Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

On 10/8/2023 at 1:17 PM, RealHousewife said:

…I'm not saying all the above is stuff I deal with all the time, but I have a work trip coming up, and having dealt with harassment in the past, I'm nervous about it.

How about having a chat with your HR person to ask for advice?

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Can I ask what brand that is, @peacheslatour? We have a stovetop oven with an air fryer function, but I keep thinking a freestanding one would be better--and that color is custom-made for my kitchen!

Looks like Dash brand 

https://www.amazon.com/Tasti-CrispTM-Digital-AirCrisp®-Technology-Temperature/dp/B08QQRH2Z9?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

I know American thanksgiving is always on a Thursday (but if they can people tend to make it a long week-end),  here in Canada it's the Monday (today) and I was curious - do most people have the turkey dinner (or however you choose to celebrate if you do) on the actual day or do you have it on the week-end?  We're doing it today for various reasons but normally we like to have the get together on the Sunday so we have Monday to recuperate.

In my small world, people have turkey on Thursday and randomly people eat at like 3pm. My family eats at our Thanksgiving meal at our normal evening meal time.

image.png.a6b02ec38802aa73ea9ab71591e4c368.png

Edited by theredhead77
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
On 10/8/2023 at 5:51 AM, kristen111 said:

Tell me about it.  We have a “Sharp” tv for 19 yrs now and it’s gorgeous.  44 in and the color is amazing.  Also, a new Smart tv in the bedroom.  I hate it as I have to keep asking the grandchildren how to operate it.  It’s too technical.  Everything is a hassle.  Forget about my I-phone.  I only know the basics.  It’s ridiculous.

Maybe post here if you’re having technical issues and there will be someone with a similar device who can help out. Because seriously, if one is capable of purchasing and turning on a particular device, then some basic troubleshooting shouldn’t be beyond one’s capabilities. Sometimes you just may need someone who can walk you through some basic steps. 

• Like 1

Around here Thanksgiving dinner is on Thursday, around 2pm.  If there are leftovers, I make a turkey stew.

30 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

In my small world, people have turkey on Thursday and randomly people eat at like 3pm. My family eats at our Thanksgiving meal at our normal evening meal time.

image.png.a6b02ec38802aa73ea9ab71591e4c368.png

When I was younger Thanksgiving dinner time depended on my dad's work schedule.  It was at 5ish when he was working days.  Noon if he was working 2nd.  3ish if he was off.

30 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Same with my family.  We have snacks out during the day for football watching, and then dinner is at 7:30 as usual (well, usual for my parents; it's early for me, but I'm fine with eating earlier when I'm with them).

• Like 2

I know American thanksgiving is always on a Thursday (but if they can people tend to make it a long week-end),  here in Canada it's the Monday (today) and I was curious - do most people have the turkey dinner (or however you choose to celebrate if you do) on the actual day or do you have it on the week-end?  We're doing it today for various reasons but normally we like to have the get together on the Sunday so we have Monday to recuperate.

Definitely Thursday.  I worked in a theatre (my part-time nights and weekend job) and my husband and his siblings all work in theatre, so we scheduled dinner at a time when most of us could be there.  Now, only 2 of his brothers are still working, and the theatres have mostly stopped having shows on Thanksgiving (which is a shame since it's a great way to escape your family), but we still eat mid-afternoon.  Which works out because it give me time to digest before driving home. 

Way back when I worked in banking (my day job), I always had to work on Friday (banks aren't allowed to be closed more than 3 days in a row).  I started my current job (not in banking) 30 years ago and I still wake up on Friday morning and roll over to happily go back to sleep while marveling that I don't have to go to work! 

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe post here if you’re having technical issues and there will be someone with a similar device who can help out. Because seriously, if one is capable of purchasing and turning on a particular device, then some basic troubleshooting shouldn’t be beyond one’s capabilities. Sometimes you just may need someone who can walk you through some basic steps. 

