Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Thanks for the applause! I knew it was wrong, but my mind was otherwise blank. My husband, who eschews most TV apparently knows Succession was about Murdoch (which I did not). So he got it. Sigh...

I know mostly because The Late Show had several of the cast members on before the finale so I got the gist.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I said Matlock for FJ, too.  I've heard of "Succession", but I had no idea what it was about.  I would never have thought of it.

Ditto on all points.

My first response of course was Murdoch Mysteries but I was pretty sure that wasn't it.

My only ts's were Rhode Island Red and nobble/noble - I knew nobble from all the English mysteries I read.

• Like 2

For FJ, I very confidently said, The A-Team and was shocked when Succession was announced as the answer. I'm a huge fan of Succession and am well aware that Logan Roy is loosely based on Rupert Murdoch, but my mind never went there. I try to keep Rupert Murdoch OUT of my mind, not the other way around! Daredevil was a good guess, too. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I try to keep Rupert Murdoch OUT of my mind, not the other way around!

Same.  I came across the FJ clue elsewhere this morning, and "Murdoch" immediately made me think of Rupert -- which is not how I want to start any day. 

But I couldn't think of any TV series about that evil empire.  I've heard of Succession, as it's been referenced in discussion of The Fall of the House of Usher (the new - and fantastic! - Netflix series, not the Poe book from which it gets its name), but no specifics, just that they're both about families who are as awful as they are wealthy and powerful.  The TV Usher family stands in for the Sacklers, but I never registered that the Succession family was also based on a real one, and certainly never saw the Murdochs mentioned, so it didn't even come to mind when trying to think of a show about the Fox fuckwits.  I had no guess.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Decent J round - DJ could have been better. Seemed like there were a handful of clues I should have gotten but didn't. I saw Woody Harrelson's face in front of me but couldn't spit out his name (the guy from Cheers), and I picked the wrong Hemsworth.

Anyway, in the J round I ran "Sportstalk" and "Pasta Shapes" and got 4 in "Onamatopoeia". I thought that "Pasta Shapes" was a fun category - was waiting for a clue about Farfalle/bow ties, but alas no. TSs/missed DDs were Bel Canto (DD), soccer, hanging and poison.

In DJ I got 4 in "Belgium" and "Tag", You're It". TSs were bicycle racing and TAG Heuer.

Got my 2nd FJ of the week. At first nothing was coming to me, but then 'blue eyes' made me think Frank Sinatra. Then I saw that while the FJ category was Musicians, the clue said this 'singer', so I went with it.

• Like 2

November 22:

53% / 70% / 62%

J was Terrible. Ran Onomatopoeia, missed one in Pasta Shapes, four in Instrument of Death, and three each in the rest.

DJ was barely decent. Ran 18th Century Tech and "Tag" You're It, missed three in Belgium and two each in the rest.

FJ was an almost-instaget. First my brain went to Tony Bennett for some reason but I quickly corrected because he's not Old Blue Eyes.

TSes: (J had 4 + the DD; DJ had 5+ 1DD) I got Bel Canto (DD), Cate Blanchet, James Watt, and TAG Heuer (and Queensland, but not Northern Territories.)

Gotta go bake* a pie. If there's any leftover I'll bring it to the FJ party this weekend.

*notice I said "bake" not "make" ;-) 

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

Ugh. 
3 weeks since my last FJ.
Frank Sinatra came to mind quickly because Mom always referred to him and Dad interchangeably as "Old Blue Eyes."
But I went with Andy Williams.

My measly TSs were: 
Yesterday: Iran
Today: Poison

But it's not about me. 
I've been really enjoying these Second Chancers with their camaraderie and good sportsmanship. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2
58 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Gotta go bake* a pie. If there's any leftover I'll bring it to the FJ party this weekend.

*notice I said "bake" not "make" ;-) 

Inquiring minds want to know - what kind of pie? Pie in general is a good thing but I do have my favorites. Can I bring ice cream or whipped cream?

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

And both went with David Bowie -- who I think had heterochromia so only one blue eye.

