Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Masters

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

In the second game I got James's missed DD of "ephemera."

I was yelling "ephemera!" at James, but alas, he could not hear. 

• Applause 1

I can't watch Yogesh win. It is too painful.

I don't recall the last time I viscerally disliked a contestant so strongly - and I don't think I felt this way prior to his comments after his initial run.

• Like 9

Goddamn, Victoria, you go get 'em!  I'm sure her being fresh helped, but she's just frakkin' good. 

I love whoever said "No" upon learning there's something called "petfluencers".

I wish they'd always leave clues in categories like "The Kernel of the Clue" up on the screen like they did tonight (I still only got a couple of them, but I'd have had no idea if only up for the time it took Ken to read them).

Like last time, I'm not bothering to track my performance, just jotting down any TS I get.  There generally aren't many, as my brain is off the clock by the time this starts, never mind ends.  I do know I did better overall in the second game than the first, surprisingly, but it would be more accurately described as sucking less.

I only got Robert Mitchum and Virginia Woolf of the first game's TS, but I did also get the missed DD of sewing machine as an instaguess I figured was right.

In the second, I only knew Martha Wash and only because it being a TS gave me extra time to come up with her last name at the last second ("Martha Washington ... um, no ... Wash!").

I didn't know either FJ.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was yelling "ephemera!" at James, but alas, he could not hear. 

I knew you’d know that one!  

I’m terrible at seas and oceans but Robert Mitchum, come on. 

TCM is showing a new to me Mitchum movie right now!  Fun. 

I haven’t been watching Jeopardy for a while but I decided to pop back in for this tourney. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Got Hulu?
🥛

No.  I might look for it on youtube.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Trey said:

No.  I might look for it on youtube.

Should be available through OnDemand, too, if you have that, since it's a network thing.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Does anyone know if the show likes to have triple stumpers? I've noticed more of them in the regular games lately, but thought it was because I didn't see many during the endless tournaments. But then there were some in Masters last night, which I didn't expect. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

What's the deal with Yogesh?  I'm not familiar with him.

When he appeared in this year's ToC, I vaguely remembered that many people took issue with some social media posts he made after his initial run of games.  So I went back to that season's thread and skimmed through what was said at the time.  I suspect if I delved further into it, I'd agree with this take, but I've never bothered to delve.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

What's the deal with Yogesh?  I'm not familiar with him.

Consider yourself lucky.

GO GET THAT JACKASS, VICTORIA!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
On 5/1/2024 at 8:39 PM, Kimmmmmm said:

Rooting for James all the way. After that, anyone but Yogesh.

I find the latter's "buzzer stick" (??) technique very annoying! 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I've noticed that too.  It's like he's trying to turn it into a version of Wii Jeopardy.  Over the years there have been a lot of interesting buzzer physical techniques by contestants.  Would be a fun clip to put together a lot of them to watch.  Body English doesn't usually win over the stealth buzzer skills.

• Like 7

I enjoy watching the Masters, and truly appreciate their knowledge. They are all brilliant - just ask them! LOL

Any one of them could win... it boils down to whose buzzer skills are best and then who luckily lands on the DDs (and questions correctly).

Being Canadian, I'm rooting for Mattea. Being snarky, I am not rooting for Yogesh. (There's a slice of me that is hoping Victoria leaves them all in her dust.)

• Like 7
(edited)

During the TOC, I thought he was going to shatter his buzzer. It's as if he is taking all of his aggressions out on the poor thing. It's distracting. 

Edited by Lady Lucy
  • Like 4

I quit watching Jeopardy! for a couple of years, as I didn't have time for it every day.  I forgot how the default is now to start with the high numbers.  It's still disorienting to this viewer who started watching in the Art Fleming era.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I quit watching Jeopardy! for a couple of years, as I didn't have time for it every day.  I forgot how the default is now to start with the high numbers.  It's still disorienting to this viewer who started watching in the Art Fleming era.

I drives me nuts when they start at the middle or bottom, then do all the clues in one category except the top clue, and then save all the top ones for last. Just finish the category!!!!

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I drives me nuts when they start at the middle or bottom, then do all the clues in one category except the top clue, and then save all the top ones for last. Just finish the category!!!!

They're not saving the lowest value clues so much as they are trying to accumulate as much cash as possible before the time runs out. It would be bad strategy to go for a $400 clue if it prevents them from picking up $1200 or $800 now.

