Type keyword(s) to search

S04:E08: Pick Me

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

As one couple commits to moving forward, another navigates heartbreaking realizations. An unexpected guest at a birthday event causes friction.

Original airdate 3/31/23

Oh boy "I see you as a project and I saw potential" might be one of the cringiest things I've heard on this show. Maybe it's just me but, oof, that was rough. I've liked Marshall but that was such a dick move.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

It seems Micah has a type in terms of friends...now her connection with Irina makes a sense. That doesn't mean I think she is any prize herself.  She might be presenting a better face during the last few episodes but that toast she made let us see she is the same girl who conspired with Irina earlier. 

If Marshall is lucky Jackie will completely gravitate to Josh because she shows promise of being a source of a whole lot of needless drama.

I'm not convinced they're a great couple but Chelsea and Kwame do seem to be the most reasonable and mature of the bunch with Brett and Tiffany a close second.  Brett and Tiffany are the best couple by default of nothing else.

The fact that Zack initially dropped Bliss in favor of Irina would and should be a lot for Bliss to completely get over at this stage.  Something tells me she is going to come to her senses and if not break up at least put off getting married until they can spend more time together without the cameras.  

Edited by ichbin
fix a sentence
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, ichbin said:

If Marshall is lucky Jackie will completely gravitate to Josh because she shows promise of being a source of a whole lot of needless drama.

Marshall would be better off without her; she's got some issues that I'm not sure he can handle. Josh and Jackie together would be a major train wreck, though, because he's as big a mess as she is.

Brett & Tiffany look like they'll go the distance.

I can see Micah marrying Paul, and also divorcing him a year later. 

I'll be surprised if Kwame doesn't go all Bartise on Chelsea at the altar. He's still hung up on Micah because he hasn't had to spend any time with her (and her friends) outside of the pods, so he hasn't seen the Mean Girl in action.

Zack & Bliss should both say "I don't" at the altar and date for awhile before thinking about marriage again.

• Like 4

Was Josh a boxer or is something weird going on with his ear? He is a bit much, seems like a big asshole and obnoxious. Also his saying he put Marshall’s feelings first…feels like some bullshit to me. 

Micah’s friends are crazy, what is with all these super protective friends that are just bitchy? I never had friends like that, but then, I am in my early 50s so maybe I just can’t relate…?

i feel bad for Chelsea, wish the best for her, don’t think it’s Kwame. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

You know what?  I am happy for Bliss and Zack.  But I don't want them to get married on the show's timeline.  I want them to date and really see if they work because they have some residual stuff to work through.

Interesting though that they are the first couple to kinda slide in mid-stream like this.  She basically replaced Irina in the mix. 

Oooh, Marshall.  I am on your side but that 'I saw you as a project' comment was massively out of pocket. But Jackie is too much. Her family seems to have her head all messed up. 

Yeah, no wonder Micah gravitated toward Irina.  She'd slide so easily within her friends.  They are all utter knuckle draggers.  My husband said the blonde one looks like Marlon Wayans' in drag character from White Girls. Ha!

I'd like to hang out with Chelsea.  She seems like such a straight shooter.

Tiffany and Brett seem like they are just delighted with each other.  I am so happy for them. They better get married!!

Was Jason drunk? Also it sounds like he was the Irina of the men's side.

Kwame?  What is you doing? Really?  Why are you still asking putting doubts out there when you are talking to Micah?  Man, there is just no rooting for him.

• Like 6
  • LOL 5
8 hours ago, dingochick said:

Micah’s friends are crazy, what is with all these super protective friends that are just bitchy? I never had friends like that, but then, I am in my early 50s so maybe I just can’t relate…?

I have 2 theories about this. The first is Micah is just trying to get screen time. After the first batch of episodes I thought she didn't really love Paul, just wanted to stay on the show. If that's the case, she probably told her friends to stir up drama for the show. 

2nd theory is, I honestly got a vibe that blonde Irina friend is in love with Micah or at least infatuated with her. Just a thought but that's very much the vibe I got.

• Like 8
25 minutes ago, ally8620000 said:

I have 2 theories about this. The first is Micah is just trying to get screen time. After the first batch of episodes I thought she didn't really love Paul, just wanted to stay on the show. If that's the case, she probably told her friends to stir up drama for the show. 

2nd theory is, I honestly got a vibe that blonde Irina friend is in love with Micah or at least infatuated with her. Just a thought but that's very much the vibe I got.

Why not both?!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, dingochick said:

i feel bad for Chelsea, wish the best for her, don’t think it’s Kwame. 

