Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Lost & Found

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The 118 race to rescue two roommates desperately trying to find a needle in a haystack at a landfill, and help a woman whose nightmare dream suddenly becomes a painful reality. Athena and Maddie team-up to find a missing boy in a crowded mall; Chimney debates if the time is right to propose to Maddie.

Airdate: 05/01/2023

The tonsils were gross. The landfill was gross. This was a gross episode.

I'm not really a people person, more of an introvert. So the coworkers/friends/family situation going on at the 118 gives me serious claustrophobic willies. Having that many people butting into your life, big things or small, would make me crazy. I'd have to move.

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Definitely a gross episode; I guess I'm discovering I have an issue with tonsils being spit up.

I was not a huge fan of the Chimney wanting to propose to Maddie plot BUT I did like the Hen aspect of it. I do like that she is upset with Maddie about what she did to Chimney and has vocalized it. I also do see Chimney's point about how he has forgiven Maddie and both have put in the work to rebuild their relationship. 

I do wish someone had vocalized the opinion that marriage isn't everyone's endgoal, though. 

I called that Jee still had the ring. We never saw her put it back in the box, after all. I did think that the episode would end with Chimney arriving home and Maddie holding the ring.

• Like 14
(edited)
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I called that Jee still had the ring. We never saw her put it back in the box, after all. I did think that the episode would end with Chimney arriving home and Maddie holding the ring.

And now I'm guessing Jee will have a 9-1-1 choking emergency in which she spits up the ring?

So:
Did Chim not see that Jee had taken the ring out of the box?
If so, I didn't realize that.

And:
When did light-up ring boxes become a thing?
Okay, I could google that, but is this not the first time all y'all have seen this?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
(edited)

So, thanks to Chimney, we indirectly got a confirmation that Eddie married Shannon because she was pregnant.

We got 2 gross rescues and 1 that didn’t really make sense. Wouldn’t it be normal for Jayden to continue hiding when he heard people screaming his name because he didn’t want to get into more troubles with his mom?

A lot of people are bashing Hen for what she said to Chim about Maddie, her concern about trusting Maddie again. How dare of Hen to judge Maddie bla bla bla. She’s also right about focusing on what Chim deserves, not only what Maddie deserves. I like that Chim reminded her about her own infidelity that broke Karen’s trust. These two really have each other’s back. I don’t trust people easily so I get why Hen said what she said. But I think that lines will work better in the scene at the jewellery shop, prior to the ring purchase.

“When Maddie left, I watched how you struggled with so much guilt. You blamed yourself when she was the one that left. She didn’t trust you enough to fully share what she was going through. Can you trust that she won’t do that again?”

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

In next episode, Maddie will find the ring and she will propose to Chim...

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 8
22 minutes ago, LtKelley said:

I agree, but I am also infected with enough Judge Judy style conservatism that I get tired of people being applauded and encouraged to play at marriage. We're living together, we bought and remodeled a house together, we're raising our child together, we file taxes together but of course we're not *marriedI*. So, are you just dating then?

As a never married of a certain age to where its very unlikely to happen, I absolutely agree it shouldn't be everyone's endgoal but Maddie and Chim are pretty much there. I don't need to see Ravi or Eddie pushed to marry, but Maddie and Chim are yanking my chain in the other direction. If they aren't going to separate due to Maddie's issues, then it starts to seem weird that they aren't married. 

Plus they have a child together and marriage or some legal partnership makes sense to ensure the child is taken care of plus help reduce some expenses, like taxes

• Like 10

I have serious doubts that if you call 911 and say you lost your kid at the mall a dozen police officers would show up to help you look. I think it far more likely just one officer would show up to take your statement and file a report. If an ex was involved then maybe an Amber alert would be issued. But I can't believe the entire police force would descend on the local mall to find a missing kid.

And yeah, it was pretty obvious Jee was going to have the ring, and it seemed pretty stupid of Chim to let her play with it, I half expected her to put it in her mouth and swallow it, but maybe she's past that stage. Time will tell.

The tonsil thing was just gross. I used to have nightmares about all my teeth being loose all the time.

Okay, I could google that, but is this not the first time all y'all have seen this?

No, I've never seen that before.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Yes not everyone needs to be married but Maddie and Chimney have always been building towards that.   It’s tv romanticism and circular love stories.    Just like Maddie thinking she would never say the words “I love you” again saying them to Chimney but not quite under the circumstances you would expect.    Chimney and Maddie have always been a love story and they even once got meta about it while describing why Maddie didn’t like romance comedies anymore. The two of them are essentially living in one.   The likely outcome is either Jee will have a 9-1-1 with the ring and Chimney will take the opportunity to ask Maddie to marry him when their daughter is safe or Maddie will find Jee playing within the ring and spiral herself before asking Chimney to marry her.  

