Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

On 1/25/2024 at 6:49 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, now I have to ask. Are there places where you can own an apartment? In my experience, apartment=rent. If you owned that space, it would be a condo or coop. But my rental experience is fairly limited. 

Yes, in Ireland you can buy apartments but it’s basically the same thing as buying a condominium in the US. 

22 hours ago, Yeah No said:

The only other way I could be off the hook for a lot of money is if I could show that I lived there for 2 out of the last 5 years I owned it, which I can't because I didn't.  I wish someone would have told me about this before my father signed it over to me so long ago. 

I wish we’d known that too. We just sold our house in Ireland, it was our home until we emigrated.  Irish CGT rules allow credit for all the years we lived in it so while there’s definitely tax due it’s not horrible. But for US tax purposes we’ve been gone more than five years and property prices went up a lot in the last 37 years so it’s not going to be good. We hoped to be left with enough to buy an apartment in our home village but that may not be an option once all the taxes are paid.  It could be worse, but the US tax system is not easy to understand for things like this.

Anyway, @Yeah No I hope you manage to sort your situation out without too much pain!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for recommending the Antenna channel @shapeshifter  I never look at it because it’s at 1260 on my Spectrum system. I see there are quite a few shows I’d enjoy catching up on. Today we have Soap and Becker and Wings. I’m watching an episode of The Partridge Family from 1971.  Shirley Jones is wearing hot pants in one scene and is ogled by the inimitable Norman Fell.  In another scene she is wearing the same lace-up-collar sweater I wore in my high school yearbook photo. I had the same shag haircut as David Cassidy. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Thanks for recommending the Antenna channel @shapeshifter  I never look at it because it’s at 1260 on my Spectrum system. I see there are quite a few shows I’d enjoy catching up on. Today we have Soap and Becker and Wings. I’m watching an episode of The Partridge Family from 1971.  Shirley Jones is wearing hot pants in one scene and is ogled by the inimitable Norman Fell.  In another scene she is wearing the same lace-up-collar sweater I wore in my high school yearbook photo. I had the same shag haircut as David Cassidy. 

Oh, he was ever so dreamy!

• Like 2
  • Wink 2

Giving lawyer disclaimers is needed on this site and I respect that you are  giving very useful information while also saying that someone needs to verify the information. Back several years ago (not during primetimer name) a poster was getting revved up to quit a job and a lawyer poster was helping to escalate it stating as fact that they had grounds for quitting and getting unemployment. When another poster (several actually) pointed out that wasn’t how it worked the lawyer got lawyerly and “schooled” the poster that it fell under hostile workplace rules. After another few weeks of being revved up the  poster quit their job and posted about not being eligible for unemployment for any reason including hostile workplace. Radio silence from the lawyer. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Shirley Jones is wearing hot pants in one scene and is ogled by the inimitable Norman Fell.  In another scene she is wearing the same lace-up-collar sweater I wore in my high school yearbook photo. I had the same shag haircut as David Cassidy. 

LOL, I do that all the time, see tops or pants I wore in the '70s on those old shows.  I love some of the outdated words people use too.  Like "skedaddle" , or "What in the Sam Hill is going on here?"  LOL.  As for my hair, I wore it one length, long and parted in the middle.  It was wavy and poofy and back then that was in style.  My mother used to cut it for me (she clipped poodles so she knew how, LOL).  I didn't go to a salon until the '80s when I got it cut long and layered with feathered bangs like everyone else.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, he was ever so dreamy!

You know, I liked him and watched the Partridge Family, even bought his and their records, but I was never "into" him that way.  My heartthrob was Donny Osmond, LOL.  The heart wants what the heart wants, I guess....😉

I still have a pile of old teenybopper magazines from back then with posters in them of David, the Osmonds and the Jackson 5.