Some wonderful posters have helped me lots with information and even pictures of my I pad, naming @OliviaBenson and @Stewedsquash.  I really appreciated it.  Everyone is really helpful on here.  Anyone make house calls?   Kidding.  Lol.  I think I might have things down Pat now.  Maybe. 😀  Hope I didn’t leave anyone out. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, kristen111 said:

Some wonderful posters have helped me lots with information and even pictures of my I pad, naming @OliviaBenson and @Stewedsquash.  I really appreciated it.  Everyone is really helpful on here.  Anyone make house calls?   Kidding.  Lol.  I think I might have things down Pat now.  Maybe. 😀  Hope I didn’t leave anyone out. 🤷‍♂️

That’s good to hear! I just hate to hear someone saying oh, I can’t figure xxx out, I’m too old/it’s too complicated. Maybe you just need help with what questions to ask. Don’t sell yourself short!  If your grandkids set something up for you, have them walk you through the steps so you know where to start next time! 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

You are very welcome ❤️

• Applause 1
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

If your grandkids set something up for you, have them walk you through the steps so you know where to start next time! 

Not everyone of any age who is technically adept is also capable of teaching someone else how to do it.

But teaching is a valuable skill, so it is a good idea to encourage them to show you how.

However, if the grandkids or anyone else didn’t set up your devices for you, you might figure them out more easily because sometimes they’re designed to work best as they are, out of the box, when the prompts guide you through the process.

Is it possible the grandkids just enjoy showing off how smart they are by setting up your TV or phone?
Maybe they get rewarded for inadvertently making it harder for you to discover the device’s features?
🍪🍰🧁🥮
😘💋🤗

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 10/8/2023 at 4:57 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Hmmm...I was coming here to post this link about Michael Chiarello and noticed the posts re: men saying inappropriate things.  Anyway, Chiarello died from some type of allergic reaction.  I remember watching his show and thinking that he made me feel uneasy and I couldn't figure out why. Several years later, it was reported that two employees accused him of sexual harassment.  Maybe I felt weird watching his show because he had a whispery voice? I also remember he snapped at an assistant during one episode and that was when I stopped watching the show.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/michael-chiarello-dead-food-network-1235748613/

I posted this in the food thread, and like you, wasn't really a fan. I found him a bit arrogant. I'm sorry he died so young. I hope the family releases more specifics at some point, though mostly I'm just curious, and they don't owe the world an explanation. Anaphylaxis is serious, it just seems odd to die a week after the onset? Maybe not. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Not everyone of any age who is technically adept is also capable of teaching someone else how to do it.

But teaching is a valuable skill, so it is a good idea to encourage them to show you how.

However, if the grandkids or anyone else didn’t set up your devices for you, you might figure them out more easily because sometimes they’re designed to work best as they are, out of the box, when the prompts guide you through the process.

Is it possible the grandkids just enjoy showing off how smart they are by setting up your TV or phone?
Maybe they get rewarded for inadvertently making it harder for you to discover the device’s features?
🍪🍰🧁🥮
😘💋🤗

Ha, you’re right.  $$ money helps too.  Seriously, they owe me.  Since they were born I’ve fed, changed, bathed and baby sat them all, with pleasure.  Now, it’s their turn.  Takes them two minutes.   They are lucky they have Grand parents.  I’ve never seen my Grands at all.  Both sides.  Besides, they seem to know everything.  Yesterday, one of them saved all my pictures that were going to delete and did something with Google pictures.  Took her two minutes.

• Like 5

FYI ..  After a woman raises children, works besides, takes care of aging two parents, educates her children, the brain wants to rest.  All this new technology on every device is one big pain in the ass.  Throw in a spoiled husband too that’s used to be catered too.  Some days, you want to blow your brains out.  Amen !

• Hugs 6

Thanksgiving (and belated happy one to our neighbors to the north) is a Thursday and that's the day I have whatever special food I'm going to have, and it won't be turkey. I will probably eat around midafternoon. Any later and indigestion will keep me up all night.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

I didn't realize just how much American thanksgiving is celebrated on the actual day!  Pretty cool really.  For us it tends to be an "any excuse for a long week-end" event I think.  Not that we don't enjoy the pumpkin pie and turkey of course!  Speaking of which does anyone really make green bean casserole?  I'm tempted to make it but it sounds, well, dubious! to me.

