Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Based on that post, I’m kind of surprised at the reaction to not being invited. Feelings can be quite baffling sometimes.

It takes some time to realize it's a one-sided friendship. Good-hearted people are easy to take advantage of. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, nokat said:

Birthdays I think are for the young, or if you reach 100.

I have two friends turning 50 this month, and one is renting multiple houses for a big weekend-long beach party near Santa Barbara* while the other's reaction is "My husband will probably take me out to dinner". 

*I'm a good 25 years past when I could have enjoyed something like that, never mind a pandemic, but I'd have gone up for a day outside if not for having a sick kitty who needs TLC.  If she was doing something here at home, I'd drop by for a few hours, but I'm not taking the chunk out of my day that drive would require.  (She's a cat mom, too, so completely understands.)

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, Quof said:

I don't give a tiny rat's hiney about my birthday. Except cake. You may bring me cake all day, any day.

Or emeralds!  (I'm not sure what thread it was in, but this came up elsewhere.  You may not know enough about me besides my birthday, but feel free to gift me with my birthstone!)

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Quof said:

I don't give a tiny rat's hiney about my birthday. Except cake. You may bring me cake all day, any day.

Is it your birthday?  Happy birthday!  And what kind of cake? We should send you a virtual whatever... :) 

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 4

My daughter has been to a series of concerts this summer and I was about to make a witty remark or two about the absolutely dopey names of some of the bands.  Fortunately before I could embarrass myself I remembered the names of some of the bands that were big "in my day".   I guess the idea has always been to go for something memorable if possible!

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
39 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

My daughter has been to a series of concerts this summer and I was about to make a witty remark or two about the absolutely dopey names of some of the bands.  Fortunately before I could embarrass myself I remembered the names of some of the bands that were big "in my day".   I guess the idea has always been to go for something memorable if possible!

Strawberry Alarm Clock, anyone?

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)
38 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Strawberry Alarm Clock, anyone?

I can't believe you beat me to the punch. That was my first & only thought!!!  Wasn't their one hit Incense & Peppermint?

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I find myself in the position of having to choose between (a) a "real" job with all the important stuff, but that makes me want into crawl in a hole every morning and (b) a long-term freelance position (meaning I have to deal with my own taxes and health insurance) that, while less "solid" (because freelance), I not only don't dread it or even merely just tolerate it, but actually like.

First-world problems for sure, but this year so far has been hell after a layoff, an interminable broken foot, and some personal stuff. I know I am very lucky that I have what I have and that it hasn't been worse, but stiil, ugh. It would be nice to not despise 40+ hours of my week going forward.

• Like 1

I am also in the camp of people who don’t care much about my birthday. At this stage of my life, I want money and to go out to eat with my family. I don’t need a birthday party with extended family (but since it’s my dad’s side of the family who does this and his parents are still alive I just deal with it) or people asking me for a list of presents.

Truthfully I feel similarly about Christmas LOL. 

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I am also in the camp of people who don’t care much about my birthday. At this stage of my life, I want money and to go out to eat with my family. I don’t need a birthday party with extended family (but since it’s my dad’s side of the family who does this and his parents are still alive I just deal with it) or people asking me for a list of presents.

Truthfully I feel similarly about Christmas LOL. 

That's why Halloween is my favorite. I wish it was a national holiday.

• Like 4

I've often heard people say it's harder to make friends as you get older, and IME that's true, but it's also harder to keep your old friends too.  University friends of mine and I haven't gotten together as a group since Covid times and between the 7 of us there is something on every weekend until October.  At this rate we may get to meet up sometime in 2023 but I'm not going to count on it!  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's why Halloween is my favorite. I wish it was a national holiday.

Except some of us stress out trying to figure out what to dress up as.  

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

What is your son going to be this year? I swear, mine only wanted to be a zombie every damn year.

Probably a dinosaur...again.  It's not typically school-friendly due to bulkiness, so I'm not sure what he'll do this year.  Last year, he was a firefighter.  

• Like 3
1 minute ago, PRgal said:

Probably a dinosaur...again.  It's not typically school-friendly due to bulkiness, so I'm not sure what he'll do this year.  Last year, he was a firefighter.  

