Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Met Cute

• Start Topic

On 6/23/2023 at 12:33 AM, Cosmocrush said:

Which was an equally stupid subplot:  a person who is confident enough in who they are to announce their non-binary status (had to explain that one to my 85 year old mom) as well as a  person who hates getting dressed up and hates wardrobe people suggesting what looks good, ) is NOT going to cry because  those same pros implied she should lose weight.   Please.  

To be fair, the crying was about that they had themself get preassured into a diet, when they derive pride from being who they are and not giving a damn what other people think.

• Like 7
(edited)
6 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

To be fair, the crying was about that they had themself get preassured into a diet, when they derive pride from being who they are and not giving a damn what other people think.

Well that interpretation makes more sense than the way I saw it, which was a person crying because people thought they needed to lose weight.   Either way, I thought it was a dumb storyline for both Che and Miranda. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
pronoun correction
  • Like 7
(edited)

They could have filmed a Samantha cameo for the opening montage without her having to interact with the rest of the cast.

Edited by Glade
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I’m going to be a bitch and also say that I have never seen Sara Ramirez in anything else, so I have no overall idea as to how they react to things, but I thought that crying was so bad that the audience was supposed to think it was a deliberate put-on to win more sympathy from Miranda.

• Like 11
  • LOL 2
On 6/23/2023 at 2:08 AM, WendyCR72 said:

CO-SIGN!

It would be even better, post dumping, if Miranda decides she wants her trusty backup in Steve back. Only to find him with Debbie or some other woman that appreciates him...

Another co-sign here! I’m really hoping Debbie comes back to rescue Steve…. Now that would be sweet justice.

• Like 8
On 6/22/2023 at 11:39 PM, Scarlett45 said:
On 6/22/2023 at 11:32 PM, luna1122again said:

Gary Dourdan! I know he had some legal and addiction issues but I was so happy to see him looking FINE. I do hope he'll be back. 

So fine. Yes he must come back! They wouldn’t have cast him for just the one scene!

Yes, Lawd. And I really like Nya, but it seems like she's on a different show than everyone else. 

On 6/23/2023 at 5:15 AM, T Summer said:

So true.

Plus they seem to have lost the ability to write any kind of vaguely realistic dialogue between friends now that the ladies are 50ish and rich.

That's my problem with this season. These friends don't talk to each other anymore. Even when they're together, one person says, "This happened to me." And no one comforts them or commiserates. They just follow up with, "Well this happened to me." Are they all a bunch of rich narcissists now? Except for Anthony. He does usually respond to everyone. He also doesn't seem as rich as everyone else. 

• Like 9
(edited)
On 6/23/2023 at 9:42 PM, ninjago said:

The writing on this show is so schlocky and unnatural, "I've been editing my doc", "I need to get a check to finish this doc".  And some of the acting is junior high level.  The woman who plays Seems is embarrassingly over-the-top, when she said the line about Tom Ford it was practically vaudevillian in it's hamminess.  Also, Miranda acts like she's got some sort of head injury, she's so manic and hyper all the time.

I barely recognize this Miranda. Where is the confident, droll Miranda I remember? This one is like a needy high school girl. 

SJP looks better this season than last. I wonder if she had some subtle work done. Her jawline looks pretty tight and I don't see as many wrinkles as last season, but she looks natural and good. I wish Kristin Davis had taken a cue from SJP.

This episode was just ok to me. There were too many short scenes and too many characters. I didn't get a sense of continuity or of the bonding I remember from SATC. Where are the scenes of all of them having lunch or a drink together? I suppose that is gone. I need to remember this is a spin-off, not the same show. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 6
(edited)

So, can anyone explain to me the dress at the end? Was that her wedding dress to Big? I saw the original recipe SATC when it aired but that was a long time ago and I didnt catch every episode (or see any of the movies).

Miranda used to be a serious lawyer who watched  Frontline in her spare time. Now she just waits around for Che? At least she has the red hair back.  And how did Sara Ramirez go from being the best character on Greys to the worst character on AJLT? 

