Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E19: Finale

• Start Topic

And the winner is …. Probably Iam since that’s what’s been shoved down my tv screen for a couple months. They all sounded meh today and I thought maybe it’s bad acoustics but then Oliver Steele did that duet with Jelly Roll, where was this OS before?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Megan’s cover of “Faithfully” is certifiably bad ass!! Holy cow, that girl can hit some notes. 

I guess I’m bombing the thread. Sorry. Anybody notice how in the opening number with all the finalists, Lucy had to make sure she stood two steps in front of the lineup and flail her arms? Attention whores gonna attention whore. 

Zachariah with Kevin Cronin: dude can actually sing. Too bad he acted like the leading man in a Broadway show every week. 

• Like 5

A text from my friend:

”Mom just asked me if Jelly Roll was Iam’s brother.”

Captain Coffee Shop should’ve been doing stuff like this Jelly Roll song all year instead of his acoustic Cold Play knockoff that I can hear in any coffee shop in the country. 

• LOL 1

So...we went from TLC to Kevin Cronin of REO Speedwagon. Interesting transition :p. 

It was fun to see the two members of TLC again, though. Totally danced along to that medley :D. It took me a second longer than it probably should've to realize why Lucy joined them on that medley, though - she was filling in as the "L" of the group. Duh, self :p. 

My mom when Lionel was singing: "Do we really need to have the judges perform again? Haven't they already performed on the show as it is?" 

I do always get a kick out of these supersized finales, though, with all these guests and performances and everything. I always just keep imagining the final two contestants sitting there like, "...yeah, so this is nice and all, but can you just tell us which one of us won already?"

• Like 3

Ok. Thanks to the powers of fast forwarding I’m caught up. In case everyone didn’t know, Iam sings because of his late father. We hadn’t been told 1647392 times in the first 2 hours of this show. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Random question from Mrs. Dub. 

Did Colin have a dead dad too? Or just an absentee father? We never really heard much about his father, did we?

(asking here because I have no fricking clue, and I may be a bit tipsy this fine evening) Anybody ever remember hearing anything about Colin’s dad?

• Useful 1

Oh, so this is who does that "heart like a truck" song that I keep hearing in that one commercial. I know people have been commenting on the lyrics of that song in one of the threads discussing various commercials, so I couldn't help thinking of that conversation during that performance, LOL. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

I'm just sitting here through all of this waiting for Clay and Ruben to appear like I was promised. 

Marybeth got eaten alive on that "Heart Like A Truck" duet/at-the-end-trio. That was...not good. 

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I'm just sitting here through all of this waiting for Clay and Ruben to appear like I was promised. 

And now you finally got your wish :D. 

Wow, Ruben looks great. 

• Like 8
19 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Anybody ever remember hearing anything about Colin’s dad?

Couldn’t remember but found this online: In his American Idol video package, Stough explained that he lives in a house with his mother Nara, stepfather, and two dogs.

Sadly, Colin’s dad was a drug addict and heavy alcoholic; he has been absent from Colin’s life.

• Sad 5
5 minutes ago, dizzyd said:

Couldn’t remember but found this online: In his American Idol video package, Stough explained that he lives in a house with his mother Nara, stepfather, and two dogs.

Sadly, Colin’s dad was a drug addict and heavy alcoholic; he has been absent from Colin’s life.

Didn’t play up the sob story on that one. Missed opportunity! 

Joking. Good for him for not using it. 

• Like 7
(edited)

Clay and Ruuuuuuben! I thought they sounded great! But, uh, Ryan? Their tour is completed. 

I don't  care for any of the Top 3 or Top 2 or Iam. Heh. 

Who would pay to hear Nasal Megan? 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 4

"What do you remember most about that night?"

"Besides losing?" 

LOL XD. Also, was Clay wearing a cape or did he have a jacket draped over his shoulders or something? I half expected him to get all Phantom of the Opera on us out of nowhere :p. 

Seriously, though, so nice to see those two together again like that. They still sound fantastic. I can't believe it's been twenty years since the Ruben & Clay face off. I remember watching that night, the HYPE around that finale was nuts. It was so fun. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Anybody notice how in the opening number with all the finalists, Lucy had to make sure she stood two steps in front of the lineup and flail her arms? Attention whores gonna attention whore. 

Lol I didn't notice. Guess it's better than standing in line with the rest of them and flailing her arms, hitting everyone on the face. 🤣

57 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Zachariah with Kevin Cronin: dude can actually sing. Too bad he acted like the leading man in a Broadway show every week. 

