Type keyword(s) to search

The Curious Case Of Natalia Grace - General Discussion

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, Almost 3000 said:
On 5/30/2023 at 4:24 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Just from the commercials the dad was super sketchy.  Any grown man who throws himself down and pounds his fists on the carpet while screaming in frustration like a two year old loses points big time with me.

Yeah, he never got a clue. His lawyers had to coach him how to behave and he completely forgot their directions for the special. 

Just to be fair to Michael (I can't believe I'm saying that), when he was pounding his fists on the floor was when he was re-enacting how (he claimed) his wife would beat Natalia.  But they showed it out of context earlier in the series.  I only noticed that because I had trouble watching everything in order, and I ended up watching the first episode (with the out-of-context fist pounding) last.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

When someone mentioned upthread about Michael's new wife, what kind of woman would marry him, etc.... 

Someone who clearly ALSO loves drama and attention.  Did anyone else catch the scene near the end of the series where it's post trial and they're huddle in the back of a car with his lawyer?  Michael is trying his hardest to SOB and the wife is clinging to him in a weird way, stares DIRECTLY into the camera then turns her head up to him in a dramatic way? Reminds me of Michelle Duggar staring at JimBob (worlds collide for a few of you here, GTSY!).

Also the lawyer was probably texting someone saying "send help, i can't get away from this clown fast enough"....

Anyway, seeing her shift her gaze like that was almost like watching someone switch from manipulative to manipulative-er in 0.00002 seconds.  

• Like 8
  • Useful 3
7 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

People with Aspergers need regular weekly/or twice a  month therapy with a therapist who is trained in treating people with Aspergers. Yes, they are on the Spectrum and are considered high functioning, like Jacob who is gifted and has academic accomplishments, but their social skills are limited and they lack social cues and don't understand or misinterpret social interactions or conversations. This can leave them frustrated and lonely. It's very hard for them to make and keep friends...sometimes they get taken advantage of. It's very isolating if an Aspie doesn't have the kind of support he/she needs. Hopefully he's getting this kind of professional support...but I wouldn't look to his father to help provide that. He's too busy buying new sports cars.

Thank goodness he lives mostly in Canada, then. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

When someone mentioned upthread about Michael's new wife, what kind of woman would marry him, etc.... 

Someone who clearly ALSO loves drama and attention.  Did anyone else catch the scene near the end of the series where it's post trial and they're huddle in the back of a car with his lawyer?  Michael is trying his hardest to SOB and the wife is clinging to him in a weird way, stares DIRECTLY into the camera then turns her head up to him in a dramatic way? Reminds me of Michelle Duggar staring at JimBob (worlds collide for a few of you here, GTSY!).

Also the lawyer was probably texting someone saying "send help, i can't get away from this clown fast enough"....

Anyway, seeing her shift her gaze like that was almost like watching someone switch from manipulative to manipulative-er in 0.00002 seconds.  

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about Michael's new wife. You'd be surprised how many people out there LOVE any kind of drama like this. She probably is also hoping to get fame for herself by hitching herself to Michael. I'd say she most likely has narcissistic tendencies and is looking for sympathy and head pats for persevering through such trials and tribulations. 

This whole case was unbelievably bizarre that left more questions than answers, and either everyone involved in this whole case was completely bad or negligent at their jobs or the documentary didn't ask enough/the right questions. I'm completely flummoxed that those at the state mental hospital never once considered that Natalia had been sexually abused when they're whole job is dealing with people mental health issues.  Don't even get me started on the legal stuff, such as the adoption to begin with. This post would be way too long cover all of the questions and inconsistencies throughout the documentary.

• Like 12
  • Applause 3
3 hours ago, Book Junkie said:

I'm completely flummoxed that those at the state mental hospital never once considered that Natalia had been sexually abused when they're whole job is dealing with people mental health issues.  Don't even get me started on the legal stuff, such as the adoption to begin with. This post would be way too long cover all of the questions and inconsistencies throughout the documentary.

Yes, they should have been calling in counselors who could ask her questions to determine if she had been sexually abused instead of the Barnetts to tell them “take her back, she’s acting inappropriately toward the men here”.  