I like Seema and I’m glad she’s on the show, I like LTW and their whole family but they and Nya especially seem like they are brought in from different shows. 

Edited by Paws
  • Like 2
(edited)
On 6/25/2023 at 11:20 PM, Lethallyfab said:

I’m going to be a bitch and also say that I have never seen Sara Ramirez in anything else, so I have no overall idea as to how they react to things, but I thought that crying was so bad that the audience was supposed to think it was a deliberate put-on to win more sympathy from Miranda.

True. I thought they were testing material for their TV pilot. It was pretty unbelievable. 

I also don't believe that Nya would have bonded with Miranda like that. LTW and Charlotte and Seema and Carrie, I get. 

Edited by tanyak
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Paws said:

So, can anyone explain to me the dress at the end? Was that her wedding dress to Big? I saw the original recipe SATC when it aired but that was a long time ago and I didnt catch every episode (or see any of the movies).

So in the first SATC movie, that dress was supposed to be Carrie's wedding dress at a big fancy wedding at the NY Library, but Big got cold feet and bailed, leaving Carrie at the altar.  when they finally did get married, it was at city hall (i believe) and Carrie just wore a white suit (iirc).  So Carrie had bad memories of the big fancy wedding dress (and it is incredibly that she still had it stored in the small apartment).

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

So Carrie had bad memories of the big fancy wedding dress (and it is incredibly that she still had it stored in the small apartment).

I'm not surprised.  Even for a bad memory, my recollection of the dress was that it would cost north of $15,000.00 new.     

• Like 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Hanahope said:

So in the first SATC movie, that dress was supposed to be Carrie's wedding dress at a big fancy wedding at the NY Library, but Big got cold feet and bailed, leaving Carrie at the altar.  when they finally did get married, it was at city hall (i believe) and Carrie just wore a white suit (iirc).  So Carrie had bad memories of the big fancy wedding dress (and it is incredibly that she still had it stored in the small apartment).

Not just any wedding dress!  It was a Vivianne Westwood, gifted to her by Westwood and it was the reason the wedding went from the agreed upon small affair to a big wedding.  It's what she was wearing when she was devastated and humiliated by Big in the middle of the street.  I remember at the time, the price tag was around $10K US  and  completely sold out.   I loved the return of it as a gift to the fans.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Like 6
8 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

I loved the return of it as a gift to the fans.  

I did love that dress. That whole scene is--wow. I've never understood why so many seem to hate the first movie. I think its long slow journey to forgiveness, starting with that scene in the street, Carrie wailing "I am humiliated!" and Charlotte leveling that look at Big, standing him down like a lioness, the montage on New Year's Eve ("You're not alone") and ending with Steve and Miranda's lovely reunion on Brooklyn Bridge and Carrie coming across the emails Big sent to her--is positively Charlotte Bronte-an.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I've never understood why so many seem to hate the first movie.

I liked the first movie.  The characters were true to their characters in SATC the series.  Can't say the same for some of them in AJLT.

9 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

ending with Steve and Miranda's lovely reunion on Brooklyn Bridge

According to MPK that was meaningless.  Miranda didn't want to be married.  Felt pressured to do it and blah blah blah.

21 hours ago, tanyak said:

I also don't believe that Nya would have bonded with Miranda like that.

Real Miranda yes.  Her and Nyla both no nonsense types.  This Miranda?  No.  Nyla wouldn't have time for this Miranda's "I'm living in a rom com" silliness.   Miranda is so wrapped up in Che she doesn't have time for Carrie or Charlotte.

On 6/27/2023 at 7:25 AM, Paws said:

Miranda used to be a serious lawyer who watched  Frontline in her spare time. Now she just waits around for Che? At least she has the red hair back.

