Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

The Big Mac commercial only ran for a bit over a year in 1974, but look at the impact! Can still recite it 50 years later!

For real?!?!  Then how does my vegetarian 30-year-old daughter know it?  Surely I wasn't singing her to sleep with it, was I?

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

For real?!?!  Then how does my vegetarian 30-year-old daughter know it?  Surely I wasn't singing her to sleep with it, was I?

Didn't they revive it some time in the 90s/Y2K?  Or am I imagining things?  Because I certainly wasn't around in 1974.

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

My kids know the theme from Gilligan's Island, despite never having seen the show, because it's what my husband used to sing to them at night.  He had a limited repertoire it was that or

"War, huh, yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, uhh
War, huh, yeah"

I think he made the right choice.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 14
On 9/1/2024 at 11:27 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I have always heard that some of those might be memorable but not make the viewer remember the product or want to buy it.  How do they measure success?

OK, so there's more than one part to this. The first thing to know is that memorability is in the eye of the beholder, meaning that people only remember the commercials for the products they are in the market for. To generalize somewhat, a woman can see a beer commercial a hundred times and not remember it, but a man can see that same commercial once and remember it indelibly. Someone who doesn't have psoriasis can see a pharma commercial for a psoriasis drug a thousand times and not remember it, but someone who has psoriasis will remember it after one viewing. People only pay attention to car commercials in those six months or something when they're thinking they need a new car.

But that's OK! The goal is being remembered by the people who are your potential customers.

But there's "cheap" memorability and then there's the memorability that comes from creativity and insight. If you don't care which kind--like, you really don't care what kind of impression you make, as long as you make an impression--then cheap memorability may work. I don't mean cheap as in money, I mean cheap as in shouting the name of your product ten times in thirty seconds. You will be remembered! Not liked, but remembered. And that may be enough, depending on the thing you're selling.

But most big clients care about the impression they create, the brand personality they convey, the reputation their commercials can build. One way to do this is to understand the target's life and what drives them, and then create something that shows you get it, and do it with humor or music or drama creatively so you don't resemble anything else they've seen. (Ideally.) Another way also comes from understanding the customer, but more from a demographic sense. Example: Volvo buyers are more educated than Chevy buyers and like to think they're not influenced by advertising. (The fools; everybody is.) So you advertise to them in a way that flatters their intelligence. They only think they're not being influenced.

Then there's another factor. Some clients need to see next month's sales figures climb, while others are willing to wait longer and are assured they've created a memorable commercial by the fan mail that comes in. (That does happen!) They're more about building reputation, and rightly so, for their particular product or service. Some clients are in second or third place and need to move up a notch. Other clients are in first place and want to stay there. The kind of work you do for one will likely be different from the work you do for another.

Memorability can be tested various ways, including the ones you name. If your sales go up, you know the right people remembered your spot. Or it can be research, like polling that asks people the next day if they recall seeing a commercial for so-and-so. Or focus groups. But one way or another, whether your commercial is tawdry or beautiful, subtle, and sophisticated, memorability is the sine qua non.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
33 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Some clients need to see next month's sales figures climb, while others are willing to wait longer and are assured they've created a memorable commercial by the fan mail that comes in. (That does happen!) They're more about building reputation, and rightly so, for their particular product or service. Some clients are in second or third place and need to move up a notch. Other clients are in first place and want to stay there. The kind of work you do for one will likely be different from the work you do for another.

Memorability can be tested various ways, including the ones you name. If your sales go up, you know the right people remembered your spot. Or it can be research, like polling that asks people the next day if they recall seeing a commercial for so-and-so. Or focus groups. But one way or another, whether your commercial is tawdry or beautiful, subtle, and sophisticated, memorability is the sine qua non.

And nowadays, an online influencer — unpaid by the advertiser — can have unanticipated effects. Even if an influencer ridicules an ad, that doesn't necessarily mean the product won't become popular with a moneyed out-group precisely because it's not popular with mainstream customers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

OK, so there's more than one part to this. The first thing to know is that memorability is in the eye of the beholder, meaning that people only remember the commercials for the products they are in the market for. To generalize somewhat, a woman can see a beer commercial a hundred times and not remember it, but a man can see that same commercial once and remember it indelibly. Someone who doesn't have psoriasis can see a pharma commercial for a psoriasis drug a thousand times and not remember it, but someone who has psoriasis will remember it after one viewing. People only pay attention to car commercials in those six months or something when they're thinking they need a new car.

