Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 2/27/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Feb. 27 – Jim Gaffigan (“Linoleum”)

Tuesday, Feb. 28 – Samantha Bee (“Your Favorite Woman Tour”); poet J. Ivy

Wednesday, March 1 – Yvette Nicole Brown, Tisha Campbell and Kym Whitley (“Act Your Age”)

Thursday, March 2 – Performance from Adam Lambert (album, “High Drama”)

Friday, March 3 – Former White House Chief of Staff Ron Klain 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Did Whoopi actually make some sense with the discussion of re-editing old books, like the James Bond novels? It kind of sounded as if she did. Alyssa's point about adding context to texts that use outdated languages also made sense to me. Sunny wants to have it both ways, it sounded. She wants to have classes to teach history especially about racial issues in the US, but she also thought that changing the words in books is ok (she specified Live and Let Die). My thought is that students might wonder what the fuss is about in these classes if there are no examples that illustrate the attitudes in the past. Changing the word to "black man" or "black woman" doesn't convey the nature of the casual racism that was prevalent at the time the book was written. The character isn't necessarily being respectful in his interactions, but you wouldn't get that with the changed terminology. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Whoopi is back, ladies and gentlemen, with her fart jokes and her awkward transitions. 🙄

Also, guess she didn't hear the about the Liam Neeson drama because when she introduced the Michael B. Jordan segment, she took a pause to say "Yumm!,"

• LOL 4
13 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Sunny wants to have it both ways, it sounded. She wants to have classes to teach history especially about racial issues in the US, but she also thought that changing the words in books is ok (she specified Live and Let Die).

And...changing words in OTHERS' work--others' ART--but surely not her own.  Did she ever stop to think where it would end...that it will NOT end?  Sunny's World is that of the Double Standard.

Please, Someone, please...repossess her blue mug. I'm tired of her tiny sips and coy glances when she's trying to make a point...to us, the studio audience, or to some secret friends.  It was old before it started, Sunny.  

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 1
  • Applause 4
18 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Changing the word to "black man" or "black woman" doesn't convey the nature of the casual racism that was prevalent at the time the book was written. The character isn't necessarily being respectful in his interactions, but you wouldn't get that with the changed terminology. 

Also context matters.  Over the weekend I rewatched the movie A Time To Kill.  The n word was used a lot in that film.  Only the villains used it.  I wince any time I hear that word but that word would be said by those characters. 

You aren't going to be able to reedit everything.  Sometimes I will be reading a book or watching something from decades ago and something that didn't bother me then bothers me now.   There is tons of LGTBQ plots that have not aged well.  Also is it wrong to show things as they really were?  Mad Men got a lot of criticism for how their female characters were written.  But during the 50s and 60s there were not a lot if any female ad execs.  '

Michael B. Jordan did what I think most of us would love to do. Call out someone who bullied or treated us badly to their face.  Good for him.  

• Like 1

Yay, another day without Whoopi, that was surprising. And Samantha Bee was there, too, love her!

17 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Yvette Nicole Brown ♥️

I'm definitely looking forward to her, Tisha Campbell, and Adam Lambert, as far as the rest of the week.

• Like 2

I totally disagree with the panel about not bothering public figures, politicians specifically, that one might suddenly encounter.  How much opportunity does the average citizen have to address elected/appointed officials?  Yes, one can call or write etc., - and be ignored/receive a form letter in reply.  If I ran into a rep who’d IMO been acting persistently against the public interest, I damn well hope I’d be brave enough to forcefully express my disgust and make his/her restaurant meal/date/walk in the park as memorable and unpleasant as possible.  Especially MTGreen, of all blatant hypocrites- it’s only a month since her State of the Union display.  And of course, we recall her longtime tendency to follow and harass female reps of different views.

• Like 5

Re the Fox lawsuit, if Murdoch’s crew is found guilty, IMO they should be fined punitively till it actually hurts (as the panel noted, the company is loaded) and, to try to reach as many viewers as possible, Fox should be required to include, in every program, an announcement that they had knowingly and repeatedly broadcast false information in an effort to affect the outcome of an election.

• Like 9
  • Applause 9
1 hour ago, flummoxd said:

Fox should be required to include, in every program, an announcement that they had knowingly and repeatedly broadcast false information in an effort to affect the outcome of an election.

This is what I'm hoping for.  Even if there's a smaller monetary settlement, I'd like to see an announcement run once per hour 24/7 for at least six weeks.

Enjoyable show today.  

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Re the Fox lawsuit, if Murdoch’s crew is found guilty, IMO they should be fined punitively till it actually hurts (as the panel noted, the company is loaded) and, to try to reach as many viewers as possible, Fox should be required to include, in every program, an announcement that they had knowingly and repeatedly broadcast false information in an effort to affect the outcome of an election.

