Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 7/23/2023 at 1:20 PM, PRgal said:

I might not be the only adult without basic survival swim skills, but I'm definitely the only (or at least, one of few) from my circle.  And that makes a big difference.  I can't go to my local pool, whether it be at the community centre or at my club and tell them about my situation because, well, it's seen as odd.  That's the difference.

On 7/23/2023 at 3:13 PM, theredhead77 said:

People will think positively about someone who is learning how to save their own life. It's not your fault your parents never taught you this basic life-saving skill. I encourage you to put your discomfort aside, no one is going to look at you funny, and do it, if not for you, for your son. It's literally only too late when you're drowning because you don't know how to rescue float.

What @theredhead77 said:

Would you rather avoid judgemental people with too much time on their hands, or gain the skills to potentially save yourself or, god forbid, your son, should the unimaginable happen?

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 6
12 hours ago, PRgal said:

Well, you can't NOT take skating when you're Canadian.  Sadly, my life in figure skating was short-lived.  I was getting very good at it, but my parents put an end to it once I had my first seizure.  They're probably right.  What if I get sick mid jump?  

Are you still apt to have a seizure while in or around the water? If so, this complicates things.🧸

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Are you still apt to have a seizure while in or around the water? If so, this complicates things.🧸

Nope.  On meds and seizure-free.

• Applause 2
  • Love 5

I loved swimming, once I was used to it. A doctor told me that I should swim for exercise, and gave me a permanent excuse to get out of PE, because I have bad knees. Favourite doctor in the world. ;) I hated PE. 

I haven't been swimming in years, though. In England, I could take a bus quickly, to a pool. Wherever we lived. In California, the apartment buildings usually had at least a small one. In Ohio. I would need a lift. I almost drowned in an outdoor pool that was busy, when I was around eleven, and the father of other kids, finally saw that I was drowning, not playing around. I had to swim down the middle of this long pool, because the edges were full of people. He lifted me out, and I ran to find my mum. 

I'm too scared to swim in a lake, or the ocean, although I might try one day. I was just at Lake Erie, last weekend, and sat with my feet in the water, on a huge branch that was partially in the water. The main beach was overcrowded, and the place I like to sit (under a tree), was taken, so we walked further down, and had to climb down to an area that my dog loved - he had such a good time - but I was in the sun, where I don't love to be, and the branch was rocking with the waves, so it wasn't really relaxing. I was trying to read, and stay on the branch. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

A neighbor told me this: 

he’s about 20 years older than his wife… he said he feels she will die soon and he wants a new young wife. I was like whattttt?!

People are strange.

Uh-oh...he might be sizing you up as a potential replacement for her. Keep your distance 😊.

• Like 3
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 2

Taking a Survey .. Is it just me, or is everyone in the house because of the heat?  My husband says it’s too hot for the beach, or any other place for that matter.  He would be happy watching tv for the rest of his life and reading sports.  I’m a Gemini and like to go out and need air.  The only place we go to is the store and CVS.  He blames the traffic.  But, if it’s a golf day, he’s raring to go.  I’d go out myself, but I’m still not ready to drive too far because of my spine surgery.  What say you all?  Housebound or on the go?  And where?    Xo Housebound in Long Island.   (Eyeballs falling out from reading).

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
4 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

What say you all?  Housebound or on the go?  And where?

I'm sticking close to home - going out to bring in the recycling boxes was my "going out of the house" time today.  On the other hand my husband and son have just left for a camping week-end.  The LAST place I want to be in this heat is a tent...

• Like 6

I'm mostly home, appreciating the AC. I was in two supermarkets this week (Wegmans & Safeway) and there weren't many customers (*shocking* for Wegmans!!) It's almost August, a time when the metro DC area quiets down as many folks go on vacation before the kids return to school. So easy to get around, run errands, a lot less traffic. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
24 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Taking a Survey .. Is it just me, or is everyone in the house because of the heat?  My husband says it’s too hot for the beach, or any other place for that matter.  He would be happy watching tv for the rest of his life and reading sports.  I’m a Gemini and like to go out and need air.  The only place we go to is the store and CVS.  He blames the traffic.  But, if it’s a golf day, he’s raring to go.  I’d go out myself, but I’m still not ready to drive too far because of my spine surgery.  What say you all?  Housebound or on the go?  And where?    Xo Housebound in Long Island.   (Eyeballs falling out from reading).