But that's OK! The goal is being remembered by the people who are your potential customers.

But there's "cheap" memorability and then there's the memorability that comes from creativity and insight. If you don't care which kind--like, you really don't care what kind of impression you make, as long as you make an impression--then cheap memorability may work. I don't mean cheap as in money, I mean cheap as in shouting the name of your product ten times in thirty seconds. You will be remembered! Not liked, but remembered. And that may be enough, depending on the thing you're selling.

But most big clients care about the impression they create, the brand personality they convey, the reputation their commercials can build. One way to do this is to understand the target's life and what drives them, and then create something that shows you get it, and do it with humor or music or drama creatively so you don't resemble anything else they've seen. (Ideally.) Another way also comes from understanding the customer, but more from a demographic sense. Example: Volvo buyers are more educated than Chevy buyers and like to think they're not influenced by advertising. (The fools; everybody is.) So you advertise to them in a way that flatters their intelligence. They only think they're not being influenced.

Then there's another factor. Some clients need to see next month's sales figures climb, while others are willing to wait longer and are assured they've created a memorable commercial by the fan mail that comes in. (That does happen!) They're more about building reputation, and rightly so, for their particular product or service. Some clients are in second or third place and need to move up a notch. Other clients are in first place and want to stay there. The kind of work you do for one will likely be different from the work you do for another.

Thanks for this super-informative content and taking the time to do it.  You now deserve a break today @Milburn Stone.

Wouldn't you know, I was reading this on my phone, which does not have the DuckDuckGo blocker--what came up?  An ad for McDonald's 

• Like 7
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And nowadays, an online influencer — unpaid by the advertiser — can have unanticipated effects. Even if an influencer ridicules an ad, that doesn't necessarily mean the product won't become popular with a moneyed out-group precisely because it's not popular with mainstream customers.

Influencers are paid by the brands they promote 98% of the time. Compensation comes in many forms--free products, brand sponsored trips to exotic locales, affiliate codes or links, product collaborations, and straight cash. It's part of the advertising budget for many brands depending on who they are trying to reach.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
On 8/31/2024 at 5:11 PM, PRgal said:

My son had a playdate over today.  Goodness, having to deal with two boys who are the same age is crazy exhausting.  And the other kid's mom was over too.  It takes THREE of us to make sure they're not knocking over and breaking things.  The only time we managed to get them to sit still was during snack time.

They are not supposed to sit still - they are children! Put them outside where they can run around and kick a ball or whack a ball or just chase each other around..where there no breakables and they can be little boys! 😺

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

Had a strange start to my morning today….

I was rear ended. Lightly. Driving down a rural four lane highway at 7:00am, the car in front of me hit their breaks so I did as well. All of a sudden I see a man standing in the middle of the road. It was like he jumped out of the bushes or something. Anyway, the car in front of me hits the guy and speeds off. The guy pops right up from the road holding his shoe so I think he only got his foot ran over. I slam on breaks and the car behind me rear ends me. I’ve got all three of my kids in the car and my youngest (8) starts crying and freaking out. We both pull over into the neighborhood right there and a state trooper immediately pulls in (he was about two cars behind us). State trooper is on the phone so I have to wait for him to get off the phone. Meanwhile, the guy that got physically hit by the car has hopped into another car and sped off into the neighborhood. The cop totally missed that part. Only saw me get rear ended. Not sure what happened but me and the other driver weren’t going to exchange insurance and the cop said he was going to drive in the neighborhood and look for the other guy. 

• Mind Blown 8
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, isalicat said:

They are not supposed to sit still - they are children! Put them outside where they can run around and kick a ball or whack a ball or just chase each other around..where there no breakables and they can be little boys! 😺

We were supposed to meet at the park but the weather was kind of muggy so I said we could play at our place instead.  We live in a condo, so no backyard.  I think I should have had them make slime or something.  Gross things that boys typically like.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, PRgal said:

We were supposed to meet at the park but the weather was kind of muggy so I said we could play at our place instead.  We live in a condo, so no backyard.  I think I should have had them make slime or something.  Gross things that boys typically like.

