Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Hate Me Tender

• Start Topic

Daisy is overwhelmed with the high-maintenance guests and struggles to ask for help, so a request from Gary sends her over the edge; when a guest injury occurs on the water toys, Capt. Glenn goes into high alert.

Airdate: 05.08.2023

What is with this franchise eventually turning on the chief stews and trying to make them look incompetent?

• Like 8
On 5/3/2023 at 7:13 AM, TexasGal said:

What is with this franchise eventually turning on the chief stews and trying to make them look incompetent?

And let's hope Glenn and the other MEN apologize--especially to Daisy after watching the shows.  Or, in what seems to be the Reality Show Jargon: "Watching back" the shows.

• Like 8
(edited)

Why couldn't the medic do the stitches? 

Disappointed in Captain Glenn. Anyone can serve drinks in the tender. What exactly is the deck crew doing while they're anchored & all the guests are off the boat. Putting the interior a stew down is problematic when it comes to all the guest facing things they're responsible for: housekeeping, cabins, laundry, dinner/party setup, dishes etc. There's a reason we so often see the deck crew eating together in the crew mess or hanging out in the cockpit. They're only all busy when docking.

Sick of hearing Gary bitch. Why the hell would a stew need to drive the tender? No wonder Daisy supposedly gets with Colin, at least he's willing to lend a hand when help is needed.   

Edited by snarts
  • Like 7
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2

Like a loudmouth guest overdosed on steroids, these comments are in the order of the episode broadcast.

Watching Alex drunkenly stumble through the opening scenes is showing a pattern.  The chap gets so blitzed he can barely walk.  I don’t think we’ve seen the end of it by far.

As Gary presided over the morning meeting with his deck crew it was kind of funny to hear him emphasise he wanted the hot tub washed.  Hmmm, who was last in it and doing what… let’s see…

The scene between Colin and Daisy declaring multiple times they were “not hooking up with anyone” – major foreshadowing?

Ileisha shows off her previous circus skills!  Now that’s flexible!  All the better to twist out of Gary’s grip.

Not sure at this point if the drama between Gary and Daisy is real or hyped up for the show.  Although Gary is proving to be rather a dick so far this season. 

The guests really kept the interior crew hopping.  Lots of different orders for different things – you can’t accuse them or the chef or the interior crew of being lazy at this point.

What’s the point of showing Chase in his bunk farting?  It was his break time, he was trying to rest – was the fart necessary?  Was it even real (or just added with foley work)?  Just seemed odd and out of place.  And tactless.

Stew to guest -- “You son is so nice and well brought up”.   Guest reply -- “don’t know why, his dad’s an a-hole”.  Love to see harmony in families.

Once again Ileihsa crushes the dinner, even though there are multiple restrictions and requirements.  Especially after all the special orders during the day.  And no drama!  She’s a treasure so far.  I keep saying “so far” because this show has got me punchy, with some sort of trouble always around the corner.

What will happen next week?  Will Gary mutiny?  Will Daisy mutiny?  Will everyone work “smarter not harder”?  What will the next drunken wander of Alex look like?  Stay tuned, if you can keep calm and carry on…

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I usually like Glenn, he has a nice vibe about him but I feel like he is getting pep talks from Sandy, he has said he wants a stew to go on all tender rides, beach visits, etc...knowing full well that things on board do not stop when the guests are off the boat, I feel like he was told to add  drama by keeping the interior department shorthanded.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I usually like Glenn, he has a nice vibe about him but I feel like he is getting pep talks from Sandy, he has said he wants a stew to go on all tender rides, beach visits, etc...knowing full well that things on board do not stop when the guests are off the boat, I feel like he was told to add  drama by keeping the interior department shorthanded.

I agree that this seems like it could be a producer move. But since I like Glenn so much, I'd like to offer another possibility:

Maybe when those first charter guests criticized the service, it really freaked Glenn out. Daisy has always done such good job that he is not used to hearing critiques about the stewardesses from guests. What we're seeing now may be his excessive response to those comments. Not a good move on his part, but I'd rather it be an honest overreaction than to think Glenn is now controlled by  the producers.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3

I laughed when Alex called Gary "Farquaad." Is Gary really that much shorter than Alex?

These really are demanding guests. I didn't understand why they were asking for all this stuff - food, drink, a football?!? - while they were sailing. They should have just sat back and enjoyed the ride. They can eat and drink any time. Clearly they were not all that interested in sailing.

