Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

(edited)
21 hours ago, FrancescaFiore said:

Aw, you're sweet. Teenage me could've used that advice, but now I'm well into my 50s and have made the transition from short girl to little old lady. I'm good with that - until the next time something at the grocery store is on a shelf too high for me to reach. Then I'll go back to cursing my itty-bitty parents for the itty-bitty DNA.

See, I envy you.  I was 5 feet 8 inches by grade 8 and felt like a freaking giraffe half the time.  I have since shrunk to 5 foot 6 at age 58.   Sigh.......

My six foot seven inch hubby gets asked on the regular to get things off shelves for others, lol.  Finding clothes can be problematic!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, KateHearts said:

Eh, call me old-fashioned but I do think that some things, while normal and not necessarily "cause for concern," are best kept private or discussed at home with the family (especially for younger kids) than broadcast on TV constantly. Just as kids are taught that they don't display certain body parts in public. There is such a thing as appropriate vs not.

To be fair, Gabe has his own YouTube channel where he discusses himself and trans issues.  paboga gabriel - YouTube

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Anyone watch the newest TLC "matchup show," Match Me Abroad? Same formula, but this time they are using overseas matchmakers to find mates for Americans who can't find one here- and for obvious reasons: a NYC 52 year old woman who has a mile-long checklist for a mate and has a dog who she treats like a child; a man with Autism who wears Hawaiian shirts, wants a prenup before meeting a woman because he wants to protect his "potential millions" he hopes to earn as an inventor of thousands of things; a woman who, at 32, has never left her hometown and never so much as gone on a date in her life. Of course, I'm watching.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 8
4 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

Anyone watch the newest TLC "matchup show," Match Me Abroad? Same formula, but this time they are using overseas matchmakers to find mates for Americans who can't find one here- and for obvious reasons: a NYC 52 year old woman who has a mile-long checklist for a mate and has a dog who she treats like a child; a man with Autism who wears Hawaiian shirts, wants a prenup before meeting a woman because he wants to protect his "potential millions" he hopes to earn as an inventor of thousands of things; a woman who, at 32, has never left her hometown and never so much as gone on a date in her life. Of course, I'm watching.

Me too...I'm just weak...

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

a NYC 52 year old woman who has a mile-long checklist for a mate and has a dog who she treats like a child; a man with Autism who wears Hawaiian shirts, wants a prenup before meeting a woman because he wants to protect his "potential millions" he hopes to earn as an inventor of thousands of things; a woman who, at 32, has never left her hometown and never so much as gone on a date in her life.

these all have to be fake/wanna be "stars" right?? 😨

• Wink 2
  • Applause 2
7 hours ago, KateHearts said:

Eh, call me old-fashioned but I do think that some things, while normal and not necessarily "cause for concern," are best kept private or discussed at home with the family (especially for younger kids) than broadcast on TV constantly. Just as kids are taught that they don't display certain body parts in public. There is such a thing as appropriate vs not.

"Appropriate" is a matter of choice and cultural evolution.  There are things that shouldn't be "that difficult" to discuss.  Example: there are "bloody" things we watch on television and speak of freely that no one even 20yrs ago would have imagined. "Too gruesome."  I worked for the company that makes the Pacemaker.  My city had a small (900 employees) factory that made a hybrid circuit for that device...earliest 1980s.  My boss was one of the founders of the local company and he went to various service clubs (Rotary, Kiwanis, political clubs, women's clubs, etc.) to educate the masses on the Pacemaker.  A simple surgical procedure was featured in the video he always showed.  A couple of men actually fainted... people were very upset by "the graphic nature" of the video.  Definitely NOT graphic by today's standards. 

Not that many years later, we were all watching "real" surgeries and "realistic" surgeries on television...often during dinner.  Things change; mores change.  That's "mor-ays".

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

BTW those who subscribe to the Max streaming app (which used to be HBO Max until two days ago) now have access to a lot of TLC content.  That’s good for those (like me) who never subscribed to Discovery Plus.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
On 5/21/2023 at 8:51 PM, MrBuhBye said:

She said she is not sexually attracted to young men and rebuffed his advances so I don’t think she knows what a marriage is.