I actually prefer the 2nd option having Maddie panic and go to all her friends at the call center and discuss her side of the issue only to go to Hen and find that Chimney thought he lost the ring.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 5
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Given that my original wedding ring was lost due to toddler interference, I focused on that ring the whole time and saw that split second when Chim grabbed it and she still had it.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was surprised to see that - but then my familiarity with expensive rings is nil. Even my lost ring (later miraculously replaced years later by the same artisan we'd lost track of) didn't cost more than one hundred dollars. I love my ring.

2 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Yep, it'll be the universe telling Chim it's right (similar to Hen's story about her proposal).

21 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The tonsil thing was just gross. I used to have nightmares about all my teeth being loose all the time.

Loose teeth is a common human nightmare. I've certainly had them, they are disturbing indeed.. The tonsil thing was really gross. Seems weird that she didn't go to the doctor earlier, it's not like she wouldn't have felt them. (I just looked it up - and avoided pictures - apparently you can have them w/o feeling them, but I think as big as these were, she would have definitely felt them - and seen them if she'd bothered to look.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Given that my original wedding ring was lost due to toddler interference, I focused on that ring the whole time and saw that split second when Chim grabbed it and she still had it....my lost ring (later miraculously replaced years later by the same artisan we'd lost track of) didn't cost more than one hundred dollars. I love my ring.

I wish we'd had this @Clanstarling situation for either of the other 9-1-1 calls in this episode. 
It would have been a great parallel to the Chimney/Maddie situation.

• Like 3

Those were some gross ass rescues, but at least on this show we still get rescues most every week, unlike over on Lonestar, so I cant complain all that much. 

I knew right away that Jee had the ring, I'm surprised that no one else thought of it, although I was worried that she would end up choking on it. Marriage is certainly not for everyone, especially considering Maddie's history, but Chim and Maddie are basically married in all but name now, they live together, have a kid together, are doing taxes together, it seems like marriage is the natural next step, its sort of silly not to get married at this point. Not only for the emotional closure of it, but just because its legally a lot more convenient. If Chim really is worried about Maddie saying no, he should talk about her thoughts on marrying him with her and then start working on a proposal, just so they're on the same page. 

Chim hemming and hawing about proposing and him losing the ring was something I could give or take, but I did really like Hen being worried about Chim marrying Maddie and possibly getting hurt. I agree that this should be about Chim as much as Maddie, and she did really hurt him when she left, even if her reasons were sympathetic. The talk Chim and Hen had was really nice, calling back to Karen forgiving Chim for her affair, and how they're working through their issues. 

• Like 6

I must be a party of one, but Hen was wrong to be mad about Maddie at all. First, Maddie isn't her partner, so it's not her business. Second, while I've no doubt it was hard on Chimney to have Maddie "disappear" to leave him raising Jee alone (as if millions of single parents don't do that every day, but I digress), Maddie left Chimney a letter explaining her reasons for leaving. She was suffering from postpartum depression and didn't trust herself alone with Jee.

PPD isn't a choice, and Maddie did what she thought was best for her child at the time. PPD is crippling, and for Chimney and Hen to act like Maddie skipped town with another man or something is insulting.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
1 minute ago, bilgistic said:

Maddie left Chimney a letter explaining her reasons for leaving. She was suffering from postpartum depression and didn't trust herself alone with Jee.

Maddie left Chimney a message but didn't really go into specifics as to why she left. I think the only thing she really told Chimney is that Jee wasn't safe with her, but it wasn't really enough for Chimney to understand why. He didn't know how bad it was with her until after she left, so I think there was a lot of guilt there for Chimney. 

I think that's why Chimney did forgive Maddie, once he got to see her and they got to talk about her feelings. But that didn't happen until after she was gone for months. So it still hurt Chimney, to a degree. Hen just wasn't privy to the relationship after Maddie came back, so I don't think she was wrong to feel how she did. Hen is friends with Chimney, she barely interacts with Maddie. I actually LIKE that they showed Hen's perspective on it. Regardless if Maddie meant to hurt Chimney, she did. She may have made up for it, and Chimney even said himself they had to rebuild their relationship, but he was still hurt and Hen saw that. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I think you are correct!  

I wasn't a fan of the episode.  Love Chim, but I wanted to see more of Maddie's perspective on marrying him. Most of their relationship drama has been Maddie working through her trauma, so if there is a marriage proposal, it should be from her. 