Now, I hate to ever say this, but I do think Gary has a point, albeit a minor one. It's true that Daisy does ask the deck crew for all sorts of favors, like whenever she's putting some sort of entertainment together for the guests. Yet she gets her knickers in a twist if Gary asks for a stew to go on the tender.

I get that sending one of the stews to set up the beach picnic was a mistake. All the guests were still on the boat and running Daisy ragged. So Daisy was right to be upset about that. BUT - if all the guests are off the boat, on the tender, I see no problem sending one of the stews with them to serve drinks. The other two stews should be able to handle cleaning while the guests are gone.

So far, though, this has to be one of the most amiable new crews we've ever seen. All the drama so far is coming from veterans Daisy and Gary.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Now, I hate to ever say this, but I do think Gary has a point, albeit a minor one. It's true that Daisy does ask the deck crew for all sorts of favors, like whenever she's putting some sort of entertainment together for the guests. Yet she gets her knickers in a twist if Gary asks for a stew to go on the tender.

I think her attitude might partially be a holdover from a previous season when Gary asked for a stew whom he fancied to serve drinks on the tender. At that time, Daisy called his bluff and went herself, demonstrating that a stew wasn't really needed at that time. Like @Jsage, I think Glenn might be slightly overreacting to the previous guest's complaint. After all, we've seen them not need a stew on the tender for several seasons now -- I'd rather think that than think that production told him to do it. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

a football?!?

The fact that the guests asked for a football where no football is played is odd...how did it come about the idea of throwing the football from the tender to the boat? What would you do with a football on a sailboat anyway, you certainly should not go long you might go overboard! 

Also, the kid asked for a milkshake, the idea of drinking a milkshake in the hot sun and being under sail made me gag a little for me that would be the perfect storm, sea sickness and lacto intolerance 🤮.

Loud guy guest sounds like he is complaining even when giving a compliment and I think he was low key blaming the crew for his friends being stuck in the ER over night.  

Why would they ask Gary and not the captain to join them for dinner? If Gary was wise he would tell them he would like to join them for a drink (one drink) and then leave and he better arrive with said drink that he made himself because I would wonder if Daisy would spit in my drink, lol.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I think it's certainly possible, I remember a year or two ago where Glenn was interviewed with Captain Lee and he was saying (unlike Lee) that he never gets noticed  in airports. Lee replied,  "don't wish for that, you may get it".  Glenn may just be the grist for the mill that Bravo molds. I am going to give Glenn the benefit of the doubt (as Jsage mentioned) that he was just over-reacting to previous guest complaints. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

They should have just sat back and enjoyed the ride. They can eat and drink any time. Clearly they were not all that interested in sailing.

I've been around  "ragtoppers" all my life. These were definitely not sailing aficionados. I think Bravo got together a vetted group and assigned them a slot. I actually don't think they were that demanding though. Five star service means never giving the guests a hint they are a PIA...even if they are. Guests can be very perceptive. It's unfortunate that Bravo lowers the bar and gives those that have never chartered a real motor yacht the impression that there is all this angst on the high seas. sort of like thinking Judge Judy is the way most courts run. The kids politeness was very refreshing though.

• Like 6

Guest lowered my opinion of him right from the get-go by asking for an eXpresso martini. Not to mention saying "we're sailing like a motherf&%$#er now."

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

Stew to guest -- “You son is so nice and well brought up”.   Guest reply -- “don’t know why, his dad’s an a-hole”.  Love to see harmony in families.

it was a stew that answered that.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
53 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Why would they ask Gary and not the captain to join them for dinner? 

They asked the boy who should join them, and he suggested Gary, someone he'd probably interacted with more than the captain. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I don't think the guests were very demanding.  The crew expects to get different requests for drinks.  The milkshake and the grilled cheese were a little out of left field, but not really hard to make.  I appreciated how concerned the primary was about his injured friend.

I totally see where Daisy is coming from.  When the guests are off the boat is the only time the stews have free rein to clean the cabins.  If you take one stew to serve, then the cleaning force is reduced by 1/3 and now involves someone who is probably supposed to be on her break so that she can stay up late.

• Like 12
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

I don't think the guests were very demanding.  The crew expects to get different requests for drinks.  The milkshake and the grilled cheese were a little out of left field, but not really hard to make.  I appreciated how concerned the primary was about his injured friend.

I totally see where Daisy is coming from.  When the guests are off the boat is the only time the stews have free rein to clean the cabins.  If you take one stew to serve, then the cleaning force is reduced by 1/3 and now involves someone who is probably supposed to be on her break so that she can stay up late.