Then the story about the adoption, if what Michael said is accurate (which I’m not sure about at this point given his histrionics later) - if it was the rush job he described they should have walked away.  A rule I have is if someone is forcing me into a decision that I must make right away, tomorrow is “too late” I will walk away.  I’ll assume they’re hiding something that I will be forced to deal with later without their help.  

• Like 11
(edited)
11 hours ago, Book Junkie said:

I'm completely flummoxed that those at the state mental hospital never once considered that Natalia had been sexually abused when they're whole job is dealing with people mental health issues. 

I'm completely flummoxed that those at the state mental hospital thought it was okay to comment on a patient at all, given confidentiality laws, especially HIPAA.  I wonder if those anonymous interviews were even real. If they were real it was certainly unethical of the workers. If not real, it was unethical of the filmmakers.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
Because I did that thing where I spelled HIPAA wrong. It just seems like there should be two pps and one a but there's not.
  • Like 14
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I'm completely flummoxed that those at the state mental hospital thought it was okay to comment on a patient at all, given confidentiality laws, especially HIPPA.  I wonder if those anonymous interviews were even real. If they were real it was certainly unethical of the workers. If not real, it was unethical of the filmmakers.

I thought about this, too. I do FMLA paperwork at my job and they are VERY clear about the HIPPA stuff, you cannot fuck with that in any way, shape, or form. So I definitely think, if those interviews were real, there's a reason they kept them hidden, and given the whole messy nature of this story, it's likely not a good reason. 

And if they weren't real? Then...I don't even know what to say about that. 

• Like 8

I fully believe Michael abused that girl, Kristine decided this meant Natalia was a seductress and therefore not a little girl, had her son pee on Natalia's bed in retaliation — interesting that in Michael's interview he kept referring to the incident as peeing on Natalia's things instead of her bed — and tried to "set her up" with other men, and it was also part of why she eventually had Natalia aged up. I also can't believe the state hospital saw pubic hair and that alone was enough to have her transferred to the adult wing.

Also, also, if the Barnetts were so rich (and were they really? The snippets of court documents showed that Michael was a retail manager with three years of college...) and had nothing to hide, and actually did see a therapist who told them their new daughter was a danger to the family, they could have afforded private residential care.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I've got Discovery plus and stumbled on this while browsing. Wtaf did I just watch??  So much wrong here. No follow up from anyone after Natalia was adopted? That "agency" was sketchy af.  So basically the Ciccones (sp?) dumped her there and the Barnetts just signed for her and took her home like a used car? No adoption lawyers? No social workers? Especially considering her condition? Was she ever in school? Like regular public school? I've got so many questions.  

Michael and his histrionics.. Wow. He's a real piece of work. The hoarder little person bragging about how big his junk is..ick. So he basically said Michael was sexually abusing Natalia? Is that what he said when Michael was holding the laptop at the end? As a side note, you threaten to smash my laptop, and you're going to get your ass handed to you. He's really an ass isn't he? 

Kristine looked pretty healthy for someone who has lupus. All the sexting she was doing was gross. 

The only ones I feel sorry for are the kids. I wonder if anyone has found the other kids Michael and Kristine fostered. I'd love to hear from them.  I hope Jacob is getting help. What a depressing place he has in store for basement there. The scene with him and Michael when Michael was making popcorn was beyond uncomfortable. 

The woman who took Natalia in, with the tattoos of her adopted kids names. So her neighborhood is so bad she carries all the time? Even in the house? And it's ok for her as an adoptive parent to live in such a neighborhood? Alright then. Was she single it did she have a husband/wife whatever?

What a hot mess of a story. Michael is beyond insane. 

• Like 12
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, Stevie Nicks said:

Michael and his histrionics.. Wow. He's a real piece of work. The hoarder little person bragging about how big his junk is..ick. So he basically said Michael was sexually abusing Natalia? Is that what he said when Michael was holding the laptop at the end? As a side note, you threaten to smash my laptop, and you're going to get your ass handed to you. He's really an ass isn't he? 