But these two seem to barely talk to each other about the important stuff.  I have no idea why they wouldn't have had a discussion on marriage and whether they both want it. Frankly, before last week's episode, I didn't think it was even on their radar. I don't doubt the legal, social, financial benefits of marriage, but they've had plenty of time to discuss it.  Do it or don't, but I don't understand why you can't have a conversation about it. There's nothing romantic, IMO, about springing a marriage proposal on someone when you're not even sure if they want it. Different strokes.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Like 6
  • Wink 1
2 hours ago, LtKelley said:

If Maddie had simply left, checked herself in for help and told Buck to tell Chimney she was safe but stay away... thats a LOT different than what actually happened, with Chimney not knowing if she was dead or alive. 

Didn't she do exactly this, though? She was in therapy in Boston. Buck told Chimney that Maddie was OK, just not where she was. Buck was on the phone with Maddie at one point, and he heard a church bell or something in the background where Maddie was. That led Chimney to "finding" Maddie after being on the road for months with Jee because Chimney wouldn't accept Maddie needing time alone to work on her illness.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I have serious doubts that if you call 911 and say you lost your kid at the mall a dozen police officers would show up to help you look. I think it far more likely just one officer would show up to take your statement and file a report. If an ex was involved then maybe an Amber alert would be issued. But I can't believe the entire police force would descend on the local mall to find a missing kid.

Also, they may not be real police, but malls usually have mall cops.  The fact that they were never even called is weird.  Instead we just immediately went to “get EVERY police officer on scene to help find my baby…who has been missing for all of five minutes.”

• Like 8
  • Fire 2
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Seems weird that she didn't go to the doctor earlier, it's not like she wouldn't have felt them. (I just looked it up - and avoided pictures - apparently you can have them w/o feeling them, but I think as big as these were, she would have definitely felt them - and seen them if she'd bothered to look.

I've gotten the occasional tonsil stone (mostly during asthma exacerbations when I'm using my rescue inhaler a lot) and while I've never had any near as big as portrayed on the show, yes, you can feel them and see them. I've never bled with mine, either; they're not attached to the tonsil, they form in the little pockets on the tonsil and can be dislodged fairly easily with a gargle or a cough (or a Q-tip if a cough ain't doing it).

I called the crypto bro being a crypto bro the second he whined about his hard drive being tossed.

Jee tucking the ring in to bed in the dollhouse made me giggle. That little actress is adorable and is doing a fantastic job! I mean, I'm sure they're just letting her do whatever she wants in the scene at this point because she's still a little young to really be taking direction. Whatever they're doing, though, it's working.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

3 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Also, they may not be real police, but malls usually have mall cops.  The fact that they were never even called is weird.  Instead we just immediately went to “get EVERY police officer on scene to help find my baby…who has been missing for all of five minutes.”

That scene was such nonsense that it made me angry. Honestly, I wouldn't even think to immediately call 911 for that. You don't look yourself first and contact mall security? Ask people nearby? I was also pissed at the older kids for completely ignoring their brother. Yes, I know it happens. It was still annoying.

Why on earth would Chimney show a ring to a tiny kid like Jee? She has no understanding of its value. It's pretty, and of course, she'll see it as a toy. Worse case, she could swallow it.

ETA – I used to get tonsil stones. They were yuck. I had small tonsils and kept getting them. I had my tonsil removed on my doctor's recommendation.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 9
10 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I must be a party of one, but Hen was wrong to be mad about Maddie at all.

I agree.  But even if Hen felt like making sure Chim was okay with everything, that time wouldn't be now.  It'd be when he decided to move back in with Maddie.  It would have been before they bought a house together.  Married or not, these two are financially and legally entwined right now.  Marriage is almost a little bit more involved and the biggest holdup is more related to Maddie reconciling the institution of marriage with her abusive relationship. Heck, he's trying to think of a romantic way to propose but she'd probably enjoy a practical "married for tax purposes" deal.

• Like 6
22 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Loose teeth is a common human nightmare. I've certainly had them, they are disturbing indeed.. The tonsil thing was really gross.

I have had them too...it's stress/anxiety related. And I've also had tonsil stones, which are usually MUCH smaller, and come out in smaller pieces. My doctor called them "dead white blood cells" and since I'm an adult who never had my tonsils out, said unless they got really big, they shouldn't be a problem. (Apparently having your tonsils out as an adult can be extremely painful.)

IRL, Jee would have swallowed the ring, and they would have fished it out of her diaper, but that's probably too much for TV. Or shoved it up her nose. Kids love shoving things up their nose.

