t help that I’ve never heard of the Belnord, so I couldn’t even narrow down the type of building. (For whatever reason, I was leaning toward hospitals.) By the way, I’ve seen all seasons of Only Murders. Gah.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
30 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Me too. And because of that I was totally lost. I’m sure it didn’t help that I’ve never heard of the Belnord, so I couldn’t even narrow down the type of building. (For whatever reason, I was leaning toward hospitals.) By the way, I’ve seen all seasons of Only Murders. Gah.

Not leaning toward hospitals, but I agree with every word. I went with "The Continental", since I believe it's set in NY (at least the building they used for the movies was in NY). I, too, expected an actual building name in the title!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

I’m sure it didn’t help that I’ve never heard of the Belnord, so I couldn’t even narrow down the type of building. (For whatever reason, I was leaning toward hospitals.)

Bellevue?
😉

1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

By the way, I’ve seen all seasons of Only Murders. Gah.

The Belnord came up in the OMITB Small Talk thread: forums.primetimer.com/topic/110606-small-talk-elevator-chat

• Like 1
14 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I parsed it as meaning 'the Building' as the building referred to in the title 'only murders in the building' is really the Belnord not the fictional 'Arconia'

Also, I wanted to say before but forgot, the clue about the Punic Wars made me laugh because there was a clue about them the other day on my calendar Jeopardy and I had just told the people that I send the clues and guess with that I had a specific memory of my middle school history book where the left hand page had a map of the Mediterranean on the bottom 2/3rds of the page with a couple of paragraphs about the Punic Wars above it. I think I've gotten almost every question about them right for the past 57 yrs or so based on that one memory.

That's the way I took the FJ - probably more because I figured there were many other shows with buildings in them that I've never seen, but I did se OMITB, so I went with it.

You are describing almost exactly what I used to call my imperfect photographic memory when I was in school - I'd remember the page in that kind of detail - except for the bit where the answer was. 🤣

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
16 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

You are describing almost exactly what I used to call my imperfect photographic memory when I was in school - I'd remember the page in that kind of detail - except for the bit where the answer was. 🤣

I would find library books that I wanted to re-read that way, I'd remember it was in this stack, facing this way, in this section- so much easier than remembering author/title! s/ 😜

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Another decent game today. In the J round I got 4 in "Real Men of Science", "Watery Songs", "I Just Want a Lover..." and "What Do I "Get". TSs were House of the Seven Gables and Hull House (which makes this Chicagoan sad).

In DJ I ran "Hodgepodge" and "Classic Comic Strips". TSs/missed DDs were Pope John Paul I, Pogo and couscous (DD).

Missed my first FJ of the week. I knew it was animal, but I couldn't get past thinking about dogs to get to horses, which in hindsight makes sense.

Interesting timing - Kevin McCarthy is a response on the day he announces that he's leaving Congress.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I would find library books that I wanted to re-read that way, I'd remember it was in this stack, facing this way, in this section- so much easier than remembering author/title! s/ 😜

Same here… I read constantly in my pre-teen/ years, sometimes a book a day. I didn’t always remember the titles or authors, but I knew exactly where they were stacked. Then one day, I went to the library wanting to re-read a book I had loved years before. I hadn’t visited in a month or so, and in the interim they had rearranged the entire library. I never found that book again. 😭

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I said Secretariat.  I at least have the solace of it being a better answer than Will Rogers.   I loved both the book and movie Seabiscuit.

I got the missed clues of Hull House, House of 7 Gables, and Pogo.

I got the entire categories of get and comics right.

I've had better nights.

• Like 3

December 6:

70% / 63% / 67%

Not a great game (though I've certainly had worse). I blame the migraine that sent me home from work early (got home around 3, went to bed, and woke up 15 minutes before the show started). Ran House Party, missed one in Real Men of Science and What Do I "Get"; two in Watery Songs and Out of Con Text, and three in I Just Want a Lover Like Any Other. In DJ I missed one each in Double Talk and Classic Comic Strips, two in Hodgepodge, African Cuisine, and Dewey, and three in Decimals.

Did not get FJ. I figured it was probably a racehorse, but the only one I could think of was Secretariat, and I knew he was in the 70s (born in 1970 and died in 1989).

TSes: (J had 2 + the DD; DJ had 5 + 1DD) I got Hull House, House of the Seven Gables, and couscous (DD).

