Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 7/31/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, July 31 — Asi Wind (off-Broadway’s “Asi Wind’s Inner Circle”); “The Ladies Get Lit” continues with the co-hosts’ favorite summer reads 

Tuesday, Aug. 1 — Deena Nicole Cortese, Jenni “JWOWW” Farley, Sammi “Sweetheart” Giancola, Vinny Guadagnino, Angela Pivarnick, Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi, Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino (“Jersey Shore: Family Vacation”); “The Ladies Get Lit” 

Wednesday, Aug. 2 — Former “Bachelorette” Gabby Windey; chef Marcus Samuelsson; “The Ladies Get Lit” 

Thursday, Aug. 3 — Neil deGrasse Tyson; “Rock and Roll Man” performance  

Friday, Aug. 4 – Season 26 of “The View” concludes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I'm holding out hope Alyssa will recommend a fun book for adults that isn't political, for kids, nor is non fiction.  

Will she recommend Sunny's book to get on her good side?😁

• LOL 1
20 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I'm holding out hope Alyssa will recommend a fun book for adults that isn't political, for kids, nor is non fiction.  

Yeah I've been underwhelmed by the selections so far. I look forward to this every summer and so far the only book I want to read is Whoopi's selection Guncle.  I was already aware of it and  have had it on my saved list at the library forever. Just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

On 7/29/2023 at 8:13 AM, Haleth said:

Meh.  Let's hope and pray the strike settles before they come back in Sept!

If it hasn't been settled I guess it will be more reality show personalities.

(edited)

Maybe I'm (too) cynical, but how can Sunny keep a straight face when she asks how an immoral person could lead the country? 

Ana - again with the drag queens - I really wish she'd come up with another complaint, because at this point the drag queen comment is getting old. I'm sure that De Santis must have been doing other things to call out.

Edited by KittyQ
3 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Ana - again with the drag queens - I really wish she'd come up with another complaint, because at this point the drag queen comment is getting old. 

I guess it isn't getting old with drag queens who are being beset with anti-drag legislation in many states including Florida.  I hope Ana never shuts up!

• Like 16
  • Applause 3
5 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yeah I've been underwhelmed by the selections so far. I look forward to this every summer and so far the only book I want to read is Whoopi's selection Guncle.  I was already aware of it and  have had it on my saved list at the library forever. Just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

If it hasn't been settled I guess it will be more reality show personalities.

I thought Ladies Get Lit was interesting the first couple years they did it but now it's pretty boring because (except for Whoopi) they all choose the same types of books every year.  Sarah recommends children's books (always picture books, which is odd considering that her oldest is old enough for smaller chapter books), Ana picks Hispanic authors (and she's only done this twice and picked Isabel Allende both times.  I mean, she's a good author but she's known.  Why not highlight a Hispanic author who actually needs some press?), Sunny picks her own book and Joy picks a classic.  Whoopi's the only one who picks books from a variety of genres every year.  I get that people have their favorites and preferences but I feel that they could try to switch it up a little.  We'll see what Alyssa picks.  I'm kinda hoping it's something completely out of left field, such as paranormal erotica or the complete history of ice cream.  LOL.  

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

We'll see what Alyssa picks.  I'm kinda hoping it's something completely out of left field, such as paranormal erotica

Well, we did find out last week that she likes to be pushed up against a wall!😏

We'll see what Alyssa picks.  I'm kinda hoping it's something completely out of left field, such as paranormal erotica or the complete history of ice cream.  LOL.  

That is also on my saved list at the library.  LOL

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yeah I've been underwhelmed by the selections so far. I look forward to this every summer and so far the only book I want to read is Whoopi's selection Guncle. 

That was the only one that caught my attention from last week, too, just from how she described that she's gone back to it many times. But I thought Ana's books this morning sounded worth reading. Joy's picks probably weren't as interesting to me as usual, but she does the Banned Book audience giveaway every Friday with a great book or classic already (The Kite Runner being the latest one) whereas the others only have to pick out a few books the one time.

I actually thought Ana was the best one this morning even with the book picks aside. I couldn't take the magic segment though.

• Like 2

Why don’t interviewers ever correct DeSantis about how to pronounce the VP’s name?

Of course Sunny pushes her own book.

Dont care about Jersey Shore. Click. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 3
20 minutes ago, geekburger said:

Does Whoopi think Paul Rubens name is actually Pee Wee Herman?

I always made it a point to refer to him as Paul Reubens. When I saw he died  I texted one of my best friends to tell him and I said Paul Reubens died.  

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, geekburger said:

Does Whoopi think Paul Rubens name is actually Pee Wee Herman?