Or they could make a tent city out of your living room with old sheets and such...and pretend to go camping. They could also learn to make pizza (usually a big hit although it may require deep cleaning your kitchen afterwards!) assuming you have flour etc. available. Doesn't your son like Legos? (my kid was Lego obsessed from age 3 to about 10 or so...) We lived in the mountains with snow on the ground at least 6 months out of the year so weather (unless it was pouring snow or rain) was no excuse not to get outside...either built snow forts and/or sliding hills or go skiing...or play tag or hide-n-seek all over the block but children should spend minimal time inside if they are not in school, in my opinion. Their rapidly growing minds need maximum creative opportunities and having games and adventures with your friends away from the parameters of an adult defined activity is incredibly important.

• Like 1

Even when we ARE outside, at least two adults have to be there to supervise to make sure they don't run off.  My loves to play hide and seek and sometimes, in not-so-appropriate places.  

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Mountainair said:

I was rear ended. Lightly.

Very strange. Maybe the person on foot was taking a call of nature, or maybe he was trying something dodgy.

1 minute ago, PRgal said:

Even when we ARE outside, at least two adults have to be there to supervise to make sure they don't run off.  My loves to play hide and seek and sometimes, in not-so-appropriate places.  

Yep, I remember being at a family gathering at a park with two boys, when the younger one wanted to stay in a wooded area where no one could see him. I had to let the older one go back to the family on his own. They can really be a handful at that age.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Maybe the person on foot was taking a call of nature, or maybe he was trying something dodgy.

This was my first thought as well.  We had a few incidents in the city near me with what the newscasters called "staged car accidents".  If this was the case I am betting   the fact that there was a policeman right on the spot scared them off. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
15 minutes ago, PRgal said:

As a mom of two boys who used to be young (they are 12 and 14 now) it was not always easy to keep them occupied. Granted, we live in a house with an acre of yard so we’ve always had a swing set, yard games, etc.. I was also allergic to messes so slime gave me hives although I would relent from time to time. As far as indoor activities my kids loved their Thomas the Train set for ever and would always play with that, hot wheels race car tracks that would take up the whole living room, table tents, puzzles, board games. Mostly they entertained themselves with toys in their room. It was always best when their cousins came over. They’d play for hours in their rooms with cousins, make a contained mess and clean it up afterward. All my kids cousins are girls but I always welcome them over because they entertain each other and I get a break. Even when they were little. 

• Like 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, Mountainair said:

I was rear ended. Lightly. Driving down a rural four lane highway at 7:00am, the car in front of me hit their breaks so I did as well. All of a sudden I see a man standing in the middle of the road. It was like he jumped out of the bushes or something. Anyway, the car in front of me hits the guy and speeds off. The guy pops right up from the road holding his shoe so I think he only got his foot ran over. I slam on breaks and the car behind me rear ends me. I’ve got all three of my kids in the car and my youngest (8) starts crying and freaking out. We both pull over into the neighborhood right there and a state trooper immediately pulls in (he was about two cars behind us). State trooper is on the phone so I have to wait for him to get off the phone. Meanwhile, the guy that got physically hit by the car has hopped into another car and sped off into the neighborhood. The cop totally missed that part. Only saw me get rear ended.…

10 hours ago, Dimity said:

This was my first thought as well.  We had a few incidents in the city near me with what the newscasters called "staged car accidents".  If this was the case I am betting   the fact that there was a policeman right on the spot scared them off. 

Yes. Does sound like it might have been a planned scam.

11 hours ago, Mountainair said:

…but me and the other driver weren’t going to exchange insurance and the cop said he was going to drive in the neighborhood and look for the other guy. 

@Mountainair, whose idea was it to not exchange insurance info? 
If it was the idea of the guy who rear-ended you, he might have been part of the scam (if that's what it was).
Did you notice if the cop at least took down your and the rear-ender's license plate numbers?

Where I live the cops only stop speeders on holidays. 
The rest of the time they're trying to keep up with murder, arson, etc.
If your accident was in a similarly high-crime/too-few-police area, and if you and the rear-ender didn't want to pursue it, the cop might not have even recorded the license plates (although he should have done so, and taken down your DL infos too). 

A common crime where I live is car theft by teens for "joy" riding, not infrequently ending in serious injury or even death.
Last week the "joy" riding resulted in the death of a beloved member of the senior community who played piano for them every day.

Anyway, I hope you don't wake up tomorrow with a whiplash injury @Mountainair. I had one many years ago from getting rear-ended. 
But that was before they started making bumpers out of fiberglass and other materials that break on impact. With my old ’75 Chevy station wagon, the bumper/fender was just dented, and my neck absorbed the bulk of the shock.
— Or so it was explained to me.🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by shapeshifter
clarity
  • Sad 2
27 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Monday was 25 c and fine. Thursday was 16 c and rainy. Even hail! Spring is not to be trusted.