Is it just me or do they seem to have eased up on the "say the whole category name" rule?

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
15 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Is it just me or do they seem to have eased up on the "say the whole category name" rule?

Either that or the contestants are rebelling!

I did not get FJ got stuck on bulls but couldn't think of a famous one. TSs were House of the Seven Gables, Hull House, corn, John Paul I, and the missed DD couscous.

• Like 4

It took me a second, and I wasn't confident, but I did get FJ.  I figured it had to be an animal, and a racehorse seemed likely.  I ruled out Secretariat because of the dates, and the only other famous racehorse I could think of was Seabiscuit.  Will Rogers (really, any human) was a spectacularly bad answer -- father of 100 and died at 14?  

I also got the TS of House of the Seven Gables, Pogo, couscous, and corn.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Well, I at least clued in that it wasn't a human ;)

Didn't get any further than that!

My non-human guess was Rin Tin Tin.  

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I said Secretariat.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Did not get FJ. I figured it was probably a racehorse, but the only one I could think of was Secretariat, and I knew he was in the 70s (born in 1970 and died in 1989).

I bemoaned:
What is that horse that begins with an "S"?

TSs: Hull House and Zeroes
Missed DD: couscous

• Like 4

Wow I had not a clue for FJ. I never made the realization that it was an animal and could not think of what human would have fathered 100 kids by age 14. All I could think was maybe some kind of Middle Eastern prince? Or an emperor somewhere? As soon as the answered was revealed it was a real head-smacking “duh! Of course!” moment.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, illdoc said:

Not leaning toward hospitals, but I agree with every word. I went with "The Continental", since I believe it's set in NY (at least the building they used for the movies was in NY). I, too, expected an actual building name in the title!

Distracted by the year 1908, I thought I was looking for a period piece at first and smugly reached for that show with the rich aunts and Meryl Streep's daughter, only to realize that the title The Gilded Age is not a building. But miraculously I was able to then access Only Murders in the Building while disapprovingly thinking that the building wasn't in the name.

I thought the Phoenician/Punic clue was weird because the Greek (Phoenix) is simply much closer to Phoenician. I would have just said it was Latin for Phoenician.

Ken seemed to rule against incorrect responses in a couple of cases before time was up even though the "wrong" response included the first part of the right response: Louisville [Slugger] and America [the Beautiful]. I thought the rule was that if the person hadn't said anything wrong yet they were given until time was up to realize they were missing something and add it. Maybe it's only if they haven't been told no yet and the audience can't tell that it's because the judges haven't given the thumbs down but there have definitely been cases where the host pauses and the contestant does add info.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Ken seemed to rule against incorrect responses in a couple of cases before time was up even though the "wrong" response included the first part of the right response: Louisville [Slugger] and America [the Beautiful].

I thought he did pause after those two, and when nothing else was said ruled them incorrect.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

America [the Beautiful].

Except that "America" and "America the Beautiful" are two different songs! I think he paused after that one in case the contestant added the "the Beautiful" part. I also think he paused after "Louisville" for a similar reason, as well as double-checking as to whether the clue referred to the bat or the city.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I've been watching Masterminds on GSN. When was Ryan Chaffee on Jeopardy? Monica who was part of Ken's winning team is also one of the Masterminds.

Ryan was on the show in 2010, according to J-Archive.

Fellow Masterminds Jonathan Corbblah and Muffy Marracco (under the name Muffy Morris) were also Jeopardy contestants.

• Like 1

Feast or famine today - I either did well in a category (4/5 correct) or horribly (1/2 correct). Blech!

In the J round I ran "Fire Place" and got 4 in "On the "T"able" and "4 Your Consideration". Got the TSs of Cherokee and sprinkle.

In DJ I ran "During Lou Gehring's Consecutive Game Streak" and got 4 in "It's Raining Mensa". One TS - Maggie May the force be with you.

I had no idea for FJ. While I've heard of Esperanto I never would have come up with it.

• Like 2

December 7:

50% / 57% / 54%

Abysmal game…in J! I ran 4 Your Consideration, missed two in Oklahoma! and Fire Place, three in On the "T"able and Donut Shop Dictionary, and completely failed Super Bowl Stars (not surprising). DJ was only slightly better…missed one in Mensa, two in Greek Alphabet Puzzlers, Amphibians, and Star Wars Before & After, and three in During Lou Gehrig's Game Streak and Labor Unions.

