Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E19: Finale

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, cowgirlwen said:

Not to mention that the voting starts each week BEFORE the contestants even perform!  It's a popularity contest at best, and an outright fraud at worst.  (I still find it hard to believe some of the results, so I question production interference with the "voting".)

Idol has ALWAYS been a popularity contest.  Voters vote for different reasons - based on personal taste, preference.  And there is no such thing as the best singer.

NAH to fraud.  The network, Idol has to abide by strict FCC guidelines.  Besides, if show had been changing the votes, we would have seen several different outcomes with the winners.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, twilightzone said:

Idol has ALWAYS been a popularity contest.  Voters vote for different reasons - based on personal taste, preference.  And there is no such thing as the best singer.

NAH to fraud.  The network, Idol has to abide by strict FCC guidelines.  Besides, if show had been changing the votes, we would have seen several different outcomes with the winners.

Yep. People become fans of one or another and even if they went out there and stunk up the stage, people would still vote for the favorite they've decided on. I'm sure there are casual voters who can be swayed by a breakthrough performance, but in general, American Idol has always been fanbases forming and sticking like glue. 

I feel bad for Iam that people's anger at the show is being directed at him, he certainly didn't control the narrative or the way the show chose to focus on him and his very recent loss of his dad. Losing a parent at 18 is incredibly young, I can't hate on a kid for being sad over his dad's death.

His duet with James Blunt is up there with Colin's Dancing on My Own as my favorite performances of the season and the only things I've chosen to revisit on Youtube. 

As a sidenote: if James Blunt is ever looking for a side gig, he could easily step into the Barry Gibb role in a Bee Gees cover band, he sounds remarkably like him.

• Like 5
On 5/23/2023 at 10:02 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I haven’t watched this show regularly in ages.  I was a big fan until about 2014 with winner  Caleb Johnson, who helped continue with the success North Carolinians had with the show, such as Clay Aiken, Scotty McCreery, Kelly Pickler, Fantasia, Chris Daughtry, etc.  I dropped by to see how the finale went and how it was received. I may watch this episode to see just how much it’s changed.  I catch some moments occasionally.

I really like Scotty McCreey and wondered why he was not one of the alumni invited back to preform?  Ok well, I guess you could say that about the rest of the alumni you listed along with him.  I just remember he did a song on his final that was so good I rewatched multiple times back then.  

And Kelly Clarkston is another one that I would think AI would want on the show, considering her success and talk show.  It would have been good coverage/promotion for both AI and Kelly.  

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, gaPeach said:

I really like Scotty McCreey and wondered why he was not one of the alumni invited back to preform?  Ok well, I guess you could say that about the rest of the alumni you listed along with him.  I just remember he did a song on his final that was so good I rewatched multiple times back then.  

And Kelly Clarkston is another one that I would think AI would want on the show, considering her success and talk show.  It would have been good coverage/promotion for both AI and Kelly.  

My guess is that because Kelly is on The Voice (though I think she's leaving? I don't watch it), she would be contractually prevented from being on Idol. Though I agree, she would be a great person to have on! It's also possible that some people, including Scotty, could have been invited back, but said no to performing for whatever reason (maybe it didn't fit in their schedule? Or there was bad blood for some reason?)

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, MarylandGirl said:

My guess is that because Kelly is on The Voice (though I think she's leaving? I don't watch it), she would be contractually prevented from being on Idol. Though I agree, she would be a great person to have on! It's also possible that some people, including Scotty, could have been invited back, but said no to performing for whatever reason (maybe it didn't fit in their schedule? Or there was bad blood for some reason?)

I forgot Kelly was on the Voice.  I don't watch The Voice anymore.  Pretty much for the same reason I stopped AI years ago.  I think my last season with AI was when Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey were co judges.  It was cringe worthy at best.  Those two went after each other to point it was distracting.  Or maybe it was after Harry Connick Jr left.  I can't remember, but the point I am trying to make is the repetition of the judge's tongue licking comments to every contestant was too much.  It gets so old and unfortunately my better half likes to watch it ALL.  I would fast forward through that crap if I had my way.  So, I jumped into this season and hated the format as AI already picked who was going to be the top 24 or this year the top 26 before they even went to Hollywood.  

And it is and always will be a popularity contest and not so much a singing contest. JMHO

• Like 2
4 hours ago, gaPeach said:

Scotty seems to have done very well for himself.  He’s steadily released music and toured since his win.  Pretty good.  He seems to have a great lifestyle.  He and his wife had a baby last year.  

• Like 2
17 hours ago, gaPeach said:

I forgot Kelly was on the Voice.  I don't watch The Voice anymore.  Pretty much for the same reason I stopped AI years ago.  I think my last season with AI was when Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey were co judges.  It was cringe worthy at best.  Those two went after each other to point it was distracting.  Or maybe it was after Harry Connick Jr left.  I can't remember, but the point I am trying to make is the repetition of the judge's tongue licking comments to every contestant was too much.  It gets so old and unfortunately my better half likes to watch it ALL.  I would fast forward through that crap if I had my way.  So, I jumped into this season and hated the format as AI already picked who was going to be the top 24 or this year the top 26 before they even went to Hollywood.  

And it is and always will be a popularity contest and not so much a singing contest. JMHO

I think I totally blocked out the season(s) with Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey because it was so bad. Someone mentioned them judging, and I didn't remember that they'd been judges. Harry Connick Jr. was great, as he would actually give constructive criticism. I tend to start watching a bit late so I can skip over the judges' comments now, as they're worthless!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MarylandGirl said:

I think I totally blocked out the season(s) with Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey because it was so bad. Someone mentioned them judging, and I didn't remember that they'd been judges. Harry Connick Jr. was great, as he would actually give constructive criticism. I tend to start watching a bit late so I can skip over the judges' comments now, as they're worthless!

Oh yes. I recall them.  The show has really evolved….lol.

• LOL 1

I read that Kelly had fulfilled her obligation to Idol and is no longer bound to the show in any way. That it was a punitive contract that they never expected anyone to actually survive until she did. 

Clay and Rubin sounded good. What on earth was Clay wearing……..

• Like 2