Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Masters

• Start Topic

Wasn't Brad Rutter recently seen online saying he would be interested in a Masters Tournament? 

If between now and, say, mid fall, there are far fewer super champs than have been of late, I could imagine them postponing the Masters Tourney for a bit.

17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Wasn't Brad Rutter recently seen online saying he would be interested in a Masters Tournament? 

This was posted by TV Insider earlier today. It sort of dances around the idea. 

https://www.tvinsider.com/1095349/jeopardy-masters-brad-rutter-ken-jennings/

“I know our listeners know we got this little thing called the JIT, the Jeopardy Invitational Tournament,” Foss said, referring to the new tournament that will see former Jeopardy! greats competing to earn a spot in the 2024 Masters tournament.

“Many of you wondered, ‘Where’s Brad Rutter? How is he not part of Masters?'” Foss continued. “And yes, Brad Rutter has made more money on Jeopardy! than any other contestant in history; those stats are so impressive. So what we now wanna see is, how is Brad right now? Can he come to the JIT, competing against some other greats, and prove that he deserves a spot as one of the current greats in Masters next year?”

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

“I know our listeners know we got this little thing called the JIT, the Jeopardy Invitational Tournament,” Foss said, referring to the new tournament

Enough with the new tournaments!  Especially since they always have the same damn people in them.  And I like most of those people, but it's too much.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Enough with the new tournaments!  Especially since they always have the same damn people in them.  And I like most of those people, but it's too much.

Not me. I'm struggling to get interested in regular Jeopardy. Jared is helping me. He'd fit in with the Masters gang 😊.  Edited to say...oy vey. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
52 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Not me. I'm struggling to get interested in regular Jeopardy. Jared is helping me. He'd fit in with the Masters gang 😊.  Edited to say...oy vey. 

Jared has the personality for the Masters, but he would have been creamed.

• Like 2
(edited)

Bumping this up with info on season two:

- It will air from 8:00-9:00 EDT, on ABC, beginning Wednesday, May 1st.  It looks like that will be the only episode that week, but the following week and the one after it will air Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (so: 5/6, 5/8, and 5/10, then 5/13, 5/15, and 5/17).  The final week, it will air on Monday (5/20) and Wednesday (5/22).

- Ken will again host.

- The six contestants and how they got here:  Last season's Masters champion James Holzhauer, second place finalist Mattea Roach, and third place finalist Matt Amodio.  ToC winner Yogesh Raut.  JIT winner Victoria Groce.  The sixth contestant, chosen by producers, will be announced Friday (4/12).

And the main reason I bumped it now rather than waiting until after Friday's announcement:  Any guesses on who the producers' pick will be? 

When Victoria won JIT last night, I said I was thrilled yet kind of wished she and Amy could have somehow both won.  They could pick Amy, having told Amy and Andrew to keep their calendars clear as whichever one of them was the first runner-up would be their pick for the sixth slot, or they could have already had someone else chosen as the sixth.  If they go with someone who wasn't even in the JIT or this latest ToC, it will have to be someone much of the audience will remember, and who was a big enough champ to be included among the others.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

And the main reason I bumped it now rather than waiting until after Friday's announcement:  Any guesses on who the producers' pick will be? 

When Victoria won JIT last night, I said I was thrilled yet kind of wished she and Amy could have somehow both won.  They could pick Amy, having told Amy and Andrew to keep their calendars clear as whichever one of them was the first runner-up would be their pick for the sixth slot, or they could have already had someone else chosen as the sixth.  If they go with someone who wasn't even in the JIT or this latest ToC, it will have to be someone much of the audience will remember, and who was a big enough champ to be included among the others.

I speculated in the other thread that it might be someone well-known that we haven't seen in a while (the only names I could come up with off the top of my head were Brad and Buzzy, but Buzzy does the podcast and other J! stuff so I assume he's not eligible to play anymore). I would like Sam B just because I love him and would like to see him again. Wouldn't object to Cris Panullo, either.

• Like 1

Juveria would be a very good choice; or perhaps Ray Lalonde. I think they are both worthy of being in the Masters tournament.

• Like 7

Anyone except for Yogesh can win, thanks.

Although, I do want to watch him play against James.

Looking forward to seeing the rest back. I really like Amy so am happy she is back, but also sad that there are many other deserving candidates who don't get a chance.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
29 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Anyone except for Yogesh can win, thanks.

Although, I do want to watch him play against James.

Looking forward to seeing the rest back. I really like Amy so am happy she is back, but also sad that there are many other deserving candidates who don't get a chance.

