Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: The Glow Soon Becomes Ashes

• Start Topic

Kris and Jeymi blame each other for their problems; Gabe's sister pushes for a prenup; Jen and her friends hatch a risky plan; Daniele reunites with a former flame; Nicole's patience wears thin; Oussama's true intentions are revealed.

First Look: 21/04/23; TLC: 23/04/23; Discovery+: 23/04/23;

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
24 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Jen and her friends hatch a risky plan;

In other words, the Three Witches Bitches scheme to trap Rishi so that Randi can prove she was right about him all along. 

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1

Debbie is not happy with the primitive accommodations at Oussama’s home/farm. I don’t blame her not liking the upholstered toilet seat (full of germs and worse), the poor shower, the stairs having no railing. She wonders how none of the family is wearing a neck brace from falling down the stairs. She has gifts for the family and gives the dad a very nice set of art supplies. She is more interested in living in the city and visiting the home on the weekends. The dad and sister start mentioning the plan for Oussama and most likely eventually them, going to the US. Debbie is a bit confused as she was sure she was moving there. The initial forming of perhaps Oussama was not being honest.

Nicole talks to her sister in law about life in Egypt. Nic is unhappy and is thinking of going home. It took the sister in law about a year to settle in to her new life. She is not patient. Mahmoud sends them both to the market to do some shopping. Sis in law likes to get the right prices and thinks that things are too high priced. Nicole will find it tough as she looks like a tourist, does not speak the language, has little knowledge of the culture. Prime sucker to be ripped off. Nicole apparently has never seen a live, clucking chicken and has no idea how to choose one. I don’t know if the market stall person will pluck it for her. Nicole also doesn’t know how to choose vegetables. They lug a bag of heavy stuff home.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So Nicole has been there for FOUR MONTHS and this was the first time she ventured out to the market with Fatima? She has made absolutely no effort to try and adapt to life in Mahmoud’s conservative Egyptian neighborhood. What does she do all day? 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, magemaud said:

So Nicole has been there for FOUR MONTHS and this was the first time she ventured out to the market with Fatima? She has made absolutely no effort to try and adapt to life in Mahmoud’s conservative Egyptian neighborhood. What does she do all day? 

Four months…this trip.   Wasn’t she there before for a few months?

I like and feel sorry for Debbie.  Her grand adventure is falling to pieces.  I know it was doomed, but now she will be feeling made a fool of.    (And sweet that she came with presents)

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Poor Debbie, she's sweet and "dotty" and really thought she had found her soulmate. I admit I was very touched by her thoughtful gifts to Oussama's father. She's trying so hard to be a gracious houseguest although I think that many of her comments go right over everyone's heads and they are smiling and laughing politely. I can't help but compare the way she is trying to open minded and a good sport and fit in to a foreign country to the others like Jen and Nicole who go with the idea that they're AMERICANS, DAMN IT! and the thousands year old culture should accomodate them. And what a difference between her approach and that other woman from Georgia, you know who I mean. 

I also doubt that Oussama's dad is 68 years old. There's definitely a language barrier, I'll bet he's 48. In that case, the family might also think that Debbie is in her 40s, too.

Even if Oussama's plan all along was to come to America, I think he's going to try and blame the misunderstanding on the language barrier and gaslighting Debbie about being "crazy." I'm so glad she didn't sell her condo and give up her CAR! 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 8
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

If Debbie can’t handle even the  difference in how their bathrooms are how is she going to adjust to all the other ways Morocco is different?  And yes I have seen that weird padding on toilets in America.  As well as carpeting on the lid.  Bad taste is international.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
13 hours ago, magemaud said:

I bet she pouts and sulks in her room and occasionally repacks her suitcase.  I sure hope they are never returning for another season.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5

Not sure what the attraction is between Nicole and Mahmoud.  They can barely communicate and have no respect for each other’s cultures.  I guess for her he was a “cute boy in a fabric store” and for him she was some blonde Western fantasy object?

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

And yes I have seen that weird padding on toilets in America.

Debbie was lucky there was any kind of seat. I have been in bathrooms in Europe that have standard toilets without seats! 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Debbie was lucky there was any kind of seat. I have been in bathrooms in Europe that have standard toilets without seats! 

The "toilets" I saw in China were a hole in the ground.  Very few Western toilets.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
54 minutes ago, AR Traveler said:

The "toilets" I saw in China were a hole in the ground.  Very few Western toilets.