Hmmm?  Did I miss something? Was she going to Morocco to get married? 

She  did say that as far as romance, she "prefers a seasoned gentleman," (which doesn't refer to the seasons of the year).  By rebuffing the awkward advances of a truly awkward con-man she didn't give me any hint of not knowing what a marriage is. 

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Hmmm?  Did I miss something? Was she going to Morocco to get married? 

She  did say that as far as romance, she "prefers a seasoned gentleman," (which doesn't refer to the seasons of the year).  By rebuffing the awkward advances of a truly awkward con-man she didn't give me any hint of not knowing what a marriage is. 

She said she wanted to marry him.  But for most a sexless marriage isn’t a real marriage.  There is a reason that people refer to consummation.  

• Like 2

I'm finally watching part 2, and (of course) I feel the need to interject before I finish watching.

Am I the only one who is surprised that all the American participants are surprised at Rishi's mom? Clearly, Rishi's mom thinks Jen's too old. I don't recall either of them discussing children, .

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Stuckathome said:

these all have to be fake/wanna be "stars" right?? 😨

They are "something", all right. I just haven't determined what.

However, if the matchmakers were to suddenly flip out; take a stand and give each member a blistering reality check, I'm all in. Sign me up!

We're long overdue for audience satisfaction, via cold, hard facts, delivered while holding a metaphorical mirror up to these entitled celebrity wannabes. (Ahem, Natalie, Darcy, Jesse, Ed, Liz, Coltee,etc, as well as this idiotic bunch).

That might even be worth a ppv...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 5/23/2023 at 10:35 AM, Mr. Miner said:

If I see another eyeroll or bug eyes from the dwarf with the tattoo on his head, I'm going to lose my fucking shit!

He does like exaggerating his facial responses, and he thinks he's being witty with his confrontations, but he looks the fool because his questions often aren't that "hard hitting" or even important to us viewers.

It's a shame he thinks this posturing is necessary as a male, because i  really liked Gabe's core character in the beginning. I'm not sure who  "reunion Gabe" is, and I don't like him. Isabella looks equally confused.

Edited by Chalby
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 5/24/2023 at 2:40 PM, Hotel Snarker said:

Really did not like how passively everyone seemed to treat Kris. And she’s caught lying, but everyone just accepts whatever dumb thing she says next at face value. I wouldn’t trust Kris if she told me the sky was blue and grass was green. She was physically abusive on TV and not one word was said about it.

I CANNOT get over how disgusting this cast acts towards Rishi. Debbie mocking the way he talks?? Them all commenting on how Rishi can’t get words right? They don’t understand Indian culture??? They really showed how American they can be. It makes me sick.

Yes, and Yes... Great post!

I have found that the last two years' cast members have allowed a lot of bad behaviour to go unchallenged. I NEED to hear the Tim's, etc.put the Jesse's invtheir place, or at least call people out in their obvious lies. Kris has lied every time she's on camera, and nobody is calling BS? Remember that creep pursuing Mahagony? Why didn't someone call out his use of scripture to justify his obsession?

Listening to them re: Rishi made me worried for the future of America's geriatrics. Why is everyone so against having parents/grandparents close and helping look after them? Growing up, my Dad built a duplex on our property, and his Dad moved into one side and my mom's mom into the other.

I loved it! And every Sunday we meet up at one of the three places, and have a proper Sunday dinner, followed by card, dice, or board games.

• Like 2
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, Chalby said:

Yes, and Yes... Great post!

I have found that the last two years' cast members have allowed a lot of bad behaviour to go unchallenged. I NEED to hear the Tim's, etc.put the Jesse's invtheir place, or at least call people out in their obvious lies. Kris has lied every time she's on camera, and nobody is calling BS? Remember that creep pursuing Mahagony? Why didn't someone call out his use of scripture to justify his obsession?

Listening to them re: Rishi made me worried for the future of America's geriatrics. Why is everyone so against having parents/grandparents close and helping look after them? Growing up, my Dad built a duplex on our property, and his Dad moved into one side and my mom's mom into the other.

I loved it! And every Sunday we meet up at one of the three places, and have a proper Sunday dinner, followed by card, dice, or board games.