I don't really understand why people start going for the 3rd and 4th rows in the Jeopardy round -- when you find the Daily Double too soon you don't have much to wager so the only benefit is that you kept it out of the hands of another player. During Matt Amodio's original run he tended to start with the bottom row and go across so that when he came to the Daily Double he had a good amount of money to wager.

I do think that when the category is a bit complicated it makes sense to choose it first and to start from the top in order to understand how it works (like the one where they had to find one word buried in the clue and add another central word to name the concept, e.g. "focal point"). Although I supposed if you are afraid of other people learning the key more quickly than you do you might not want to risk it.

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

They're not saving the lowest value clues so much as they are trying to accumulate as much cash as possible before the time runs out. It would be bad strategy to go for a $400 clue if it prevents them from picking up $1200 or $800 now.

I know why they do it; it just bugs me because I'm playing along and I want to finish the category! (Especially when it's a subject I like.) Also the more they jump around the more likely I am to get lost in my scorekeeping. (But I'm not counting how much money I would have won, just how many I got right.)

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I know why they do it; it just bugs me because I'm playing along and I want to finish the category! (Especially when it's a subject I like.) Also the more they jump around the more likely I am to get lost in my scorekeeping. (But I'm not counting how much money I would have won, just how many I got right.)

Oh, I know, I am disappointed when they avoid the categories I like or bounce in and out of a category that requires me to concentrate.  

• Like 2
(edited)

Trust me*; these fast players won't run out of board time. What their strategy of "Highest First" is, yes, get the money/points, but also find the DDs ASAP. 

*Here’s where I get to say, "I was on 'Jeopardy!' before some of you Whippersnappers were born! Now get off my lawn!" 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Life is too short for the way they choose clues to bother me. I just go with the flow.

While I agree with you in principle (and likewise talk myself down from judging players for their annoying tics) it really is harder for me when they don't select clues the "old way" (top down) because I am so easily distracted anyway. 
Sometimes I miss what the category is until the last 1 or 2 clues are revealed. 🙃

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Also the more they jump around the more likely I am to get lost in my scorekeeping.

Hah. I tried scorekeeping a few times. It's one too many distractions for me.
And there's really no point for me to keep score in the TOC or Masters. 
I am totally left in the dust. 
But I still enjoy following along as best I can, picking up an interesting trivia tidbit or two, and getting to see familiar faces — although often my high regard for these Master's abilities is shattered. 😟

Edited by shapeshifter
grammar
  • Like 5
40 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And there's really no point for me to keep score in the TOC or Masters. 

Oh, I don't bother in the Masters. Partly because the games aren't up on the archive before it airs like the regular games are. I copy the categories beforehand. If I try to write them down as they're revealed I'm almost guaranteed to be behind when they start playing. (I'm such a dork I built my scorecard in Excel and made a macro to clear it, paste what I copied from the archive, then copy and paste them into the right cells and clear them from the cells where they initially get pasted. 🤓)

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1

Never occurred to me to care one way or the other how they choose clues until I saw so many people on this board getting apoplectic about it. Still doesn't bother me at all.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Yay, Victoria!  (I also enjoyed watching her do the math on the DD.)

But boo, me.  Good gods.  Maybe I should start watching while I eat lunch the next day, well rested and stone-cold sober, as this whole 8-9 PM thing is not working for me.  It's like I've taken a vow of silence. 

At least I'm not tracking my performance like I do for regular games, just if I get FJ or any TS.  Because that would be depressing; I know I ran GnR and got all but the TS in Italian cooking in the first round, but I also know that was absolutely it across both games for great categories and in most categories I was terrible.

I did not get a single TS in either game, and had no guess for either FJ clue. 

The whole thing was worth it for everyone's reaction to the description of the GPA category.

• Like 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Never occurred to me to care one way or the other how they choose clues until I saw so many people on this board getting apoplectic about it. Still doesn't bother me at all.

All God's chillun gots preferences. Ain't  nothin' "apoplectic" 'bout it. 

I trust everyone is aware of this website:

https://thejeopardyfan.com/category/recaps

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

The whole thing was worth it for everyone's reaction to the description of the GPA category.

And after watching all the clues…I still didn’t understand it!

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I'm not "apoplectic," just not used to it yet.  I watched for so many years not even knowing it was allowed to go in a different order.  I thought it was part of the rules. 