Ousamma demonstrated the squat toilet before he showed Debbie the other one downstairs. I’m older than Debbie and I don’t think my creaky body could assume the position 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

Debbie is a lost soul with a sad past of mistreatment by men, who has built a fantasy world of camel-riding on the beach, moonlight Moroccan dinners, and a tall handsome young male by her side.

What she's getting is weird upholstery-covered toilet seats, walk-up apartments with no code-enforced railings, and an odd-looking, possibly asexual boyfriend who only wants her to take him to the U.S. so that he can send money back to his family so they can finally change the toilet seat cover.

She has a sweetness, though, buried in all her quirkiness.  And she's very obviously lovable, as exhibited by the protectiveness of her son.  Often, I wonder about the families of some of these people, i.e. Nicole.  Where are her parents, her siblings?  Do they even care that she's left the country?  Debbie's son fought tooth & nail to keep his mom safe.

My wish for Debbie is that she returns alone and starts playing bingo, pickle ball, and learns salsa dancing, all at her local senior center, where the other men her age are looking for someone just like her.

• Like 14
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, AR Traveler said:

Saw them in Greece as well.

58 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Debbie's son fought tooth & nail to keep his mom safe.

My wish for Debbie is that she returns alone and starts playing bingo, pickle ball, and learns salsa dancing, all at her local senior center, where the other men her age are looking for someone just like her.

Debbie would never want an American man her age or close to her age.  I think like the others we have seen in the past, she does like the financial power she holds over the other person as well as the American visa.  Maybe she's not in your face about it like Grangela, the Skipper and co. but I think it's still there. 

I know alot of people are offended by Debbie's son but I think he's heart is in the right place in regards to protecting Debbie and her assets.  He may not be going about it in the right way but I think he does have a point. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

When Oussama was telling Debbie about "his plans for the future", it gave me chills.  His plan is to come to America and get a job.  Full stop. Period.  Anything else is unacceptable.  Yikes.  

Jenn's friends are troublemakers.  Good luck changing hundreds of years of customs and culture.  

Edited by Adeejay
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

When Oussama was telling Debbie about "his plans for the future", it gave me chills.  His plan is to come to America and get a job.  Full stop. Period.  Anything else is unacceptable.  Yikes.  

Jenn's friends are troublemakers.  Good luck changing hundreds of years of customs and cultures.  

Debbie was lucky she had a camera crew with her.      And he has no idea what life in America would be like   Mahmoud was more realistic    As much as Nicole hate life 8n Egypt, he suspects he wouldn’t like life in the US just as much  

Is Danielle putting on weight   She seems… rounder.   And what business is it of th exes to assess Yohan   

• Like 11
  • Mind Blown 2

Jen’s “certified Interventionist” friend thinks she’s gonna use her white girl privilege to tell Rishi’s family how it’s gonna be in their country? Bish, please. Plus, why her face look like a cube? 

Nicole is too old to play the page boy innocent. She can’t be that clueless since she’s lived there before. Both of them act like children in some freaky prepubescent arrested development romance. 

Kris is complaining about sending money, but she told Jeymi to quit her job. She needs to see if she can get her job back and block Kris if she ever deigns to call.

Danielle is a gorgon. Full stop.

• Like 5
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Nicole wants to bring Mahmoud to the US?   What exactly are his job skills?   Nicole could barely support herself…how can she support a husband!

She's trying to convince him he will be happy in the US. This chick is batshit. 

15 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Often, I wonder about the families of some of these people, i.e. Nicole.  Where are her parents, her siblings?  Do they even care that she's left the country?

Her parents were shown on the show before Nicole left for Egypt. I get the impression they have given up on her stupid decisions. She may look young but isn't she 40? 

1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Kris is complaining about sending money, but she told Jeymi to quit her job. She needs to see if she can get her job back and block Kris if she ever deigns to call.

What the heck was Jeymi talking about it being hard to find a job there in Colombia because she's Venezuelan? Is there any truth to that or is that some lame excuse for not finding a job? 

• Useful 3
4 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Her parents were shown on the show before Nicole left for Egypt. I get the impression they have given up on her stupid decisions. She may look young but isn't she 40? 

She’s 38. She went to see her parents in Idaho and they seemed very conservative and old-fashioned. 
I was re-watching the market scene again and I didn’t see any adult women out in public without a head covering except Nicole. Also, she’s so awkward and gawky and reminds me of a giraffe. 