The Aussies were remarking about this drastic change in weather in The NY Times Wordle comments too.

FYI for all y’all Fahrenheit Few:
25°C to 16°C is:
77°F to 61°F

Here in Rochester NY yesterday the range was 50°F / 10°C  to 79°F / 26°C.
Today the range will be a bit wider.

These variations are not uncommon here, or in Illinois, or in the mountains of California, sometimes within an hour.

But it sounds like such temperature drops are unusual where you live?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

These variations are not uncommon here, or in Illinois, or in the mountains of California, sometimes within an hour.

But it sounds like such temperature drops are unusual where you live?

Not hugely. We've had it before. Still feels like a funny swing in such short a time.

• Useful 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Anduin said:

Not hugely. We've had it before. Still feels like a funny swing in such short a time.

I like to note big temperature swings in short times too.
This is from May 2020, in a town on Lake Michigan about 30 miles north of Chicago:

weather-variation-may9-2020.thumb.JPEG.612fb1aafb774a1941574ff61c082e13.JPEG

It went from
60ºF / 16ºC at 3:28 p.m.
to 
27ºF / −3º at 3:45 p.m. Oops! 2:45 a.m.

late in the spring.
I think most of the fruit trees didn't produce that year.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I like to note big temperature swings in short times too.
This is from May 2020, in a town on Lake Michigan about 30 miles north of Chicago:

It went from
60ºF / 16ºC at 3:28 p.m.
to 
27ºF / −3º at 3:45 p.m.

late in the spring.
I think most of the fruit trees didn't produce that year.

I know summer will be rough and extensive. The short swing between the extremes is always tricky. But wow, that really is something!

• Wink 1
3 hours ago, Anduin said:

I know summer will be rough and extensive. The short swing between the extremes is always tricky. But wow, that really is something!

Oops! 
That was a 12 hour time between the 30 degree change. 
But I have seen it drop that much in an hour.
I'll try to come through the pictures later and find something more surprising.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Anduin said:

Fascinating.  16 degrees from one day to the next is just normal life here.  We did the reverse a few days ago and went from 77 to 94.  

• Like 4
(edited)

This is the time of year for us where we wear jackets in the morning and tank tops by 3pm. It’s so hard to dress. This is actually a cooler week for us. Last week it was around 56f in the morning and 94f by afternoon. 

IMG_3186.jpeg

Edited by Mountainair
  • Like 5

Temperatures here have hit triple digits.  I had to go to the store a couple of hours ago, and had there been high humidity as well rather than a dry heat, I'd have keeled over in the parking lot.  This is too damn hot!  And my tomato plants look like they've been subjected to a blowtorch. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 6
  • Sad 3
13 minutes ago, Mountainair said:

This is the time of year for us where we wear jackets in the morning and tank tops by 3pm. It’s so hard to dress. This is actually a cooler week for us. Last week it was around 56f in the morning and 94f by afternoon. 

IMG_3186.jpeg

That's our typical summer weather. Layers! 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Absolom said:

When I got to my car after an appointment earlier today it was a cozy 115 degrees.

Eeeeeeeek. No, thank you. 

Anyone who's tired of the heat, you can come out to my neck of the woods! We'e going to have a very nice, comfortable weekend here - tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the upper 60s and we could hit the upper 30s for our low tomorrow night. And the rest of the weekend is supposed to be on the cooler side - not as cool as tomorrow, but within the ballpark. First taste of fall, I'm excited. And I will enjoy it while it lasts, 'cause next week we're back up in the upper 80s again by midweek. 

Mind, I will gladly take upper 80s over 115 degrees any day, so... 

• Like 7

Our weather was a comfy 70 degrees, for a couple of days. Up to 80 for the last two days, and it's only going to be 61 on Saturday. I'm not ready for that. 

• Like 3

These temperature swings during the day is why I have a love/hate relationship with both Spring and Fall.  And, even though I should be used to it, it never fails to surprise me that 70 in the Spring feels so nice and warm, but 70 in the Fall and I almost need a jacket.  Our humidity has been way down the past few days, too, and that helps 70 feel cooler.

Right now (about 6:45 am), it's 48F, and meant to get to the mid-70s this afternoon.  