About that scene at the end of the series and that laptop - that’s real good judgement by the producers.  Hey, this guy who’s been over the top emotional, let’s let him look at a video on one of our laptops to trigger him more!  Yes he is a piece of work.  

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Stevie Nicks said:

The woman who took Natalia in, with the tattoos of her adopted kids names. So her neighborhood is so bad she carries all the time? Even in the house? And it's ok for her as an adoptive parent to live in such a neighborhood? Alright then. Was she single it did she have a husband/wife whatever?

What a hot mess of a story. Michael is beyond insane. 

That was a different woman, a neighbor, not the one who took  her in and she is still with. The woman who has her is married or at least has a partner. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

That was a different woman, a neighbor, not the one who took  her in and she is still with. The woman who has her is married or at least has a partner. 

Ah ok thank you. This case is such a hot mess it was hard to keep everyone straight. 

• Like 4

I don't like violence in any way but I wanted to reach through the tv screen and pummel Michael's face.  Good Lord. 

One poster commented early on that the initial episodes felt like a parody.  They absolutely did.  Like an SNL short movie.  Even throwing in the nosy neighbor for good measure.

Once everything devolved into the Michael show, I could barely continue getting through it.  It was even harder to watch knowing this man was absolutely delighted to have the cameras on him, eating up the attention with a spoon.  He thinks sooooo highly of himself.

Poor Jacob.  I really felt for him.  I wonder if the evil Stepmom is the one who makes him stay in that horrible unfinished basement? 

There seemed to be a handful of peripheral characters who really had nothing to do with the case but they were heavily featured.  The little woman who wanted to adopt Natalia but couldn't afford the fees - did she ever even meet her?  Why was she so involved?  Kenna (sp?), her neighbor in Lafayette, did she really interact with her other than Natalia asking her for a sandwich and watching her come and go from the apartment?  But she testified in Michael's case?  The little couple only met her once and went on their way, yet Kristine was in communication with them?

Michael said that their life was so absolutely perfect before Natalia.  Then he paints Kristine as this total abuser who withheld sex from him for their entire relationship.  Which is it, Michael? 

The big part about Natalia living alone in her first apartment just broke my heart.  She must have been so lonely.  She obviously had no life skills.  At the same time, I understand the neighbors feeling held hostage by her.  But calling her "scary" and "freaky" seemed plain old mean.  The neighbor with the husband and the son seemed extra, extra kind, while still trying to maintain boundaries.

Natalia's life has been so sad.  This is a really heartbreaking story.  I can't imagine what she's gone through.  Just cast out into the world with no one to protect her.  It seems there are mental health issues at play here too.  

• Like 14
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

There seemed to be a handful of peripheral characters who really had nothing to do with the case but they were heavily featured.  The little woman who wanted to adopt Natalia but couldn't afford the fees - did she ever even meet her?  Why was she so involved?  Kenna (sp?), her neighbor in Lafayette, did she really interact with her other than Natalia asking her for a sandwich and watching her come and go from the apartment?  But she testified in Michael's case?  The little couple only met her once and went on their way, yet Kristine was in communication with them?

I felt the same way too. I really thought the one neighbor might have taken her in but did didn't seem like she did that much. And yes, that one woman regarding adoption, she never met her. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 7
21 hours ago, Stevie Nicks said:

The woman who took Natalia in, with the tattoos of her adopted kids names. So her neighborhood is so bad she carries all the time? Even in the house? And it's ok for her as an adoptive parent to live in such a neighborhood?

Not all parents have the means to live in better neighborhoods. That woman was a saint and I would have much preferred to live with her than the Barnetts. 

What the frack did I just watch?

Other than the nice couple that had the misfortune of living across the street from Natalia, there wasn’t a decent human in the bunch. Michael clearly has severe psychological issues, Jacob seemed to be not telling the whole truth, Kristine apparently only wanted to adopt so she had someone to abuse, and while I do t think Natalia was not an adult when they got her I’m not convinced she is a complete victim here either; or maybe Natalia thought once adopted she could terrorize these people only to find they were more deranged than she was. 