8 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Between Oussama and Jen it’s like opthalmology 101.

“Brought to you by Tepezza, for Thyroid Eye Disease.” 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

A giraffe crossed with Emo Phillips.

Yes! She has such a “flat affect” when she speaks. When Mahmoud told her Fatima was coming over to take her vegetable shopping, she said in a robotic monotone, “That sounds like fun”. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

What the heck was Jeymi talking about it being hard to find a job there in Colombia because she's Venezuelan? Is there any truth to that or is that some lame excuse for not finding a job? 

She is an immigrant.  I know I've heard that socially there may be some issues, as Columbia has seen a lot of Venezuelan immigrants, but on top of any legal issues, she probably doesn't have that much work experience.  Wasn't the guy married to the alcoholic redhead a couple of seasons ago also from Venezuela?  I could swear he mentioned having difficulty finding work in South America.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, anoninrva said:

Wasn't the guy married to the alcoholic redhead a couple of seasons ago also from Venezuela?  I could swear he mentioned having difficulty finding work in South America.

Yes, Guillermo was also from Venezuela and met Kara when he was working as a bartender in the DR. 
Jeymi has a law degree from Venezuela but I doubt if she can practice law in Colombia so she had to work in a different field. She hasn’t worked for several months, so what does she do all day? 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, magemaud said:

Yes, Guillermo was also from Venezuela and met Kara when he was working as a bartender in the DR. 
Jeymi has a law degree from Venezuela but I doubt if she can practice law in Colombia so she had to work in a different field. She hasn’t worked for several months, so what does she do all day? 

Well we know one thing she does all day, calls Kris.

I have never understood what any of these work phobic people do all day but have money for food and rent.

Do we even need to ask what Kris is doing all day back in the states...no, I didn't think so.  

Kris and her mother are chatting about how Jeymi is a gold digger but something struck me, Kris told her to stop working so she became financially dependent on Kris and now Kris is flipping it to make Jeymi look bad, Mother Kris nods in agreement because that is the only story she is getting...I guess she will watch the show and learn the truth.

Kris looked like she was briefly in the "sweet spot," in her high while filming (in that hat!), we watched while she looked glassy eyed and started to slur her words and became heavy lidded, thinking if she says her BS enough it will become true (addicts do that), I want to know what her mother was thinking at that moment, she has got to recognize that behavior, right?

We are no longer getting fairy winged Kris, wonder where the tutus went?

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I think Oussama is shocked that Debbie refuses to be manipulated by him.

He must have thought that he hit the jackpot when this older woman was seemingly swept away by his magical poetry and deep insights into life. Instead Debbie is standing up for herself and what she wants and he has no idea what to do but call her crazy.

• Like 16
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 5

Finally we have Donkeygate and it was too short. Too bad Debbie didn't break a hip.

I don't buy that Debbie didn't dangle the US visa and America to Ousamma. Either of them can produce the receipts on this issue as i bet most of their conversation was via text.

Whoever said it yesterday in the chat is correct.  Kris is just as bad as Geoffrey.

Don't care about Danielle and Yohan.

Nicole and Mackmoud are just two people banging their heads against a wall.

Wondering if the whole prenush is made up tv drama for Gabe.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Interesting how Maccchhhmoooood is "not sure" if he wants to move to the US and not sure if he will like it, but he expects Nicole to be uncomfortable and live a completely different lifestyle in Egypt while barely batting an eye. Why did he fill out the visa if he didn't want to go? What does Nicole DO all day if she's not leaving the house? What happening to her and Maccchhmooood opening up a fabric/fashion business together? I think she was only there a few weeks in reality because her hair hasn't changed. I don't think she's that natural of a blonde, and I doubt she's spending time at the salons unless she's trimming it at home - her hair hasn't grown at all and she has zero discernible roots.

Now that Ousama isn't getting what he wants, he's gaslighting Debbie. Way to go. Debbie clomping around in slides at the farm with all the animal shit was just 😳. And oh my god, that poor donkey. I'm glad Debbie didn't break a wrist going down off of it. Nothing like a desperate immature man who's not getting what he wants. What a dick. I feel for Debbie as she's going to have a huge "I told you so" with those kids. While she deserves a little bit of that, she deserves to be living her best life wherever she chooses (obvi not Khemisset, but you get me).

