Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

People have said dogs and cats mouths are cleaner than a humans.  ?????

Well, I don’t walk through my toilet and then lick my feet, so…

But then, like I said, I don’t think I’ve caught anything from him. Some things it’s best not to think too much about. 

• LOL 3
24 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, I don’t walk through my toilet and then lick my feet, so…

But then, like I said, I don’t think I’ve caught anything from him. Some things it’s best not to think too much about. 

Animals also lick their genitals and rear ends. Then lick you lol.

And eat poop.

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
10 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Animals also lick their genitals and rear ends. Then lick you lol.

And eat poop.

🤣🤣🤣

I am 66 years old and have had many cats and dogs in my life ( right now I have a parakeet because I do not have the money to take care of them and cannot go through the emotional pain of losing another pet) and have had many licks ( kisses) from them and the only thing I have gotten from them is love. I used to give my dogs a small plate of human food for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I never worried about it because the dishwasher would clean and sanitize the dishes. This is not to say the people whom the thought of this gives them the shudders are wrong. We are all allowed our own feelings. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

If it's not an everyday meal, I don't see the big deal with an occasional meal if it is something the dog likes. 

I think people food as an occasional treat is typical, but the OP described a dinner plate "filled" with food, so that seems excessive.  Then again, maybe it's a mastiff and a dinner plate is the size of his/her treats. 🙂

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

My cats have food dishes but when they’re all in the dishwasher, I never gave a second thought about using some small “people” bowls for them.

Yeah, my cat has her own bowls, but since she drinks out of my water glass every day, I'm certainly not going to pause at putting her food in one of my bowls if that's the only thing available. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 9/21/2023 at 10:07 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

My bank gives me a dozen or so counter checks that they print for me, when I need a stash, which is rare. I write 3 or 4 yearly, maybe.

23 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

My bank charges $35 for checks. They gave me some checks for free when I opened my account. Now no more freebies.

23 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Yeah, some accounts are probably old enough that they have grandfathered benefits that include free checks. But if yours doesn’t, you can order them online from various companies for a lot less than the bank’s price. Or at least you could several years ago, the last time I ordered checks. 

I just go to my CU and they'll print off 4 or 8. That was awesome when I was moving a lot and I still have some from before 2017. Now that I'm settled for hopefully, awhile, I may order some fun checks from one of those flyers. The downside is that I'll end up with enough checks that my great great grandchildren would be able to use them (if I planned to have kids or grand kids) since I only write a couple of checks a year.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Now, what did I just say about not thinking too much about things?!?

Too late!

FWIW, dogs have the same amount of bacteria in their mouths as we do, but the kind in their mouths don’t jump to us. So that’s the point of “dogs have cleaner mouths”. It means that it’s safer to get a kiss from a dog than from another human (bacteria wise).  

Assuming, of course, the dog wasn’t just out in the yard sampling various animal turds as they’ll do. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
6 hours ago, kristen111 said:

That is not true. And if they draw blood, you could be in trouble.

So, how clean is a cat’s mouth? A cat’s mouth is just as dirty as a human mouth. But, only 15% of the bacteria in a cat’s mouth is present in humans. Thus, humans can develop an infection if these bacteria were able to get into the bloodstream. Most people are at low risk but people with a weakened immune system will need to be more cautious.

https://peteducate.com/how-clean-is-a-cats-mouth/

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yay!

Boo!  It gets dark too early.  I do love the temperature being around 80, though; it's usually hotter here in September.  (I decidedly do not, however, love that we've had "June Gloom" off and on.)

• Like 5
53 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Are all my fellow East Coasties 😸 doing OK with the remains of Ophelia dumping a lot of rain on us? Here in the metro DC area it's a lot of rain, hardly any wind. 

We had a fair amount of rain and wind first thing this morning, but I drove out of it far enough west that there is hardly a cloud in the sky.  It was kind of cool, too -- there was a very sharp cut off between the clouds and the clear sky.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
50 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Wind and rain here on Long Island until tomorrow.  Going west into Pennsylvania overnight.  Made a big pot of Chili and Brownies for the occasion.

Nice. We put our A/C unit and fans in the shed on Thurs. and brought out the radiators and flannel. Elizabeth has a radiator in her cave and she has her butt smashed up against it. I am making chili later and some cornbread.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Anyone here know a lot about plastic surgery? I know a low of people who've had various things done, so I'm not totally ignorant. But what is crazy to me is how Marilyn Monroe had her chin and nose done and achieved flawless results, yet people get fake looking nose jobs all these decades and advances later.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Nice. We put our A/C unit and fans in the shed on Thurs. and brought out the radiators and flannel. Elizabeth has a radiator in her cave and she has her butt smashed up against it. I am making chili later and some cornbread.

I love cornbread, but never made it.  I will tho, good idea.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

There are two types of cornbread:  northern version and southern version. The northern is sweet; the southern isn't.

Yeah, I grew up with my paternal grandma's recipe, which is not sweet (she lived in Oklahoma), and I find sweet versions weird.  I never make cornbread just for me, but I'll eat a piece when I make it for my dad.  I add jalapeño to her recipe.

I am in the "bread is not cake" camp overall -- so, for the love of all that is good, do not give me wheat bread with sugar, honey, molasses, or anything sweet in it; just whole wheat flour, water, yeast, and salt. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Hmmm …so what’s better?  Probably both good.