• Like 3

Matt actually made a joke when he got to the last clue:

"Do not, under any circumstances, bring it!" Is there a controversy (beyond the confines of this forum, I mean) about people saying "Bring it!" that he might be aware of?

• Like 4
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I'm not "apoplectic," just not used to it yet.  I watched for so many years not even knowing it was allowed to go in a different order.  I thought it was part of the rules. 

Not you, but it drives others "insane". Anyhow, I hope it never becomes a rule...would be so boring.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yay, Victoria!  (I also enjoyed watching her do the math on the DD.)

Ditto and ditto, especially Victoria doing the math in her head. 🔢 🧠 ❤️

And Victoria's story of her daughter's dorm's rule prohibiting "emotional support lobsters" was fun. My guess is there was an allergy issue.

Maybe I should start watching while I eat lunch the next day, well rested and stone-cold sober, as this whole 8-9 PM thing is not working for me.  It's like I've taken a vow of silence.

That's what I did, but my brain really only lasted through the first round of the first game. If it only aired one day a week, and I watched it in pieces…
never mind. 
But I did get 2 TSs, which is my average for regular J!:
Iowa and Shiva
But I have no idea how I "knew" them.

…The whole thing was worth it for everyone's reaction to the description of the GPA category.

5 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Me neither. But I could imagine "The Response’s GPA" becoming the next big thing for The New York Times Gameplay section.

Amy's banter with Ken mostly went over my head, but I enjoyed the bits I managed to grok. 

So, pretty much the whole episode went over my head.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

7 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I'll take a stab at it, but the game's not up on J!Archive and I can't remember specific examples.  To even have a chance at getting it, you'd have to be familiar with the 4.0 grading system (which is pretty common in US high schools and colleges, but not universal), where A=4 points, B=3, C=2, D=1, and F=0.  All the responses were made up of those letters,  which you had to convert to their GPA equivalent.  So DAD would be 4+1+1=6, divided by the number of grades (3), so 2.0.  Or something like that.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'll take a stab at it, but the game's not up on J!Archive and I can't remember specific examples.  To even have a chance at getting it, you'd have to be familiar with the 4.0 grading system (which is pretty common in US high schools and colleges, but not universal), where A=4 points, B=3, C=2, D=1, and F=0.  All the responses were made up of those letters,  which you had to convert to their GPA equivalent.  So DAD would be 4+1+1=6, divided by the number of grades (3), so 2.0.  Or something like that.

Oy! 😆

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'll take a stab at it, but the game's not up on J!Archive and I can't remember specific examples. 

One was about limericks, and James' correct response was "What is AABBA?"
— which I only recall because I've been obsessed this past week with writing limericks to accompany my Wordle result posts — although I've taken some liberties with that scheme.

Okay. I just found it on Hulu at the 16:14 mark.
It was James' DD: 

• 3.6:
    LIMERICK RHYME SCHEME

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I think it took me about 3 clues to finally figure it out. When Ken explained it my brain just did not process at all.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And Victoria's story of her daughter's dorm's rule prohibiting "emotional support lobsters" was fun. My guess is there was an allergy issue.

I imagined someone taking advantage of the "emotional support" classification to keep lobsters in a tank before cooking and eating them. (My scheme would require them to keep only one at a time, however, so it doesn't seem that practical or advantageous.) 

Now that Victoria has opened up the scope of anecdotes to stories about other people maybe Amy can find new fodder. 

I just spent way too long writing paragraphs about whether anyone could read James' name, having tried to scan and translate it on my phone to bizarre results. In the process it occurred to me that the scan must have read it wrong, so I copied it by hand into Google Translate and confirmed that it means Final Boss. I like the fact that the dictionary linked below includes the suggestion "end-stage monster".

20240506_210248.thumb.jpg.722d4acf7fb79f2d4495b2ac1856f019.jpg

https://www.romajidesu.com/dictionary/meaning-of-ラスボス.html

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I just spent way too long writing paragraphs about whether anyone could read James' name, having tried to scan and translate it on my phone to bizarre results. In the process it occurred to me that the scan must have read it wrong, so I copied it by hand into Google Translate and confirmed that it means Final Boss. I like the fact that the dictionary linked below includes the suggestion "end-stage monster".

20240506_210248.thumb.jpg.722d4acf7fb79f2d4495b2ac1856f019.jpg

https://www.romajidesu.com/dictionary/meaning-of-ラスボス.html

I was just assuming it was his name in Japanese. I should know better by now.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1