I used to take our son trick or treating all around our neighborhood and then my husband would drive him to all the grandparents, aunt and uncles, etc.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I used to take our son trick or treating all around our neighborhood and then my husband would drive him to all the grandparents, aunt and uncles, etc.

That sounds like A LOT of candy.  I grew up on a street with 100 houses.  Had to do two rounds - my parents NEVER got me pumpkin buckets because I would have had to go home to empty my stash at least four times.  I took grocery bags.  Some kids used garbage bags.  

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I took grocery bags. 

We always used pillow cases, and thanks to living in suburbia at the tail end of the baby boom we always got a ton of candy.   I find it so weird now where we are lucky to get maybe 30 kids at the door.

• Like 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

We always used pillow cases, and thanks to living in suburbia at the tail end of the baby boom we always got a ton of candy.   I find it so weird now where we are lucky to get maybe 30 kids at the door.

We used pillow cases as well. It was so much fun to get a group of your fiends together and go marauding through the neighborhoods. 

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It was so much fun to get a group of your fiends together and go marauding through the neighborhoods. 

We used to head home halfway through the evening for a costume change and to empty our pillowcases then go back out to the same houses all over again.  We were greedy little cusses!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 3
42 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

We used to head home halfway through the evening for a costume change and to empty our pillowcases then go back out to the same houses all over again.  We were greedy little cusses!

Lol, you little maniacs. That's genius.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Speaking of holidays and kids my cousin is all angry and ranty because they wanted to take their kids on a cruise over Christmas and that was meant to be The Christmas Present.  And the kids are not happy about it.  She thinks they're being selfish and "ruining Christmas".  I think she's being unrealistic to expect a 10 and 12 yr old to not want gifts to open at Christmas.  At that age you could have offered me a cruise to Disneyland and thrown in a chance to meet whoever was my favorite celebrity heart throb at the time and I'd still have felt cheated if I didn't have anything under the tree - especially if there wasn't even a tree!

• Like 9
31 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

She thinks they're being selfish and "ruining Christmas". 

I cannot hear or read about "ruining Christmas" without thinking of Kathleen Madigan's bit, where she found out from her brother that her sister said she ruined Christmas by being late.  She calls her sister and says, "Yes, I was 20 minutes late, and I apologized, but I have to say you and I have very different ideas of what 'ruining Christmas' means -- if I walked into Mom and Dad's house with a shotgun and shot them in the face, that would ruin Christmas."

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I love Kathleen Madigan.

She's my second-favorite comedian, after Wanda Sykes.  There's Wanda as my far and away favorite, then Kathleen a clear second, a big gap and then several others I like, but none I love like those two.

It tickles me that she's become a cat lady.  Pretty much everyone in her family has pets and she loves them, but she never had any of her own because she's gone so much.  Last year, she found three feral kittens in her yard, got them fixed, started feeding them, and put a cat door to an enclosed porch.  One of them decided feral life was not for him, walked in and announced he was going to be her pet, and in no time she was referring to herself as his mom.  So now I like her even more.

Edited by Bastet
To clarify she doesn't just feed, she took the critical step of getting them fixed
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Whether its sports/people/politicians/really anyone you will naturally see people you like in the best light possible and people you dont like in the worst light possible.  

I am no different 

(edited)

I love Kathleen  too.  I’ve seen her in concert 2- 3 times . One concert  John Pinette opened for her and I fell in love. ( gone too soon)

I’d play his CD in my car and would have to pull over because I’d be laughing so hard.  

Edited by athousandclowns
Spell
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

She's my second-favorite comedian, after Wanda Sykes.  There's Wanda as my far and away favorite, then Kathleen a clear second, a big gap and then several others I like, but none I love like those two.

I'll have to look up Kathleen since I am a huge Wanda Sykes fan. 

• Like 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I'll have to look up Kathleen since I am a huge Wanda Sykes fan. 

They are very different.  I just happen to find each of them the best at their style of comedy, with Wanda's more my style.  Madigan is very highly respected among comedians, frequently referred to as the hardest working person in comedy.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

They are very different.  I just happen to find each of them the best at their style of comedy, with Wanda's more my style.  Madigan is very highly respected among comedians, frequently referred to as the hardest working person in comedy.