In Seattle so it's been sunny  and in the seventies here. But I'm a hermit so I don't go anywhere.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
54 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Taking a Survey .. Is it just me, or is everyone in the house because of the heat?  My husband says it’s too hot for the beach, or any other place for that matter.  

I'm staying in the house today.  I was thinking of going to the local swimming hole this afternoon, but even early this morning it was too hot for me to be comfortable outside.

I do have outdoor plans tomorrow morning, so I'll be stuck dealing with the heat and humidity then since the front won't make it through here until later in the day.  But the highs next week should only be in the mid-80s with low(er) humidity.  I can't wait!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

In Seattle so it's been sunny  and in the seventies here. But I'm a hermit so I don't go anywhere.

Ok .. 1 for Hermit.   Bet @EtheltoTillieis in the Hamptons.

7 minutes ago, Rose Quartz said:

I'm staying in the house today.  I was thinking of going to the local swimming hole this afternoon, but even early this morning it was too hot for me to be comfortable outside.

I do have outdoor plans tomorrow morning, so I'll be stuck dealing with the heat and humidity then since the front won't make it through here until later in the day.  But the highs next week should only be in the mid-80s with low(er) humidity.  I can't wait!

1 for plans tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm mostly home, appreciating the AC. I was in two supermarkets this week (Wegmans & Safeway) and there weren't many customers (*shocking* for Wegmans!!) It's almost August, a time when the metro DC area quiets down as many folks go on vacation before the kids return to school. So easy to get around, run errands, a lot less traffic. 

1 for shopping.

• Like 2
  • Wink 3

I’m spending a good bit of time outdoors BUT in my own back garden with my Kindle.  Even today with our heat advisory I’m outside but now in the shade. (It’s NOTHING like what other parts of the country have up here, it’s merely 92F though a bit sticky.)

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

And now my I-pad is on the bum again since the pop ups came on.  I’m losing my posts.  Especially pm’s.

5 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

I’m spending a good bit of time outdoors BUT in my own back garden with my Kindle.  Even today with our heat advisory I’m outside but now in the shade. (It’s NOTHING like what other parts of the country have up here, it’s merely 92F though a bit sticky.)

1 for outdoors at her home.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

What say you all?  Housebound or on the go?  And where?

I hate the summer and hate the heat. I'd be happy in a locale where the weather never tops 75 degrees F. I'm staying home in the a/c until it cools off, but we do have to go to the supermarket tonight after dinner. Tomorrow, I have an engagement, but it's indoors.

Guys, Mr ECM and I have a new grandson. He was born Wednesday night and joins his 2-year-old brother at home. We're overjoyed! 👶

• Like 3
  • Applause 8
  • Love 12

6 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

A neighbor told me this: 

he’s about 20 years older than his wife… he said he feels she will die soon and he wants a new young wife. I was like whattttt?!

People are strange.

I'm trying hard not to laugh!  Darn those guys.  Tell him you're trying to find someone much younger than yourself (though I'm not sure if I'd want to go out with a guy who is Gen Z...they can be...odd)

• Wink 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I’m a Gemini and like to go out and need air.

Not sure what being a Gemini has to do with it.  I'm a Gemini, and in this heat, I will happily stay inside all day.

• Like 6

I'm inside but hoping to get in the pool around 6pm when it's shady, unless there's still too many people in it.🏊‍♀️

2 hours ago, Rose Quartz said:

I was thinking of going to the local swimming hole

Care to share where it is? 
Or is keeping it secret part of the appeal?😉🏊‍♀️

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
26 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I'm trying hard not to laugh!  Darn those guys.  Tell him you're trying to find someone much younger than yourself (though I'm not sure if I'd want to go out with a guy who is Gen Z...they can be...odd)

I can’t see myself dating anyone under 30. Picturing myself with a randy 25 year old hehe. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 5
7 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

A neighbor told me this: 

People are strange.

