Type keyword(s) to search

The View:Week of 2/20/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

On 2/20/2023 at 9:15 AM, geekburger said:

Sunny coyly sipping on her mug this morning is so frustrating.

I've been tired too long of that pretentious little pose--actually, BIG pose.  I wonder if she has a select list of "friends" she's notifying through that sad little code. 

On 2/20/2023 at 9:15 AM, geekburger said:

And sorry Whoopi, but AI, texting and modern day tech issues ARE here and ARE a problem. You can be of a certain age and still understand but hearings have shown many aren’t willing to wrap their heads around it like Alyssa said.

It’s reflective in the makeup of the table. How many topics do we get that are misunderstood or dismissed because of the demographic of the current panel?

I'm impressed at how well Alyssa takes Whoopi's ignorant/ridiculous/unfair smackdowns...just biding her time...biding. her. time.  She's one smart cookie!  I'm not a Democrat and definitely not a Republican, but I think choosing Alyssa is a move I didn't think anyone affiliated with The View was smart enough to make.

I'm two years older than Joy (one sister was her age...the next, two years younger); we have children, grandchildren--younger friends to keep us on the straight and narrow as far as technology, culture, etc. Honor your younger associates!  Joy is usually with it on a lot of things, so I'm surprised when she fell into the CURSIVE lane.  She actually asked HOW someone could write a check?  (1) One can print everything required on a paper check.  (2) As for a signature, has she SEEN signatures aka autographs that look nothing like "pemnanship" or the letters in a human's name. (3) As it was brought up on the show...few checks are written these days.  Cursive can be considered an art...a selective art--but nothing that is required for one's education.

Joy, as long as you can READ what someone has written using a writing implement and scrap of paper, consider it good enough.  How many things like that do YOU PERSONALLY need to read?  Go with the flow; consider the horrible penmanship of those students you taught and breathe a sigh of relief.

• Sad 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

s it was brought up on the show...few checks are written these days.  Cursive can be considered an art...a selective art--but nothing that is required for one's education.

Sigh. For all the attention cursive writing gets now, it might as well be calligraphy!  Probably more people practice calligraphy than cursive. I have terrible handwriting (my worst mark in second grade) but it is sad to hear it is becoming obsolete. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I'm impressed at how well Alyssa takes Whoopi's ignorant/ridiculous/unfair smackdowns...just biding her time...biding. her. time. 

Sunny's been biding her time with those for years now, too. Nothing has happened.....

I was surprised when I posted last night that there were no comments about yesterday's show at all. Now I check here, and there's like 20 comments in one day. So, I mean... Sunny is doing her job, I guess, lol.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

My comment:   It DID cost her the job ... and she moved into something so much better.  Well...better for MSNBC, better for her, and better for me.

Better for The View, too. Nicolle and Whoopi were awful together.

9 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

When Sunny first started on the View I wasn't watching. I had taken a break when Joy was let go and hadn't come back yet.  I can remember reading here on days Sunny wasn't there posters would say where is Sunny.  I don't remember who the other cohosts were but apparently Sunny was needed to refute whatever nonsense they were saying.

Personally, I still said that a week ago when Sunny was conspicuously absent and Ana was there instead. It's Sara that makes me groan when I see her come out these days... Well, I mean, Whoopi, too, but I've felt that way towards Whoopi for close to a decade now, whereas my dislike of Sara is more recent.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, After7Only said:

I do think that's what she's doing to an extent.   I've noticed she'll sometimes follow with examples of similar movies/tv shows, etc that have more multicultural casts.  And generally the rest of the cast (sans Whoopi usually) know little about it.     The discomfort people feel over this, is the same discomfort Sunny and others like her feel when those "mainstream/non-minority culture" topics are discussed.   I do think she's making a conscious effort to point out what is considered "mainstream" for some is not for a significant number of other similar people.    

Thank you for saying this.  This board won't get what you are saying because the default is always White in entertainment and on the screen so it is normal for them. However when your skin is naturally darkened by the sun with a horrific past like ours that still burdens us till this day, you want to see people who look like you on the screen as well.  That is why the Cosby Show was so popular in the Black community in the 80's.  This is why representation is so important because when you can see it you can achieve it..