I see, thank you. As big a star as Wanda is, I find her underrated. If she were a man, she'd be even bigger imo.

• Like 7

Signs I’m getting old: went to a church picnic fundraiser tonight and they had two theme baskets for raffle I was particularly excited about. One was laundry supplies and the other was for the bathroom (two bath mats, some towels, and two rolls of toilet paper). I am now crossing my fingers hoping I win one of them haha. 

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5

On the outside chance that anyone here is listening to The Retrievals podcast, I started a thread here: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/140345-the-retrievals

11 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Signs I’m getting old: went to a church picnic fundraiser tonight and they had two theme baskets for raffle I was particularly excited about. One was laundry supplies and the other was for the bathroom (two bath mats, some towels, and two rolls of toilet paper). I am now crossing my fingers hoping I win one of them haha. 

Nah, not old.
Old is when you don't want to stock up on stuff anymore. I'm getting there. 

• Like 3

On a totally different topic,has anyone here experienced getting connecting flights canceled ,then having to wait hours standing in line for customer service ,etc.?

• Hugs 1

Wegman's  usually sells good products.  But wow $11 now for a chicken wrap there.

It's kind of funny as well I had to add that apostrophe to Wegman's otherwise auto correct switched it to Legman's   😅

• LOL 2

Do I need another thing to be horrified by? Maybe so. Right now I'm horrified/relieved by the arrest of the Long Island serial killer, who was doing his work where I grew up. These are all just Dateline stories until one of them happens on your home turf, and then they suddenly become real. An architect, no less, and a married man, being a monster in plain sight where I used to go to the beach. It's really chilling.

• Mind Blown 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 2
6 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Do I need another thing to be horrified by? Maybe so. Right now I'm horrified/relieved by the arrest of the Long Island serial killer, who was doing his work where I grew up. These are all just Dateline stories until one of them happens on your home turf, and then they suddenly become real. An architect, no less, and a married man, being a monster in plain sight where I used to go to the beach. It's really chilling.

Yes, it's in our back yard.  Also, a friend of mine had met him a few times where he used to work, as the "suspect" used to attend continuing ed programs there.  He says he was creepy.

• Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 1
44 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, I saw that.  All the Baldwins went to that high school, apparently.  Billy was in the same class. 

Seinfeld, although a bit older, also was an alumnus of the same Massapequa school. I've got lots of relatives living in that town, which is basically a 15 minute drive from me, if that. Middle class neighborhood with lots of cops and firemen living there. Next town over is Amityville, of the Amityville Horror movie. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 3

We used to go to Tiffinanny's in Massapequa (say that three times fast!). I loved all the Tiffany lamps--no idea if the place still exists.

There was a time when you could wake me up from a dead sleep and I'd be able to recite "Massapequa, Massapequa Park, Amityville, Copiague, Lindenhurst . . ." like a railroad zombie. But I never ran into Seinfeld in Massapequa. Did see him at Mineola with Phoebe Snow, though. He was very funny.

With some of those names, it's a miracle we could tell people what town we were from if we ever got lost!

• LOL 5

Random thought of the day and possibly unpopular opinion:

I don’t care one bit about the Barbie movie and all the hype coming with it. I saw some previews and it just looks stupid and too over the top, and Ryan Gosling doesn’t even look that hot as Ken. 

No offense to anyone who does want to see it. But it’s one of those things that’s too “in your face” for my taste especially when even the ice cream places are doing the Barbie themed sundae, milkshake or ice cream flavor.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
19 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Random thought of the day and possibly unpopular opinion:

I don’t care one bit about the Barbie movie and all the hype coming with it. I saw some previews and it just looks stupid and too over the top, and Ryan Gosling doesn’t even look that hot as Ken. 

No offense to anyone who does want to see it. But it’s one of those things that’s too “in your face” for my taste especially when even the ice cream places are doing the Barbie themed sundae, milkshake or ice cream flavor.

Plus Ryan looks like a washed up Ken.  Why didn’t they cast someone under 35?  He’s like the Ken that some kid decided to keep in the bottom of her toy box.  He’s not even the kid’s “main Ken,” assuming she has more than one.  Because why would you need more than one? #sorrynotsorry 

• LOL 3