Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

At poker night, Fred throws Sam, Joel, and Tiffani a curveball. Meanwhile, Sam attends a former voice teacher’s concert in hopes of becoming her student again – with unforeseen consequences, and Tricia feels the effects of a small town filled with big talkers.

Airing Sunday, April 30, 2023.

This was not my fave episode cuz poop jokes just aren't my thing, and I really didn't need the sound effects.

I still love 'em tho. 

Fred getting married! I didn't see that coming, but I bet the wedding is going to be fun. 

• Like 4

I'm not into toilet humor either, but I was cracking up, partly because they kept muting their phones so the other wouldn't hear, and then Sam didn't do it in time, and then they were both laughing. I love their relationship.

One thing I had trouble laughing at was Sam and Joel stifling their laughs at the school recital. I was just glad that none of the singers noticed them.

Sometimes I'm so bad at remembering where I've seen an actor before. The man (a teacher?) who performed at the school recital was very familiar to me. I was laying in bed trying to remember. Harold Krenshaw from Monk!

I'm not so interested in Tricia's storyline. Maybe that will develop into something more interesting and funny.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I love this show so much!  The characters come across as real people and look like real people, not a Hollywood version of Kansas.  It reminds me a bit of Schitts Creek with all the wonderful quirky characters.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I still laughed at the toilet humor even though I kept asking why anyone would call someone in that position to begin with!

Glad I wasn't the only one worried about them seeming to laugh at the performers. I connect that actor with Only Murders in the Building.

I liked Sam's initial coldness towards a new person, but I hope the wedding is fun. God, I love Fred. And Joel. And all of them.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Sometimes I'm so bad at remembering where I've seen an actor before. The man (a teacher?) who performed at the school recital was very familiar to me. I was laying in bed trying to remember. Harold Krenshaw from Monk!

He also played Larry in Will and Grace.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

I never watched that show. I'm sure I've seen him in other things.

1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

Glad I wasn't the only one worried about them seeming to laugh at the performers. I connect that actor with Only Murders in the Building.

I don't see his name (Tim Bagley) on the credits for that show.

Oh, I just realized what the title of this ep refers to! Duh. I thought it was just a placeholder for this being the 2nd ep of the season.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
(edited)
On 5/1/2023 at 10:16 AM, peeayebee said:

I'm not so interested in Tricia's storyline. Maybe that will develop into something more interesting and funny.

I'm in deep with Tricia's storyline.  This time last season, she had a house, a business with her best friend, a husband and a daughter.  This season she has lost the business, best friend, husband and daughter, and she's about to lose the house.

20 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

I liked Sam's initial coldness towards a new person, but I hope the wedding is fun. God, I love Fred. And Joel. And all of them.

I share Sam's distrust of Fred's fiance.  She's too good to be true.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 2

While the ending scene with the pooping wasn't clever, it did serve to show how close Sam and Joel have become. They are so good and important to each other.

Not only is the writing and acting great, so is the music.

• Love 1

Not my favorite episode, but I found Sam's reactions to Fred getting married interesting.  I thought maybe she was suspect of the fiancée, but also upset at the fact that one of her inner circle had found love while she herself has not.

The tape that Sam was listening to - was that a tape of her and Tricia singing as kids? 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Kudos to the "Larry from Will & Grace" actor getting up there and just belting out that difficult piece when he knows he can't really pull it off. 

Are Sam and Joel becoming too close? If one of them starts dating, especially Joel  --look out!  And the guy who made the crappy (doh!) canapé was eyeing him. 

• Like 1
On 5/1/2023 at 1:02 PM, sistermagpie said:

I kept asking why anyone would call someone in that position to begin with!

Because it's lonely and scary to be sick alone, and secondarily because you wonder if the other person has food poisoning, too.

On 5/3/2023 at 11:37 AM, laurakaye said:

upset at the fact that one of her inner circle had found love while she herself has not.

That's how I interpreted Sam's reaction, as well as feeling hurt that Fred had kept this from them for such a long time -- and then insulted their intelligence by saying "Oh, I've talked about her, haven't I?" Sam is envious, doesn't want to share Fred, and feels like the band of misfits is compromised if some become happily married people.

