Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E17. Come Fly With Me

• Start Topic

Teddy calls an emergency meeting to discuss the intern program. Link wrestles with his own self-doubt as he preps for a massive surgery, and Nick shares some much-needed guidance with a struggling Lucas.

Airdate: May 4, 2023

Because living on cereal and grilled cheese and no sleep because you're working a second job on top of the ridiculous hours of a medical resident are so conducive to learning well. And super great for patient safety, too. I know I want my doctor to be as tired and malnourished as possible. 

Why is a surgical resident solely responsible for monitoring a patient's blood sugar and insulin? Don't nurses do that sort of thing? Was literally no one else watching the patient? 

(I swear every episode I start at least one sentence with "Why is a surgical resident doing...")

I wanted to smack Owen every time he talked over Link. Stop making promises on behalf of another person.

• Like 19
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I wanted to smack Owen every time he talked over Link. Stop making promises on behalf of another person.

I'm with you.  I'm sure Owen would complain to high heaven if another doctor did that to him. 

• Like 6

I know that I've ranted before about the voice overs but:
"Though when there is no data, any move can be extremely scary. We have to solely practice medicine on a hunch, relying on instincts and hope. ..  Before there was a cure for diabetes, scientists followed their instincts and gave sick children an experimental extract called insulin. As terrifying as it was, that risk has now saved millions of lives."

When they say "instincts", they mean years of research and experimenting on animals and human subjects? Which is hard medical work, not instincts but maybe it doesn't count because Banting and Best weren't surgeons.

Mullin, you may be the emergency contact but when Max says "don't call her", Blue can't call you.

I really wouldn't want anyone who has been operating on me for 10 hours to do another 9. And Shut Up Owen.

The show got really right Lucas' ADHD.  Spot on from "I have a long list of things for you to do; write them down" to the distraction and hyperfocus of knowing aviation facts. The writer, Kingsley Ume, must either have ADHD himself or live with someone who does. (Also it's been obvious for years that Amelia has ADHD so maybe someone should tell her to get diagnosed too.)

I said a few episodes ago that Yakuda should have been given a research grant but I'll take the resident grant as close enough.

I hope Helm is coming back now. I need more people on the show that I like.

• Like 6

I’m tired of the whining, snotty interns. I agree interns need less hours and more pay but I also don’t want to watch people be rude to each other. Simone and Lucas are ok but I can’t stand the rest. They are missing the connections and charisma of the original MAGIC.

• Like 4

I had trouble feeling empathy for the ortho patient. He was that injured because he did something inherently very risky. It's not like he was hit by a car riding his bike on the street or, say, wounded in combat. So I wasn't invested in that like I feel I should have been. Plus, I doubted that they'd have LInk lose another patient so soon after the football player. And if he did, then it would have been on Owen anyway.

Couldn't they have sort of split the difference and done surgery on the two limbs that were most at risk for infection first, then done the other two later? Maybe a leg and an arm, so he'd at least keep one of each? (OK, that sounded sort of weird.) Agreed that it was ridiculous to have just random non-ortho surgeons working on him. Isn't this a time to bring them in from other hospitals?

As soon as the elderly woman (blanking on her name) said she was dizzy, and it was probably no big deal, I figured she was a goner. Plus, Blue leaving her. She was still alive at the end, right? Hopefully, they'll follow up on her.

Nick was being a jerk to Lucas at first, but glad he talked to him about ADHD at the end--and shared that he had it, too. Also was nice to see Amelia apologizing--and Winston not accepting it.

• Like 6
15 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I really wouldn't want anyone who has been operating on me for 10 hours to do another 9. And Shut Up Owen.

The show got really right Lucas' ADHD.  Spot on from "I have a long list of things for you to do; write them down" to the distraction and hyperfocus of knowing aviation facts. The writer, Kingsley Ume, must either have ADHD himself or live with someone who does. (Also it's been obvious for years that Amelia has ADHD so maybe someone should tell her to get diagnosed too.)

I hope Helm is coming back now. I need more people on the show that I like.

First and foremost: SHUT UP, OWEN!

And 1000 time YES to Amelia having ADHD and why the hell hasn't anyone held that mirror in front of her face? Is it because it's "too easy" to blame everything on her addictions?

The whole "bartending Helm" needs to stop. Having Schmitt be the one and only senior resident is also ridiculous. They need Helm. 

• Like 4
15 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I know that I've ranted before about the voice overs but:
"Though when there is no data, any move can be extremely scary. We have to solely practice medicine on a hunch, relying on instincts and hope. ..  Before there was a cure for diabetes, . . .