Speaking of the little dickens...when we saw Jayden hiding and eating candy, I thought: he stole it, knows it was wrong and was hiding from his mom. A few decades ago, it would have been worth a swat on the tush. Also, none of those people looked like they belonged in the same family.

As for an actual Maddie/Chim marriage, there's definitely a strong argument, legally and and tax-wise for them to have it. (I was unable to be legally married to my wife for many years, but when we got the chance, we did it.)

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

As for an actual Maddie/Chim marriage, there's definitely a strong argument, legally and and tax-wise for them to have it. (I was unable to be legally married to my wife for many years, but when we got the chance, we did it.)

Maybe so, but divorce can be so expensive and fraught. 

16 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

IRL, Jee would have swallowed the ring, and they would have fished it out of her diaper,

Heh. My oldest swallowed a bit of jewelry chain that came out in her diaper. She must've found it in the grass while I was hanging laundry. There was a clover leaf in that poop too.

• LOL 4

Another thing with the lost kid at the mall: since the police came to his office asking about his son, now the dad can use that as ammo in their custody battle, which he will if he's as nasty as the mom claims he is.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Heh. My oldest swallowed a bit of jewelry chain that came out in her diaper. She must've found it in the grass while I was hanging laundry. There was a clover leaf in that poop too.

My kid wouldn't eat her veggies, but pillow stuffing and a dried pod from a tree were, apparently, fair game!

50 minutes ago, LtKelley said:

I'm not normally pro asshole dad sticking it to the mom but.... She had the kid, she lost track of the kid, she got the cops involved and the cops appeared at his work place asking if he had committed a crime. 

So, she fucked up. He had to explain the police involvement at his work place. He did nothing wrong and had to deal with the backlash of her parenting fail. He didn't try to steal his own child. He had nothing to do with the mom not keeping an eye on the kid while in her custody but he's the nasty one for not smiling and conceding custody with a smile and thanking her for the cops coming to his work with an untrue and not exactly flattering accusation. If he did mention this in a custody hearing, he's the asshole but she's allowed to accuse him of a crime with no ramifications for her?

She had a reasonable expectation of her older kids watching the boy while she got food for all of them. Having had a kid his age go missing at a theme park (thankfully, she just went into a little mushroom house), I understand the fear and the fact that it takes you to your worst fears - in her case, her husband taking the kids.  Yeah, it sucked for him - absolutely.  But it wasn't a particularly unreasonable fear from the sound of it, whatever the dynamics of the custody dispute.

Though mall cops would be the first choice of action - after a concerted and detailed look at everything nearby.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, LtKelley said:

If he did mention this in a custody hearing, he's the asshole but she's allowed to accuse him of a crime with no ramifications for her?

I don't think the father would be an asshole for bringing this up in court. It would be the smart thing to do. He should have called his attorney as soon as the cops left his office. She played herself -- the false accusation and sending cops to his workplace might be considered worse than misplacing the kid.

On the other hand, I do understand that her panic caused her to overreact. But she gave her husband something to use against her, whether he chooses to do so or not.

• Like 5

That mother was near total meltdown from the moment they introduced her. I thought the story was going to be that she faints and falls down on the escalator, or she has a panic attack and her kids are so used to it that they don't notice but someone else calls 911, or something along those lines. The actress played it so over the top, there was no additional level to go to when the kid disappeared.

• Like 7
  • Fire 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I agree.  But even if Hen felt like making sure Chim was okay with everything, that time wouldn't be now.  It'd be when he decided to move back in with Maddie.  It would have been before they bought a house together. 

Hen seemed to be reacting to Chim's anxiety and fear over the proposal (I thought she had a point) more than the marriage itself. After all, she was there at the jewelry store with him, supporting him.  I don't recall that we saw Chim fretting over moving in together or buying a house.  I could see Hen keeping her feelings close to the vest since Chim was secure in his decisions.  We didn't see her start to doubt until AFTER Chim's jewelry store meltdown.     

Married or not, these two are financially and legally entwined right now.  Marriage is almost a little bit more involved and the biggest holdup is more related to Maddie reconciling the institution of marriage with her abusive relationship. Heck, he's trying to think of a romantic way to propose but she'd probably enjoy a practical "married for tax purposes" deal.

I believe Chim said that they hadn't talked about marriage since the accountant recommended it (in the previous ep).  If Maddie preferred more practicality, why not just say so? There's been nothing stopping her from saying to Chim, "Hey, the accountant's right! Let's get married. Courthouse will do."  They were sitting there at the table when the accountant said it and left, after all. But nope, the next scene with Josh is her talking about how she snuck out of the house to avoid the topic.  When Josh asks her if she wants to marry Chim, she doesn't know.  So Chim isn't off base with his anxiety - she's actively avoiding the topic, and so is he.   