I can't believe that Jeymi couldn't find ANY work in five months because there IS work there. I'm not being nonchalant when I use this phrase, but if she needed to support herself she could literally scrub toilets. I know that in 2022, there was a drop in employment for Venezuelan women in Colombia and their labor is definitely exploited due to their immigrant status, but Venezuelans have temporary protected status in Colombia so if she's working and getting paid under the table & gets caught they're not going to throw her out of the country. I am in NO way suggesting that Jeymi should take demeaning work, but she quit her job right before Kris came so she had to have a method of earning income prior to Kris moving there. Did I miss why Kris has been in AL for FIVE ENTIRE MONTHS? It was supposed to be a two-week trip to pick up her fentanyl narcolepsy meds.

I FF all of Gabe's scenes because my god, what a bore. Same with Daniele and her ex. Snoozefest.

Edited by lightninggirl
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Wondering if the whole prenush is made up tv drama for Gabe.

I’m wondering how successful that company really is.  If she takes half of nothing that isn’t taking much.

55 minutes ago, lightninggirl said:

her hair hasn't grown at all and she has zero discernible roots.

It’s always looked like a wig to me although it was wet one time when she was crying after a shower.

That donkey looked too small to ride, even smaller than a pony.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
34 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

Has Debbie ever said why she doesn't want to bring Oussama to the US? Does she just want the adventure and romance of living with him in Morocco and writing poetry and painting all day?

Could be a combination.   Definitely the romance of living in Morocco…remember her referring to the movie, Road to Morocco.   But also, if he moves to the US, she would have to be his sponsor which means financial commitment, what is he even going to do for work, and if/when they break up, how would she get rid of him….and his family?

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
58 minutes ago, lightninggirl said:

Did I miss why Kris has been in AL for FIVE ENTIRE MONTHS?

She claims she has to support Jeymi and she can’t legally work in Colombia so she has to work in Alabama.  So I guess the starting a food truck or other business has been abandoned.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

I’m wondering how successful that company really is.  If she takes half of nothing that isn’t taking much.

It’s always looked like a wig to me although it was wet one time when she was crying after a shower.

That donkey looked too small to ride, even smaller than a pony.

Not to be too catty - I like Gabe - despite the irresponsibility and manufactured plotlines, he and Isobel are some of the kindest contestants this show has shown.  BUT, no, his business looks labor intense and not terribly profitable.  He was living with his mom.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, anoninrva said:

BUT, no, his business looks labor intense and not terribly profitable

Yet his sister thinks he needs a pre-nup. Ok. 

Gabe was laughing and smirking the entire time he was sitting with his sister and mother. He can't keep a straight face, terrible acting job, Gabe. 

58 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

She claims she has to support Jeymi and she can’t legally work in Colombia so she has to work in Alabama

I guess she didn't know this until after they married. Right. 

I'm so tired of the Jen/Rishi drama. Every scene she says the same things over and over. Let's get on with it, already. 

Daniele is just so cringey. Oh, you're such a big, bad, independent  bitch. You're gonna show Yohan who's boss! 

Go home, Debbie. Stop making up some romantic fantasy in your head about riding camels in to the sunset and painting the beauty of Moroccan nature with your love and go home to your people. Ousamma's family seems really nice but I think that is a front because they eventually ALL want to end up in the US. The only one that didn't know this was Debbie. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Just watching Pillow Talk and I’m once again reminded how different Jenny and Summit are without the manufactured drama.  I like them on this show.  

Speaking of Pillow Talk.  I really can't stand Veronica.  She's so loud and obnoxious.  Even Tim seems annoyed by her. 

Nice to see Loren finally not pregnant. 

• Like 5
  • Fire 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Shelbie said:

He must have thought that he hit the jackpot when this older woman was seemingly swept away by his magical poetry and deep insights into life. Instead Debbie is standing up for herself and what she wants and he has no idea what to do but call her crazy.

Beautifully said. Once Debbie clarified (to her benefit that this clarification wasn't stalled until the end of the series) to the family, Ossama was visibly angry; unhinged even. What a major hit for Debbie. She was blindsided by this sudden change from Mr. Nice Guy to Mr. POS. I hope that Debbie doesn't take the high road when she departs and really gives this lying, self-serving user what he deserves. A hard kick in the pants, among other things, to put it mildly. 