Apparently.  I just watched that clip and both her and Joy referred to Reubens as Pee-Wee Herman the entire time.  I also love how when Joy brings up that he appeared on The View once, Whoopi responds with, "I did not know that" right as they show the video of the interview, with Whoopi sitting right there on the couch with him.  You'd think before they do these segments that they'd remind the co-hosts if the person had ever been on The View and who was present during the interview.

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

In response to De Santis talking about the Florida Department of Education standards, Whoopi said that "99%" of slaves didn't "benefit" from slavery. True, but neither De Santis, nor the standards said that 99% (or even a majority) of former slaves benefitted "from" slavery. It says that in some cases, some former slaves were able to use some skills they gained while enslaved to benefit themselves at some point. 

Like many TV personalities, Whoopi probably doesn't research beyond headlines and sound bites, so she may not be aware of how a legitimate criticism of how this particular sentence in the standards should be rewritten (to clarify that most slaves or former slaves probably couldn't use skills they used when enslaved to aid in post-slavery life) has now expanded to suggest that the whole curriculum is ok with slavery, which would be terrible, but the actual text doesn't support that. 

The standards are online, so Whoopi or anyone else could read them if they wanted to.

Edited by KittyQ
Shortened text.

I also love how when Joy brings up that he appeared on The View once, Whoopi responds with, "I did not know that" right as they show the video of the interview, with Whoopi sitting right there on the couch with him. 

That's hilarious.  Keep it messy ladies!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
41 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

In response to De Santis talking about the Florida Department of Education standards, Whoopi said that "99%" of slaves didn't "benefit" from slavery. True, but neither De Santis, nor the standards said that 99% (or even a majority) of former slaves benefitted "from" slavery. It says that in some cases, some former slaves were able to use the skills they used while enslaved to aid themselves in their new situations. 

If the current argument was about changing the verbiage to make it very clear that this was not the experience of most slaves or even most former slaves, that would make a lot of sense and could be fixed before the school year starts, but many people, including Whoopi, are expanding the issue to suggest that schools are being told to teach that slavery was not a terrible thing, or that it was something that slaves should be grateful for. The rest of the curriculum shows that this is not the case. This is how legitimate criticism gets distorted and misleading information is spread to the detriment of everyone hearing or reading it.

You can read the standards for yourself by going to the Fla. Dept. of Ed. website and searching for "standards of education 2023" for Social Studies.  

The problem is the implication that any slave benefited from slavery.  The question to ask is why was this included in the curriculum?   What's to gain from expressly stating that slaves developed skills that could in some cases be used for their personal benefit?   It feels to some that it's to minimize the horror of slavery.   

And I've read the curriculum standards and that didn't change my mind on this issue.   The wording needs to be changed.  Sarah was on point on this issue.  Africans that came here already had blacksmithing, farming, etc. skills.    They were not taught everything they know through slavery.  

• Like 16
  • Applause 6
2 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Apparently.  I just watched that clip and both her and Joy referred to Reubens as Pee-Wee Herman the entire time.  I also love how when Joy brings up that he appeared on The View once, Whoopi responds with, "I did not know that" right as they show the video of the interview, with Whoopi sitting right there on the couch with him.  You'd think before they do these segments that they'd remind the co-hosts if the person had ever been on The View and who was present during the interview.

It so annoyed me that they didn't refer to him as Paul Reubens.  You'd think at least Whoopie, an actor, would know/remember that Pee Wee is a character he played.  Yes, it was his most famous character, but he did other acting as well, and as a show of respect, they should have said his actual name.  I know they didn't mean to be disrespectful, but that's how it felt to me.

And yeah, what's up with this lack of preparedness:

Joy:  He was on The View.

Whoopie:  I didn't know that.

Cut to clip of Paul and Whoopie on The View.

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

Alyssa mentions the fact that DeSantis doubled-down on the topic of slavery. Then Whoopi says, "Yes, that's what stupid people do."

🤣🤣🤣🤣

How many times has Whoopi doubled-down on a topic!!

Edited by Blissfool
  • Like 6
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Don’t care about this bachelorette woman. Click. 

I made it about two minutes into her interview and couldn't take it anymore.  I get that there's a strike on and The Bachelor (and all its spin offs) are on ABC but for the love of all that's holy, could they not have gotten a comedian or an author or a freakin' lifestyle guru type (someone with expertise in food, interior design, exercise, DIY crafts, etc) instead of this void of a person?

• Like 6

OMG, Sunny's comment of, "But don't you do it" when Alyssa was saying how one of her book picks was about how powerful people get away with horrible behavior.  As if it's a "how to" book.  LOL.  I just can't!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I get that there's a strike on and The Bachelor (and all its spin offs) are on ABC

She was on Dancing with the Stars last season(came in second) and hosted the DWTS tour so ABC is invested in her. 