1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

Giving lawyer disclaimers is needed on this site and I respect that you are  giving very useful information while also saying that someone needs to verify the information. Back several years ago (not during primetimer name) a poster was getting revved up to quit a job and a lawyer poster was helping to escalate it stating as fact that they had grounds for quitting and getting unemployment. When another poster (several actually) pointed out that wasn’t how it worked the lawyer got lawyerly and “schooled” the poster that it fell under hostile workplace rules. After another few weeks of being revved up the  poster quit their job and posted about not being eligible for unemployment for any reason including hostile workplace. Radio silence from the lawyer. 

Wow, that's some story.  I'm a skeptical old New Yorker at heart and would never do that based on what one lawyer online told me, especially if they didn't check it out with anyone else.  I would always check it out with other sources first before doing anything.  I was terminated from a job without cause while out on workers' comp. several years ago and while my good lawyer friend gave me some general direction with disclaimers he knew his limits and went on his legal listserv and found me a great labor law firm that handled it for me.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Yes you (and others) and @EtheltoTillie seem to have a good connection here: Ethel gives excellent information/advice but backs it up with providing where to find information in the real world. You are open to information/ advice but do your own research on that information. It works well. The instance I related was not an equal equation, since one side was in a very vulnerable position and allowed themselves to believe the revving that supported their (wrong) viewpoint. 

Your Sam Hill quote: not sure if HamsterOfDoom is still around but back when we could have signatures (in a ridiculous Snarkfest spinoff from TWOP) he had a quote about Sam Hill and a nun that was from a tv show. In case they are still here @HamsterOfDoom and they want to share the quote.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Your Sam Hill quote: not sure if HamsterOfDoom is still around but back when we could have signatures (in a ridiculous Snarkfest spinoff from TWOP) he had a quote about Sam Hill and a nun that was from a tv show. In case they are still here @HamsterOfDoom and they want to share the quote.

Too bad, it looks like they haven't posted since 2018.

You mean there was a ridiculous snarkfest spinoff from TWOP that I didn't know about??  Do tell more.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Soap and Wings are old favorites of mine as well. Crystal Bernard had the best hair!

There was an episode of "Wings" I saw once where Helen was trying to give her parents a heads up to not develop some photos showing her in the wedding dress she'd picked out for her wedding to Joe, because there was a photo in the roll that she very much did NOT want them to see (it involved Brian taking a picture of a certain part of his body for a joke :p). 

At one point, she realizes with horror the note she'd put in with the roll of film, that said something to the effect of, "Dear Mom and Dad... Well, here it is. I love it, but Joe's afraid I'm going to trip over it while I'm walking down the aisle."

And my mom and I just freaking lost it, we were laughing so hard XD. Bernard delivered that line so perfectly, it really added to the hilarity of the scene. 

I also remember seeing her on an '80s series that some channel showed reruns of for a time, "It's a Living". That was an interesting little show, too. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
54 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

use the word skedaddle a lot and didn't realize it was a 70s slang term. How funny.

“Skedaddle” occurrs in the Berenstain Bears books, which were mostly written in the 70s and 80s.

But the OED states:

Of soldiers, troops, etc.: To retreat or retire hastily or precipitately; to flee. 

Originally U.S. military slang, introduced during the Civil War of 1861–5.

So maybe skedaddle will have another resurgence?

• Like 4
  • Wink 2

How interesting! Berenstain Bear books were my very favorite readers (with Frog and Toad coming in second), so maybe that's where it came into my vocabulary, ha ha.

In college I took a great class on 1920s history that, along with rapidly changing fashion and social mores, went into the slang of the era. There were so many fun words that we rarely or no longer use.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Yeah No said:

You know, I liked him and watched the Partridge Family, even bought his and their records, but I was never "into" him that way.  My heartthrob was Donny Osmond, LOL.  The heart wants what the heart wants, I guess....😉

I still have a pile of old teenybopper magazines from back then with posters in them of David, the Osmonds and the Jackson 5.

I remember going to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat back in the 90s and SOOOO MANY of the moms there were swooning.  It made me giggle because I'd never see so many adults act like teenagers.  

@Caoimhe:  In Canada, we typically think of condos = ownership and apartments = rent.  But some people rent out units in condo buildings too.   