29 minutes ago, Shauna said:

Speaking of Pillow Talk.  I really can't stand Veronica.  She's so loud and obnoxious.  Even Tim seems annoyed by her. 

I like Veronica on PT, but why do they keep inviting Kulani and her sister on? Then it becomes unwatchable for me. The sister seems to (rightfully) be putting up with Kulani's comments and Kulani adds nothing to the show but stupidity. I like John and Patrick.

• Like 7
56 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Ousamma's family seems really nice but I think that is a front because they eventually ALL want to end up in the US.

Well the sister can always marry an American.  And she is attractive unlike him.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Breedom said:

Beautifully said. Once Debbie clarified (to her benefit that this clarification wasn't stalled until the end of the series) to the family, Ossama was visibly angry; unhinged even. What a major hit for Debbie. She was blindsided by this sudden change from Mr. Nice Guy to Mr. POS. I hope that Debbie doesn't take the high road when she departs and really gives this lying, self-serving user what he deserves. A hard kick in the pants, among other things, to put it mildly. 

I like Veronica on PT, but why do they keep inviting Kulani and her sister on? Then it becomes unwatchable for me. The sister seems to (rightfully) be putting up with Kulani's comments and Kulani adds nothing to the show but stupidity. I like John and Patrick.

Crazy that he thinks he can talk to her like that and expects he to just do what he wants.  That said, I repeat myself, she is lucky she has a camera crew with her, so he can’t get coercive.  

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
17 hours ago, DEL901 said:

What exactly are his job skills?  

"cute boy in a fabric store" @MrBuhBye 

Says so right on his resume. 

3 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

Did I miss why Kris has been in AL for FIVE ENTIRE MONTHS?

Power washing driveways. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 10
1 hour ago, Shauna said:

Can Kenny and Armando send her some socks?  I am getting sick of watching her play with her bright pink toenails.    

• Like 1
3 hours ago, lightninggirl said:

Interesting how Maccchhhmoooood is "not sure" if he wants to move to the US and not sure if he will like it, but he expects Nicole to be uncomfortable and live a completely different lifestyle in Egypt while barely batting an eye. Why did he fill out the visa if he didn't want to go? What does Nicole DO all day if she's not leaving the house? What happening to her and Maccchhmooood opening up a fabric/fashion business together? I think she was only there a few weeks in reality because her hair hasn't changed. I don't think she's that natural of a blonde, and I doubt she's spending time at the salons unless she's trimming it at home - her hair hasn't grown at all and she has zero discernible roots.

Now that Ousama isn't getting what he wants, he's gaslighting Debbie. Way to go. Debbie clomping around in slides at the farm with all the animal shit was just 😳. And oh my god, that poor donkey. I'm glad Debbie didn't break a wrist going down off of it. Nothing like a desperate immature man who's not getting what he wants. What a dick. I feel for Debbie as she's going to have a huge "I told you so" with those kids. While she deserves a little bit of that, she deserves to be living her best life wherever she chooses (obvi not Khemisset, but you get me).

I can't believe that Jeymi couldn't find ANY work in five months because there IS work there. I'm not being nonchalant when I use this phrase, but if she needed to support herself she could literally scrub toilets. I know that in 2022, there was a drop in employment for Venezuelan women in Colombia and their labor is definitely exploited due to their immigrant status, but Venezuelans have temporary protected status in Colombia so if she's working and getting paid under the table & gets caught they're not going to throw her out of the country. I am in NO way suggesting that Jeymi should take demeaning work, but she quit her job right before Kris came so she had to have a method of earning income prior to Kris moving there. Did I miss why Kris has been in AL for FIVE ENTIRE MONTHS? It was supposed to be a two-week trip to pick up her fentanyl narcolepsy meds.

I FF all of Gabe's scenes because my god, what a bore. Same with Daniele and her ex. Snoozefest.

As I understand it, it would be the husband's responsibility to go out and earn a living to support his wife and children.  Oh, and socialize with his friends at the "men only" cafes.  The woman just stays at home to cook, clean, and raise the children.  So from Mahmood's viewpoint there's no reason why Nicole would have trouble "fitting in" in Egypt.  It's just staying at home.  But if HE goes to America then he's got to get a job, learn how to fit in and have a life.  Women have no life.  He's not interested in our wildly liberal ways.

• Like 7
  • Love 2