• Like 7

I'm thrilled that the 90°+ days are gone🤞(for this year) but I can't get used to the temperature changes throughout the day. It's really chilly in the morning so I want to wear leggings. But by noon, it's warm. I know-- kvetch, kvetch. As my dad would say to me, "You'd kick if you were in the water". 🤗💛 Anyone else hear this (back in the day)?

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm thrilled that the 90°+ days are gone🤞(for this year) but I can't get used to the temperature changes throughout the day. It's really chilly in the morning so I want to wear leggings. But by noon, it's warm. I know-- kvetch, kvetch. As my dad would say to me, "You'd kick if you were in the water". 🤗💛 Anyone else hear this (back in the day)?

I can't remember ever hearing that, but it got me curious enough to google it.  The only remotely similar thing that came up was "you'd kick if you were swimming."  (Interestingly, it was on a different forum that I also follow.)

My only guess is that it means something like, you figure it out, you can do it if you have to...?

• Like 3
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I can't remember ever hearing that, but it got me curious enough to google it.  The only remotely similar thing that came up was "you'd kick if you were swimming."  (Interestingly, it was on a different forum that I also follow.)

My only guess is that it means something like, you figure it out, you can do it if you have to...?

I don't know exactly how the phrase came about, but my kid's mind knew he was saying that I was overdoing it with my complaints. And I was. I could/still can whine with the best of 'em 😁)

• Like 3
7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

It reminds me of this said to someone who complains too much: "you'd bitch if you were hung with a new rope".

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Suzn said:

It reminds me of this said to someone who complains too much: "you'd bitch if you were hung with a new rope".

Yeah, that's the kind of phrase with which I'm familiar for a "You're always complaining" sentiment.  I'm struggling how to explain "You'd kick if you were in the water/swimming" says the same idea.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, that's the kind of phrase with which I'm familiar for a "You're always complaining" sentiment.  I'm struggling how to explain "You'd kick if you were in the water/swimming" says the same idea.

I think it means you'd complain (kick) even if things were going your way.

21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

As my dad would say to me, "You'd kick if you were in the water". 🤗💛 Anyone else hear this (back in the day)?

Nope.
And my Mom peppered her speech with idioms.
What is the geographic region where that figure of speech is used? 
Mom was from Newark NJ, so I’m guessing your Dad was from somewhere else.
New Zealand maybe?🙃🙂
Ireland?☘️
New Orleans?
Guam?

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Nope.
And my Mom peppered her speech with idioms.
What is the geographic region where that figure of speech is used? 
Mom was from Newark NJ, so I’m guessing your Dad was from somewhere else.
New Zealand maybe?🙃🙂
Ireland?☘️
New Orleans?
Guam?

Connecticut, mostly. My granddad was a minister so they eventually moved to Montclair, NJ where he finished high school.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Speaking of wordle, I play letter boxed and in the last week have managed to get it with only two words three times, including today (hints available upon request).  And no one cares because no one I know plays it so trying to do a humblebrag on FB will fall pretty flat.  Oh well it made me happy 😄.

Edited by Dimity
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
20 hours ago, Dimity said:

Speaking of wordle, I play letter boxed and in the last week have managed to get it with only two words three times, including today (hints available upon request).  And no one cares because no one I know plays it so trying to do a humblebrag on FB will fall pretty flat.  Oh well it made me happy 😄.

I don't think any of my FB friends would care that I got Purple first on yesterday's Connections (also figured it out today and got Purple 3rd).

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't think any of my FB friends would care that I got Purple first on yesterday's Connections (also figured it out today and got Purple 3rd).

I checked and I got purple second yesterday.  Haven't done todays so far.  Pretty sure purple is the one I usually get last and end up saying "seriously?  what the hell?"

Edited by Dimity
  • Like 3
  • Wink 1
1 minute ago, Dimity said:

I checked and I got purple second yesterday.  Haven't done todays so far.  Pretty sure purple is the one I usually get last and end up saying "seriously?  what the hell?"

There's a Tik-Tokker that I follow who posts his and his wife's opinions on Connections and he says "purple just happens." And it does on most days. I hate it when the Purple category is things like "starts with state name abbreviations" or something like that.

• Like 2
Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

I hate it when the Purple category is things like "starts with state name abbreviations" or something like that.

I remember one that was something along the lines of words that start with an animals name with a letter changed.  Sure obvious when you know what they are doing but otherwise, come on!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I read an article the other day (who knows where) that said that of all the NYT games, Connections is the most predictive of higher-order intelligence. I choose to believe that. 😊

• Like 2