1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

This is what I'm hoping for.  Even if there's a smaller monetary settlement, I'd like to see an announcement run once per hour 24/7 for at least six weeks.

Enjoyable show today.  

Fox should also be required to put up a disclaimer prior to every one of their big hitter shows (Hannity, Carlson, Pirro, etc.) that the show is NOT true news, but an opinion show or infotainment show.

• Like 11
  • Love 3

Could you imagine being on a jury with Whoopi???  Especially when she starts her “here’s the thing” monologue and tries to school the rest of the jury on, well anything really.  Kill me now 😂😂😂. Not that I miss her, but for the sake of those poor unsuspecting citizens, I hope she’s back today.

• Like 1
  • LOL 13

It was refreshing for me when Joy disagreed with Sara's platitude spiel that everything-is-the-same on the parenting topic. Sara's desire to make all things out as if they're equivalent on every topic is so tiresome. She spends a lot of time talking but more often than not says nothing.

4 hours ago, jalady said:

Could you imagine being on a jury with Whoopi???  Especially when she starts her “here’s the thing” monologue and tries to school the rest of the jury on, well anything really.  Kill me now 😂😂😂. Not that I miss her, but for the sake of those poor unsuspecting citizens, I hope she’s back today.

For some reason this made me think of Dixie Carter's Julia Sugarbaker having to deal with the morons on the jury duty episode of Designing Women.

• Like 8
  • LOL 3
40 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Sara's desire to make all things out as if they're equivalent on every topic is so tiresome. She spends a lot of time talking but more often than not says nothing.

Yes, I love Sara personally since she seems like the sweetest kindest person ever, but I'm enjoying her opinions less and less these days.  Tiresome is the right word.  They just seem so scripted.

• Like 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

For some reason this made me think of Dixie Carter's Julia Sugarbaker having to deal with the morons on the jury duty episode of Designing Women.

OMG, her rant at the end when she forced the last vote was EPIC!!  

And I’m happy the citizens of NJ were spared her “wisdom”.  As usual, she was wrong on the jury duty topic; whether you have to serve based on age depends on the state where you live.  Ironically, in Florida you can opt out at age 75.  You can choose to serve, but you don’t have to (says the daughter of 80 and 84 year old parents who opt out).  I try to encourage them to go because 1) I’m a lawyer and 2) they’re both mentally sharp.  But, no dice; the drive isn’t worth it to them 🤣🤣

Edited by jalady
  • Like 5
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, jalady said:

OMG, her rant at the end when she forced the last vote was EPIC!!  

And I’m happy the citizens of NJ were spared her “wisdom”.  As usual, she was wrong on the jury duty topic; whether you have to serve based on age depends on the state where you live.  Ironically, in Florida you can opt out at age 75.  You can choose to serve, but you don’t have to (says the daughter of 80 and 84 year old parents who opt out).  I try to encourage them to go because 1) I’m a lawyer and 2) they’re both mentally sharp.  But, no dice; the drive isn’t worth it to them 🤣🤣

As a lawyer what are your thoughts on the payment that people get for doing it if their employer doesn't pay them, I know in CA they're struggling as the amount is so small. If I remember correctly in the UK it used to be that you would get the same as your employer would pay you up to a certain amount plus a travel allowance but most UK companies pay their employees anyway.

My personal opinion for what it's worth is that people should be paid by their company if they have over a certain amount of employees unless they are unemployed in which case they get the same unemployment amount.

• Like 1
(edited)

Because I now work in the legal field, I'm always, always, dismissed from serving. Which PISSES me off! Just because I'm a paralegal doesn't mean I can't follow instructions and do what I'm supposed to do! And I'm prohibited from giving legal advice. So stupid!  To clarify, it's the dismissal due to my job I find stupid. NOT being prohibited from giving legal advice. Because, hello! I'm not a lawyer.

And I call BULLSHIT when the judge says it's "nothing personal" when the past two times I was called in, I was dismissed. Because I had to tell them what I did for a living.

I had jury duty before I went back to school and became a paralegal and it was a drug case! Loved it! And the jury deliberation was just like 12 Angry Men.

Ahem.

Don't bean me, but, Shut up, Sunny, with your throwing shade at Fauci. It wasn't until COVID hit your family personally that you finally believed in getting the vaccine. Fauci was the best person out there who would and could tell everyone what to do, and he was honest when he said he didn't know; that the virus was constantly changing. I've never seen him be dismissive. So again, shut up.