Chelsea is the best all rounder of all the women. I can't believe that not only is she with Kwame, but is also actively chasing him. Maybe she doesn't know her self worth, which is rare these days, but this is a great example.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Yeah, no wonder Micah gravitated toward Irina.  She'd slide so easily within her friends.  They are all utter knuckle draggers.  My husband said the blonde one looks like Marlon Wayans' in drag character from White Girls. Ha!

That's one of the funniest things I've ever read on these boards.  Tell your husband he literally made me laugh this morning!!  

Micah's blonde Marlon Wayans character friend is the poor man's version of Micah.  She's that used car with the giant mag wheels and loud engine, trying to dress itself up to be a sports car.

My theory is, she's insanely jealous of Micah.  If Micah finds love, then drag character girl has to go out with the uglier girls.  While I can't stand Micah, I bet she does bring the men over when they are all out.  Now, drag character gal has to sip her drinks alone.

All of Micah's friends, including Irina, are at least one notch below her on the attractiveness scale.  Which is how Micah needs it to be.  She wants to act like she's the sweet one, yet she "hires" these friends to fawn over her.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

Kwame's all upset because he'll have to make the compromise to move from Portland to Seattle.  Um, dude, you knew this was a Seattle-based show, no?  And Chelsea sees patients in person, so she cannot work remote.

Chelsea wasn't Kwame's first choice in the pods, and seeing them both in person, Micah is definitely not only his first "pod" choice, but he's more attracted to her as well.  I bet if Micah asked Kwame to move to Arizona with her (where she apparently also has a home?  Confused, but...), then Kwame would go.

Wouldn't surprise me if Kwame & Micah end up together, only to break up in about a year when he realizes what a true piece of work she is.  He actually does seem like a good guy who is with a woman he's just not attracted to.  

• Like 2
(edited)

Micah and Paul, not gonna happen. Her friends are so shallow, and he's not gonna give her the life she really wants. I feel so bad for Chelsea. She seems like such an awesome woman, and Kwame is just being so noncommittal. I don't think he's wrong for not wanting to make compromises, or to not settle down with kids. But it makes them wrong for each other. And he's not being honest about that.

Also, Josh was really fucking drunk. (I think a lot of them are, a lot of times. It's the reality show way.) And he's totally Jackie's type, in all the wrong ways. Marshall saying she was a project. Awful choice of words, in understandably a heated moment. But I think I understand what he was trying to say. It just came out very wrong.

Edited by P2C2E
  • Like 6
(edited)

I think that Marshall used a poor choice of words when he said "project".   Sometimes, we have to look at the person as a whole, and realize that Marshall is such a great guy, such an "old soul", that this was just an anomaly, a momentary slip-up.

Jackie is going to leave Marshall for that sloppy drunk Josh (I know no spoilers, I just think so).  

She will spend her life churning through one bad man after another, and she will wake up one day at 60, alone and looking haggard, and she will think back on sweet Marshall and the fact that he not only made her a plate, he finished off her breakfast with a dusting of powdered sugar.

No man will ever dust powdered sugar on her breakfast again.  Marshall is a gem.

Edited to add:  I know, because my dad was a Marshall.  My mom used to tell me that he spoiled my thoughts of how a man should treat a woman, that they're not all like that.  She was right.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Like 8
  • Love 6
On 3/31/2023 at 1:07 PM, ally8620000 said:

Oh boy "I see you as a project and I saw potential" might be one of the cringiest things I've heard on this show. Maybe it's just me but, oof, that was rough. I've liked Marshall but that was such a dick move.

I thought it was pretty rough too but then I remember how she presented herself.  I can't remember much of them in the pods other than some weird drama with Josh but in Mexico she kept talking about her family and how she didn't want to be who she was and make the same mistakes...etc.  So she partly presented herself as a work-in-progress. 

On 3/31/2023 at 6:15 PM, ichbin said:

It seems Micah has a type in terms of friends...now her connection with Irina makes a sense.

It's incredible how easily I saw Irina fitting in with that group.  It's one thing to think your friend deserves a big wedding but she chose to participate in this as much as her fiance did. 

I'm starting to feel that Kwame and Chelsea are very forced.  I don't think Chelsea is struggling with her feelings of self-worth.  I simply think she made a decision after his first conversation with Micah that she wasn't going to give up on them and she has dug her heels in.  She wanted everyone to know just how much sex they had.  And every "babe" doesn't feel very real. 

As for Bliss and Zach.  I too would want to see what happens without the cameras on both of their parts.  For Bliss, is he really interested in her or is this a way to be seen so it'll help him start his law practice?  Is Bliss agreeing because she genuinely likes Zack or is it her second chance to make a name for herself?  I am a little tired of the "second choice" discussion.  Almost everyone who has been dumped could argue they ended up with their "second choice."  Second choice. Or third. Or fourth is often the best choice.  I think that definitely applies here.  Zack may have tried to make it work with Irina but he wasn't sad to end it.  Not like he was when he ended it with Bliss in the pods.