Yeah! I actually enjoyed Zachariah today.

43 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

In case everyone didn’t know, Iam sings because of his late father. We hadn’t been told 1647392 times in the first 2 hours of this show. 

What was he wiping from his face? Certainly not tears. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
Just now, Blissfool said:

Lol I didn't notice. Guess it's better than standing in line with the rest of them and flailing her arms, hitting everyone on the face. 🤣

Haha! I’m sure the people beside her appreciated her standing in front. No need to get a busted nose because Lucy has to be the center of attention. Of course, if she hit somebody, they’d be the center of attention and then we’d have to deal with her mean mugging. 

I enjoyed him too after hating him all freakin season. Didn’t even know he could play a guitar. Somebody shoulda told him to try standing still and connecting with an audience through the music at least once. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
Just now, Annber03 said:

So hey, I don't know if anyone's heard yet, but people need to vote so we can find out who won this thing. 

5 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

What was he wiping from his face? Certainly not tears. 🤷🏻‍♀️

It was sweat from walking 15 feet to the mic. 

• LOL 1

Not at all surprised by that result, but congrats to Iam. And congrats to Megan for making it to runner up. 

My mom when Ryan was getting ready to announce the results: "You know, for as often as contestants have talked about how they could see the results on the card, you'd think he'd stand a little farther away from them when announcing who won." 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
9 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Not at all surprised by that result, but congrats to Iam. And congrats to Megan for making it to runner up. 

My mom when Ryan was getting ready to announce the results: "You know, for as often as contestants have talked about how they could see the results on the card, you'd think he'd stand a little farther away from them when announcing who won." 

Right? Both Clay and Diana have said they knew they lost before the results were read because of the card. (And in Diana's case, too, the order of performances.)

• Like 5

If Megan wants to do contemporary Christian music, finishing second was the best case scenario for her. 

Iam winning isn’t a shock. They’ve been shoving him down our throats (I’m not taking any of the obvious jokes here) all year. He’s a Hawaiian resort singer, and in two months, he’ll be another forgotten idol winner. I’ll bet money that none of the people who voted for him outside Hawaii care enough to buy an album, and they sure aren’t gonna pay to see him headline a concert. Got through because of a sob story and not looking the traditional part of an AI winner. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
29 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Clay and Ruuuuuuben! I thought they sounded great! But, uh, Ryan? Their tour is completed.

They announced a second leg of the tour tonight on Instagram with dates going into 2024.

• Like 3
  • Useful 5

Wow, Colin going first. Another surprising result much like two weeks back. Thankfully I could simply sit back and enjoy the rest of the show after that. Iam does feel like the proper winner this season. I always thought he and We had the best voices, no doubt, with Megan becoming another favorite as the season went along. Both Iam and Megan came across incredibly genuine, both deserving, I would've been happy with either of them winning. I will definitely follow those two and We post-show. I would support Megan whether she goes country or Gospel (or both).

Well, I think Idol on ABC has had a pretty great streak. They've had great winners every year other than Chayce and the show is besting The Voice in the ratings (and I think The Masked Singer as well?). Idol came back for their crown! And I admit it was nice to see a non-country contestant win for a change, too.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Clay and Reuben were the best of the night. Clay still sounds better than everyone. Wish I could have voted for him.

Nutsa and Lucy still mugging at every turn. Confused as to how those two got headline duets and guys like Warren had to share 5 seconds of stage time with someone else. Very unfair to them and the people who voted. 

This season was fine, but the best talent left early. These three were evenly matched so it was a fun finale where anyone could have won. However I think IAM has been miles ahead since his audition.

James Blunt still looks and sounds amazing. Love him!

Anyone catch the original Hawaiian AI gal - season 3’s Jasmine Trias - in the audience? She hasn’t aged a day!!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
(edited)

6 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Anyone catch the original Hawaiian AI gal - season 3’s Jasmine Trias - in the audience? She hasn’t aged a day!!

No I didn't see her but thank you for proving me right in my argument between me and my TV. "There was a previous American Idol contestant from Hawaii and her name was Jasmine." Why did AI laud Iam as the first Hawaiian American Idol a few episodes back!

Edited by Blissfool
  • Like 4

Congrats to Iam, though I wish the show was a bit less heavy-handed (no pun intended) about Iam's father.  I feel terrible for the kid that he had to go through that grief every week at the insistence of the Idol producers (I'm assuming they were behind it).  But he seems like a good kid and I'll make a bold prediction - Iam's going to win a ton of Grammys.  No, not in the pop categories, but rather in a category called "Regional Roots Album".  He could clean up there (and Megan has a chance to do well in the contemporary Christian categories too).