I was disappointed in the presentation of that grilled cheese sandwich, no chips or any garnish on that plate, it was sad.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Glenn may just be the grist for the mill that Bravo molds. I am going to give Glenn the benefit of the doubt (as Jsage mentioned) that he was just over-reacting to previous guest complaints. Time will tell.

I also think Glenn is a bit closer to Gary than Daisy. After the first season Glenn asked Gary to stay on board for the summer while the boat was returned to wherever it came from, so I think Gary works on that boat with Glenn even when they aren't filming a season. It's quite possible that Glenn is more likely to take Gary's side in something, like if Gary says there should always be a stew when guests are in the tender so she can serve them.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
12 hours ago, rur said:

I think her attitude might partially be a holdover from a previous season when Gary asked for a stew whom he fancied to serve drinks on the tender. At that time, Daisy called his bluff and went herself, demonstrating that a stew wasn't really needed at that time. Like @Jsage, I think Glenn might be slightly overreacting to the previous guest's complaint. After all, we've seen them not need a stew on the tender for several seasons now -- I'd rather think that than think that production told him to do it. 

Maybe Daisy should continue to assign herself the role of serving drinks on the tender.  It may be the only "break" she gets all day.  I do feel bad for the interior- they are always busy and work hard all day long.  Gary said last week that if Daisy needs anything, all she has to do is ask, yet when she did, he complained and got upset.  

I think it is pretty wild that Gary wants one of the stews to drive the tender so his crew is available to ready the yacht for sailing.  Although, again, that may be the highlight of a stew's day... a few minutes to drive a boat around in the ocean.  Sounds much nicer than scrubbing toilets.

• Like 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I totally see where Daisy is coming from.  When the guests are off the boat is the only time the stews have free rein to clean the cabins. 

Also, it's a break from the "service with a smile" persona and being around all those people and interruptions.

If the crew would lay off the booze and get enough sleep, there'd be fewer meltdowns.

I don't like seeing Gary complain to Glenn about Daisy, or rolling his eyes at her when Glenn is present. That's a dismissive attitude.

How refreshing! A chef who doesn't throw a temper tantrum because some of the guests are vegetarians. Chefs act as if vegetarians are lepers.

Mads resembles the actress Erika Christiansen.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 6

There’s weird energy this season. Daisy, Gary, Glenn are all off.  The previous chemistry is gone.  Why?  What has happened? 

It is weird. Usually the drama comes from the newbies. Either the stews are at each other's throats or there's a deckie who just wants to lounge around and play. Or both. But so far all of the new people are just lovely and hard workers! Maybe the casting people at Bravo went "Woops! We accidentally cast nice people! How did that happen? Gary, Daisy - you're going to have to pick up the slack and be the jerks this year."

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
21 hours ago, meep.meep said:

They could have edited it so that it seems like they're constantly demanding drinks and little snacks.

Also when Daisy goes into her cabin at the end because it's all so much and you hear her sob, that was probably added in post.

They have cameras in the crew cabins.  So why would they use that shot where you can't see her face?  Because they could add the sobbing in post and make it look like she had a little melt down.

Daisy is too much of an old hand to be overwhelmed by all this.

Being down one stew is hard but normally they have one doing laundry or the cabins and only two doing service.

Worse comes to worse she can get one of the deck crew or Colin to help fulfill these little requests.

But there are only 6 guests, so two stews serving them while they wait for the tender to take them out to the beach isn't that impossible.

• Like 1
On 5/9/2023 at 8:54 AM, iMonrey said:

I laughed when Alex called Gary "Farquaad." Is Gary really that much shorter than Alex?

These really are demanding guests. I didn't understand why they were asking for all this stuff - food, drink, a football?!? - while they were sailing. They should have just sat back and enjoyed the ride. They can eat and drink any time. Clearly they were not all that interested in sailing.

I get that sending one of the stews to set up the beach picnic was a mistake. All the guests were still on the boat and running Daisy ragged. So Daisy was right to be upset about that. BUT - if all the guests are off the boat, on the tender, I see no problem sending one of the stews with them to serve drinks. The other two stews should be able to handle cleaning while the guests are gone.

So far, though, this has to be one of the most amiable new crews we've ever seen. All the drama so far is coming from veterans Daisy and Gary.

I guess Daisy sees the crew taking breaks, enjoying down time smoking, playing with the toys and she isn’t even getting a break.  That what was what they showed us, through her eyes. I think the deck crew is expected to help especially during the evening meal, we see that all the time, I don’t think it’s a favour.  It happens on all the yachts.  