But I got FJ! Just sorta threw it out there (with a huge question mark) after rereading the clue and then thinking a few seconds.

TSes:  (J had 5; DJ had 6 + 1DD) I got theta waves, Cherokee, Goliath frog (DD), University Professors, and Maggie May the Force Be With You.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2

I just stared at the question in befuddlement and said Portuguese when the time ran out.

I got the missed clues of sprinkle, Pacific Princess Leia and Goliath frog. 

I got the entire category of fire place right.

An even worse night than last night.  Being unemployed is really draining my brain power apparently.

• Hugs 4

FJ made me feel like an idiot, because I could not begin to parse what they were going for. I guess it’s appropriate that the category was “languages”, because the entire clue felt like it was written in a foreign one.

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
24 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

FJ made me feel like an idiot, because I could not begin to parse what they were going for. I guess it’s appropriate that the category was “languages”, because the entire clue felt like it was written in a foreign one.

My first reaction to hearing the clue was "huh?"

• Like 10
On 12/6/2023 at 4:31 PM, Katy M said:

I said Secretariat.  I at least have the solace of it being a better answer than Will Rogers.   I loved both the book and movie Seabiscuit.

I said Secretariat as well - I only know that they're famous horses and have no real concept of their timelines (even though I did watch Seabiscuit).

On 12/6/2023 at 6:33 PM, shapeshifter said:

I bemoaned:
What is that horse that begins with an "S"?

I get that - I topped at the first "S" I could remember, and said to myself that at least I was close - they both start with "Se." LOL.

FJ was definitely confusing, Esperanto entered my head briefly, but I dismissed it thinking that it was developed well after Lillian Gish and silent films.

• Like 5

Went into last night's FJ 3/3 for the week, hoping to keep the streak going. Didn't understand the clue upon first reading, read it a few more times, and by the end of the think music had come up with Greek. I thought it was a reasonably good guess, maybe even the right one! Yaay, 4/4!!

Except not. Oh well. I'll be at least 3/5 this week. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
34 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Went into last night's FJ 3/3 for the week, hoping to keep the streak going. Didn't understand the clue upon first reading, read it a few more times, and by the end of the think music had come up with Greek.

For FJ I thought it was something like Lingua Franca which is what I said.

Got sprinkles and jelly 😁. I said ship captains for the 'log' clue, do you think that would've been accepted?

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I said ship captains for the 'log' clue, do you think that would've been accepted?

I'm guessing not, because the clue referred to "a union of these", and if the captains are even members of that union, I can't imagine it's exclusively them.  

Mostly high notes to end the week. In the J round I got 4 in "Organ Recital", "We're Talking Baseball", "The Ivy League" and "Geographic Titles". TSs were Leo Durocher (I am old, so this Cub fan was around to remember him managing the Cubs in the 60s and early 70s) and diamondback.

Did even better in DJ where I only missed 4 clues. I ran "Organ Recital", "Classic Movie Original Dialogue?", "Car"eer" Opportunities" and "Words from Arabic" and got 4 in "Working on a Building". Plus I got the lone TS of Riverside Church.

Only downer was missing FJ. I wasn't particularly hopeful when I saw the category since I never really studied Ancient History and didn't know the spear reference. Oh well.

Did anyone else pick up on what Ken said at the end of the J round? Carmela had answered the last clue in the round with (Pete) Rose in the "We're Talking Baseball" category and Ken said "I'm betting you're right". I wonder if he came up with that on his own or if someone fed that remark to him - either way it made me chuckle.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

December 8:

77% / 77% / 77%

Pretty good J! round, despite I almost tanking the sports category (thank you, Pete Rose, though I'm not even sure how I knew that one). Ran Organ Recital and Olive Me, missed one in The Ivy League, Geographic Titles, and Easy as ABC, and four in Baseball.

In DJ I ran Classic Movie Original Dialogue?, missed one in Car"eer" Opportunities, A Muse Me, and Words from Arabic, and two in Organ Recital and Working on a Building.

I got FJ; sort of a guess after thinking about it for half the music…

TSes: (J had 3 + the DD; DJ had 1) I got acidity (well, I said acid but close enough).

• Like 3

I said Genghis Khan.  He's just who I associate with Asian conquest. I didn't think it was right.  I almost said Atilla the Hun. Alexander never entered my mind.