• Like 11
14 hours ago, IvySpice said:

Sam is envious, doesn't want to share Fred, and feels like the band of misfits is compromised if some become happily married people

Right. And the previous ep was called "NNP." No new people. I assume that's going to be a theme this season, wanting to keep your little bubble as is, not wanting to change.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 5/2/2023 at 9:13 AM, pasdetrois said:

Ugh, the last few minutes ruined the episode for me. Please don't do that again show. It's not funny nor entertaining.

I love this show to death and I'm envious of the close friendship between Sam and Joel, but diarrhea between friends while on the phone was just too much for me to believe ( and stomach tbh, I found it more disgusting than funny). And I thought they couldn't top the underwear/bush scene from last week.  If best friends are this close, I guess I've been doing it wrong😂

• Like 2

I was a little leery of watching this episode because of the toilet scene everyone was talking about. It didn't bother me. Sam and Joel didn't set out to gross each other out, they were trying to mute their phones. They really don't seem to have too many boundaries between them and this kind of just happened. I think she called to make sure he was ok. I know I would wait to make that call, but this is Sam. And, maybe they don't know we're watching.😉

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 1

I don't know why the scene didn't bother me. I probably wouldn't have found it so hilarious if the scene was just them having diarrhea. It wasn't "Ha ha. They're pooping a lot." The humor was about them trying at first to hide it from each other, and then it was of them laughing about it together.

I remember when I first saw Blazing Saddles in the theater. (Yes, I'm that old.) The campfire scene grossed me out so much I literally gagged.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't know why the scene didn't bother me. I probably wouldn't have found it so hilarious if the scene was just them having diarrhea. It wasn't "Ha ha. They're pooping a lot." The humor was about them trying at first to hide it from each other, and then it was of them laughing about it together.

I remember when I first saw Blazing Saddles in the theater. (Yes, I'm that old.) The campfire scene grossed me out so much I literally gagged.

Exactly what I got from that scene.

• Like 4

I'm not into toilet humor either, but I was cracking up, partly because they kept muting their phones so the other wouldn't hear, and then Sam didn't do it in time, and then they were both laughing. I love their relationship.

One thing I had trouble laughing at was Sam and Joel stifling their laughs at the school recital. I was just glad that none of the singers noticed them.

I felt the same way about the school recital. I didn’t think they were that immature as to laugh at kids up on stage.  not funny.

On 5/9/2023 at 1:08 AM, mansonlamps said:

I love this show to death and I'm envious of the close friendship between Sam and Joel, but diarrhea between friends while on the phone was just too much for me to believe ( and stomach tbh, I found it more disgusting than funny). And I thought they couldn't top the underwear/bush scene from last week.  If best friends are this close, I guess I've been doing it wrong😂

Also, I know from what I’ve read that lots of people use their phone while on the toilet, but Jesus,  can you put the thing down for 10 minutes and really that is so gross. 

• Like 2

Just, oh my God. Please no. Too much. I fast forwarded, honestly, after the first 3 seconds. I am not good with biological ickiness. Which is why it took me 3 days to get through the first hour of CHERNOBYL. :D 

It's interesting -- I am kind of not liking Sam right now. I still love her, but I don't like how mean and mocking she is about people this season. I was angry that she was openly laughing at the guy singing. It was just plain cruel. 

I'm guessing the shitstorm (after they ate his pinwheels from the hors d'oeuvres) was to signify that this guy was going to be a "disturbance in the force" for both Sam and Joel -- if he and Joel fall for each other.

(But still, they are living in small-town middle America and they never had ham, cream cheese and pickle roll-ups? I mean, come on! They acted like he offended a luncheon with the Queen by making them! Also, they are fucking delicious. In a trashy way.)

Anyway. I think it's a good season. I like that Sam is not always likable and that she can be petty. I really like the cinema verite aspect -- seeing a big woman walking around in her underwear, being frank about sex, etc. 

