Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Two Peas on a Pod

• Start Topic

Abby tries to get the court featured on a popular podcast, but the host only has eyes for Dan, who soon learns that being the center of attention can have its downsides.

Airdate: March 7, 2023

Watched this with my mom, who thought it was dumb (she hasn't seen any other episodes); I couldn't disagree...

I spent part of the time trying to figure out who "Remecca" was...she was on A Million Little Things as Maggie's boss who got fired.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Gurgs talking about lonely people liking murder and romance made me feel called out :p. 

I liked the whole thing with that meta detector and Neil and Olivia :D. Their "arguments" were fun. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)
33 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Watched this with my mom, who thought it was dumb (she hasn't seen any other episodes); I couldn't disagree...

I spent part of the time trying to figure out who "Remecca" was...she was on A Million Little Things as Maggie's boss who got fired.

Didn't she also used to be on MAD TV?

The writing's getting incrementally better but the show's still not truly funny.  A few good lines, but way too much reliance on verbal shtick. And still too much overacting. (I was glad to see that Olivia was toned down some in this episode, though. I feel like if the actor continues to rein it in, the character could end up being very likeable.) The microphone guy at the end was painful to watch but when too many actors overact, it makes me think they're being directed that way. And the over-convenience of  the "deus ex machina" ending was tough to take.  I think it's just too big and simplistic for me, if that makes sense.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 5
7 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

Didn't she also used to be on MAD TV?

Yeah, her TV list on wikipedia goes back to the early 90s.

8 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

And the over-convenience of  the "deus ex machina" ending was tough to take.  

Her big takedown happened in what, a day? Or did I miss a time jump? 

1 minute ago, JeanJean said:

Good eye! I totally missed that.

I think Abby was wearing a different shirt, too, but I wasn't positive because she was wearing her robe. (I liked her shirt, though.)

• Like 2

I thought the show discovered some things in this episode that I hope it doesn't ignore.  Mainly, the Neil character has largely faded into the background since he was clearly hired as the designated love interest for Abby (as his crush revealed).  But both the character and the actor felt like they came alive in the fake relationship with Olivia.  If the show is going to do an office romance, they should consider doing it with them rather than Neil and Abby.  Plus, it's maybe less problematic than it'd be between a judge and a clerk.

At the very least, he's more of a character. 

I did enjoy the running jokes of some common podcast products like MeUndies and the mattress companies. 

My only true disappointment is that the revelation of the podcaster's sordid past might have been embarrassing but it's not cancellable nor would marketers drop her over it. 

• Like 4

That stunk.

This could have been a good extension of the original Night Court. But…I have come to the conclusion that, as in many things in life, “you can’t go home again “.  
I’d love to rewatch the original but it doesn’t seem to be streaming anywhere. 
It feels like it should be canceled. John L.  and a bunch of amateurs not ready for prime time. 

• Like 4
58 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

That stunk.

This could have been a good extension of the original Night Court. But…I have come to the conclusion that, as in many things in life, “you can’t go home again “.  
I’d love to rewatch the original but it doesn’t seem to be streaming anywhere. 
It feels like it should be canceled. John L.  and a bunch of amateurs not ready for prime time. 

I think it’s on Freevee

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I did enjoy the running jokes of some common podcast products like MeUndies and the mattress companies. 

I'm not familiar with podcasts so I didn't know what that was. This episode was not one of the best. Gurgs had the best lines.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

I'm not familiar with podcasts so I didn't know what that was. 

MeUndies is an underwear company that I have only seen/heard advertised on podcasts or youtubers (where they read the ad as part of the episode), and maybe Facebook. And it seems like just about every podcaster I listen to at one point claimed to have a Casper mattress. 

18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

My only true disappointment is that the revelation of the podcaster's sordid past might have been embarrassing but it's not cancellable nor would marketers drop her over it. 

Yeah, I don't see why her being a female Howard Stern or whatever with a bunch of crude jokes worthy of a middle school boy would make every advertiser drop her in a day.

• Like 1

Ehh it was a cute episode.   Olivia finally stopped over enunciating every word.   

The very subtle "I was thinking there wasn't a bright side to this so .... thank you for finding one" when Abby points out Dan could lose his job.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 3/8/2023 at 6:45 AM, chediavolo said:

That stunk.

That pretty much sums it up for me.  That's 20 minutes I'll never get back (or less, I lost count).  The fact that Gurg's lines were the best part says a lot.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That pretty much sums it up for me.  That's 20 minutes I'll never get back (or less, I lost count).  The fact that Gurg's lines were the best part says a lot.

I think Gurgs is the only character that fits in the show.  Olivia has potential if the actress toned down her delivery. 

Neil is honestly a waste of space.  In the original Mac and Charles Robinson added so much and was hilarious while Neil is just there.  Give me the back and forth of Harry and Mac any day.

• Like 3
On 3/8/2023 at 6:38 PM, ams1001 said:

MeUndies is an underwear company that I have only seen/heard advertised on podcasts or youtubers (where they read the ad as part of the episode), and maybe Facebook. And it seems like just about every podcaster I listen to at one point claimed to have a Casper mattress. 

Those meal subscription services like Blue Apron or Hello Fresh are also pretty frequent podcast advertisers.

I remember one podcaster that I listen to starting an episode with, "Hey, have you heard about Blue Apron?  Well, you never will on this show, because we're 100 percent ad-free!"  It's common enough that he could make a joke about it.

• LOL 2

With this episode, I figured out what bugs me most about Olivia.  She rarely looks at the person to whom she's speaking.  I'm sure I noticed it in other episodes, but it was so incredibly obvious in this one.  I don't know if she doesn't know her lines and is looking at a teleprompter or what, but wherever she's looking, it's not at the other person in the scene.

I did love the callback to Dan's losing an election to a dead guy, though.

• Applause 1
On 3/12/2023 at 4:36 PM, Browncoat said:

With this episode, I figured out what bugs me most about Olivia.  She rarely looks at the person to whom she's speaking.  I'm sure I noticed it in other episodes, but it was so incredibly obvious in this one.  I don't know if she doesn't know her lines and is looking at a teleprompter or what, but wherever she's looking, it's not at the other person in the scene.

I did love the callback to Dan's losing an election to a dead guy, though.

Melissa Rauch does that to.  Their bodies are facing the audience while they’ll say their lines.  It’s just bizarre and takes you right out of the scene.  If they need to read off cue cards there are more natural ways to do it.

Not the strongest...but I enjoyed the callback to Dan's history and Neil/Olivia having something to do separate from Abby. 

I liked the metal detector bit. It was so stupid and totally out of an 80s/90s sitcom, which was a nice connection for me. 

• Like 1

"Two Peas on a Pod". Abby tries to get the court featured on a popular podcast, but the host only has eyes for Dan, who soon learns that being the center of attention can have its downside.

Boring! The whole story and resolution seemed fake and Stephanie Weir (from MADtv) seemed like she was being wasted.

On 3/8/2023 at 5:33 PM, ch1 said:

The best part of the episode was the writers calling back to Dan losing an election to a dead guy.  

I wondered why that sounded familair!

Edited by Gharlane