The DeSantis discussion yesterday was pretty good. I was curious about Sunny's first book pick, the plot for that one sounded like it could be interesting if it's sort of a YA fantasy type of thing. The vacation discussion today was hilarious--mostly because of Whoopi, but Joy's, Sunny's, and Brian's reactions to her were worth it.

I do see humor in Alyssa giving out a book on the lack of accountability.

• Like 1

Why is deGrasse Tyson a guest on a show about female perspective and empowerment? Has he been completely exonerated of sexual misconduct allegations? What info of value did he bring that makes him a "must-have" guest? While the cancellation of him and his brand is not necessarily appropriate, can there not be more distance? Could not a female physicist be brought on instead of deGrasse Tyson and his meaningless bloviations? I do not seek to be hurtful to Tyson, but I do not understand his presence on The View.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, FaginZorro said:

Why is deGrasse Tyson a guest on a show about female perspective and empowerment? Has he been completely exonerated of sexual misconduct allegations? What info of value did he bring that makes him a "must-have" guest? While the cancellation of him and his brand is not necessarily appropriate, can there not be more distance? Could not a female physicist be brought on instead of deGrasse Tyson and his meaningless bloviations? I do not seek to be hurtful to Tyson, but I do not understand his presence on The View.

Everything you just said. It's fucking disgraceful that a women's show can't do better. This is what you get with a man running the show. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
14 minutes ago, FaginZorro said:

Has he been completely exonerated of sexual misconduct allegations?

He was.

16 minutes ago, FaginZorro said:

I do not seek to be hurtful to Tyson, but I do not understand his presence on The View.

1) the strike

2) NDT never turns down an opportunity to be on camera. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Alyssa had a good point on the LIzzo discussion.  I too read the allegations.  At a minimum she needs to take responsibility as her role as a boss/employer.   Sounds like she treated her dancers like they were part of her friend group.   So while it's cool to take your friends to a strip club and encourage ratchet behavior.   You just can't do that with your employees.  

51 minutes ago, FaginZorro said:

Why is deGrasse Tyson a guest on a show about female perspective and empowerment? Has he been completely exonerated of sexual misconduct allegations?

As others have said, because they need guests 😉.  He's the resident TV scientist and was kinda relevant in the discussion on UFOs.   

He was also cleared of changes against him.        

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, geekburger said:

Whoopi back in her “defend celeb” mode with both Lizzo and Oscar/Jessica. Not surprising I guess.

You can count on Whoopi to give almost any celebrity the benefit of the doubt if there's anything questionable. Of course, there are a few exceptions, and I get the impression that those are mainly people she hasn't worked with or doesn't care for anyway. 

The discussion about Lizzo was interesting, and I was glad that Joy pointed out that if Lizzo was doing any fat shaming, she would be a major hypocrite. I wonder if becoming such a star over a relatively short period of time*, it is possible that Lizzo hasn't learned how to differentiate between social and work expectations. 

The Oscar/Jessica relationship issues - I can see where after going through an intense situation people can find it hard to disentangle themselves. I suppose that's why you hear of affairs happening between co-stars (think Brad and Angelina back in the day). Even if you avoid that, it still might be difficult to reconcile your past relationship with the one created while working together. 

* By this, I don't mean that it didn't take her a long time to hone her craft and work hard, but once she did get noticed, fame came along pretty quickly.

Edited by KittyQ
Added clarification.
  • Like 1

Rare feeling, but I think I actually have liked hearing Whoopi speak more the past couple of weeks. Usually, I prefer when she's only there to throw to commercial; I guess it's partly where they always have Alyssa speak last, I'd rather hear Whoopi.

Sunny and Whoopi seem like they're getting along better these days, too, it's almost fun to see them play off each other lately.

• Like 1
On 8/2/2023 at 6:19 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

The DeSantis discussion yesterday was pretty good. I was curious about Sunny's first book pick, the plot for that one sounded like it could be interesting if it's sort of a YA fantasy type of thing. The vacation discussion today was hilarious--mostly because of Whoopi, but Joy's, Sunny's, and Brian's reactions to her were worth it.

I do see humor in Alyssa giving out a book on the lack of accountability.

Did they announce a winner of all the books?  I don't recall seeing that

On 8/2/2023 at 11:34 AM, Medicine Crow said:

But wait, her reason for being there was to announce she switched teams.  So....

And she didn't want to name names to protect her SO and yet that afternoon it was all over the 'net and the news.  Pix too.  So much for that

On 8/1/2023 at 12:48 PM, Snapdragon said:

I don't think Pee-Wee would mind being called that. Yeah I had to chuckle too at Whoopi on the couch. Thought she might say something, joke or something.