This made me crazy because there's not yet a "cure" for Type 1 diabetes, which is what she's referring to.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, pvandal said:

In a family of doctors, wouldn't Lucas' ADHD have been already noticed by someone?

I thought that it was realistic. First there are probably other members of the family with ADHD who would have had the same problems so Lucas' wouldn't have been that notable. The six week psychiatric rotation medical students get is more oriented to the major disorders like schizophrenia and bipolar affective disorder than ADHD. In a hospital, they may not even see a patient with ADHD because it's mostly treated as an outpatient.  When my kid was diagnosed withit, the family member most reluctant to believe it was a doctor who has ADHD himself.

37 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

And 1000 time YES to Amelia having ADHD and why the hell hasn't anyone held that mirror in front of her face? Is it because it's "too easy" to blame everything on her addictions?

Especially for her family who we've seen scapegoating her.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Shellie said:

This made me crazy because there's not yet a "cure" for Type 1 diabetes, which is what she's referring to.

Yeah. Insulin helps manage it, but cure, especially for type 1…nope.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I thought that it was realistic. First there are probably other members of the family with ADHD who would have had the same problems so Lucas' wouldn't have been that notable. The six week psychiatric rotation medical students get is more oriented to the major disorders like schizophrenia and bipolar affective disorder than ADHD. In a hospital, they may not even see a patient with ADHD because it's mostly treated as an outpatient.  When my kid was diagnosed withit, the family member most reluctant to believe it was a doctor who has ADHD himself.

Especially for her family who we've seen scapegoating her.

I agree. I think we can sometimes miss things about ourselves that we see in others, especially if they aren't parts of us we're ready to accept. My mom clearly has anxiety issues, but would never admit that. And she was very reluctant to help me get treatment for my own anxiety, let alone accept it in me.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, pvandal said:

In a family of doctors, wouldn't Lucas' ADHD have been already noticed by someone?

In addition to the other things mentioned, they might have missed it while working long hours building their careers. 

• Like 4

I can buy Amelia having ADHD, but if it took this long for Lucas to be identified, it will take much longer for her. She's a woman and AD/HD tends to be underdiagnosed in females as it is.

• Like 3
(edited)

Once again, I question why Yasuda is the special snowflake amongst the other new interns. Don't they all need a raise? Why is she singled out for this grant?

Are we supposed to hate Owen? Is that what the show is telling us? I don't understand why he inserted himself into this case or what the hell his military background had to do with the daredevil jerk who broke all his bones base jumping.

I’m tired of the whining, snotty interns. I agree interns need less hours and more pay but I also don’t want to watch people be rude to each other. Simone and Lucas are ok but I can’t stand the rest. They are missing the connections and charisma of the original MAGIC.

They aren't working for me either. The fact that I have to look up their names on imdb every time I post says a lot about how poorly the show has handled them. It has utterly failed to make me care about any of them.

I really don't get how this show is still on the air.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 8
(edited)
37 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Once again, I question why Yasuda is the special snowflake amongst the other new interns. Don't they all need a raise? Why is she singled out for this grant?

I think it's because she is the only one who needs it because she has to work a second job.  The others don't.  It's like colleges that give grants to poor students who also get loans, work-study jobs, etc. in order to attend, while others have parents who can afford it without them needing grants and work study jobs.

Edited by izabella
  • Like 3
31 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

They aren't working for me either. The fact that I have to look up their names on imdb every time I post says a lot about how poorly the show has handled them. It has utterly failed to make me care about any of them.

Also I feel like 99% of the comments that name Yasuda spell her name wrong in some way (often seems to be some conflation of her first and last names). I know three mostly by first name - Lucas, Simone, Jules; one by last name - Yasuda; and then there's the guy who nicknamed himself Blue whose real first or last name I could not tell you without googling.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Are we supposed to hate Owen? Is that what the show is telling us? I don't understand why he inserted himself into this case or what the hell his military background had to do with the daredevil jerk who broke all his bones base jumping.

I really don't get how this show is still on the air.

Did they say whether Yasuda had to do anything extra as part of her job for it? Thinking of the work-study program that @izabella mentioned. I wonder how the other interns will react if/when they find out? I hope they'd be happy for her, but if any of them are having some struggle with money, I could see some potential jealousy or resentment there.

And agreed about Owen inserting himself in that case. I feel his military background would make sense if the guy had been injured in combat. Or, I don't know, a freak accident during a military training drill.