Here are some fun facts about Iam's win:  1. He's the first west coaster to win since Jordin Sparks in season 6.  2. He's the first non-white guy to win since Ruben 20 years ago.  

As for the finale, the Nutsa/Kylie duet looked like something out of the Eurovision Song Contest.  Zach outsung Kevin Cronin and should probably be the next lead singer of REO. And I've never heard of Jelly Roll but I guess he's the country version of Post Malone?

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Not sure I would've bet money on Haven & Katy Perry being the most compelling performance of the hour and forty minutes (not counting the other hour and twenty minutes of commercials/hype for the movie Elemental). But here we are. It just convinces me even more that of all the non country people, she's got a real shot (more so than the non country people of the last few seasons). Being incredibly photogenic can't hurt either.

Couldn't stand James Blunt's voice when "Your Beautiful" came out, still can't stand it now.

Honestly, Zachariah outsang the dude from REO Speedwagon by a fair amount. Still have zero clue how he's going to monetize his opportunities post-AI. Does he try for Broadway and look for roles like Rock of Ages? Does he try and front the most epic 70's & 80's rock cover band that would absolutely dominate the entire Gulf Coast circuit? Does he go the EJ Day route and become a sought after cruise ship performer for Disney Cruises?? Only time will tell.

I thought Mary Beth held her own w/ Lainey Wilson on Heart Like a Truck". I think there's a real chance that both Colin & her could have songs on Sirius's The Highway in the next 6 months or so. Maybe Megan too, depending on what sound she goes for..

I thought maybe Colin's voice was just absolutely blown out by last night. Neither of his solo songs sounded particularly good (the first part of his second song, I'm not even sure there was a key there) and he was fighting like crazy to get through his Duet w/ Luke too..

Megan doing Journey's "Faithfully", was predictably pretty awesome. I think Iam (if he's going to have any mainstream success at all outside of Hawai'i) needs to really lean into the Island/Reggae vibes of his second song. There might be something there if you give the people a mashup of Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz, & Matisyahu. I also think the person up thread who suggested a pretty dramatic body transformation is probably correct. Iam's gotta be pushing 350 or so, if he could at least get down to a "better" 250 (or less) it would be better for his overall health and also the just the grinding lifestyle of a touring musician/singer (particularly when the middle of the Pacific Ocean is one of your home bases)..

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, UrbanShocker said:

But he seems like a good kid and I'll make a bold prediction - Iam's going to win a ton of Grammys.  No, not in the pop categories, but rather in a category called "Regional Roots Album".  He could clean up there (and Megan has a chance to do well in the contemporary Christian categories too).

Here are some fun facts about Iam's win:  1. He's the first west coaster to win since Jordin Sparks in season 6.  2. He's the first non-white guy to win since Ruben 20 years ago.  

Very few Idols have won Grammys so that is a very high bar for Iam.  Chayce Beckham is actually the first winner from the West Coast.

Every season, fans will proclaim their favorites to be big successes, but if you look at the last decade or so, the reality is far and in between.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, UrbanShocker said:

These are just inherently false….did somebody write an article or something publishing these “facts,” because if so, they should probably consider a new career field. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

The most commercially successful Idol (since the switch to ABC), wasn't even a winner. Gaby Barrett is a legit female "Star" (maybe not quite Superstar) in Country Music. She ended up marrying Foehner from her season of AI and he's now her touring guitarist so I guess he's reaping some of her rewards as well.

I think people in Country Music still have some hope for the two from last season (Noah & Huntergirl), but as of yet they haven't really broken through onto current country radio. To be honest, Chayce (at least anecdotally basing it on listening to the Highway & our local FM station that plays current country music) hasn't really made much of an impact either. I know that 23 song was certified Gold (which the show celebrated earlier this season), but I feel that must mostly be coming from digital streams outside of radio play..

Outside of Country, who is there? Lauren Spencer-Smith (from the filmed at home, Covid season that Just Sam won) has had a bit of success with a song called "Flowers". Beyond that, I guess Alejandro has had some indy success as Scarypoolparty...but that's about all I can think of..

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, twilightzone said:

Very few Idols have won Grammys so that is a very high bar for Iam.  Chayce Beckham is actually the first winner from the West Coast.

Every season, fans will proclaim their favorites to be big successes, but if you look at the last decade or so, the reality is far and in between.