I'm finding the way Allysa says "important" to be nails on a chalkboard now. It sounds like "impotant" meaning, I can't hear the "ri" when she says it. And while she's trying to clean up her image, she just can't stop lauding or cheering other assholes to "show" she hasn't left their team.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 6
  • Love 4

I had jury duty a while back and it doesn't make me mad about the low pay; what made me mad was I sat in a BIG room for 8 hours with 400 other people and they NEVER called my name.  I was SO bored!  So 2 years later when I was called, I made sure I had PLENTY of reading material and my name was the very FIRST name called.  LOL!  And I was on a medical malpractice trial for 3 weeks.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Don't bean me, but, Shut up, Sunny, with your throwing shade at Fauci. It wasn't until COVID hit your family personally that you finally believed in getting the vaccine. Fauci was the best person out there who would and could tell everyone what to do, and he was honest when he said he didn't know; that the virus was constantly changing. I've never seen him be dismissive. So again, shut up.

Antm24 GIF by America's Next Top Model

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I do think jurors are paid too little, and again it varies by state, but I don’t think there’ll ever be a universal solution in these “united” states.  And I feel your pain GH.  I was selected for jury duty once since I’ve been a lawyer, and my employer was shocked when I called from the courthouse and said I’d been chosen.  And the foreperson was also a lawyer!  In Maryland at that time juror #1 was automatically the foreperson.  But that was years ago; I hope in retirement I’ll do better.  (The last time I was summoned it was the Friday before a Labor Day weekend so I knew that would be a waste of time).  But Sunny is so ridiculous with her stories about judges and lawyers calling employers and demanding they pay their employees more for jury duty.  I worked in the same office she did - for a longer time - and that. didn’t. happen.  Ever.  😂

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I’ve been called twice for jury duty but only interviewed once. I knew the judge so she dismissed me.

I liked Whoopi and Sunny schooling Alyssa re the definition of woke. Maher is right though that the term has been co-opted for the worse. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Bill Maher really got to Whoopi and Sunny with his criticism of "wokeness".  Whoopi decided to make a statement about "us vs. you" when talking to Alyssa. It sounded very much race based, not based on political party. Sunny also said the term is being co-opted by "the right". However, I doubt anyone would consider Bill Maher right-leaning, so maybe the term has "evolved" to encompass more meanings than it originally had, because I doubt Bill would buy into a concept that is unique to the right. 

It was also a little difficult to follow, but Sunny seemed to be saying that diversity of thought doesn't count as part of diversity, equity, and inclusion. I hope she doesn't believe that, because that is a very narrow perspective. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

However, I doubt anyone would consider Bill Maher right-leaning, so maybe the term has "evolved" to encompass more meanings than it originally had, because I doubt Bill would buy into a concept that is unique to the right. 

I take it you haven't watched Real Time with Bill Maher lately.

• Like 9
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

t was also a little difficult to follow, but Sunny seemed to be saying that diversity of thought doesn't count as part of diversity, equity, and inclusion. I hope she doesn't believe that, because that is a very narrow perspective. 

I think she was saying that some concepts embraced by the far right are not worthy of being accepted as diversity of thought, things that should be outright rejected. 

• Like 2

Asunción can annoy, but I appreciated her comments that no one, including Trump, should be above the law, and that if he faces actual legal consequences, he won’t be able to run for office again, which is “everyone’s dream.”  Then Alyssa, who went to work for Trump while aware of his comment (as Sara said today) that he could shoot someone on 5th Ave. without consequences. Pretty sure Alyssa (like the restivus)must also have known of Trump’s sexist comments and history, yet she chose to join his administration.  And now The View is enabling her sugarcoating of her past.

• Like 2

And neither did Joy disappoint when she stated that “Trump has the power of the government. That’s frightening.  That’s what goes on in 3rd world countries where there’s retaliation of political enemies.”

• Like 3

This is a totally frivilous comment about Sunny - but, has anyoe else noticed all of the "bling" she's been sporting lately?  

I adore the one diamond necklace she's wearing with the smaller row of diamonds in the front, but she's also wearing a pretty substantial tennis necklace.  Both are quite striking, and if the stones are real, quite valuable.

Plus, she's wearing a diamond band thumb ring, and a couple of other rings with a good number of diamonds.

Along with the crystal-imbedded earphones and other diamond bracelets, she's been very sparkly lately!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, flummoxd said:

Asunción can annoy, but I appreciated her comments that no one, including Trump, should be above the law, and that if he faces actual legal consequences, he won’t be able to run for office again, which is “everyone’s dream.”  Then Alyssa, who went to work for Trump while aware of his comment (as Sara said today) that he could shoot someone on 5th Ave. without consequences. Pretty sure Alyssa (like the restivus)must also have known of Trump’s sexist comments and history, yet she chose to join his administration.  And now The View is enabling her sugarcoating of her past.

The trouble with that is that while nobody "should" be above the law it doesn't mean that some think they aren't & so far they seem to have been with no consequences. When & if there are ever any consequences before it's too late is another matter altogether & while I appreciate her faith in the law sometimes it seems to be just blind faith and that never stopped anything.