I just googled this after the game, because I thought the same thing. Apparently he actually had something called anisocoria, caused by an injury that paralyzed the muscles that contract the iris: "Bowie's eyes were blue. But because the pupil in his left eye was so large, it appeared black and made it look as though his eyes were different colors."

• Like 3
  • Useful 9
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

image.png.5fb21540129b2d4d43cb4b65f8b845f4.png

Is this any good?  I imagine it as sickeningly sweet and cinnamony.  (I'm very un-American in my apple pie tastes and like them tart with no cinnamon but lots of custard and stinky blue cheese).

10 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Is this any good?  I imagine it as sickeningly sweet and cinnamony.  (I'm very un-American in my apple pie tastes and like them tart with no cinnamon but lots of custard and stinky blue cheese).

I haven't had this one before, last time I needed pie I got their Dutch apple (which has a crumb topping). Not sure if the filling will be any different and it was pretty sweet as I recall. But I liked it. (Edit: according to the facebook memory that popped up this morning, it was actually Sara Lee Dutch Apple last year.)

I wanted one from a local orchard store but they didn't have any left. All they had was chocolate-chip pecan (I don't eat nuts anymore and I never liked pecan pie, anyway), and coconut cream, which I wouldn't eat and also doesn't exactly say "Thanksgiving" to me, and I think some pumpkin, which I'm not really a fan of. 

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1

A decent game for me tonight.  I got the ts's or missed DDs of hanging, poison, Bambi, and bicycle racing. 

I knew bel canto but couldn't pull it out in time - I was still laughing at Nick's disgusted "Opera!" in a book category.

FJ was an instaget, my first FJ of the week. I was surprised that two players said David Bowie - I never knew he had only one blue eye so that was interesting to learn.

I've never had a Marie Callender apple pie but her meat pies are not bad.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, Trey said:

I've never had a Marie Callender apple pie 

Well, since Facebook reminded me it was actually Sara Lee, I guess I haven't, either. I'll let y'all know how it is tomorrow in the contest thread.

• Like 2

Yesterday's FJ was one of those "blue eyes? Has to be Frank Sinatra. Wait a dad-blastin'minute... that's WAY too easy... where's the trick? *reads the clue again...* Nope, not second guessing my gut. I'm sticking with ol' blue eyes. (Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm not.)

Off topic: Happy Thanksgiving to all my USA friends!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, Bliss said:

that's WAY too easy... where's the trick?

I had the same reaction, but I have second guessed myself into wrong answers too many times, so I stuck with Sinatra.  Remember James H's recommendation of reading nonfiction books written for children.

• Like 3

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Don't know how I feel about today's game. Had a good J round - ran "Put Me In" and got 4 in "The "A" List", "Biblical Zoo" and "They Come in Sevens". No TSs cuz there weren't any. O.k. but not great DJ. I got 4 in "Nordic Literature" and "____ of ____". Didn't get any of the 3 TSs.

I feel so stupid about FJ. Ozone popped into my head and wouldn't leave. I did think sun = helios, but did that get me to helium? Noooo!

Guess Ed should have worn another bow tie.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 2

My cat is kindly asking me to STOP singing the Animaniacs theme. RIGHT NOW, please. Bad enough the washer & dryer are going full blast, now she has to listen to singing? How's a feline supposed to get a nap?

I got FJ even while singing about baloney in our slacks. Of course, I always have to say "helium" in a high pitched voice, like here:

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, chicagofan said:

Guess Ed should have worn another bow tie.

The tie he had on was gorgeous even if ultimately unlucky for him.

I said helium even though I don't think of Helios as an "old" word in English but rather a Greek word. But I didn't have any other prospects.

• Like 4

November 23:

80% / 73% / 77%

Would have had an almost perfect round if I knew anything about sports coaches…ran The "A" List, Biblical Zoo, Watchamacallit, and Put Me In, missed one in They Come In Sevens, and completely tanked Coach.

Not bad in DJ…ran __of__, missed one in Nordic Literature, Cartoon Theme Songs, and Name that Rebellion, two in Architecture, and three in Oxymorons.

FJ was an instaget.