Forgot about Chayce Beckham, for some reason I thought he was from the south.  So yes, I was wrong about that.  But Iam is the first non-white male to win since Ruben, so that is correct.  

And as for Grammys, like I said, a bold prediction, but Mandisa has a Grammy (contemporary Christian) and she didn't even do that well on Idol.  So Iam could do well as a niche artist in the "Roots" category.

• Like 3
(edited)

To settle the "Grammy" topic:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_for_American_Idol_contestants

Or was the sentence about Chayce completely unrelated to its preceding sentence about winning a Grammy?

And since I'm being pedantic, "most commercially successful....since the switch to ABC" seems a strange criterion. 

I have paid scant attention to this season and most of the others since Adam. But I still will predict: If Iam is already a "resort singer" in Hawaii, that's where his future lies. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, UrbanShocker said:

But Iam is the first non-white male to win since Ruben, so that is correct.  

My apologies on that one. I totally misread what you were saying. I thought you were saying that every AI winner since Studdard had been a white male. Totally on me. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, UrbanShocker said:

Forgot about Chayce Beckham, for some reason I thought he was from the south.  So yes, I was wrong about that.  But Iam is the first non-white male to win since Ruben, so that is correct.  

And as for Grammys, like I said, a bold prediction, but Mandisa has a Grammy (contemporary Christian) and she didn't even do that well on Idol.  So Iam could do well as a niche artist in the "Roots" category.

But you said "Iam is going to win a ton of Grammys" and he could clean up. 

It's way, way too premature to make all these claims about Grammys.

• Like 3

The most talented artists in the history of music struggle to win multiple Grammys. The odds of an AI winner with an OK voice who largely won because of his backstory winning 1 Grammy is minimal. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"What do you remember most about that night?"

"Besides losing?" 

LOL XD. Also, was Clay wearing a cape or did he have a jacket draped over his shoulders or something? I half expected him to get all Phantom of the Opera on us out of nowhere :p. 

Seriously, though, so nice to see those two together again like that. They still sound fantastic. I can't believe it's been twenty years since the Ruben & Clay face off. I remember watching that night, the HYPE around that finale was nuts. It was so fun. 

LOL, he was giving me strong Siegfried & Roy vibes. Sounded good though. I thought the key was a little high for Ruben at the start, but he sounded good too. 

When Clay mentioned being exhausted and how he was sure the final 2 were now, it reminded me that the contestants of old were worked much harder. Besides learning their songs, they had to learn the group performance (*pours one out for the long lost Pointy Pose*) and do all that Ford advertising filming. Do they still put the contestants up in the Idol Mansion nowadays? 

I did!! She truly has not aged an iota, it was a little spooky. Camille Velasco from that same season was also from Hawaii.

They announced a second leg of the tour tonight on Instagram with dates going into 2024.

They were coming to my town, I thought later this year, but I just looked and it was in April, boooo. I'd love to go to their show and sink back into 2003 for a minute. Maybe they'll come back nearby in this new leg of the tour.

I have to admit I was actually surprised by the result, I was sure it'd be Colin, country fans have such a stronghold on this show. But his last few weeks weren't great. Well nobody was great last week, but I can't recall any of his performances outside of the stunning Dancing on My Own, which was hands down my favorite performance of the season.

I liked Iam and his duet with James Blunt had me genuinely crying (with a recent loss in my own family, that song is pretty haunting). James Blunt has an odd stage presence, but he sounded good and it was a moving performance. 

Overall it's just harder to care who wins in this speed version of Idol. Not like the aforementioned battle Royale of Ruben vs Clay, which was just a powderkeg by the time the finale rolled around. Now, we just don't get enough time to really invest in the contestants. But I would have been happy with any of the final 3 winning, they were all good. 

My favorite random bits were: Seacrest's gleeful mugging during the Pitbull song that namechecks him. That skinny little frosted-tipped leprechaun of the early aughts who started this little summer show hosting gig could never have dared to dream so big. :p 

And Colin had the line of the night with "None of y'all peed when you saw me." I genuinely laughed out loud, he was a funny kid.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

To settle the "Grammy" topic:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_for_American_Idol_contestants

Or was the sentence about Chayce completely unrelated to its preceding sentence about winning a Grammy?

And since I'm being pedantic, "most commercially successful....since the switch to ABC" seems a strange criterion. 

I have paid scant attention to this season and most of the others since Adam. But I still will predict: If Iam is already a "resort singer" in Hawaii, that's where his future lies. 