Urm...and of what is she supposedly dying of?? I'd stay well clear of this guy! Especially if you have great life insurance! Sounds like the makings of an episode of The Real Murders of xxxx.

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Gramto6 said:

Sounds like the makings of an episode of The Real Murders of xxxx.

I was just thinking that.  If the wife were to die "accidentally" I'd be thinking a call to the police might be in order 🤯

• Like 7

Hermit here and a Gemini. I pretty much stay home all the time. And I'm fine with that!

No AC in house or car, but I have water on two sides of my home so that helps keep it cooler by a bit then the surrounding area.  I go to dr appts and the grocery store and that is about it. The inside of the car is worse than the inside of the house so home I stay!

• Like 6
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

I was just thinking that.  If the wife were to die "accidentally" I'd be thinking a call to the police might be in order 🤯

Yeah and make sure they don't let him know who their source is 👀

• Like 7
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

I hate the summer and hate the heat. I'd be happy in a locale where the weather never tops 75 degrees. 👶

Right there with you. I loathe summer. Heat, humidity, bugs, firecrackers, loud neighbors. If you find a place where it never goes over 75, please share.

(I can't erase the emoji.)

• Like 10

Didn't San Diego used to have perfect weather? It's definitely changed, based on a cousin's complaints the past 10 years. We were visiting them in 2014 & so many restaurants had their doors open (no AC🙄). Our B&B had a clunky old window unit. When we got to Los Angeles, a hotel staffer said it was 104°. Of course, this was "a dry heat". Yeah, so much for dry heat. I was suffering!

• Like 5
(edited)

I HATE the summer heat and humidity.  I have a health condition that makes my heart beat faster than most people's so I'm warm even in the winter. If I say it's cold, you can bet it is cold out there.  Of course, I've always lived in the Southeast.  I used to jokingly say I was going to move to the north where it is cooler, but during the last few years, things have been hot even in the north.  I need to go to the grocery store tomorrow, but I'll be getting out early so I should be home before it starts getting too hot.  70-75 degrees is my idea of heaven.  Once it starts getting to 80 degrees that is starting to get too warm for me.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 5
4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I only go outside if I have chores to do or take the dog out.

Yesterday I went grocery shopping. 

Today I went to the Kitchenaid pop up shop.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
55 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I can’t see myself dating anyone under 30. Picturing myself with a randy 25 year old hehe. 

Goodness....25 year olds.  For me, it means they were born the year I graduated from high school!!!!!  Thank goodness I'm happily married.  For me, I'm not sure if I can go more than 10 years younger (so we're talking 34 or so).

• Like 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Har, you would be wrong. Ethel to Tillie has Covid!  Tested positive yesterday. 

OMG .. are you kidding?  Is it the first time?

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Not sure what being a Gemini has to do with it.  I'm a Gemini, and in this heat, I will happily stay inside all day.

My Sister is heavily into astrology and said Geminis need to be out and about doing things.  Who knows?  

3 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

No had it in 2020, before vaccines. Less severe this time. 

Sorry to hear that.  Here I thought it was just about over.  Get well soon.  🌸🌷

• Like 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, kristen111 said:

One vote for staying mostly indoors or on the deck with a fan. The heat and mosquitoes are awful. We went grocery shopping today (three stores) and I was dripping sweat after bringing everything in.

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

If we ever win the lottery, we're moving to the PNW. My hostas and ferns would love it there!

2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I hate the summer and hate the heat. I'd be happy in a locale where the weather never tops 75 degrees F. I'm staying home in the a/c until it cools off, but we do have to go to the supermarket tonight after dinner. Tomorrow, I have an engagement, but it's indoors.

Guys, Mr ECM and I have a new grandson. He was born Wednesday night and joins his 2-year-old brother at home. We're overjoyed! 👶

Congratulations!!!!

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yeah and make sure they don't let him know who their source is 👀

No kidding! Does anyone remember the movie Rear Window? I first saw it as a kid and it still gives me the creeps.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

Speaking of Covid, you forget how much kids can change in 3 or 4  years (while I haven't aged a bit) anyway my cousins are up visiting and the cute little boy I last saw in the summer of 2019 is now 14 years old and over 6 ft tall.  Wow.