I like the new interns, but don't feel particularly invested in them. If they said the intern program was getting shut down again, and they were all getting transferred elsewhere, I'd be like, "oh, well." Though I would miss Lucas and Simone. I just don't think the others have been fleshed out enough to make me care about them as individuals, vs. a general "It's wrong that interns have to take a second job to afford to live."

• Like 2
(edited)
On 5/7/2023 at 12:10 PM, MarylandGirl said:

Did they say whether Yasuda had to do anything extra as part of her job for it? Thinking of the work-study program that @izabella mentioned. I wonder how the other interns will react if/when they find out? I hope they'd be happy for her, but if any of them are having some struggle with money, I could see some potential jealousy or resentment there.

Yep. Blue is paying for his mother's medical debt. Maggie didn't offer him keys to Meredith's house so that he could save on housing expenses. Teddy and them didn't offer him a grant to help him pay his debts faster. They didn't give Jules free housing with her peers, either.  

Mika is living FOR FREE in Lucas' aunt's home and is so resentful that he has affluent, well-regarded relatives and can afford fancy breakfast sandwiches that she keeps calling him nepo baby. 

It's not his fault that several of his relatives worked at the sometimes terrible, horrible, no good, very bad Grey Sloan and one of them offered him a chance to complete his residency there. Now if his mother or one of his other aunts got him an internship at their presumably better hospitals, those residents might have reason to be upset. But Grey Sloan is understaffed and rebuilding. Someone they've been trying to get to return to the hospital is tending bar! Owen only recently got his license back. It's unlikely that Lucas Shepherd Adams took a spot from a better candidate. 

The only time Mika wasn't my least favorite intern was when she told Lucas she was Team Skywalker in the fight for Simone's heart. 

Edited by Rae Spellman
corrected a few typos
  • Like 3
  • Applause 4

I think a lot of people who have ADHD hide it well.  My daughter had ADHD and dyslexia and I was so concerned about the dyslexia that I almost didn't notice the ADHD for a long time...and honestly you have to get the ADHD under control before you can get the dyslexia under control.  People who have these undiagnosed issues hide it by learning to cope in other ways.  Hopefully he will get the help he needs now because I think he has great potential as a character.

Just my opinion, and I didn't like Owen's high-handedness, but Link definitely needed the kick in the butt to get over his insecurities stemming from the loss of the football player and the subsequent bullying he received because of it.  I think his confidence was severely undermined.  Hopefully now he will go back to being the character he was and we can see some cool ortho cases from him...and as for long surgeries - I think they happen more often than we think.  I know for instance in separating conjoined twins that there are large teams of personnel working on them but the primary surgeons are there for the whole surgeries.  

Might be in the minority but I am still enjoying Grey's and I'm okay if it stays on for a little while more (and although some of you complain you are also still watching it...LOL!).  I don't watch much network television these days (actually I think Grey's and Station 19 are the only two) and I have a day's delay before I can watch Grey's but I still pull it up on Saturday mornings and watch it.  It's like watching old, dysfunctional friends and I like the familiarity.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 5/7/2023 at 2:10 PM, MarylandGirl said:

She walked into that meeting thinking she was about to be fired for always being late and tired, and messing up at work dropping things during surgery.  Part of the reason they gave her this grant is so she could show up to the hospital awake and alert, not half asleep and exhausted from her second job.  I don't think they'd want to pile extra work on her.  They want to help her become a good doctor.

That's an interesting question about the others.  I don't remember much about their backgrounds or financial status.  They could probably apply for a grant, too, if they needed it, or just ask for one.  The hospital is desperate to keep its intern program going.

Edited by izabella
  • Like 2
On 5/6/2023 at 5:38 PM, Quark said:

Link having a go at Owen was glorious. I need to see more of that. 

Owen was such an ass this entire episode. Do they want us to hate him?

As far as the Yasuda plot line, while the grant is a nice idea, they ALL need salary increases. Right now, there are hospitals all over the country that are having residents vote on being unionized. It has its perks and drawbacks. I would actually like to see that portrayed on this show. It would be timely. However, I don’t know if they have the talent to pull off the nuances of the situation.

• Like 4
On 5/6/2023 at 3:38 AM, Madding crowd said:

These interns suck.  They annoy me so much.  I think I would rather go back and watch the old episodes.  Mind you, the other doctors are boring me too.  Seriously, the group of department chiefs or random selection of doctors discussing intern pay was bizarre.  I am genuinely wondering how this show will be sustained another season.  They seem to have run out of ideas for new episodes.

• Like 2