Type keyword(s) to search

The View:Week of 2/20/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Feb. 20 – Elizabeth Banks (“Cocaine Bear”); Madelyn Cline (“Outer Banks” and “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”); performance from Broadway’s “Some Like It Hot”

Tuesday, Feb. 21 – The Political View with Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) (author, “It’s OK to Angry About Capitalism”); Michael B. Jordan (“Creed III”)

Wednesday, Feb. 22 – Guy Fieri (“Tournament of Champions”)

Thursday, Feb. 23 – Goldie Taylor (author, “The Love You Save: A Memoir”)

Friday, Feb. 24 – Billy Crudup (“Hello Tomorrow!”)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

The trailer for Cocaine Bear cracks me up.  I think it's either going to be a bomb or it'll be the biggest hit of the year.  I'm betting on it being a big hit.  It's just too weird not to be.  

The next Sharknado.

• LOL 3

Whoopi poo-pooing and shutting down any opposing view and Sunny coyly sipping on her mug this morning is so frustrating.

Anna and Alyssa tried to up good points but both ultimately backed down. 

And sorry Whoopi, but AI, texting and modern day tech issues ARE here and ARE a problem. You can be of a certain age and still understand but hearings have shown many aren’t willing to wrap their heads around it like Alyssa said.

It’s reflective in the makeup of the table. How many topics do we get that are misunderstood or dismissed because of the demographic of the current panel?

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
40 minutes ago, geekburger said:

Whoopi poo-pooing and shutting down any opposing view and Sunny coyly sipping on her mug this morning is so frustrating.

Anna and Alyssa tried to up good points but both ultimately backed down. 

And sorry Whoopi, but AI, texting and modern day tech issues ARE here and ARE a problem. You can be of a certain age and still understand but hearings have shown many aren’t willing to wrap their heads around it like Alyssa said.

It’s reflective in the makeup of the table. How many topics do we get that are misunderstood or dismissed because of the demographic of the current panel?

This is true. There are plenty of videos of older congressmen questioning witnesses about technology and it’s clear they have no idea what they are talking about. It is an age thing. That said, people like Nikki Haley claiming they are part of the new generation are laughable. Yes, she’s younger but she’s been in politics for decades.

Oh, no!  A show about men in drag?  😱. Hide the children!

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
56 minutes ago, Haleth said:

people like Nikki Haley claiming they are part of the new generation are laughable. Yes, she’s younger but she’s been in politics for decades.

Haley is three years younger than me.  We are Gen X.  I always say we are the forgotten generation because everyone talks about Boomers and Millennials and now Gen Z.  I know I am not considered young anymore. But I don't think I'm considered old yet either.  However the average age of Republican voters is over 50 so maybe Haley will look like the new generation to them. 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, maggie263 said:

And why did Sara suddenly show up for the interview with Elizabeth Banks?

I wondered about that too. The others seemed to be wearing the same clothes they were wearing earlier so I didn't think it was prerecorded. 

10 minutes ago, js9548 said:

I wondered about that too. The others seemed to be wearing the same clothes they were wearing earlier so I didn't think it was prerecorded. 

I thought the whole show today was prerecorded since today is a holiday. I assumed that the Elizabeth Banks segment might have been recorded separately, probably to accommodate her schedule. 

I thought it was interesting that she said one thing she wanted to do with her new movie was work with a lot of CGI because she hadn't done much of that before. It is always good to see how people work to expand their skills in a practical way.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I thought the whole show today was prerecorded since today is a holiday.

I also think it's prerecorded.  One day last week, Thursday or Friday, Ana said something about being back or dealing with something on the show on Tuesday. 

9 hours ago, Haleth said:

This is true. There are plenty of videos of older congressmen questioning witnesses about technology and it’s clear they have no idea what they are talking about. It is an age thing. That said, people like Nikki Haley claiming they are part of the new generation are laughable. Yes, she’s younger but she’s been in politics for decades.

Don't they have aides that are supposed to review and investigate these issues? The older legislators should be using their staffs to bring them up to date on new issues. Anyone who demonstrates that they can't keep up should probably not run again, regardless of their age. 

As for Nikki, she's not that old, especially compared to some of the really old guys (and gals) in office. You don't have to be 30 to be a "new generation" when the current generation is 20 years older than you. 

• Like 3

I look at the older Congress people questioning technology as both trying to grasp it..and also questioning why continue down a slippery slope of tech advancements (which will continue to eliminate jobs, also make it easier for cyber crime to occur, etc).  I try to limit social media posts (and I've never understood why people would post their entire job history on linkedin).