What a cluster and we still don't know the truth. Ugh, why did I watch this? 

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Not all parents have the means to live in better neighborhoods. That woman was a saint and I would have much preferred to live with her than the Barnetts. 

Oh I understand that. I was just surprised that people who live in a neighborhood like that would be considered for being adoptive parents. I know a couple who adopted and one of the things the adoption agency checked was that they lived in a safe neighborhood.

I would also prefer to live with her. The Barnetts are trash. I wouldn't want a pet rock to live with them.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, sadie said:

or maybe Natalia thought once adopted she could terrorize these people only to find they were more deranged than she was. 

I think it's highly unlikely a six-year-old entering the third home of her short life went in with the intention of terrorizing them. Seems more plausible that she had some problem behaviours, as is common in traumatized children, and the Barnetts traumatized her further before dumping her.

37 minutes ago, Stevie Nicks said:

Oh I understand that. I was just surprised that people who live in a neighborhood like that would be considered for being adoptive parents.

It might have been an in-family adoption?

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 4
(edited)

If I had any doubt about the Mans's, this settles it for me:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-12170351/Ukrainian-dwarf-Natalia-Graces-new-family-crowdfund-VACATION-Israel.html

Ukrainian dwarf Natalia Grace's new adoptive parents have launched a crowdfunder to raise money to take her on a 'dream' vacation to Israel because she has 'been through so much'. 

Or maybe the Mans's want a vacation of their own and want someone else to pay for it.

eta:  OK, now I'm confused.  They want a wheelchair-accessible van (which seems a more sensible thing to ask for), so is the crowdfunder for the trip or the van?  Plus, the goal is $10,000, which wouldn't cover either a van or a trip (for the whole family).  Or is it to rent a van when they get to Israel?

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

Or is it to rent a van when they get to Israel?

10k seems pretty steep for a van rental, even one that is wheelchair accessible.   Did the crowdfund say anything about how long they’re going? (my guess would be no) That’s nice they want to take her on a vacation like this but I’m always suspicious when people do a crowd fund for something like this.  If anyone is motivated to help out that’s their business I guess 🤷‍♀️

Do the other kids get to go along as well, or have they not been through so much 🤔?

• Useful 1
14 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Do the other kids get to go along as well

I thought it was the whole family as the crowdfunding piece said, "As this is our whole family's dream...," unless they mean it's the whole family's dream to grant Natalia's wish.  Very confusing.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I went down a rabbit hole when this story initially broke back at the tail end of 2019 and even back then, I fully believed Natalia was indeed a child when the Barnetts adopted her. I am about 30 minutes into the first episode of this documentary and I am already so angry.

Those pictures they showed of her smiling? She had baby teeth, for crying out loud. I don't believe the Barnetts that she was fully developed down below (which I feel icky that the nature of the private parts of a child is even up for discussion) but even if I did, y'know, precocious puberty is a thing that exists.

Also, if Therese (the other girl with the same kind of dwarfism as Natalia but maybe not because Michael called it one thing and Therese's mother called it something different) was 6 when she met Natalia in 2010, how is she 14 when this documentary interviewed her? Unless they interviewed her in 2018, the math ain't mathing.

But honestly, let's Occam's Razor this entire story. Which is more likely: that a psychopath managed to fool everyone and get herself adopted out as a child for the sole purpose of terrorizing the Perfect American Family, or a couple adopted a traumatized child with an attachment disorder?

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Like 18
  • Love 1

This whole thing gave me a headache.  No way can I watch the follow-up.

Are her adoptive parents the ones with all the dogs and children?  The woman with all the tattoos feeding the baby a bottle during her interview?

There is no way the Barnett’s tried to help this poor child.  So much could have been done.  The judge who aged her up should be disbarred.

I was exhausted after binging this. 

• Like 4
13 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

Are her adoptive parents the ones with all the dogs and children?  The woman with all the tattoos feeding the baby a bottle during her interview?