We can thank Cynthia Nixon for that.  Even when Charlotte was doing the whole Rules thing with men she wouldn't be acting like Miranda.  And I blame Miranda for her acting like this.  It's not like Che asked her to become their live in groupie.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 8
  • Applause 3

In the SATC days the reason why Carrie needed to pull out another dress for the Met Ball wouldn't have been a seamstress-flu and flustered designer, but her having a poached egg on toast (because she is now a domestic goddess) and dribbling yolk on the dress. Just to get the story full circle.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
On 6/27/2023 at 11:51 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

I did love that dress. That whole scene is--wow. I've never understood why so many seem to hate the first movie. I think its long slow journey to forgiveness, starting with that scene in the street, Carrie wailing "I am humiliated!" and Charlotte leveling that look at Big, standing him down like a lioness, the montage on New Year's Eve ("You're not alone") and ending with Steve and Miranda's lovely reunion on Brooklyn Bridge and Carrie coming across the emails Big sent to her--is positively Charlotte Bronte-an.

the way Charlotte said "NO" and the look, it makes me well up every time I see it. That felt so much like a real BEST FRIEND moment 

• Like 5
  • Love 4
On 6/27/2023 at 11:51 PM, CeeBeeGee said:

the montage on New Year's Eve ("You're not alone")

THIS is the scene that wells me up every time. We’ve all been there when we just need that friend who will come unasked to be with you.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

THIS is the scene that wells me up every time. We’ve all been there when we just need that friend who will come unasked to be with you.

I absolutely love that montage. The sheer craftsmanship of patiently (so many movies hurry through things) showing all the major players, how they're dealing with the death of the old year, the birth of the new, how they're dealing with loneliness, how maybe they're not dealing at all, they're just asleep (Steve and Brady), friends showing up for other friends, even struggling through the snow and the subway just to be there for their friend, to laugh over Chinese food. And I love that shot of Big--I love the movie giving us that glimpse, letting us know his story isn't over, nope, we've got unfinished business with this guy. We'll be seeing him again. Just wait. Be patient and wait.

And all scored with that brilliant, wistful cover of Auld Lang Sang.

It's just brilliant. I love it so much.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/22/2023 at 3:33 PM, Cosmocrush said:

Which was an equally stupid subplot:  a person who is confident enough in who they are to announce their non-binary status (had to explain that one to my 85 year old mom) as well as a  person who hates getting dressed up and hates wardrobe people suggesting what looks good, ) is NOT going to cry because  those same pros implied they should lose weight.   Please.  

That was my reaction too. Crying because there's a suggestion for weight loss? Maybe I would, but Che seemed to be someone who would more than likely tell them to f-off, work around it. 

Also, I agree with the person above who said that Che is the least funny comic around. It is hard to suspend disbelief when they show the audiences cheering and clapping. She's no Deborah Vance or Midge Maisel, for sure; she isn't even as funny as Susie Myerson, who isn't a comic, but is still funnier than Che.

Edited by KittyQ
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
On 6/24/2023 at 9:48 AM, luna1122again said:

The dress and train are fabulous but the headpiece  looks like Covid

The headpiece was skeeving me out like how some people, (me) , have trypophobia. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
On 6/26/2023 at 4:36 PM, topanga said:

And I really like Nya, but it seems like she's on a different show than everyone else.

Is Miranda really the only friend she has to complain to?  Did she have no friends at all a year ago?

On 6/27/2023 at 11:23 AM, tanyak said:

I also don't believe that Nya would have bonded with Miranda like that.

Exactly.

• Like 5

I actually really enjoyed the first episode! I didn't jump to watch this season the way I did the first one because the first one just wasn't the fun SATC was. But I think this season is going better. 

Regarding Che and body image, I totally know a lot of people who are confident about themselves in many ways, but the body can be a different story. I did crack up when they joked "I AM the most beautiful person you've ever seen." Che's face is GORGEOUS. 

I'm still digging Charlotte's fashion. So feminine and so classy. Kristin will forever be a beautiful woman to me. I wish she stuck to noninvasive procedures like micro needling and PRP. There are ways to look naturally young, especially with her kind of $$$, but I get the pressure to have that "perfect" look. Filler does instantly plump the skin. It's just that it can end up looking fake.

I do see that it's indeed dissolving. She's looking more like her naturally beautiful self now. :)

9081927912f5c6e647e2a1f5a5ff2c0023-krist

• Love 1