I was interested in the Gen Z not driving as much.  I think it's a combination of price of vehicle, fuel costs, and environmental concerns.  And also it depends on if you're in an urban area vs suburb/rural area as well.  Ana and Alyssa had good points while whoopi/Sunny weren't getting it.

And while Haley isn't super young, at least she's under 50.  Maybe it's time for someone in Gen X to become president?  I remember how excited boomers were when Clinton became president since he was the first Baby Boomer to take office.  

• Applause 1
22 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

And while Haley isn't super young, at least she's under 50.

And why when Whoopi says this, there is no blowback but when Don Lemon says it on his CNN morning show there is PLENTY of blowback and he is taken off the air to attend "Sensitivity Training" mandated by HR?🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I was interested in the Gen Z not driving as much.  I think it's a combination of price of vehicle, fuel costs, and environmental concerns.  And also it depends on if you're in an urban area vs suburb/rural area as well.  Ana and Alyssa had good points while whoopi/Sunny weren't getting it.

1. I doubt if only-child Princess Sunny was truly driving a "Hoopti" as she claimed.
  2. Living paycheck-to-paycheck wasn't poverty when Sunny was a child.  It's how most of America lived.
  3. Also, surprised that Sunny had no idea Richard Belzer was a comedian.  A comedian FIRST.  A comedian FOREMOST.                           She always seems so concerned about being "in" (and invited) to all things shobizzy.

On 2/20/2023 at 12:55 PM, js9548 said:
On 2/20/2023 at 12:50 PM, maggie263 said:

And why did Sara suddenly show up for the interview with Elizabeth Banks?

Maybe Sara suddenly left...rather than suddenly showed up.

• Like 1

Did anyone get to watch the whole show?  Did anything interesting come up with the Bernie interview?

Not as much fawning over Michael B as there was for Liam N even though he is just as swoon worthy.  Guess the ladies got the message.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Did anyone get to watch the whole show?  Did anything interesting come up with the Bernie interview?

Not as much fawning over Michael B as there was for Liam N even though he is just as swoon worthy.  Guess the ladies got the message.

I watched the entire show on Hulu.  I thought it was a good show.  Whoopi not being there of course helped. The Bernie interview is what you would expect.  He talked about the wealth gap in this country and does it in such a way even Whoopi would have been able to understand it.  They showed a Tik Tok video he was inadvertently part of it.  It was funny.  Alyssa said it looked like a Larry David skit and someone (Joy?) said one of the genealogy shows determined Bernie and Larry are in fact related.  Joy and Sunny both said they are doing one of the genealogy shows. 

Michael B. Jordan is swoon worthy.  I remember him as a kid.  He has grown into a very nice young man.  Really looking forward to the new Creed.

4 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Living paycheck-to-paycheck wasn't poverty when Sunny was a child.  It's how most of America lived.

It still is how most Americans live.

4 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Also, surprised that Sunny had no idea Richard Belzer was a comedian.  A comedian FIRST.  A comedian FOREMOST.

Sunny is my age.  I knew Belzer was a comedian.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I missed yesterday’s show, but I remember Whoopi previously mentioning knowing him as a younger actor when he was in All My Children years ago when they taped in the same building. Maybe they still think of him as that young man/kid and don’t say anything since it might be considered weird. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I missed yesterday’s show, but I remember Whoopi previously mentioning knowing him as a younger actor when he was in All My Children years ago when they taped in the same building. Maybe they still think of him as that young man/kid and don’t say anything since it might be considered weird. 

That might have a lot to do with it. I remember him on The Wire, where I think he was a young teen, so while I can appreciate his looks now, it feels a little squicky to "swoon" over him, like drooling over a kid from your neighborhood who has grown up. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

While researching turning over Jan 6 footage to Fox I wish Sunny had looked up if Hakeem Jeffries could do the same to other news outlets.

Sunny really should get therapy for her jealousy issues. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 5
26 minutes ago, Haleth said:

While researching turning over Jan 6 footage to Fox I wish Sunny had looked up if Hakeem Jeffries could do the same to other news outlets.

It really is a bad look. I have always found that people who themselves cannot be trusted project that insecurity on their partners. 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I was just coming here to mention that. Her story about Manny, the macaroons and her thinking he could have been cheating only to find out they were from their dentist's mother. It's cringeworthy how she acts like there's nothing wrong with that behavior when telling stories about herself on TV then she tries to excuse it away by saying something like "at least he wasn't cheating".

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
Just now, Cementhead said:

If Sunny thinks she is in a happy, healthy marriage she would be wrong.  There is nothing healthy about her behaviour and let's ask Manny just how happy he is. 

Living with someone who constantly accuses you of cheating is a miserable existence. What is that saying about making your own worst fear a reality?