3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Anaphylaxis is serious, it just seems odd to die a week after the onset? Maybe not. 🤷‍♀️

That weird tick-induced allergy to meat from mammals sometimes takes a few days for symptoms to show up.  A week still seems like a long time, though.

11 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

I didn't realize just how much American thanksgiving is celebrated on the actual day!  Pretty cool really.  For us it tends to be an "any excuse for a long week-end" event I think.  Not that we don't enjoy the pumpkin pie and turkey of course!  Speaking of which does anyone really make green bean casserole?  I'm tempted to make it but it sounds, well, dubious! to me.

I've had it but never made it. There are now better recipes for this casserole, using fresh ingredients.  I think I've seen them in magazines like Bon Appetit. Yes, turkey day is on Thursday, & then Friday (if one has it off) is for shopping and/or, wow--putting up the Xmas tree. I picked up that interesting tradition while living in NC and now love it as I have even more time to show off our tree with new decorations (purchased at Bronner's in Frankenmuth, MI...they sell beautiful & unique ornaments and the store is enormous).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

I make it, the recipe calls for milk, but I leave it our and double the Mushroom soup.  I don't like a loose casserole.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Bronner's in Frankenmuth, MI...

OMG, I love Frankenmuth! I am addicted to xmas ornaments. The entire time I lived in Ohio, I wanted to go but didn't make it until I'd moved here and went to Ann Arbor for a conference.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

If you don’t mind canned string beans and straw onions and can mushroom soup, you might like it.  We started making a few years ago.  Us women like it .. the men not so much.  They sort of stick with basic stuff like fresh string beans with butter.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

If you don’t mind canned string beans and straw onions and can mushroom soup, you might like it.  We started making a few years ago.  Us women like it .. the men not so much.  They sort of stick with basic stuff like fresh string beans with butter.

As do I.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Speaking of which does anyone really make green bean casserole?  

^ Raises hand. Some of us love it, and some of us are indifferent, but it's a Thanksgiving staple for us. 

• Like 6
On 10/8/2023 at 3:34 PM, Bastet said:

Because, in their lizard brains, the married women are rejecting them because they already "belong" to another man, not because they're uninterested in the jerk who's hitting on them.  But the single women dare to say no for no other reason than they're not interested, and that drives these assholes crazy.

YUP! I remember my BF was confused that I didn't tell some annoying guy that I had a BF and said only "not interested." I told him that if the guy had been an actual nice dude just trying his luck and not a pushy, arrogant douchebag, I probably would have said, "sorry, I have a BF" instead. I don't fault a guy for trying, but I do judge him by his reaction to the initial "no thanks." 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
  • Fire 1
20 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

We're not crazy about turkey so we only have it if we're having company (& since I've never roasted a turkey, we buy the whole meal). And Thanksgiving dinner, in our mini-world, is always on Thursday 🍁🧡🦃🍏🍷🥧

I've never roasted a whole turkey either!  I roasted a turkey breast for the first couple of years after getting married, but after that, either went to the buffet at my tennis club or pre-prepped turkey breasts and sometimes, sides as well.  

• Like 2

We roast a turkey fairly often, growing up it was an economical meal for a family the size mine was plus a roast turkey dinner is probably my Dad's #1 favourite meal.   If people don't like it, I get it, but if the only reason you don't make it is because you think it might be tricky, it really isn't.  Time consuming for sure, but not particularly difficult.  Which is lucky for me!

• Like 6

For years I wanted a turkey fryer, but the outdoor ones were clearly dangerous and I wasn't willing to take the chance. Fried turkeys I'd had at other people's houses were very delicious, though. The pandemic gave me an excuse to get an indoor fryer, so I jumped on it. I was a little scared the first time I used it, but it was really very safe. Now I see they're making an oil-less variety, which I'm guessing is some kind of air fryer? Dunno. But with the new COVID variety this year, we may be breaking ours out again. Scrumptious bird and not at all greasy.

• Useful 6
11 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Speaking of which does anyone really make green bean casserole?  I'm tempted to make it but it sounds, well, dubious! to me.

I love vintage green bean casserole (the recipe on the side of the French's onion can). I'll make it outside of Thanksgiving and add either a can or two of tuna (tuna casserole) or a big can of chicken (chicken casserole). Easy meals.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, PRgal said:

I've never roasted a whole turkey either! 