2 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

No kidding! Does anyone remember the movie Rear Window? I first saw it as a kid and it still gives me the creeps.

For me it was The Birds.  Never again.  Scared the hell out of me!

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1

Guess I’m the norm then.  Planned to sit on the patio lots.  Sat twice.   Planned to go in the outdoor pool lots.  Didn’t once.   It’s stores, doctors, like everyone else.  Lots of tv.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Care to share where it is? 
Or is keeping it secret part of the appeal?😉🏊‍♀️

I go to a local creek which has a well known swimming hole with a rope swing and everything.  The funny thing is that I find this semi-official swimming spot too crowded and noisy so I hike a little further downstream to another location that has a small area deep enough to swim and float a little plus some nice large rocks that I can sit on and dangle my feet in the water while I'm reading.  Best of all, there's rarely anyone else there! 😄

• Like 6
  • Love 3

Not only The Birds...how about Psycho? Even today, if I'm alone in the house, taking a shower, you *know* there will be a thump, or some other noise. Never fails to make me freeze, and then peek around the shower curtain 👀.  I used to have an Opus cartoon strip in which that character does the same thing. 

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Not only The Birds...how about Psycho? Even today, if I'm alone in the house, taking a shower, you *know* there will be a thump, or some other noise. Never fails to make me freeze, and then peek around the shower curtain 👀.  I used to have an Opus cartoon strip in which that character does the same thing. 

Bloom County!!!  I went to college in the late 80s just as that strip was hitting it big and was in all the college newspapers.  Man, I followed that strip religiously for years.  Opus and Milo and Binckly and Steve Dallas and Bill the Cat and Oliver Wendel Jones with his Banana Junior 30000.  Good times!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

We used to live in an apartment building kind of like the one Jimmy Stewart did. I will always have a soft spot for that movie. And my son and I used to watch Psycho together every Mothers Day. I love Hitchcock movies.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

I am home alone tonight so the last thing I'm watching are Hitchcock films!  I know James Corden isn't everyone's cup of tea but I am down the youtube rabbit hole right now watching his "riff-offs" with various performers.  Him and Adam Lambert trying out to be the new lead singer for Queen?  I think I watched that 3 times so far.Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

• Useful 1

I think I mentioned this once before but I saw Psycho in college and it was soon clear to me where my limit was in watching violence in movies.  As in, it's very low.  I could watch an old movie where the violence is implied but even then I don't do well with it.  If it's in any way graphic though, forget it, I just can't tolerate watching.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, roseha said:

I think I mentioned this once before but I saw Psycho in college and it was soon clear to me where my limit was in watching violence in movies.  As in, it's very low.  I could watch an old movie where the violence is implied but even then I don't do well with it.  If it's in any way graphic though, forget it, I just can't tolerate watching.

When I was a kid, I couldn't even bear to hear the intro music for The Twilight Zone, which my sister and Dad watched (but not Mom). I remember feeling jealous of their bonding time, but now that I recall Dad saying the show made the hair on the back of his neck stand up, I realize Dad was just like me in that respect (including having hair on the back of my neck, LOL). And I'm sure my sister no longer watches anything like that. 

When I was 5-6 years old in 1959, commercials for Disney's The Shaggy Dog movie on TV (in black and white) would send me shrieking in terror to bury my face in the over-stuffed velvet chair with my hands over my ears. The idea of a person morphing into a dog was uniquely terrifying for me. Anyone else? No? 

In more recent years I eventually watched all (I think?) of the Bones episodes by putting my hand in front of my face during the body discoveries and autopsies.
I can put up with a lot if there's comic relief, or romcom, or "socially redeeming" (IMO) content. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

I am home alone tonight so the last thing I'm watching are Hitchcock films!  I know James Corden isn't everyone's cup of tea but I am down the youtube rabbit hole right now watching his "riff-offs" with various performers.  Him and Adam Lambert trying out to be the new lead singer for Queen?  I think I watched that 3 times so far.Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

I've always enjoyed James Corden's humor (especially his car karaoke with Paul McCartney--he said all the things I'd have said if I were hanging out with Sir Paul 😁). I'll have to look up this YouTube bit with Adam Lambert. It's too bad in real life he's not as much fun.

• Like 3