For whatever the audience may feel about how they're practically married, the show and characters are making it a big deal.   Alas, there would be no dramatic tension to draw this out over multiple freaking episodes if they HAD A CONVERSATION.  Christ on a cracker. 

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

The actress played it so over the top, there was no additional level to go to when the kid disappeared.

I am a terrible person for laughing at this, because I think the intent was to show the mom was already stress-shopping with a teenager, preteen (I think?), and preschooler.  TI assume the heightened emotional state contributed to her jumping to conclusions about the ex when the little one disappeared. But yes, the actress really leaned into the jittery. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Like 7
3 hours ago, LtKelley said:

I'm not saying  she committed a monstrous act, please don't get me wrong. The two older kids should have been keeping an eye on their brother, its reasonable. I'm just saying maybe dad - who did not try to steal his children - has a right to mention his wife's baseless public accusations that he had to deal with in his workplace in a custody meeting without being deemed an asshole for bringing up how she lost their youngest in a mall and accused him of kidnapping when she had the kids for custody.

I sure as hell don't think she'd be called an asshole for mentioning how he had the kids in his care and lost one. Thats my point.

Fair point, sorry I missed it in my response.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

That mother was near total meltdown from the moment they introduced her. I thought the story was going to be that she faints and falls down on the escalator, or she has a panic attack and her kids are so used to it that they don't notice but someone else calls 911, or something along those lines. The actress played it so over the top, there was no additional level to go to when the kid disappeared.

Same. I was at least expecting the mom to faint.

5 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I am a terrible person for laughing at this, because I think the intent was to show the mom was already stress-shopping with a teenager, preteen (I think?), and preschooler. 

Having been a single parent in the peak shopping mall days of the 90s with 3 kids of similarly spaced ages, I found myself viewing her character with disdain more than the empathy I probably should have felt. 

Anyway:
In a regular mall today, if a kid is lost, is crowd sourcing a call of the kid's name a real thing?
Presumably it has happened at least once if it made it onto the show, but is it common?

• Like 2
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Having been a single parent in the peak shopping mall days of the 90s with 3 kids of similarly spaced ages, I found myself viewing her character with disdain more than the empathy I probably should have felt.

I was irritated because of having been the oldest of three daughters and always having to babysit. It started when I was NINE and my sisters were five and six. It's not the oldest kid'(s)' job to watch the younger kid(s); it the parent'(s)' job. What mother of three has mall pretzels money anyway?

No, I don't have kids, mainly because of how I grew up...with a single mother.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
On 5/2/2023 at 5:22 PM, iMonrey said:

I'm not a fan of starting out a show with some snippet of the end of story then doing a "2 days earlier" cutaway. It's an over-used gimmick.

Somewhere Ryan Murphy is sobbing into his breakfast because this seems like something he absolutely LOVES to do on his shows and it’s so super annoying.

Couldn’t look at or listen to one second of tonsils girl but I do love she tossed Hen and Chimney out when they came back looking for the ring.

Speaking of the ring, the entire episode infuriated me during all wedding talk.  Chimney thought the ring could be anywhere, except in the paws of the child he let play with it?  The whole “I want to get married no the universe is telling me not to” was ridiculous.  Speaking of crowd-sourcing, Chim was doing that with his marriage spiral instead of, you know, actually TALKING to the person he wants to marry.  I feel you, @ribboninthesky1.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
On 5/2/2023 at 7:35 PM, Dani-Ellie said:

I've gotten the occasional tonsil stone (mostly during asthma exacerbations when I'm using my rescue inhaler a lot) and while I've never had any near as big as portrayed on the show, yes, you can feel them and see them. I've never bled with mine, either; they're not attached to the tonsil, they form in the little pockets on the tonsil and can be dislodged fairly easily with a gargle or a cough (or a Q-tip if a cough ain't doing it).

I had tonsil stones on and off for years but I didn't know that's what they were called. This episode actually answered a question that's been plaguing me for a long time..

Edited by marceline
  • Like 3
On 5/2/2023 at 10:34 PM, mrsbagnet said:

That scene was such nonsense that it made me angry. Honestly, I wouldn't even think to immediately call 911 for that. You don't look yourself first and contact mall security? 

Even if the mom was too dumb or freaked out to call mall security, when Athena showed up she should have sent someone there, both to check out security cameras and to make sure they are aware of all the exits. Then again the 911 call centre being able to tap into the mall security camera feed seems like some super high level bullshit.

• Like 3