No, we only saw the woman who took her in through pictures.  She’ll probably be a part of the follow up. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

So, let me get this straight, Michael. Natalia is a somehow an adult sociopath smart enough to figure out how to pose as a small child (not even a preteen or a young teenager where she would naturally have a little more independence, no, a small child) and game the system to get herself adopted into a family to terrorize them but also dumb enough to tell doctors and nurses and EMTs all about her plans to murder her adopted family and admit that she's reading a Bible so she can "get rid of these evil thoughts" on camera? Make it make sense, dude.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
(edited)

A few days after watching this and a lot of the WTFery has calmed down. But now I just want to cry for her, man. She must have been so scared just left in an apartment like that.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 6
  • Sad 4

‘The Curious Case of Natalia Grace’ Delivers Nearly 10.3 Million Total Viewers (EXCLUSIVE)

On the heels of the first documentary’s success, ID greenlit a follow-up documentary, “The Curious Case of Natalia Grace: Natalia Speaks” that is set to premiere later this summer on ID and Max. “Natalia will share her side of the story of what happened behind the closed doors of the Barnett family home and address allegations against her head on. After years of being cloaked under a gag order due to the subsequent legal proceedings around the 2019 arrest of her adoptive parents, Natalia has been unable to tell her story” .

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 6/1/2023 at 7:06 PM, libgirl2 said:

Urinating around the house points me to CSA. 

I also wondered if that house was even made remotely comfortable and accessible for her. Maybe some of her "not accidents" actually were accidents?

Michael's speech, voice, and some mannerisms reminded me of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory

Also, not that my opinion matters, but I got a not-bad feeling from the people who were taking care of Natalia. They seemed legit to me.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
(edited)
On 6/11/2023 at 6:28 PM, Dani-Ellie said:

But honestly, let's Occam's Razor this entire story. Which is more likely: that a psychopath managed to fool everyone and get herself adopted out as a child for the sole purpose of terrorizing the Perfect American Family, or a couple adopted a traumatized child with an attachment disorder?

Yeah -- and why? What would someone want to gain from these garbage Barnetts? Why would someone do this and exactly how would she ensure that it all fell into place? And once some of the Barnetts' true character started revealing itself, why wouldn't a supposed diabolical adult extricate herself? I don't see what the end game would be for someone -- or at least what would be worth this "long con"? And if she was so clever to create this plan, why would she not be clever enough to arrange a better lifestyle while doing it?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 7

Someone else Michael reminds me of, in terms of theatrics and 10 years from now someone's going to be like "remember that crazy guy? i wonder if life caught up to him yet..." :

Gabe the Gambler from an earrrrrrly Intervention episode.  Anyone else see it?

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1

https://www.fresherslive.com/latest/articles/what-happened-to-jacob-barnett-where-is-jacob-barnett-now-1000024598

Think of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory/Young Sheldon. Can't read cues or body language. Embarassed that he was manipulated by his parents into doing things that he knew were inappropriate. 

https://www.dexerto.com/tv-movies/the-curious-case-of-natalia-grace-where-is-she-now-2174035/

I am very interested in hearing her side of the story. 

I'd like to feel she got a chance at a more normal life with the Man's, but it sounds like they are a religious couple, so there's that. (Meaning it could go either way)

I think the truth is closer to what several people here have theorized- the Barnetts were involved in sex trafficking in some way, that the wife was jealous of her, that Michael was sexually abusing her, and the whole thing was engineered to protect the Barnetts. So sad. 

Also interesting that the two younger sons were never mentioned, and their faces were blurred out. One can only hope they are getting help - how could you be of a tender age and not be totally screwed up by this family. Michael looks deranged- those eyes...

And who on earth abuses a kid and films themselves doing it? Wonder what other things they filmed and if the footage is out there somewhere? What if they were hoping to exploit her sexually, but their plans were foiled when they realized she was in precocious puberty, so they had to find a way out?

This whole thing is nauseating. Probably explains my bad dreams after viewing the first several episodes.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Someone else Michael reminds me of, in terms of theatrics and 10 years from now someone's going to be like "remember that crazy guy? i wonder if life caught up to him yet..." :

Yes!