TSes: (J had 0; DJ had 3) I got The Hague.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I don't think of Helios as an "old" word in English but rather a Greek word

That was my thinking too so I went with Sol - however that didn't get me anywhere.  I should have gone back to Helios but I didn't.

• Like 2

November 24:

Had to watch on Youtube; stupid college foosball.

77% / 53% / 64%

Again…decent first round, terrible second. In J! I ran Sign O' the Times, missed three in I'd Like a Drink (oddly, I usually do better in booze categories despite the fact that I'm not much of a drinker), and one each in everything else. In DJ I ran Possessive Book Titles and "A"djectives, missed two in Nashville Geographic, three in Fictional Movie Bands (That Thing You Do! was my first thought when I saw the category so I was glad it was a clue), four in An American in Paris, and I apparently know nothing about Chess.

Did not get FJ and felt mighty dumb when it was revealed.

TSes: J! had 0 TSes again; DJ had 3. I didn't get any of them.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 4
15 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Are we finally on currently written clues?  I fail to see how today's FJ could be an old, recycled clue.

I did a little googling and saw an article that started with "Jeopardy! writers are back to work after five months on strike..." dated October 4th; this game was taped on the 19th, so it's possible. But also Netflix actually tweeted that quote on April 18th, so they could have written the clue at the time... (maybe planning to save it for after September; don't know if they bank clues months in advance like that).

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Are we finally on currently written clues?  I fail to see how today's FJ could be an old, recycled clue.

No, games taped during the strike don't run out until 12/18.

As someone who still had the Netflix DVD service until its final day (which is why I was emailed the FJ clue by a friend), I can tell you they made the announcement many, many months in advance of the September end date (and kept emailing us reminders) -- the announcement was first made back in April (thanks to ams for looking that up so I didn't have to), and the strike didn't start until May. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
On 11/22/2023 at 12:48 PM, Bastet said:

But I couldn't think of any TV series about that evil empire.  I've heard of Succession, as it's been referenced in discussion of The Fall of the House of Usher (the new - and fantastic! - Netflix series, not the Poe book from which it gets its name), but no specifics, just that they're both about families who are as awful as they are wealthy and powerful. 

At first I wasn't interested in Usher, for the reason that they were all awful (except for one). But after watching a couple, I ended up binging it. It was indeed fantastic!

On 11/22/2023 at 5:03 PM, shapeshifter said:

I've been really enjoying these Second Chancers with their camaraderie and good sportsmanship. 

Me too!

On 11/23/2023 at 4:03 PM, chicagofan said:

I feel so stupid about FJ. Ozone popped into my head and wouldn't leave. I did think sun = helios, but did that get me to helium?

I finally got Helios into my brain after a question about it a few weeks ago. So for once, I was able to make the connection. I felt very smart. LOL

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Finally had a chance to watch Friday's game - also preempted here by college football. Good J round - not so good DJ.

In the J round I got 4 in "Tips from the Ancients", "Famous Gingers", "Sign O' the Times" and "I'd Like a Drink". In DJ I got 4 in "Nashville Geographic", "Possessive Book Titles" and "An American in Paris". No TSs.

No FJ - could have had all the time in the world and wouldn't have come up with it. Somehow it doesn't bother me as much when I don't get FJ if it's something I know I don't know.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 11/23/2023 at 10:02 AM, Trey said:

I've never had a Marie Callender apple pie but her meat pies are not bad.

I don’t eat a lot of pies, but I can safely say that any pie I’ve baked in the last 30 years was first made by Marie. I’m not a fan of the crumb topped ones (too sugary), but I like all the ones with regular crusts. Just had a pumpkin, because it’s my favorite flavor and no way am I passing up the perfect excuse to indulge.

My local station did not air any episodes on Thursday or Friday, so after coming here and realizing games were played (but before reading any comments) I went to j-archive so I could at least play FJ. Maybe I should do that more often, because both were instagets. And I’ve never even gotten an envelope from Netflix, so I wasn’t sure of the color. I just knew they recently stopped the mail side of their business. Sun just made me think Helios, so that was easy. I’m probably lucky I didn’t think of Ra, or I might have gone with radium.