I grew up eating the northern version and love it. For me, a piece of cornbread with butter and blackberry jam on top is delicious. I just buy that little box of Jiffy-easy & quick.

ETA: it's really not bread (you wouldn't slice it and make a sandwich). It's more like a sort of cake. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 5
On 9/22/2023 at 12:31 PM, kristen111 said:

When I lived in CA, the store I shopped at had a great deli and a sweet German woman that worked there. One time we were talking about wounds not healing well or taking a long time. She said years before that her father had a serious injury to his lower leg and it just wouldn't heal. Going by maybe an old wive's tale her dad would take the bandage off everyday and let their dog lick his wound. Amazingly (to me) she said his leg healed quite quickly after starting that regimen. 

Not sure I'd go that far, but in desperation, who knows? There must be something good in dog saliva... who knew?

ETA after reading the Cat's mouth article... the dog story was probably more wive's tale than truth.  LOL

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Mind Blown 2

On 9/22/2023 at 1:09 PM, Bastet said:

Yeah, my cat has her own bowls, but since she drinks out of my water glass every day, I'm certainly not going to pause at putting her food in one of my bowls if that's the only thing available. 

My cat also favors my water over her own.  What bother me is when she laps it up right after eating.  I'm not a big fan of essence of Purina flavored water.

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 8

Years ago I used to bake as a hobby, and I remember one time making cornbread without the sugar during a family vacation.  Someone thought it was strange, but my sister said she liked it that way.  Whatever, that was the recipe but I liked it also.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Not sure if this comment belongs in this thread or the Pets one . . . 
Regardless. Elizabeth (the cat) has a radiator in her cave? She is a Maine c**** Tortie that probably has enough fur to keep both of you warm if the temp was sub zero. 
And please describe the cave😉

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

Not sure if this comment belongs in this thread or the Pets one . . . 
Regardless. Elizabeth (the cat) has a radiator in her cave? She is a Maine c**** Tortie that probably has enough fur to keep both of you warm if the temp was sub zero. 
And please describe the cave😉

It's really just a bent wood chair with an electric radiator next to it on one side and my husband's huge box of Christmas cards on the other. He sends out hundreds to his customers from the train store. We just call it her cave. As far as being a giant ball of floof, last November we lost power  for about a day and she and I spent the day snuggled up in bed. She was freezing! Silly girl.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

As far as being a giant ball of floof, last November we lost power  for about a day and she and I spent the day snuggled up in bed. She was freezing! Silly girl.

Wow...a Maine C. Cat freezing? Good thing she doesn't live in New England 😸. Does she have tufted paws & a big mane? We had a tortoiseshell MCC mix with a huge mane, tufted paws & a black stripe from her head, down her back, to the tip of her tail. At times, she looked like a wild animal (when seen from above) & this would startle me. 

Well, Ophelia has moved onward, to NJ. We didn't lose power (we're on the grid with a nearby hospital, thank goodness!) and our area got some sorely needed rain. Autumn is here so it's safe to put away summer clothes & haul out the next phase of attire (why do women have seasonal clothes but men don't?)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Wow...a Maine C. Cat freezing? Good thing she doesn't live in New England 😸. Does she have tufted paws & a big mane? We had a tortoiseshell MCC mix with a huge mane, tufted paws & a black stripe from her head, down her back, to the tip of her tail. At times, she looked like a wild animal (when seen from above) & this would startle me. 

OMG, that sounds amazing! What a beautiful cat she must have been. Yes, Elizabeth has all that. She's just a big baby though. Our domestic shorthair, Nathan spent that same day crashed on the sofa in the living room like it was just another day. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I grew up eating the northern version and love it. For me, a piece of cornbread with butter and blackberry jam on top is delicious. I just buy that little box of Jiffy-easy & quick.

ETA: it's really not bread (you wouldn't slice it and make a sandwich). It's more like a sort of cake. 

I LOVE blackberryJam.  Butter too.  I just put the box on my list.  Will make it tomorrow.  Thanks.  I’ve been eating the toaster cakes with coffee in the morning.  With butter of course.  Is the box in the baking isle?  

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I LOVE blackberryJam.  Butter too.  I just put the box on my list.  Will make it tomorrow.  Thanks.  I’ve been eating the toaster cakes with coffee in the morning.  With butter of course.  Is the box in the baking isle?  

Yes. It's a little box. I think Jiffy also offers other mixes in the same size box so make sure it says cornbread. On the back the recipe is for corn muffins but it also gives info' if you want to bake in a pan.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yes. It's a little box. I think Jiffy also offers other mixes in the same size box so make sure it says cornbread. On the back the recipe is for corn muffins but it also gives info' if you want to bake in a pan.  

I like to use Krusteaz mixes. Jiffy only makes 6 muffins whereas Krusteaz makes 12. I always add melted butter to the cornbread mix and sour cream to the blueberry mix. It makes them richer and not so crumbly.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

I generally only eat soup when it's cold, or at least cool, weather but I've been cooking for my parents lately and including soup for lunches as that spreads out the time between meal deliveries.  So today I'm making cream of wild mushroom soup (for delivery tomorrow; I'm not going anywhere on football day!).  And, even though it's not soup weather, I'm keeping some for me as it's one of my favorites.  I'm using oyster, porcini, shiitake, and chanterelle mushrooms.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I think I'll try that. I bet my husband would love it! How long did you give it? Just box directions?

Yes just bake the corn bread according to the directions. The chili is cooked already so should not take that long.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2