• Like 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

This is SO on the nose. I went back and watched a clip of the Intervention episode—the physical and vocal characteristics between the two is uncanny.

Edited by Guest
(edited)
13 hours ago, salvame said:

And who on earth abuses a kid and films themselves doing it? Wonder what other things they filmed and if the footage is out there somewhere? What if they were hoping to exploit her sexually, but their plans were foiled when they realized she was in precocious puberty, so they had to find a way out?

I don’t understand why Michael was filming his interrogation of Natalia when he found the donuts.  It doesn’t make him look good.  All I saw was a little girl just laying on the sofa trying to answer him.  Of course he wanted to know who she’s been talking to who would know she’s around and of course on her own.  I wouldn’t doubt there’s more footage like this that wasn’t aired.  

A couple of links to stories from ETOnline, at the end of the first one there’s a mention of an eight part Hulu miniseries about this and the second has a preview with Natalia’s response:

https://www.etonline.com/where-natalia-grace-is-now-and-what-she-has-to-say-about-the-orphan-adoption-scandal-205833

https://www.etonline.com/natalia-grace-speaks-out-in-new-special-about-adopted-orphan-scandal-watch-a-preview-exclusive

Edited by Cobb Salad
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)

And speaking of end games, what was the Barnetts'? Did they think she -- a child -- would stay put until she turned 18, pack up, and seek her fortune in the real world, never to look back? Become an adult and continue to live there and forget all about this whole situation? Did they hope she would disappear? Die? WTF, man? I'm just so mad.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 7
  • Sad 3
(edited)

Even so, it would lead back to them if she was found dead or if she contacted the police -- or if someone else had. And now I need to know more about the so-called adoption place. Do they normally check in on and communicate with the families? And other just regular people -- would anyone have said to the Barnetts, "Hey, what ever happened to that other kid you had?" Oh my god, it is so confusing!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5

Freaking heart breaking.  That child, living alone?  How she survived is beyond me.  

I find it very out of the ordinary that her age change was done without a hearing and as an emergency.  Now, conspiracy brain makes me think there was some sort of sex trafficking ring and the Judge was in on it.  Sounds utterly insane and I don't really believe it, but this is one freaking insane thing.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

And now I need to know more about the so-called adoption place. Do they normally check in on and communicate with the families? 

I wonder if the adoption place was legit anyway. Seemed sketchy to me. The whole process they did there. Has anyone looked into the adoption place? 

• Like 7
21 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Yeah, that’s what I mean by “so-called” — though I don’t actually know how legit ones are run either.

Legit ones aren't on some strip mall in a sketchy neighborhood where kids are just dumped off by people. There is a ton of a paperwork, lawyers and social workers are involved at some point as well. It's not like buying a car. Go in, sign a couple of papers and then go home with the child. Private party adoptions may be different of course. But that place just didn't seem like a legit place. Like maybe a child trafficking operation or something. 

• Like 4
On 5/30/2023 at 9:26 AM, TipseyGirl said:

His bragging at the beginning that they had a McMansion and a driveway full of cars (one being a Lamborghini...or Ferrari...or some shit).

McMansion is a bit of a stretch for what is just an upper middle class housing development in Indiana and not really at the top of that. The type of place one drives through and thinks these people are doing pretty well for themselves but not big wealth. I doubt a real McMansion would be housing a daycare either. He seems delusional in a lot of ways though... 

On 6/4/2023 at 6:00 PM, Hedgehog2022 said:

There were alot of weird people in this saga...the little person who was bragging about his sexual prowess and the size of his genitals!!! OMG! And the hoarder mess of a house and yard he lived in???!!! Yikes! The two people that "adopted" Natalia.

"Yikes!" indeed!! How about that wall of crucifixes behind that one Natalia ally! If I hadn't known anything at all about the situation and someone told me I was watching a mockumentary I would have believed it. Unfortunately I feel like the documentary crew was more interested in featuring the cast of zany characters than delving more deeply into the situation itself.