The BIG guest takes issue with small things lol like the table and the grilled cheese.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
On 5/9/2023 at 9:27 AM, rur said:

Agree, this is not the first time we’ve seen some underling tension between Gary and Daisy.

• Like 2

They have cameras in the crew cabins.  So why would they use that shot where you can't see her face?  Because they could add the sobbing in post and make it look like she had a little melt down.

I'm not disputing the possibility that the sobbing was added in post, but they don't have cameras in the bathrooms and that's where Daisy was. I do find it hard to believe she'd just go to her cabin and cry in the middle of service though. She's been doing this long enough, it's not like she hasn't been run ragged before.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
On 5/10/2023 at 6:54 AM, pasdetrois said:

I don't like seeing Gary complain to Glenn about Daisy, or rolling his eyes at her when Glenn is present. That's a dismissive attitude.

Agreed!  And I think he's done this for at least the prior season too.  I feel like he has a very "Daisy <eyeroll> amirite?" energy about him that rubs me the wrong way.

• Like 12
9 hours ago, Midwestern Lady said:

I actually didn't like Daisy in this episode and hope it's not a trend.   I thought she was really whiny.    I have seen way more demanding guests so I didn't really get her vibe.  

I think it was more than the demands of the guests, she has been off since the first episode incident with the guests and she feels the crew has more demands when they can manage fine without taking one of her stews along for the ride, maybe a pity party but she’s obviously upset and hurt by recent incidents imo.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, endure said:

I think it was more than the demands of the guests, she has been off since the first episode incident with the guests and she feels the crew has more demands when they can manage fine without taking one of her stews along for the ride, maybe a pity party but she’s obviously upset and hurt by recent incidents imo.

I agree and it seems to me that part of her anxiety is that she feels she is displeasing Glen.  She brought this up in one of her talking heads.  I wish she would sit down with Glenn and she could tell him how she feels and he could let her know how much he appreciates her and her team.  Glenn is very good at being supportive, as we saw with Ileisha's "overcooked" lamb incident.  He just doesn't know that he has contributed to Daisy's worries right now.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
51 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Glenn is very good at being supportive, as we saw with Ileisha's "overcooked" lamb incident.

I'm glad she didn't get overly upset about the lamb. It look perfect to me.

• Like 1
(edited)

So, the guests are supposed to pay a small fortune for a charter and I can only guess they are insured, 
which is why a medic can come on board on request. Still, the insurance doesnt seem enough to cover for
a private clinic or something similar, instead a guest must wait 14hours (!!!) in a public hospital just for a few stitches..
And all that in Sardinia, with a population of 1.6millions, which is the second largest island in the Mediterranean and I suspect it has a big number of hospitals..oh wait I just searched and it even has a medical system for tourists.

Snif..snif... do I smell production shenanigans? 

p.s.
Really Bravo? sleeping farts? you did a survey and you think that your viewers enjoy listening to farts?

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Zaffy said:

a guest must wait 14hours (!!!) in a public hospital just for a few stitches

My family visited US ERs twice during the pandemic. They were overwhelmed with patients and we waited on hallway gurneys and even the floor. The critically ill were of course seen first, and there were many of them. On one visit we arrived at 10am and were not admitted and assigned a hospital room until 11:30pm.

The yacht guest was not critically ill so I can see why he had to wait so long.

9 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

My family visited US ERs twice during the pandemic. They were overwhelmed with patients and we waited on hallway gurneys and even the floor. The critically ill were of course seen first, and there were many of them. On one visit we arrived at 10am and were not admitted and assigned a hospital room until 11:30pm.

The yacht guest was not critically ill so I can see why he had to wait so long.

Which is why you take your rich guests to a private clinic instead of a public hospital, since you must have insured them anyway.
We have to believe that expensive yachts clients just go to a public ER for minor injuries?

• Like 3

I'm no expert, but I wondered why the "medic" who came to the boat couldn't do a few simple stitches. I mean it wasn't someplace where you'd want a plastic surgeon to do it (as I waited for in the ER for when my preteen son got a bad gash on his face; time well spent IMO)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
20 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

I fell last month and split my foreheard open.

8 hours at the ER, 22 stiches and $8800.

Wow, no insurance?

Or is that what they billed your insurance?

• Like 1

The insurance paid $6200 of it.  I have a high deductible and low premiums.  Being reasonably healthy, I'm still ahead of the game.

Back when I was working, a $500 deductible cost $50 a momth more than $1000, so you would pay an extra $600 a year if you never use it.  It's a racket.