So Kelly, Carrie, Fantasia, JHud, and Mandesa are the only Grammy winners.  I’m still very impressed with Gabby.  I don’t think winning a Grammy is an automatic for Iam.

about Zach’s duet with Kevin.  He’s getting up there so not surprised he can’t hit the notes like in the past.  

• Like 2

Welp folks, I'm officially out! This was a travesty of a season and Iam, while being a nice guy, shouldn't have even gotten to Hollywood week, IMO. It's just a tongue bath of the chosen one all season long and I don't have time for this nonsense anymore. Bye AI, you should never have come back again.

• Like 5

It absolutely saddens me that AI has deteriorated over the years. Just proves that all the flash doesn’t replace actual talent and real judges. It’s gotten so big it’s lost its soul.

How about some constructive criticism and STOP telling me who should win!!! The voting is out of control. Each person should get one vote, but then they couldn’t brag about the millions of voters. 

How about using former contestants to judge? There’s got to be better than these three ass kissers. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
50 minutes ago, MissPriss said:

How about using former contestants to judge? There’s got to be better than these three ass kissers. 

I keep saying it, but you’re never going to get judges with active careers to be critical. Not in an era where the internet is dying to cancel everyone of any status for anything. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
12 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

The most commercially successful Idol (since the switch to ABC), wasn't even a winner. Gaby Barrett is a legit female "Star" (maybe not quite Superstar) in Country Music. She ended up marrying Foehner from her season of AI and he's now her touring guitarist so I guess he's reaping some of her rewards as well.

I think people in Country Music still have some hope for the two from last season (Noah & Huntergirl), but as of yet they haven't really broken through onto current country radio. To be honest, Chayce (at least anecdotally basing it on listening to the Highway & our local FM station that plays current country music) hasn't really made much of an impact either. I know that 23 song was certified Gold (which the show celebrated earlier this season), but I feel that must mostly be coming from digital streams outside of radio play..

Outside of Country, who is there? Lauren Spencer-Smith (from the filmed at home, Covid season that Just Sam won) has had a bit of success with a song called "Flowers". Beyond that, I guess Alejandro has had some indy success as Scarypoolparty...but that's about all I can think of..

If Gabby Barrett is "a legit Star" - then so are lots of alums from the early years of Idol.  She's had some initial success, but it's too early in her career to call her a star.

Lauren Spencer Smith had a huge hit with Finger Crossed, a song she wrote, on Pop radio/chart.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, MissPriss said:

How about some constructive criticism and STOP telling me who should win!!! The voting is out of control. Each person should get one vote, but then they couldn’t brag about the millions of voters. 

Not to mention that the voting starts each week BEFORE the contestants even perform!  It's a popularity contest at best, and an outright fraud at worst.  (I still find it hard to believe some of the results, so I question production interference with the "voting".)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
On 5/22/2023 at 6:27 AM, thesupremediva1 said:

Clay and Reuben were the best of the night. Clay still sounds better than everyone. Wish I could have voted for him.

Nutsa and Lucy still mugging at every turn. Confused as to how those two got headline duets and guys like Warren had to share 5 seconds of stage time with someone else. Very unfair to them and the people who voted. 

This season was fine, but the best talent left early. These three were evenly matched so it was a fun finale where anyone could have won. However I think IAM has been miles ahead since his audition.

James Blunt still looks and sounds amazing. Love him!

I haven’t watched this show regularly in ages.  I was a big fan until about 2014 with winner  Caleb Johnson, who helped continue with the success North Carolinians had with the show, such as Clay Aiken, Scotty McCreery, Kelly Pickler, Fantasia, Chris Daughtry, etc.  I dropped by to see how the finale went and how it was received. I may watch this episode to see just how much it’s changed.  I catch some moments occasionally.  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, cowgirlwen said:

Not to mention that the voting starts each week BEFORE the contestants even perform!  It's a popularity contest at best, and an outright fraud at worst.  (I still find it hard to believe some of the results, so I question production interference with the "voting".)

I used to suspect voter fraud until we managed to get rid of attention whore Lucy and stripper wannabe Nutsa the week after the judges saved them from Americas vote. I think if there was tampering happening on that end, at least one of them (probably Lionel’s angry adopted daughter) woulda made it a bit longer. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I always enjoy the finales for the spectacle if nothing else.  I'm anti-Nutsa from way back but I wonder how someone like Kylie Minogue feels about having to go on AI and duet with a nobody in order to pimp her new album.

ANYWAY.  I was perfectly happy with Iam's win.  The best singer rarely wins AI so at least we got someone a little different who seems like a good kid.

• Like 4