According to the clickbait sites, Ben and Mahogany are still engaged.  It wouldn't be unheard of for them to show up on a new season.   TLC likes to recycle.  Just a matter of time before we see Bibi and Ari again..

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 4
On 5/24/2023 at 9:05 PM, goofygirl said:

If all else fails, I just stand on that first shelf and GO FOR IT!

Oh girl, I could tell you some stories of climbing up/falling off grocery store shelves! I've also become very adept at using other items in the grocery store as tools. A nice baguette is usually long enough to knock whatever I need off of a high shelf. But I do have to be crafty!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, FrancescaFiore said:

Oh girl, I could tell you some stories of climbing up/falling off grocery store shelves! I've also become very adept at using other items in the grocery store as tools. A nice baguette is usually long enough to knock whatever I need off of a high shelf. But I do have to be crafty!

a spatula is a big help

• LOL 1
11 hours ago, Chalby said:

Baltimore Betty, your comments have been hilarious and spot on. I've become a huge fan of your posts. Thanks for the giggles.

I sincerely thank you and I am very flattered because most times I feel like I cannot keep up with you and the other posters, the fine art of snark is alive and well on these boards and I am proud to be among you all!

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 4
14 hours ago, FrancescaFiore said:

Sometimes aisles will have tings or long spoons. Those work, or a trip to housewares to get something long. Not always the high shelves. The last of the item is at the back of the shelf. Store staff are supposed to monitor shelves, but….

• Love 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Not that many years later, we were all watching "real" surgeries and "realistic" surgeries on television...often during dinner.  Things change; mores change.  That's "mor-ays".

I get it. And I'm a surgical person, and get that "appropriate" can be vary by person. I have a brother in law who can't even READ about a surgical procedure without nearly passing out. 

I guess I'm thinking (as a grandmother) that we teach our 4 y/o granddaughter that saying "I farted!" or running around the house stark naked are ok around us, but not at school or in the grocery store.

(PS- putting in pacemakers was probably one of the least bloody surgeries we do!)

Edited by KateHearts
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, KateHearts said:

(PS- putting in pacemakers was probably one of the least bloody surgeries we do!)

I agree...and STILL in the early 80s Americans weren't accustomed to seeing ANYTHING like that.  Unlike today.  I probably wouldn't have been able to watch Dr. Pimple Popper then either ... but I am fascinated every week.

5 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I guess I'm thinking (as a grandmother) that we teach our 4 y/o granddaughter that saying "I farted!" or running around the house stark naked are ok around us, but not at school or in the grocery store.

Ahhh...I agree with that, but I also believe 4yr-olds should know and use the correct terms for their little body parts...and their functions. A body part is a body part is a body part. Starting there (even though uncomfortable for some parents) and evolving as the child gets older should make things so much easier--on the adults.  I know it won't happen.  My kids are in their 50s and I'm still waiting for their "vocabulary" experiences to be common.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 5/25/2023 at 7:12 PM, Chalby said:

I CANNOT get over how disgusting this cast acts towards Rishi. Debbie mocking the way he talks?? Them all commenting on how Rishi can’t get words right?

Yeah!  How many languages do THEY speak??   And we wonder...well, I guess we don't...why our citizens are disliked when they travel to other countries.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
On 5/25/2023 at 7:18 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

See, I envy you.  I was 5 feet 8 inches by grade 8 and felt like a freaking giraffe half the time.  I have since shrunk to 5 foot 6 at age 58.   Sigh.......

I was "the tall kid" in our extended family, "Look at those long legs!"  I was 5'3" when I graduated from high school! and learned my legs were NOT long. My mother was one of five siblings. No female (including her mother) reached five feet and her brothers were 5'6". Of course I was TALL to them! At 21 I was a massive 5'5" and stayed until old age came creeping in.  Now I'm 5'3" and just moved the daily dishes used most often to a lower shelf that's reachable without a step stool. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Very very late to the party but Mahmoud and his brother laughing like school children over his potential infidelity was disgusting. Brother claimed to have Nicole’s back and his laughing and threatening to hide her passport tells me everything I need to know about that trash bag. Imagine if Nicole did that? She isn’t even allowed to wear a tank top. Debbie backing all the wrong horses ( Kris and Mahmoud) tells me she is a moron. I lost patience for her a few episodes back. Mahmoud the strict Muslim…telling his wife to cover up while running around in tight clothes smoking. No.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/22/2023 at 2:17 PM, lu1535 said:

One of my first questions to Rishi's mom would have been "are you still shopping for a wife for your boy?" I wanted a discussion on what happens when a wife is found for him. That's got to put a curdle in the milk.