On 5/1/2023 at 8:34 AM, monakane said:

I love this show so much!  The characters come across as real people and look like real people, not a Hollywood version of Kansas.  It reminds me a bit of Schitts Creek with all the wonderful quirky characters.

I feel the same way. 

On 5/1/2023 at 12:02 PM, sistermagpie said:

I like it too. It's very real to me -- the show isn't trying to show us perfect people being perfect, but is instead showing us the little ways even good people can be petty. I really enjoy that.

On 5/3/2023 at 10:37 AM, laurakaye said:

Not my favorite episode, but I found Sam's reactions to Fred getting married interesting.  I thought maybe she was suspect of the fiancée, but also upset at the fact that one of her inner circle had found love while she herself has not.

I thought that too -- that she doesn't like or trust new people, and seems insecure that they will leave. Which, as the perpetual unmarried among my friend groups -- I do get.

On 5/5/2023 at 7:18 AM, peeayebee said:

Right. And the previous ep was called "NNP." No new people. I assume that's going to be a theme this season, wanting to keep your little bubble as is, not wanting to change.

Exactly! I think so too.

12 minutes ago, paramitch said:

Just, oh my God. Please no. Too much. I fast forwarded, honestly, after the first 3 seconds. I am not good with biological ickiness. Which is why it took me 3 days to get through the first hour of CHERNOBYL. :D 

Chernobyl was a tough haul, but worth it.

I generally don't have problems with seeing blood and guts, poop, and even vomit. What gets me hiding my eyes is snot. I remember a scene from Breaking Bad where Walter was pepper-sprayed by a cop, and snot was running down his face. I was so grossed out I had to look away.

Late to the game here, only discovering this show recently and doing a slow binge of Season 1 over the last week or so...

OK, so not a fan of the sounds of the poop scene, but still loved the interaction between Joel and Sam.  As soon as the scene started, I muted, put on closed captions and just watched it on mute.  What I loved was the facial expressions - I think these guys were both just having a ball shooting this scene.  I have to wonder what type of sound effects or direction were happening off screen to get the timing down (with the "real" poop effects added later), because the laughter just seemed so genuine, they had to be laughing at something

What a fabulous show.  Season 2 is a little more crass than Season 1, which bugs a little, but I can deal.  I was sad to learn that the actor who played the dad died.  Not sure what I think about Fred's fiancee at this point.

I don't understand why Joel is renting out his house and sleeping on Sam's couch.  Did I miss something?  Did he also quit his job?  How much demand could there be for airbnb rentals in that town? 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 3:02 PM, sistermagpie said:

I liked Sam's initial coldness towards a new person, but I hope the wedding is fun. 

I didn't like it, and it was surprising to me, because she was a new person not so recently, and I would have thought she'd have more empathy.

On 5/2/2023 at 8:59 AM, sugarbaker design said:

I share Sam's distrust of Fred's fiance.  She's too good to be true.

This is so funny to me, because during this episode I was thinking that Fred is too good to be true...he is always kind, considerate, caring, compassionate, personable, etc, all the time. With his fiancee, I didn't see her as any different from anyone else on their best behavior around new people. He has known her a very long time, so I'm hoping that means he has seen the real her.

On 5/9/2023 at 1:05 PM, peeayebee said:

OMG I was a tween when I first saw Blazing Saddles and honestly I have never laughed as hard and as long as when I saw the campfire scene.  I'm not a big poop humor person, but that one got to me!

One thing I had trouble laughing at was Sam and Joel stifling their laughs at the school recital.

It seemed sooooo uncharacteristic of them and was really mean and hurtful. I can only guess the writers thought they had to do that plotwise, to set up a contrast with whatever they may be planning with that guy and Joel (I don't know any spoilers, just hypothesizing).

31 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

I didn't like it, and it was surprising to me, because she was a new person not so recently, and I would have thought she'd have more empathy.

On 5/2/2023 at 8:59 AM, sugarbaker design said:

I think part of the issue is that this person isn't new, she's someone who's very attached to Fred that could replace Sam.