• Like 5

Old slang cracks me up. While watching MASH, I'd hear the characters use slang, corny sayings, from way back in the day. Sherman Potter would say, "horse puckey". I think it was Hawkeye who said, "glorioski". Frank Burns used to utter, "nerts!" I've forgotten most of the sayings as I haven't watched the show in years.

• Like 3
(edited)

What timing -- I re-opened my Primetimer tab, knowing the forums were coming back today, and the countdown clock was on 57 seconds until relaunch.

I spent a good bit of time in bed with a head cold (first in many years!) this weekend, and used a friend's Peacock account to watch a bunch of old Top Chef; I kept wishing I could access those threads to remember what posters said at the time about various people and events.  And I really missed the Pet Peeves thread whenever anything aggravated me last week.  My cat missed it, too, since she had to listen to me grumble.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 12
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 1/28/2024 at 1:25 PM, oliviabenson said:

Is it spring yet? I’m too old for this miserable weather!!!

The sun finally came out here, on Thursday. I don't like it when it's glaring in my eyes, but I did miss it. We had a long set of foggy days, and it seemed like it was never going to go away. 

We're having Spring-like weather now.

Edited by Anela
  • Like 4
9 minutes ago, PRgal said:

How did everyone survive the last few days without Primetimer?  I finished Queer Eye Season 8.  Pretty much it.

I was on Snowing in Hell a lot more than I usually am.

• Like 5
(edited)
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I was on Snowing in Hell a lot more than I usually am.

I almost asked about that, but I couldn't remember the name.

I had a really informative week, and I watched most of the new season of Fargo. I'm currently trying to make vegan kimchi (no fish sauce, nothing seafood-like in there), but I cut myself. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 5
16 minutes ago, PRgal said:

How did everyone survive the last few days without Primetimer?  I finished Queer Eye Season 8.  Pretty much it.

I was counting the days; made me realize how addicted to this site I really am.

Didn't get much done as my husband and I finally came down with COVID, after, what, almost 4 years? My husband had a bad, bad cough and his throat was so sore, he said it felt like he was being cut by a razor blade. I presented 3 days after he, and my case was mild. I had a low-grade fever for about 5 days, and a bad, bad headache, which still persists. No sore throat and not much of a cough. As of yesterday, I still tested positive, but the line was very, very faint.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 10
  • Sad 5
19 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I spent too much time reading CNN. I did get 10/10 on the weekly quiz.

Also thought about adopting a cockapoo puppy/dog. The cat talked me out of it.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 8

Hey, yall, it's nice to be back! I may or may not have checked the countdown timer for the last few days.

I started watching The Rookie, but I'm not sure if I'll finish it since I read a spoiler for season 4 I hate.

• Like 4

Thank goodness it’s back.  Watched Downton Abby for the second time and Belgravia.  It was hard not commenting on the shows I watch.  Does anyone here that has an I-pad still have many pop ups?  I installed 2 ad blockers, but the sites don’t like them.  I might have to take them off.  Anyone?  Hello to everyone.

• Like 4
(edited)

I spent a lot of time refreshing kitty shelters and putting the old straw down on a path so I wouldn't slip on the ice. Then there were the doctor appointments... I did pop over to Reddit and read some SisterWives threads. I really don't like that site! Too dang hard to navigate. 

Ah @peacheslatour, I'll have to take a look at Snowing in Hell!  Kinda sounds like my neck of the woods in Winter! LOL!

I am glad we are back and things look/function the same!

ETA: I went to Snowing in Hell, but you have to join to look at the posts. I like to see who/what I am giving my info to before I give it up.   Oh well....

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

ETA: I went to Snowing in Hell, but you have to join to look at the posts. I like to see who/what I am giving my info to before I give it up.   Oh well....

From what I remember, someone has to vouch for you. (?) You need to know someone, to join. I thought about asking to be admitted, but it's sort of setting yourself up for rejection, too, so I didn't. 