• Like 4
(edited)

I have been thinking that Jackie is bipolar for ages.  Something is very wrong there, and she needs help.  Honestly, even though I looooooooove Marshall, something's a little wrong with him that he wants to fix her too.

Why would Micah listen to these absolutely drunk idiots?  It would only be to her detriment.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Kwame?  What is you doing? Really?  Why are you still asking putting doubts out there when you are talking to Micah?  Man, there is just no rooting for him.

Micah tries so hard to keep Kwame hangin' on, just like The Supremes song.

• Like 5

There is something not right with Jackie. She needs to take care of her problems before she can settle down with someone like Marshall.

OMG Micah's friend is a blonde Irina. She will never be happy for Micah because she is an unhappy, jealous person.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

So the mean girl (Micah) has mean girl friends. Quelle surprise! 😐 Looking forward to seeing their stank faces at the wedding. Very much NOT looking forward to seeing Irina's stank face at the reunion.

I agree that Marshall calling Jackie a project wasn't a good move. That said, I think he can do better. Nice guys don't always finish last...some women are able to appreciate them at the right time. (Wish I could include myself in that list but I'm now pushing 60 and learned too late. Bad boys are good for fucking (with plenty of protection!), not for marrying.)

I liked Jackie (despite the little bit of mean girl behavior she showed early on) but I too think there's something not quite right with her situation. Not sure if it's just family drama, her personal biochemistry, or some combination of both. Either way, this might not be the right time for her to just hop into marriage with, well, anybody.

I also agree that, if they're smart, Zack and Bliss will say no at the altar and keep on dating. I actually like their quirky humor. Didn't he say he liked Bliss' brain? I like it too. I don't get the Zack hate at all.

Kwame has rubbed me the wrong way from day 1. That said, I'm not sure if he will (or should) give his whole life up for Chelsea. Up until this episode I was on her side but...there's compromise, and then there's "my way or the highway." Sweetie, you're not the only blonde on the block.

I think I may want Kwame and Micah to get together, if only because I dislike them both. Portland/Seattle vs. Portland/Arizona? Pretty sure there are plenty of blondes in Portland, Kwame.

Brett and Tiffany are cute and will hopefully go the distance. That's all I got...

• Like 7

Tiffany and Brett seem like they are a long time married couple. Kinda boring but they are already 35-36 years old so I guess it's ok. Nothing exciting with them.

Zack is weird and akward, I feel I would feel uncomfortable around him, he is too intense. I do hope him and Bliss are happy though.

Why did the producers cast this train wreck that Jackie is? I mean, I'm sure they put them through psychological tests over and over again. I'm sure they knew Jackie has problems and they didn't care. It's a shame cause Marshall is a great guy but Jackie is not even close to appreciate him, not even in 20 years.

Kwame has changed since the start of the show. He seemed like a down to earth guy who wanted a woman to love and settle down. When Micah rejected him, I was honestly expecting him to leave because I truly believed he was there to find love and not for the fame or anything else. When he stayed, I was disappointed with him and with myself, I thought I was a better judge of character. And the cherry on top was the way he is acting with Micah. Micah yeah, she is a girl who wants to lead everyone on and keep them turned on. I had more expectations from Kwame. Not that Chelsey is the best but she doesn't deserve how he is treating her.

Irina will be punished enough when her name will remain forever on google as the mean girl.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
On 4/1/2023 at 10:07 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have been thinking that Jackie is bipolar for ages.  Something is very wrong there, and she needs help.  Honestly, even though I looooooooove Marshall, something's a little wrong with him that he wants to fix her too.

Exactly. Jackie seems troubled with all her vague statements about “bad things” back home and need for time-outs, but Marshall’s Captain Save-um statements about her and to. her. face. were “Yikes!”. He’s a good-looking guy, (and those pancakes looked good) but that was red flags all over the place.
A mentally healthy woman wouldn’t provide the drama and fawning gratitude he may need. 

On 3/31/2023 at 1:12 PM, LakeGal said:

Micah's girlfriends are as nasty as she is.  Run Paul Run.

That Shelby makes Irina seem pleasant.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:23 AM, William2021 said:

Maybe she doesn't know her self worth, which is rare these days

Low self esteem is super common.

• Like 2
On 4/1/2023 at 9:08 AM, Starlight925 said:

She wants to act like she's the sweet one, yet she "hires" these friends to fawn over her.

If she is going to end up looking like her mother yikes.

On 4/1/2023 at 11:42 AM, Starlight925 said:

Micah is definitely not only his first "pod" choice, but he's more attracted to her as well.