There are only three of us for Thanksgiving, so we'd never get through a whole turkey!  We do a turkey breast (boned, rolled and tied up, brined, and then cooked on a charcoal grill and basted with butter).  We're usually in my parents' motorhome for Thanksgiving, but it looks like my mom's current mobility issues are going to keep us home this year.  We've had health issues force us to stay home a few times before, but even with a full-size kitchen, we don't do a huge meal. 

It's larger than typical (well, for my parents; see below), but not the big spread shown on TV:  Some sort of side salad that varies from year to year depending on my mood, turkey (and gravy, which I make ahead of time with a back, wings, and thighs [I use the thigh meat for soup to use up the rest of the turkey stock]), a green vegetable side that also varies from year to year depending on my mood, wheat brown-and-serve rolls (I cannot explain it, as I am not a big bread person, but I crave - and devour - those for Thanksgiving, and my parents have some too), and, for my parents, cornbread dressing.  My parents have pumpkin pie for dessert, but I hate pumpkin (it's like coffee to me -- smells great, tastes like shit), so I take a pass on that just as I do the dressing.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

My parents have pumpkin pie for dessert, but I hate pumpkin (it's like coffee to me -- smells great, tastes like shit), so I take a pass on that just as I do the dressing.

Just out of curiosity, would a sweet potato pie substituted in for the pumpkin make any difference to you or to your parents?  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My sister-in-law makes a dynamite sweet potato pie, but whenever she hosts a holiday, she serves it as part of the buffet meal, and not as the dessert.

I make a gazillion pumpkin nut breads every Thanksgiving and Christmas, which everyone enjoys. But strangely, I don't like pumpkin pie. Love the bread, but not the pie. Last year I made Ina Garten's pumpkin muffins with cream cheese frosting. Divine. I had bought 2 jumbo muffin tins, and my word, we had to cut those muffins in half. Way too rich!

• Like 4

Does anyone know of a clothing brand that uses a little white button in lieu of a tag? I found this sweater at a thrift store the other day and I have no idea what brand it is (not that it matters; I am just curious). The inscription on the button is unreadable, and the button is so shiny that magnifying it is not helping. And Google is not helping. I thought maybe someone here might have a similar sweater and know...

370291848_6649382255174538_2785846195398109480_n.jpg

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
18 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Does anyone know of a clothing brand that uses a little white button in lieu of a tag? I found this sweater at a thrift store the other day and I have no idea what brand it is (not that it matters; I am just curious). The inscription on the button is unreadable, and the button is so shiny that magnifying it is not helping. And Google is not helping. I thought maybe someone here might have a similar sweater and know...

370291848_6649382255174538_2785846195398109480_n.jpg

Have no idea, but very nice find.

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Thanks -- it's cute, right? A good basic that is also a little out of the ordinary. 

Yep.  Like the zippers.  Looks hardly worn.  I’m going to ask my daughter who’s into fashion.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Does anyone know of a clothing brand that uses a little white button in lieu of a tag?

I wonder if the button is intended to make it possible to remove without damaging the sweater as might happen with a sewn-in tag?
Those tags drive me nuts.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
Just now, oliviabenson said:

I love the green bean casserole from the recipe on the mushroom soup. And pumpkin lol.

I bought mini pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese filling and frosting. Beyond delicious!

I used about half a can of pumpkin purée for my cornbread rolls and the remaining was used the next day to make pumpkin bread. :) 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Just out of curiosity, would a sweet potato pie substituted in for the pumpkin make any difference to you or to your parents?

Yes - it would mean all three of us would hate it instead of just me.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

My parents have pumpkin pie for dessert, but I hate pumpkin (it's like coffee to me -- smells great, tastes like shit

Yay I'm not alone! To me, the only good part of a pumpkin is the seeds.

8 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Not the person you asked, but also barf. And I like sweet potato.

• LOL 1

Why do we have to adhere to the customary pumpkin pie? A lot of folks do not like it.  I never serve it (but I do serve, if my daughter is in town, the double layer pumpkin pie).  I prefer key lime pie or apple pie...or even better, apple crisp!

• Like 3