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Thank goodness it’s back.  Watched Downton Abby for the second time and Belgravia.  It was hard not commenting on the shows I watch.  Does anyone here that has an I-pad still have many pop ups?  I installed 2 ad blockers, but the sites don’t like them.  I might have to take them off.  Anyone?  Hello to everyone.

My original 2014 iPad Mini is mostly just a doorstop, but "everyone" was saying to use primetimer forums with a modern iPad, you need to use this browser: duckduckgo.com (instead of Safari or Chrome etc.).

🧸👩🏻‍💻🥰

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
22 minutes ago, Anela said:

From what I remember, someone has to vouch for you. (?) You need to know someone, to join. I thought about asking to be admitted, but it's sort of setting yourself up for rejection, too, so I didn't. 

I'll vouch for you. Do you want to use the same user name?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Reddit??

I bit the bullet and joined Reddit, but under a different user name as this one was taken. In general, there are a lot of unhappy people there. Don’t know if I’ll venture back there now that “we” are back up and running. Saw a few of us over there in a certain forum explaining about this one.

• Like 5
  • Wink 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'll vouch for you. Do you want to use the same user name?

Oh, thank you! Yes, please. 

13 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I bit the bullet and joined Reddit, but under a different user name as this one was taken. In general, there are a lot of unhappy people there. Don’t know if I’ll venture back there now that “we” are back up and running. Saw a few of us over there in a certain forum explaining about this one.

The one thing I don’t understand about Reddit, is people down-voting totally innocuous posts. I think the site changes the numbers, at times - someone mentioned that on another Reddit forum, but I think a few of my comments were up-voted and down-voted, so when I get those notifications that so many people have liked my comment, it’s also a notice that someone must have down-voted, lol (if they’re for the same comment). I only commented a few times, I wasn’t involved in the big discussions. 

I try not to pay attention to reaction votes, but Reddit insists on telling me when they reach at least five up-votes.  

Edited by Anela
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

It depends on where you hang out. I'm in the movie and classic film subs, the florist, gardening and interior design subs. There are some really good people there.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
(edited)
47 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My original 2014 iPad Mini is mostly just a doorstop, but "everyone" was saying to use primetimer forums with a modern iPad, you need to use this browser: duckduckgo.com (instead of Safari or Chrome etc.).

🧸👩🏻‍💻🥰

Thank you.  I do have DuckDuckGo, plus an Ad blocker.  No more pop ups.  But, lots of sites don’t allow me on because of them, so I’ll take them off.  Maybe Primetimer just fixed things now.  I’ll see.  Thanks tho.  How is Landchop #2 ?  You must be in heaven. 💙💙

3 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Thank you.  I do have DuckDuckGo, plus an Ad blocker.  No more pop ups.  But, lots of sites don’t allow me on because of them, so I’ll take them off.  Maybe Primetimer just fixed things now.  I’ll see.  Thanks tho.  How is Landchop #2 ?  You must be in heaven. 💙💙

On second thought, I’ll just leave the DuckDuck on.  It might be enough.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Lambchop #2 ?  You must be in heaven. 💙💙

Yesterday while watching Lambchop #2 asleep on his Daddy's chest while Lambchop #1 engaged in imaginative play, I declared that #2 was just a "Lamb" and had not yet achieved "Lambchop" status, LOL.

But the "heaven" is marred by my feeling 2 years older and more frail. 
OTOH, even though I stand by my belief that it would have been So. Much. Easier. for my daughter to have spaced them 3 years apart instead of 2, I am personally glad to have the last grand-baby now instead of another year from now. 💙💙

• Like 4
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It depends on where you hang out. I'm in the movie and classic film subs, the florist, gardening and interior design subs. There are some really good people there.

Oh indeed there are! But all in all, it’s good to be “home”!

• Like 5
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

I mostly read and pined for this site, but was also happy the new seasons of shows I watch hasn't started yet.  I don't know too many people IRL who watch the same shows I do.

• Like 7
(edited)

Well...it sure as hell is good to be back with all of my fellow smart, fun, clever, and caring Primetimers 😊. Yeah, I must confess I peeked a few times because if it had returned ahead of schedule, I didn't want to miss out on it. I'm also relieved that there were no changes (I'm like my cat--do not like change 😾).