• Fire 1
  • Useful 1

It's a great scam, sometimes insurance pays way less than 50% of the price billed or a person paying their own bills would pay. 

Does seem like producer shenanigans that the medic couldn't put in a couple of stitches if a captain in the middle of the Bering sea can.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 5/8/2023 at 6:31 PM, snarts said:

Putting the interior a stew down is problematic when it comes to all the guest facing things they're responsible for: housekeeping, cabins, laundry, dinner/party setup, dishes etc.

There are so many "little" interruptions that stop the flow.  The stewardesses are always pleasant and say, "Yes, of course," no matter how inconvenient the many requests are.  They'll get 4-5 requests in a row and the captain has no clue--nor does the "charmer" Gary.  PLEEZE let the Captain watch the beach scene where those two had nothing to do but rest and play.

On 5/12/2023 at 8:26 AM, SemiCharmedLife said:

I agree and it seems to me that part of her anxiety is that she feels she is displeasing Glen.  She brought this up in one of her talking heads.  I wish she would sit down with Glenn and she could tell him how she feels and he could let her know how much he appreciates her and her team.  Glenn is very good at being supportive, as we saw with Ileisha's "overcooked" lamb incident.  He just doesn't know that he has contributed to Daisy's worries right now.

Sit down with him and show him innumerable video clips that would ENLIGHTEN him.  Show him why a stew is UNNECESSARY on most of the beach visits.  Show him how many drink requests are given...one after another.  Show him the guests that often require that stews unpack, hang, steam, pack, etc.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
On 5/17/2023 at 10:28 AM, Shrek said:

Does seem like producer shenanigans that the medic couldn't put in a couple of stitches if a captain in the middle of the Bering sea can.

May I be contrary here for a moment? Outside of the set pieces like beach events, 10-course meals, theme parties, crew night out, jacuzzi antics, I think we give "production interference" far too much credit; it's the editors that make the drama anyway.

In this case, having a guest off the boat and off camera is worthless to production, not to mention the medical liabilities for an untreated head injury.

Similarly, Ep 1, engine drama is not something that needs to be cooked up nor do I think the show would sneak into the engine room to sabotage it for a storyline. Again, the liability for breaking the boat. Sitting at the dock doesn't make for great television, either.

I don't think they get involved, for example, with hiding ice bags for a beach party in the name of drama. The crew is more than capable of making its own mistakes. Sailing a vessel like that is dramatic enough by itself, add weather, seas, crew and guest casts and there's more than enough material for editors to work with to create story lines and themes.

• Like 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, SG429 said:

May I be contrary here for a moment? Outside of the set pieces like beach events, 10-course meals, theme parties, crew night out, jacuzzi antics, I think we give "production interference" far too much credit; it's the editors that make the drama anyway.

In this case, having a guest off the boat and off camera is worthless to production, not to mention the medical liabilities for an untreated head injury.

Similarly, Ep 1, engine drama is not something that needs to be cooked up nor do I think the show would sneak into the engine room to sabotage it for a storyline. Again, the liability for breaking the boat. Sitting at the dock doesn't make for great television, either.

I don't think they get involved, for example, with hiding ice bags for a beach party in the name of drama. The crew is more than capable of making its own mistakes. Sailing a vessel like that is dramatic enough by itself, add weather, seas, crew and guest casts and there's more than enough material for editors to work with to create story lines and themes.

I don't remember actually saying any of that & if you can find where I did please let me know. Please don't make it look like I did in future.

I just questioned why a trained medic couldn't put in a couple of stitches when a boat captain in the Bering sea could and asked if it might be producer driven just for that and nothing else. 

Edited by Shrek
1 minute ago, Shrek said:

I don't remember actually saying any of that & if you can find where I did please let me know. Please don't make it look like I did in future.

I just questioned why a trained medic couldn't put in a couple of stitches when a boat captain in the Bering sea could and asked if it might be producer driven just for that and nothing else. 

No, of course, and I meant it only as the latest example of crediting or dis-crediting Production Shenanigans for a "real" reality moment. A cast member was involved in an accident with a propelled water toy to the head. I think it's a different circumstance and protocol than it would be without head trauma, and that nobody involved with the show or the vessel would want the liability.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Honestly and it's probably not popular but I am so over Daisy this season.  She wants everyone to help her but when it comes to helping the other dept she doesn't want to. Past seasons she got mad at Glenn for wanting to  take the guests sailing and had a bit of a fit about it.  She can't do that this season and I'm glad.  I'm glad he is biting back to her.  I don't feel sorry for her and it seems if she doesn't get her way she cries when she is called out.