On 6/4/2023 at 11:36 AM, overtherainbow said:

The birth certificate: So from the pictures of her missing teeth and the short clips of her, I never thought Natalia was 22 and born in 1989, but I don't fully believe she was born in September 2003 either. It's not uncommon for foreign orphanages to doctor birth certificates to make children younger than they really are, as they know younger kids "sell" better. I think Natalia was between 9-12 when she was adopted and living with the Barnetts, which would explain her teeth and periods (if she had them). Anna Gava (her biomom) however is still adamant she gave birth to her in 2003, but she could have also given birth to her in the late 90s and been paid off. 

I also have my suspicions regarding the documentation given by the original agency. If the age was altered (though I doubt 1989 as the actual) it wouldn't even have to have been coming from a necessarily bad place but just by an agency desperately trying to make a challenging placement.  Not right, but I could follow the logic behind it.  There's a big difference between a six year old and a teen or even pre-teen.  

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
On 6/5/2023 at 6:49 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Just to be fair to Michael (I can't believe I'm saying that), when he was pounding his fists on the floor was when he was re-enacting how (he claimed) his wife would beat Natalia.  But they showed it out of context earlier in the series.  I only noticed that because I had trouble watching everything in order, and I ended up watching the first episode (with the out-of-context fist pounding) last.

If Natalia had been beatened like that she would have been either seriously hurt or even of died from her injuries. No way a child with the very serious problems she has could have survived a beating like the one Michael demonstrated...no way.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4

So, why am I not surprised that when Michael tries to shade the Mans family for taking Natalia in, he only ends up shading himself?

"She had $500 on her food stamps card and they bought food!" ... What else were they supposed to do with it, Michael, go to Vegas?

"They had her social security check signed over to them!" Well, why were you getting it in the first place, Michael? If she's an adult, shouldn't the money be going to her? At least the Mans family could actually use the money for her care instead of dumping her in a second-floor apartment in a rough neighborhood and fucking off to Canada.

"You moved her in ... you met her three days ago!" ... says the man who took this child into his home sight unseen through a very clearly shady adoption across state lines on 24 hours' notice.

I have never before watched something that has filled me with so much rage. The Barnetts are terrible, horrible people and the fact that no justice has been served for this little girl is infuriating. Natalia was failed at every. single. junction, and I still have two episodes to go!

• Like 14
  • Love 2

ID Sets Premiere Date for Highly Anticipated Follow Up Docuseries "The Curious Case of Natalia Grace: Natalia Speaks" Featuring Exclusive Access to Natalia Barnett

The Curious Case of Natalia Grace: Natalia Speaks        Monday, January 1, 2024

Investigation Discovery      six-part docuseries

THE CURIOUS CASE OF NATALIA GRACE: NATALIA SPEAKS offers exclusive access to Natalia Grace Barnett as she shares her story and confronts her former adoptive parents Michael and Kristine Barnett's accusations head on. Over the course of six parts, NATALIA SPEAKS retraces her adoption saga and the Barnett's allegations from Natalia's perspective, offering insight into what really went on behind closed doors in the Barnett's home and how much truth there actually is to their claim Natalia was not a 6-year-old Ukrainian orphan with a rare genetic disorder, but rather a homicidal adult intent on harming them and their children. NATALIA SPEAKS also features previously unseen evidence and footage, as well as new theories and testimony from an array of voices, including the retired FBI agents who initially investigated Natalia's case, genetic experts who help determine Natalia's true age, and the Tippecanoe County Deputy Prosecutor Jackie Starbuck who prosecuted Michael in his October 2022 trial. In addition, the docuseries sheds light into Natalia's next chapter, offering a portrait of her life with her new adoptive family and exclusive interviews with her adoptive parents, Bishop Antown and Christina Manns.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

6 parts????

How much more is there?  I’m sure we will see a lot of rehashing of what we saw before.  

I guess since the series from the Barnett’s side was 6 hours it looks like this one gives Natalia equal time.  We’ll probably be spared Michael Barnett’s histrionics here.  

• Like 5
On 11/22/2023 at 7:27 PM, Cobb Salad said:

We’ll probably be spared Michael Barnett’s histrionics here.  

If the trailer is any indication, we will not.