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yesterday while watching Lambchop #2 asleep on his Daddy's chest while Lambchop #1 engaged in imaginative play, I declared that #2 was just a "Lamb" and had not yet achieved "Lambchop" status, LOL.

But the "heaven" is marred by my feeling 2 years older and more frail. 
OTOH, even though I stand by my belief that it would have been So. Much. Easier. for my daughter to have spaced them 3 years apart instead of 2, I am personally glad to have the last grand-baby now instead of another year from now. 💙💙

When it came to my 6th grand baby, another boy, I was bushed.  We let their parents go out for dinner, and after two hours, we called them to come home.  I felt like I needed oxygen.  Lol.  After that, no more babysitting .. just playing with them was all we could handle.  😂

• Wink 4
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I was counting the days; made me realize how addicted to this site I really am.

Didn't get much done as my husband and I finally came down with COVID, after, what, almost 4 years? My husband had a bad, bad cough and his throat was so sore, he said it felt like he was being cut by a razor blade. I presented 3 days after he, and my case was mild. I had a low-grade fever for about 5 days, and a bad, bad headache, which still persists. No sore throat and not much of a cough. As of yesterday, I still tested positive, but the line was very, very faint.

I shouldn’t talk, but husband and I haven’t had Covid.  But, about 6 months ago, I was nauseous and weak for one month.  Had a MRI and Ct scan of my whole body, plus blood tests.  Everything was normal.  Maybe it was Covid?  I never took a test, as I thought you had to have a cough or cold.  Who knows?  I did lose 25 lbs tho.  Hardly ate.  ????

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

Over the break, I watched a couple more 9-1-1 episodes (new favorite show, I think) and got started on my favorite fanfic challenge of the year. I have also been looking into going back to school for accounting.

Most importantly, I decided to give up Reddit for Lent. I’ll be logging off before I go to bed on the 13th (since Ash Wednesday is the 14th) and deleting the app until Easter. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
9 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I shouldn’t talk, but husband and I haven’t had Covid.  But, about 6 months ago, I was nauseous and weak for one month.  Had a MRI and Ct scan of my whole body, plus blood tests.  Everything was normal.  Maybe it was Covid?  I never took a test, as I thought you had to have a cough or cold.  Who knows?  I did lose 25 lbs tho.  Hardly ate.  ????

With all the travel that folks are doing today, you never know what bugs are traversing the globe. I told my husband to start wearing a mask more (was surprised to learn he wasn't wearing it in most places he visited). He's had 2 respiratory infections since mid-November. I may be the lone person wearing a mask in supermarkets & other places, but I haven't had any infections in several years. Don't need any added miseries to my current stuff.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
(edited)

I have to admit that I’m a little puzzled by the “welcome back” announcement. I guess I’ve been lucky enough to avoid the areas of the boards where all this bad stuff was happening. You guys are great, even when you don’t agree with how I pronounce some stuff!

ETA. Okay now y’all are just laughing at me. I may have to revise my assessment. 😆

Edited by SoMuchTV
I see your reactions!
  • Like 6
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I asked one of the mods to PM me. Shouldn't take long.

Me too please? I'd like to see how it is. If you can, I'll PM you my alter ego user name. :)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, PRgal said:

It was weird in parts.  I did some strange things like go into my email archive and read my Dad's emails to me from the end of 2005 through early 2006.  He used to write me an email every day.  I also read emails to and from other people and it was like reliving a small section of my life.  I was reminded of things I had forgotten.  It put me in a weird headspace but it was so worth it.

I also went over to Reddit to talk about one show I was going through withdrawal about not being able to talk about here, but it was kind of unsatisfying. 

Then the sun finally came out and I got out for a few days.  I'm actually surprised the time seemed to go so fast.  It made me realize how much I appreciate this place and all of you.

What is "Snowing in Hell"?

• Like 5
  • Love 1