I didn't get any missed clues.

I got the entire categories of Ivy league and careers right.  How ironic from the unemployed old lady.

I did much better tonight, with several categories only missing one.  I thought I was going to get all of baseball wrong, but Pete Rose saved me.

• Like 3

I got Alexander right away. My TSs were Leo Durocher (go Cubs!, he was the manager when I was a teen and just getting into baseball), and diamondback. Got all the movie dialogue and 'eers'.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I said "privateer" instead of "buccaneer" -- do you think it would have been accepted?

Well, the first line of the wikipedia entry for buccaneer is "Buccaneers were a kind of privateers or free sailors[further explanation needed] particular to the Caribbean Sea during the 17th and 18th centuries."

So a buccaneer is a privateer, but a privateer isn't specific to the Caribbean... the clue was "It's another term for a 17th century pirate of the Caribbean." So technically it doesn't fit...though it might depend on how lenient the judges were feeling that day...never know anymore.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
14 hours ago, chicagofan said:

"I'm betting you're right". I wonder if he came up with that on his own or if someone fed that remark to him - either way it made me chuckle.

I’m betting it was Ken. He’s pretty quick with a quip.

I had no idea for FJ. I spent a lot of time staring at “spear-won”, thinking would give a clue to the land’s name, but got nowhere. As I often do, I just overthought it. 

• Like 6

Tidbits from Thurs. & Fri.:

Mom would have been proud of me for instagetting Leo Durocher, except she would have said his name an instant before me, even when she was 90 and barely able to speak.

I also got the TS of diamondback. 

I'm embarrassed to admit I knew Buccaneer from watching that wretched Apple TV version of The Buccaneers currently streaming.

I would never have come up with Esperanto, but it was one of those "O-o-o-h" reveals.

• Like 3
On 12/8/2023 at 7:33 PM, Katy M said:

I said Genghis Khan.  He's just who I associate with Asian conquest. I didn't think it was right.  I almost said Atilla the Hun. Alexander never entered my mind.

Achilles put Alexander in my mind right away and I assumed it would have to be a conqueror coming from outside Asia (so not Genghis Khan).

On 12/8/2023 at 1:08 PM, dgpolo said:

For FJ I thought it was something like Lingua Franca which is what I said.

I said lingua franca as well and spent the rest of the think music gnashing my teeth and cursing because I was so sure it was right and that the category and the clue were both terrible. When they revealed that Esperanto was correct I conceded that the category was OK but still think that the clue was pretty bad. 

I was also enraged by "cyclone" in the Greek letters category. I recognized ψ right away as psi and was trying to come up with words or phrases containing -ps-, not cy-.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 1

Meh - that pretty much sums up today's game, especially after Friday's great game. In the J round I got 4 in "Got Your Name Tag?" and "Circle Time". "The Music of Canada" was a complete disaster, and "Hydrology" wasn't much better.

Did a little better in DJ. Ran "Crafts" and got 4 in "Directors' First Feature". Got 2 TSs - Clint Eastwood and (Francois) Truffaut.

Good start to the week of FJs. I've never read anything by Orwell, but as I heard/read the clue, 1984 (and therefore Orwell) immediately popped into my head. Yay!

• Like 4

December 11:

77% / 60% / 69%

Started off pretty strong…ran Music of Canada and F-Stop, missed one in Got Your Name Tag and Circle Time, two in Hydrology, and three in Geneva Convention.

Not so great in the second round…ran Crafts, missed two in Country's Unknown Soldier, 7 Deadly Sin-onyms, Home on the Range, and Arts, and four in Directors' First Feature.

But I got FJ...almost an instaget... (I haven't read him, either.)

TSes: (J had 3; DJ had 4 +1 DD) I got Bryan Adams and Antarctic Circle.

• Like 3

I had to think a few seconds for FJ, but I got it in time.  I haven't read him either, but I feel like I have -- cultural osmosis, I guess.

I also got the TS of Bryan Adams, Antarctic Circle, desire, and Clint Eastwood.

• Like 4

I recognized Bryan Adams but I was surprised they described him as being from Ontario. I associate him with Vancouver.

I did not know what they were getting at with the clue for greed -- why was the insurance gecko relevant?

The nametag category was a weird choice. Why don't they want us reading the words in the clue?

I got FJ immediately because I knew 1984 was named by flipping 1948.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Removing unintended underline
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1