Rishi isn't required to accept - or even meet - any of them.

He said in a previous episode he hasn't met any his mother has found thus far. 

On 5/22/2023 at 2:17 PM, FrancescaFiore said:

Maaaaaan, Rishi got brutalized from every angle! In some ways entirely fairly, but in other ways why isn't Jen equally culpable for the relationship continuing, despite Rishi's parents rejecting her? And her rejecting what they want, as well? Why didn't anyone take her to task for continuing to see him and engage romantically with him? She's a grown woman and she should at some point be held accountable for her own actions and choices instead of putting that all on him. 

I agree; he was brutalized. Why have none of these people - including Jen - spent five minutes with Google to see if there might be another reason for his insistence that he must care for his mother beyond just loving her?

I did. 

Jen is having a hard time denying her love for Rishi, and Rishi is likewise finding it difficult to deny his love for Jen.

Because that's what they'd have to do to leave their relationship permanently.

Think about the person you've loved the most in your life. If the two of you were forced to end the relationship due to circumstances beyond your control, could you have?

If you did end the relationship, would you cease to love them? 

How long do you think it might take for your love of them to fade? Days? Months? Years?

If and when you started dating other men, would you compare each man to your Great Love?

Would that be fair to the men you dated? 

How likely do you think it would be that you'd find another man you'd grow to love as much as you loved the man you'd had to break up with? 

My point is that even if both Jen and Rishi agreed to end their relationship and stuck with it, doesn't mean either one of them will ever find someone they'll grow to love as much as they loved each other. So if they were to marry other people, they might always feel like they settled. 

That's why they're continuing their relationship. 

On 5/23/2023 at 12:36 PM, lightninggirl said:

Rishi has a brother, but he seemed to be a little slow so I'm not sure if he's 100% capable of supporting himself + the parents. He also might be the younger brother, not assertive, or expected to support the mom/uncle/family so that's why it appeared that Rishi was solely responsible for floating everyone.

On 5/24/2023 at 3:11 PM, KateHearts said:

Sumit has a brother (older, I think) so maybe the legal responsibility for caring for parents falls on the eldest son?

In India, all of the groom's parent's adult children, and all their children-in-law, are required by law to support them. 

So: all of their adult children and their children's spouses - both male and female - must contribute to the support of Rishi's parents. 

If Rishi's brother has a disability, he may be exempt from that responsibility. 

On 5/24/2023 at 5:40 PM, Hotel Snarker said:

Debbie casually being racist by mocking Rishi’s accent and people on stage actually laughed? Wow. Disgusting. Debbie, you are not nearly as eccentric or as charming as you think you are. She’s in it for the screen time, but her true colors are starting to show. Give this post a 😢 if Debbie being a delusional racist made you instantly hate her.

I CANNOT get over how disgusting this cast acts towards Rishi. Debbie mocking the way he talks?? Them all commenting on how Rishi can’t get words right? They don’t understand Indian culture??? They really showed how American they can be. It makes me sick.

Yes. Yes. Yes, and Yes!

(⬆️Those are my reactions to the rhetorical questions you included in the portion of your post I quoted here).

I really liked Debbie a lot before she did that. I was going to write a post about her in which I was planning to mention a number of times when Debbie identified red flags in things Oussama said, and did exactly what should be done in those situations. 

But I won't, because she's dead to me now.

Stone. cold. dead. 

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Correcting autocorrect. Good times!
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, FrancescaFiore said:

Oh yeah, but if I'm all the way in the produce department I will happily just use one of those extra long Asian cucumbers.