Chelsea is super fit but doesn’t have curves.  If he likes a certain body type that could be a dealbreaker.

• Like 1

Zack & Bliss need to COMPLETELY hash it out or they'll keep talking about it like they're already doing. He must understand how it feels like she's 2nd choice & if Irina would've acted right, he'd still be with her.

• Like 1

WTF was Josh doing?!?!! Some kinda drunk, dominance ritual on Marshall??!! Calling him a bitch all slick. Grabbing him on the waist. That is some WEIRDO SHIT!!! He is a repulsive drunk!!! I see why nobody liked him. Zack hates him being there, but he should be glad the disgust has shifted to Josh. 🤣 WHY is he there??!! It was a party for Chelsea, so if anything, the girls she was cool with would be there... We still spitting on cakes??? Oh fun.

Ugh!!! That fragile male ego is the WORST!!! I hate that we have to be extremely careful with our words & they'll be misconstrued regardless if it's not positive. The right thing is to encourage what you want, not complain about what you're not getting. So she did mess up telling him to "boss up" which he heard/felt he wasn't a man or man enough. She didn't like him leaving & found it a "game." So another "complaint" for him for him to be defensive about. She spoke in absolutes, saying he's"never" aggressive. That's #3 on the growing list of mistakes. He knows she's talking about sexually, but decides to clap to show "aggression," which, WTF?!! Again. He knows that's NOT what she meant, so she checks him, "proving" his claim she shuts down when he's "aggressive." That was so stupid!!! Then the return complaint/"flaw"/deflection, instead of being receptive & agreeing on how to fulfill the request made in the wrong way: what have you done for me? Which is returned with a, "if I've done nothing, why are you with me"? Questioning his judgement, which is what he could've started with but would've been stupid, discounting everything great he's done. Then the retaliation to the perceived wrong. 100% PREDICTABLE!!! A PROJECT?!?!! CLASSIC: you "hurt" me, I "hurt" you back. That's how he really feels. It's a wrap!!! That's not a relationship. She wanted something from him, she's a "project" to him. Can't unsay that. Can't unring that bell. He let the heightened emotions take him there. It's unfortunate. Mentally unstable/poor communicators can do that. I get it. It sucks. That's why it can't work with those types, they end up dragging the other person down versus him trying to bring her up to his level. That's what marriage is??? Not any healthy, sustainable, lifelong marriage. You can have tough, yet PRODUCTIVE, NON-HURTFUL conversations. Then he tells Brett later, she wants it toxic??? Um... Rough isn't toxic. & her self-sabotaging??? Dude needs to watch himself call her a project!!! He loves who she wants her to be. She's probably not just talking about sex, but if they can't agree on that, it ain't gunna work. He said he'd never be that. HOW did they NOT discuss this in the pods?!?!!

Edited by Lindz

Bliss isn't over being dumped & doesn't seem to be getting over it. It keeps coming up & she's looking to jump on him to point out the mistake he made. She's looking for him to mess up, which he will inevitable do. & He's in the weak position because he chose someone else. How can you be in a healthy, sustainable, lifelong relationship restarting from a place of feeling wronged & hurt & that the other person has to make it up & you're gunna make them pay for choosing someone else??? COME ON!!! He's seeming desperate by just agreeing with whatever she says she has to do to get there. They're just not coming from the right place to have the best relationship.

Can someone enlighten me about the metal wine glasses, they are everywhere! 

Josh is a close talker, he gets in people's faces like he does not understand personal space and that hanging all over Marshall, wtf? Also, he was drunk at that party.

Jackie likes to argue, about anything.

1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Can someone enlighten me about the metal wine glasses, they are everywhere!

Continuity.  It's so you can't see how much liquid is in the glass.  If there's an hour-long conversation that is spliced into 30 seconds, you won't notice that the glass started out as full and is empty 30 seconds later.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
42 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Continuity.  It's so you can't see how much liquid is in the glass.  If there's an hour-long conversation that is spliced into 30 seconds, you won't notice that the glass started out as full and is empty 30 seconds later.

Yup, also it allows for them to actually re-order later parts of a conversation in earlier, so if the liquid in the glass is low and then two minutes later it is brimming and then in the next camera shot it is low again, that would be a clue some editing shenanigans are going own.  People already know there are, but that would be some extra added in your face confirmation.

I also read that the creator just plain old likes the glasses.  And after they got so much comment on S1, he thinks of them as the show's signature item. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 4/1/2023 at 7:33 AM, ally8620000 said:

3rd theory, which has been displayed so many times on Summer House, is that women in their 30s hate to see their friends get married.  Most especially if said friend is younger.  (Note:  this is not a thing I have ever experienced in real life, but it seems to be a recurring theme in reality TV)

• Like 1