I wonder if there was some kind of metric the show used to determine who got that sixth spot. Most lifetime wins? Most $ won? Most recently published book? I usually listen to the Inside podcast which comes out on Monday; I’ll try to remember to post if they explain it any further. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I like Amy, too, but I was hoping for someone we didn't just see. But I'm happy for her.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I like Amy, too, but I was hoping for someone we didn't just see. But I'm happy for her.

My understanding is that Masters is sort of like the premier league, where the top players return and the lower tier gets relegated. So I wouldn’t expect some dark horse player to get placed in Masters. So maybe Amy proved herself worthy of promotion? Anyway, between The Jeopardy Fan and the Inside podcast, maybe we’ll get more insider info eventually. 

• Like 3

#AnyoneButYogesh

Although truthfully, I'm no fan of James either. Victoria vs James could be quite a sight to see, though.

I'm happy to see the final slot go to Amy, even though I had been hoping that Buzzy would have been allowed to complete. The last we'd heard from the producers was, "You never know" a couple of years back. They seemed to be keeping the door open just a little bit. 

• Like 3

Happy for Amy; however, I was hoping the 6th would be my new love, Sam, or Brad as I'm a Team Brad fan from waaaay back.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Happy for Amy; however, I was hoping the 6th would be my new love, Sam, or Brad as I'm a Team Brad fan from waaaay back.

Amy makes sense from the perspectives of both game playing abilities and current zeitgeist, but, yeah, there were others I'd just like to see again — or maybe have a Zoom tea party with. 

• Like 3
(edited)

I have to say that, as much as I like Amy, I would have liked to see someone else in the tournament, as I suggested already Juveria or Ray Lalonde or someone else worthy, just to freshen the competition up a bit.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Bliss said:

I'm starting to think that it may be Brad who's been opting out of playing. It's very hard to believe that the producers would not have invited him to appear. It's kind of a glaring omission, now two seasons of Jeopardy Masters in a row.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I have to say that, as much as I like Amy, I would have liked to see someone else in the tournament, as I suggested already Juveria or Ray Lalaonde or someone else worthy, just to freshen the competition up a bit.

If this past year is any indication, there may yet be other Jeopardy invitationals to which Juveria or Ray LaLonde might be invited. 
I especially think Juveria is at her peak of performance right now.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I'm starting to think that it may be Brad who's been opting out of playing. It's very hard to believe that the producers would not have invited him to appear. It's kind of a glaring omission, now two seasons of Jeopardy Masters in a row.

That's been my thought for a while, either that or getting the time off is an issue. There's more to life than being in Jeopardy all the time.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

So… Watson? What’s he been up to lately?

That was a joke when I posted it, but now that I think more about it, I wonder how the current state of AI would fare in Jeopardy! 

• Like 5

I'm submitting my application to the Anybody But Yogesh Club. James was never a favorite of mine, but I'll be cheering him on (& all the others), hoping somebody will provide an early exit to Mr. Charm.

• Like 7

What I remember from the first Masters is enjoying the level of play, but suffering from "We just saw all these people and you invented a whole new frakkin' thing to get them back on our screen" fatigue and also my brain being in complete "I'm done for the night, sorry" mode by the time 8:00 rolled around.  (For me, the regular game airs at 7:00; I've just finished work, I watch at my desk and keep track of my performance, I make a drink during the first commercial break, I'm still fully "on".  By 8:00, for a whole hour, and at this level of play?  Nope, I'm in another room and my brain is off on another planet somewhere already recharging for the night and just sending back the signals I need for basic life functions, so all I noted was when I got a TS.  Wasn't much to keep track of, heh.)

My ranking of who I'd most like to see win (coming in, obviously; I may change my mind as we get going based on how everyone plays):

1. Victoria
2. Amy
3. Mattea
4. Matt
5. Yogesh
6. James

The difference between one and two is miniscule, and I put Victoria first simply because she won the JIT outright, while second-place finisher Amy got her slot as a producer's pick.

Mattea is just a hair behind the two of them, and then I couldn't decide what order to put Matt and Yogesh in, ultimately deciding on Matt first simply because I've "known" him longer, but they're effectively tied.

I can't say I like James, but I don't dislike him; his fans (including Alex Trebek) bugged me far more than he did during his original run, so he's not my last pick out of an "Oh gods, I hope he doesn't win" sentiment.  The first three I like a lot, so I'd be happy to see any of them win.  The other three, I'm not going to be angry if they win (unless one of them somehow does something odious during the competition), just giving them their kudos but bummed it wasn't one of my top three instead.

• Like 2
(edited)
58 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I cannot stand Mattea so I will sit this one out.