• Useful 1
50 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Along with the crystal-imbedded earphones

I noticed that for the first time today. I want some blinged out earbuds for the gym! 🤣

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I noticed that for the first time today. I want some blinged out earbuds for the gym! 🤣

Sunny's worn those for a while now.  At first, I thought they were some kind of earrings, but I paused the show and looked closely.  I'd like some blinged out earbuds, too!!  

And, aside from the earbuds, she also wears quite a few diamond earrings in her ears - she has multiple piercings.  

She's just sooo sparkly lately!!  😂

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I’m sorry, whut? That interview with Adam Lambert had me 🤨because Liberace was the only artist he knew was out but not out? Then a minute later, he talks about how he’s done a cover of a Culture Club song, met Boy George and blah, blah. So Adam thought Boy George was straight? There’s also Elton John, the late and wonderful George Michael AND FREDDY Mercury! William Malloy-lead singer for Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Just what the what???!!

I actually like Adam. And I thought his cover for “Mad World” was great, even though it was overused on General Hospital for the story at the time. But I didn’t like his reinvention of “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?”

AND SHUT UP, Sara!

• Applause 1

I really like Sara and think she's a good human so it makes me sad when she talks about her struggles with motherhood. It seems like everything she says about her experience as a mother is negative. Also, she often compares her dogs to her children and how the dogs were so much easier.

• Sad 3
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I’m sorry, whut? That interview with Adam Lambert had me 🤨because Liberace was the only artist he knew was out but not out? Then a minute later, he talks about how he’s done a cover of a Culture Club song, met Boy George and blah, blah. So Adam thought Boy George was straight? There’s also Elton John, the late and wonderful George Michael AND FREDDY Mercury! William Malloy-lead singer for Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Just what the what???!!

I actually like Adam. And I thought his cover for “Mad World” was great, even though it was overused on General Hospital for the story at the time. But I didn’t like his reinvention of “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?”

AND SHUT UP, Sara!

I think what he meant is that Liberace never confirmed being out, whereas the others eventually came out.

I actually enjoyed Adam's cover of "do your really want to hurt me"...and loved Mad World too.

• Like 2

I dislike the term woke because like Whoopi I've always been awake.  When I hear people saying anti-woke I think so you don't want people to be aware of the problems we have in this country.

5 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I actually enjoyed Adam's cover of "do your really want to hurt me"..

Me too.  I also enjoyed that clip they showed of him singing Cher's Believe.

• Like 6
23 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

I had jury duty a while back and it doesn't make me mad about the low pay; what made me mad was I sat in a BIG room for 8 hours with 400 other people and they NEVER called my name.  I was SO bored!  So 2 years later when I was called, I made sure I had PLENTY of reading material and my name was the very FIRST name called.  LOL!  And I was on a medical malpractice trial for 3 weeks.

Yeah, I always make sure to take a book. 

I don't really mind jury duty. Back when I was still working, I thought of the wait  as paid reading time.

I've been called to jury duty many times, but actually seated on a jury twice, and served on an actual trial once. That one time was really interesting, getting to see our justice system at work and be part if it. 

• Like 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Then Alyssa, who went to work for Trump while aware of his comment (as Sara said today) that he could shoot someone on 5th Ave. without consequences. Pretty sure Alyssa (like the restivus)must also have known of Trump’s sexist comments and history, yet she chose to join his administration.  And now The View is enabling her sugarcoating of her past.

Yes, this!  Yesterday I was going to comment about how she is so proud of having resigned after 1/6.  But she also told  us having been in the oval office when trump wanted to hang whoever had outed him for being in the bunker . He called it treason.  Wasn’t that a bridge too far?  I actually like Allysa, but I think it’s only because I didn’t know who she was before.

Edited by 2JEWELL
bad grammar
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Yeah, I always make sure to take a book. 

I don't really mind jury duty. Back when I was still working, I thought of the wait  as paid reading time.

I've been called to jury duty many times, but actually seated on a jury twice, and served on an actual trial once. That one time was really interesting, getting to see our justice system at work and be part if it. 

I've only been called for jury duty once, but it involved showing up at least 4 days of a work week (Mon - Thurs) for 8 hours a day. If you got chosen for a case, you might end up going for Friday as well. I also brought a book, but by day 2, those of us who hadn't been chosen yet began to socialize a bit and even went out to lunch together, so it wasn't a completely boring time. I don't recall the compensation, but it was nowhere near what I would have been paid by my company. Fortunately, my company allowed time off for jury duty, so I didn't take a financial hit for it. Overall, I was glad to have participated, and was a little disappointed not to be chosen. 

• Like 2