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

If Sunny thinks she is in a happy, healthy marriage she would be wrong.  There is nothing healthy about her behaviour and let's ask Manny just how happy he is. 

Either he is giving her reason to doubt him or she is just insanely jealous for no reason. Either way there are issues in that marriage.

12 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Living with someone who constantly accuses you of cheating is a miserable existence. What is that saying about making your own worst fear a reality?

Self fulfilling prophecy.  If Manny just goes along with her jealousy as not big deal then he is as crazy as her.  What is that teaching their kids? Is Gabriel going to think I better not look at another woman or my partner is going to get mad?  Is Paloma going to see her partner look at someone else and get mad?

26 minutes ago, Jaded said:

It's cringeworthy how she acts like there's nothing wrong with that behavior when telling stories about herself on TV then she tries to excuse it away by saying something like "at least he wasn't cheating".

I'm sure some of his colleagues and patients have to be aware of what his wife says on TV.  So are they thinking he is cheating and she is close to catching him or do they think his wife is nuts? Could you imagine being a female coworker of Manny?  Wonder if Sunny ever makes unannounced visits to Manny's office. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
9 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Could you imagine being a female coworker of Manny?  Wonder if Sunny ever makes unannounced visits to Manny's office. 

I remember her saying she threw away a cake that one of Manny's co-workers gave him.  How embarrassed Manny must have been at work the day after she publicly divulged that.  

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
7 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

1. Also, surprised that Sunny had no idea Richard Belzer was a comedian.  A comedian FIRST.  A comedian FOREMOST.                           She always seems so concerned about being "in" (and invited) to all things shobizzy.

As a longtime Viewer, I’ve gotten the impression lately that Sunny almost takes pride in ignorance of mainstream/non-minority culture.  In the last year or two, there’ve been several instances where she claimed never to have seen very popular movies, none of which had significant minority involvement.  Maybe she’s trying, laudably, to make the point that entertainment that lacks diversity risks a diminished audience?

• Like 1

What a shame Bernie Sanders’s segment was preempted for many of the Viewers - as I watched it, I was cheered, believing that his clearly stated opinions would reach a large audience that may not follow public affairs closely.  For example, yesterday it was revealed that the 30 year old jury “ foreman” of the Georgia Special Grand Jury had been ignorant of a notorious phone call that led to presidential impeachment…

9 minutes ago, flummoxd said:

As a longtime Viewer, I’ve gotten the impression lately that Sunny almost takes pride in ignorance of mainstream/non-minority culture.  In the last year or two, there’ve been several instances where she claimed never to have seen very popular movies, none of which had significant minority involvement.  Maybe she’s trying, laudably, to make the point that entertainment that lacks diversity risks a diminished audience?

(I added bolding above)

I think this is a little too subtle for Sunny. I think she watches/reads/listens to whatever attracts her personally and doesn't bother to learn about anything else. TBF, that's probably what most of us do. It is a little indulgent, because you don't have to learn about what interests and is important to other members of your society, and taken to extremes, it can end up in more division between people, because there are no common touchpoints to use to understand each other. 

If we get nudged to expose ourselves to things outside of our existing experience, we may find that we enjoy it (best case) or at least get insight into other groups of people (worst case). We don't have to commit to embracing everything, but as parents often say about food, "try a little bit, you might like it".

1 minute ago, KittyQ said:

(I added bolding above)

I think this is a little too subtle for Sunny. I think she watches/reads/listens to whatever attracts her personally and doesn't bother to learn about anything else. TBF, that's probably what most of us do. It is a little indulgent, because you don't have to learn about what interests and is important to other members of your society, and taken to extremes, it can end up in more division between people, because there are no common touchpoints to use to understand each other. 

If we get nudged to expose ourselves to things outside of our existing experience, we may find that we enjoy it (best case) or at least get insight into other groups of people (worst case). We don't have to commit to embracing everything, but as parents often say about food, "try a little bit, you might like it".

But most of us are not on a daytime tv show that discusses these things & she is. I think it's another way of her saying that she's better than the viewers because she doesn't watch normal or popular stuff in the same way that she loves to wear designer clothing with the name printed all over it just to show that she has more money than the majority of the viewers.

She just comes across as a not very nice person to me.

• Like 4

When Sunny first started on the View I wasn't watching. I had taken a break when Joy was let go and hadn't come back yet.  I can remember reading here on days Sunny wasn't there posters would say where is Sunny.  I don't remember who the other cohosts were but apparently Sunny was needed to refute whatever nonsense they were saying.  And here we are less than 10 years later and some of us are saying oh damn Sunny is there today.  I've said many times before there is a smugness with Sunny that wasn't there before.  I don't know if it was always there and I didn't notice it because she was sitting next to Meghan who just reeked of smugness or if something changed to make her that way.  I don't hate her but I find a lot of what she says bothersome.  I don't like her batting her eyes trying to play the coy ingenue.  Is she better than some former cohosts?  Yes.  But honestly that isn't a high bar to meet.