They got on my nerves during their run but bugged me a lot less during the last Masters. Hopefully that still holds.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

She got on my nerves during her run but she bugged me a lot less during the last Masters.

Mattea uses they/them as their pronouns.

• Like 1

Victoria is the real wild card in this tournament, and I wouldn't mind seeing her win. Even though the others have far more game experience than she does, she has proven that she's smart AF, and fast AF! I think she'll give all the pros a hard time. It should be fun to watch! 

• Like 4
On 4/12/2024 at 7:33 PM, Quickbeam said:

Of course the producers pick is Amy. 

Like, why even include in in the JIT if they were just going to put her in the Masters Tournament anyway?

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 4/12/2024 at 7:33 PM, Quickbeam said:

Of course the producers pick is Amy. 

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Like, why even include [Amy] in the JIT if they were just going to put her in the Masters Tournament anyway?

Sorting this out mostly for myself, I see:

1. There were 27 JIT participants: tvinsider.com/1126593/jeopardy-invitational-tournament-contestants-schedule-sam-buttrey-amy-schneider/

2. Victoria Groce won the JIT tournament and thereby won a spot on the Masters Tournament.

3. Then there was a Producers’ Pick for the Masters Tournament, for which Amy Schneider was selected, and, understandably so, IMO, since she is a 40-time champion, and, unlike, say, 21-time champion Cris Pannullo, did not crash and burn😔 in the other recent tournaments (these are admittedly a bit of a blur for me).

4. If Amy had won the JIT, perhaps the Producers' Pick for the Masters Tournament would have been Victoria Groce, but not necessarily?
    • Without looking at stats, my preference in that case would have been Juveria Zaheer, but there are several others I would have liked, although some of those (like Cris Pannullo) would have felt more like "Second Chancers" than "Masters."

BTW, if you google JIT participants, you get: 
europol.europa.eu/partners-collaboration/joint-investigation-teams

A joint investigation team…to carry out criminal investigations 

🤣
This needs to become a Jeopardy! clue.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Then there was a Producers’ Pick for the Masters Tournament, for which Amy Schneider was selected, and, understandably so, IMO, since she is a 40-time champion, and, unlike, say, 21-time champion Cris Pannullo, did not crash and burn😔 in the other recent tournaments (these are admittedly a bit of a blur for me).

If they wanted Amy in the Masters Tournament so badly, they should've just put her there to begin with rather than wasting a JIT spot, imo.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
50 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Then there was a Producers’ Pick for the Masters Tournament, for which Amy Schneider was selected, and, understandably so, IMO, since she is a 40-time champion, and, unlike, say, 21-time champion Cris Pannullo, did not crash and burn😔 in the other recent tournaments (these are admittedly a bit of a blur for me).

I fully admit my wanting Cris in the running is because he's nice to look at on my teevee screen.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3

What I like about The Masters is that I can watch it on Hulu next day if I miss the initial broadcast. When I miss the daily game, I usually have to look at the Archive since The Tube is hit or miss as to whether they have the daily game.

• Like 2

I forgot about this thread, so I am just now seeing everyone's comments. Count me among those who were disappointed with the Amy selection. Not because I don't like Amy (I do! A lot!) but because it was so predictable and repetitive. Sam's played a lot, too, but I am feeling much less Sam fatigue. I was hoping they'd pick him. Or Larissa Kelly. Or Brad. Especially Brad. Or someone else from the past. It was fun when Chuck Forrest came back for the Invitational. I get tired of seeing the same faces all the time and would like to see some old favorites return. What's Bob Harris doing these days? I was a big fan of his back when. Since Jeopardy has tournament fever, maybe they need to do a Veterans Tournament. With players who haven't appeared in a tournament for at least a decade.

Not a Mattea fan, but I could become one if they take out Yogesh.  I may be the only James fan here, and I'm hoping he goes far because he amuses me. I don't want him to win, though-- I want that honor to go to Victoria.

• Like 8
On 4/23/2024 at 2:56 AM, 30 Helens said:

Not a Mattea fan, but I could become one if they take out Yogesh.  I may be the only James fan here, and I'm hoping he goes far because he amuses me. I don't want him to win, though-- I want that honor to go to Victoria.

I like James, too. Not sure who I'll be rooting for yet.

• Like 3

It would be boring for us, the viewers, but to level the playing field, it would be interesting if both games would be the same clues.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Not keeping score (I didn't even hit 60% in the regular game tonight; not going to torture myself), but I got the first FJ. It felt too easy so I was sure I was wrong.

Also got the TS of "fecund."

In the second game I got James's missed DD of "ephemera."

• Like 1