😁🤐

On 5/26/2023 at 7:25 PM, Back Atcha said:

I was "the tall kid" in our extended family, "Look at those long legs!"  I was 5'3" when I graduated from high school! and learned my legs were NOT long. My mother was one of five siblings. No female (including her mother) reached five feet and her brothers were 5'6". Of course I was TALL to them! At 21 I was a massive 5'5" and stayed until old age came creeping in.  Now I'm 5'3" and just moved the daily dishes used most often to a lower shelf that's reachable without a step stool. 

I hear ya, I'm no longer 5'7.5... and as I inch towards 60, the students who were always shorter than me, are now at eye level (to their amusement only, heh). I wonder how tall Gabe will be at 55?

• Like 1
On 5/26/2023 at 9:13 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

(⬆️d Debbie a lot before she did that. I was going to write a post about her in which I was planning to mention a number of times when Debbie identified red flags in things Oussama said, and did exactly what should be done in those situations. 

But I won't, because she's dead to me now.

Stone. cold. dead. 

I get frustrated with Debbie because she appears to be this open minded creative spirit looking for a partner. But her behaviour at the reunion tells me that in her youth she was probably referred to as lovely, outspoken creative, eccentric or fiesty. Rather than opening her mind and world to others' lifestyles (or moral responsibilities) she came across as racist and ignorant. This IS the real Debbie and she needs to let go of her '70s persona as it is not attractive.

This show reverted back to making Americans look so ignorant and horrible. Yet, it started with the Americans looking like a solid, kind group. Not anymore.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
44 minutes ago, Chalby said:

I get frustrated with Debbie because she appears to be this open minded creative spirit looking for a partner. But her behaviour at the reunion tells me that in her youth she was probably referred to as lovely, outspoken creative, eccentric or fiesty. Rather than opening her mind and world to others' lifestyles (or moral responsibilities) she came across as racist and ignorant. This IS the real Debbie and she needs to let go of her '70s persona as it is not attractive.

This show reverted back to making Americans look so ignorant and horrible. Yet, it started with the Americans looking like a solid, kind group. Not anymore.

Absolutely!

I was thinking about what I would have done had I been a cast member.

If, prior to filming the Tell-All, the producers told us there were things we could and could not say, I would have agreed to comply.

But when Debbie mocked Rishi and the other cast members laughed, I would have gladly put my paycheck on the line and said:

"Wait. Stop. You just mocked Rishi's accent. And the rest of you found that funny. 

Rishi speaks at least two languages: Hindi and English. How much Hindi can any of you speak? 

Debbie, what you said wasn't just rude; it was racist. You owe Rishi an apology. And while you're at it, you should thank him for being such a gentleman, because I sincerely doubt he'd even consider mocking your own eminently mockable Southern accent in reply."

Now I realize they probably would have edited that out, and maybe refused to pay me (breach of contract or something) but I would have said it regardless.

It's something that would have been just as important to me to say even if it was only the other cast members that heard it. 

• Fire 1
  • Applause 2

When someone says "The customer service call centre is in India and they could barely speak English", I respond "I promise their English is better than yours. Perhaps your problem was with their accent?"

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

"She needs a hug, man." I'm trying to rewatch Part 2, and 10 minutes in I'm ready to tune back out because of Nicole, Debbie and Danielle. Debbie sounds like a hippie from the 60s/ 70s who dropped too much acid. Nicole's tears and numerous apologies ("I'm so sorry my love") make want to drink. She should be embarrassed for actually marrying this toad. There's no prince popping out after this kiss. And Danielle is also a toad (who thinks she's a princess). Talk about delusional.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 5/26/2023 at 9:13 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

(⬆️Those are my reactions to the rhetorical questions you included in the portion of your post I quoted here).

I feel bad your replies are all combined because I would give a laugh, an encore, heart, and thumb's up for the areas you covered. As for Rishi, I like the idea of a family compound, much like we saw for Nicole and Mahmoud, Armando's family ( before kenny), and with Danielle's husband's family.

In North America, go to any seniors home and you'll see there are a lot of residents who have no family visiting, usually due to distance. I begged my mom to move in (she'd have an in-law suite) but she didn't want to change cities.

Edited by Chalby
  • Like 1