• Like 5

As posters above have mentioned:  Sunny & her Jealousy:  Sheesh!  Does she think its "Cute" to act this way?!  Meanwhile, Manny must be a gem for putting up with her Jealousy and he was in the basement fixing the furnace!  Manny: Jack of all Trades: Heart Surgeon & Furnace Repairman!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Sunny & her Jealousy:  Sheesh!  Does she think its "Cute" to act this way?!

Personally, I think (or she thinks) she is playing a part (as in an actor’s role.) Not necessarily “cute” but more like maybe exaggeration or borderline-hyperbole, and maybe cute too. Idk. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Joy, crate your dog. 🙄

She needs a large, indoor, wire pet enclosure, which would provide plenty of space for Bernie to roam and less feeling of entrapment, since he can see the room. Doesn’t solve, but at least contains, his latent poop problem.  Throw down a few pottypads and hope for the best.

3 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

But most of us are not on a daytime tv show that discusses these things & she is. I think it's another way of her saying that she's better than the viewers because she doesn't watch normal or popular stuff in the same way that she loves to wear designer clothing with the name printed all over it just to show that she has more money than the majority of the viewers.

True; having a job like hers would seem to require that you keep yourself well-informed about a number of things, not just politics. Being well-rounded would include at least knowing something about things that you may not normally know or seek out. Also, there are people who proudly say that they don't watch any TV or few movies because they "read". That is supposed to make them seem better or smarter than regular people who do those things. I've run across those snobs most of my life. In your personal life, read / don't read, watch TV / don't watch TV - what you do is immaterial to me, although it may make it tougher for us to find common topics of conversation. As part of your job, though, you really should make more of an effort to be culturally literate enough to not embarrass yourself. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

As part of your job, though, you really should make more of an effort to be culturally literate enough to not embarrass yourself. 

I remember when Sherri first started as a permanent co host she talked about having to wait to get her cable hooked up. She said she told them they needed to hurry up because it was her job to watch TV. She wasn't wrong.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, flummoxd said:

I do think that's what she's doing to an extent.   I've noticed she'll sometimes follow with examples of similar movies/tv shows, etc that have more multicultural casts.  And generally the rest of the cast (sans Whoopi usually) know little about it.     The discomfort people feel over this, is the same discomfort Sunny and others like her feel when those "mainstream/non-minority culture" topics are discussed.   I do think she's making a conscious effort to point out what is considered "mainstream" for some is not for a significant number of other similar people.    

Edited by After7Only
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Didn’t Nicolle Wallace’s lack of knowledge about the Kardasians and other random  topics other than politics cost her her job?

Nicolle Wallace had very little knowledge of pop culture at all.   Her career was politics and that was mostly her focus.   SHSNBN had a similar limited knowledge of pop culture outside of the Housewives.    Sunny actually has a pretty broad knowledge on a lot of topics, including pop culture.  Maybe some are so used to her being a know it all, it sticks out when she admits to being ignorant of something 🙂   

• Like 1
  • Wink 1

I’m so over Sara’s would-be, evenhanded approach, such as her support today for Mitch McConnell’s desire to move on past the Jan 6 insurrection.  Hell to the no!  Justice requires that we get to the bottom of this undemocratic violence and hold all the guilty fully accountable.

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

Nicolle Wallace had very little knowledge of pop culture at all.   Her career was politics and that was mostly her focus.   SHSNBN had a similar limited knowledge of pop culture outside of the Housewives.    Sunny actually has a pretty broad knowledge on a lot of topics, including pop culture.  Maybe some are so used to her being a know it all, it sticks out when she admits to being ignorant of something 🙂   

14 minutes ago, Patricia Coleman said:

Nicolle Wallace had very little knowledge of pop culture at all. 

BronzeDog wrote...2 hours ago, but it won't "quote" here:    Didn’t Nicolle Wallace’s lack of knowledge about the Kardasians and other random  topics other than politics cost her her job?

My comment:   It DID cost her the job ... and she moved into something so much better.  Well...better for MSNBC, better for her, and better for me.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 6
  • Applause 3
3 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Didn’t Nicolle Wallace’s lack of knowledge about the Kardasians and other random  topics other than politics cost her her job?

Best thing that ever happened to her.

Great minds, @Back Atcha

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2