On 11/22/2023 at 8:48 PM, ams1001 said:

"Bowie's eyes were blue. But because the pupil in his left eye was so large, it appeared black and made it look as though his eyes were different colors."

Interesting, because I’ve always thought he had one blue eye and one brown, based on photos I’ve seen. But upon closer inspection, you can see that it’s just an illusion— both eyes are blue. I never even noticed that the pupils were different sizes, but apparently the larger one was unable to refract light in a normal way and that’s what created the illusion. It’s like he was living with the blue dress/gold dress dilemma, right there on his face!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
On 11/25/2023 at 7:46 PM, chicagofan said:

No FJ - could have had all the time in the world and wouldn't have come up with it. Somehow it doesn't bother me as much when I don't get FJ if it's something I know I don't know.

I tried to think of a business I associate with the colour red  and rejected Elizabeth Arden's door. Red envelopes only made me think of the Lunar New Year which didn't seem relevant. I subscribe to Netflix's streaming service but it never really registered with me that they use red. I have never seen a physical Netflix envelope and if you had asked me when they stopped mailing DVDs I would have guessed nothing less than 5 years ago, probably more. 

• Like 2

November 27:

67% / 63% / 64%

Not a great start to the week…missed one in Women in Science and Ribs, and two in everything else. In DJ I ran Everybody Loves Raiment, missed one in Letter Histories and Triple Rhyme Time, and three in everything else.

Did not get FJ. Was so obvious once they said it!

TSes: (J had 3; DJ had 5 + 1DD) I got "The Lord is my shepherd", the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Strauss.

• Like 2

I didn't get FJ tonight, but I did the V-8 forehead slap when the correct response was revealed.  So obvious!  I said Bath because of the water part of the clue.

The only TS I got were "The Lord is my shepherd", burrata, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

• Like 4

My 26-day FJ losing streak is over!👏image.png.b7654fa4d6742fadd4d8dd6fff2f55be.png
When I saw the category was BRITISH CITIES, I was sure it was hopeless.
But thanks to:

• A nap,
  • calming myself down enough to realize my only way out of this losing streak was to find clues in the words of the clue,
  • being able to loosely translate "Fortis est Veritas" to Strength is Truth
    (as in "strong as an ox"),
  • "beast of burden" + many NY Times crosswords gave me Ox or Oxen
  • and apparently I do know a few British cities besides London and Bath (as in Jane Austen) including 
    🥁
    Oxford
    — the place where students smart enough to make good decisions go to college.

Like the 3 champs, I got 2-4 in THE 23rd PSALM but did not come up with "The Lord is my shepherd" in time.

I got 1-4 in EVERYBODY LOVES RAIMENT. I love that the unlikely-appearing Nick is a fashion nerd. He ran a similar category in another game, right?

Speaking of fashion, Dennis's subtly sparkly shirt and bow tie were perfection.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 9
  • Applause 2
Just now, Browncoat said:

I said Bath because of the water part of the clue.

My mind went in the direction of the [Town]-upon-[River] formula for naming British towns, so I was thinking Stratford-upon-Avon (because it was the only one that came to mind and then it got stuck there) but that didn't make sense with the beast of burden part of the clue.

• Like 4

I thought Cowbridge close to where I lived but it's nowhere near being a city. You would think having thought that it would have led me to the answer but I couldn't get a cow out of my head, even knowing it wasn't right.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1

Archive game for me yesterday since I spent way too much time at the eye doctor's office. Didn't check until today since my vision was wonkier than usual afterwards.

So so game. In the J round I ran "The 23rd Psalm" and got 4 in "Ribs". One TS - The Lord Is My Shepherd. In DJ I ran "Triple Rhyme Time" and got 4 in "Letter Histories" and "Everybody Loves Raiment". 2 TSs - Metropolitan Museum of Art and shirt dirt alert.

Didn't get FJ. A big duh! once Oxford was revealed. Just didn't put it together - beast of burden = ox + crossing over water = ford. Again, duh!

• Like 5