• Love 5

Pearson80, please don’t generalize  -  while I, as a white person, can only try to understand your perspective, I do “get it” sufficiently to have referenced the topic of the need for diversity in entertainment about 12 hours ago.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Shut up, Alyssa. Biden could personally shovel all the contaminated soil and water for the next month and the people in that town won’t vote for him. And showing up to toss them a few bottles of branded water isn’t a good photo opp. Sunny is right that it’s insulting.

And Sunny is back to justifying her jealousy. 🙄

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Shut up, Alyssa. Biden could personally shovel all the contaminated soil and water for the next month and the people in that town won’t vote for him.

I live in a neighboring state not all that far from East Palestine.  That county and neighboring counties still have lots of Trump signs and flags up.  If that train derailment had happened in Cleveland I doubt Trump would have made a visit.  

• Like 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Shut up, Alyssa. Biden could personally shovel all the contaminated soil and water for the next month and the people in that town won’t vote for him. And showing up to toss them a few bottles of branded water isn’t a good photo opp. Sunny is right that it’s insulting.

Especially when it was basically just using it as an excuse to plug HIS brand of water. 🙄

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Biden could personally shovel all the contaminated soil and water for the next month and the people in that town won’t vote for him.

That may be true, but ideally, the visit should be to show the citizens some compassion and help, not collect potential votes. Sadly, it seems that getting votes and personal aggrandizement is the main reason politicians show up. 

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

And Sunny is back to justifying her jealousy.

Not only justifying...but GLORIFYING!  And...bringing her well respected PROFESSIONAL husband into her idiocy on national TV can't be a good thing.  Sunny is All About Sunny.

Isn't there some well known psychologist who has a new bestseller on JEALOUSY and wants to be on The View?  Sunny should get the assignment to read the book and interview the writer.  She'll NEVER have the oft-recommended therapy.

Edited by Back Atcha

Today's show (Thursday)...Another Day Without Whoopi was enjoyable. There was give and take. There was compassion. There was humor and FUN. The Ladies of The View disagreed in a friendly manner. There was no one LOUDLY interrupting, "Here's the Thing!" to whoopsplain what we already knew or wholeheartedly disagree with. Joy is a smart, witty, practiced and excellent moderator!

More JOY!  

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

This board won't get what you are saying because the default is always White in entertainment and on the screen so it is normal for them.

15 hours ago, flummoxd said:

Pearson80, please don’t generalize  -  while I, as a white person, can only try to understand your perspective, I do “get it” sufficiently to have referenced the topic of the need for diversity in entertainment about 12 hours ago.

Thank you, flummoxd.  I'm glad I read your response before creating my own...(my bolding)  

• Like 1

I don't get why they keep up with the charade that Whoopi's sick when we know she probably just wanted a week off because of the holiday on Monday. I mean, I surely will not complain about her desire for a break... ;)  Then again, Sara sounded a little under the weather today, perhaps Whoopi actually did pick up something that went around the studio?

Personally, I think four has always been better, it was four all the time back in the old days (with Barbara being out most of the time). If only we could've had Ana in place of one of Sara / Alyssa instead, it would've been perfect.

On 2/22/2023 at 4:09 PM, Glitches said:

Personally, I think (or she thinks) she is playing a part (as in an actor’s role.) Not necessarily “cute” but more like maybe exaggeration or borderline-hyperbole, and maybe cute too. Idk. 

I believe that Sunny is playing up the Jealous Wife thing because it's her bit; she thinks it's funny/entertaining/cute to act like that. (It also has the side benefit of showing the world that her husband is The Most Desirable Man Ever.) Remember when Whoopi's bit was coming out from backstage to steal food during a cooking segment? From EGOT to Hamburglar in one easy step!

I wonder if the Powers That Be encourage this kind of nonsense. These are also the people who think devoting entire segments to advice columns and Reddit posts are good ideas.

23 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

It's Sara that makes me groan when I see her come out these days

I used to really like Sara, but she bends over backwards just to be mediocre.

• Like 6
12 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Today's show (Thursday)...Another Day Without Whoopi was enjoyable. There was give and take. There was compassion. There was humor and FUN. The Ladies of The View disagreed in a friendly manner. There was no one LOUDLY interrupting, "Here's the Thing!" to whoopsplain what we already knew or wholeheartedly disagree with. Joy is a smart, witty, practiced and excellent moderator!

More JOY!  

I couldn't agree more!! Adding that we finally get to hear all the fun topics that Whoopi refuses to moderate (much less talk about) without rolling her eyes and shutting it down. I HATE when Whoopi does that just because SHE doesn't like a particular topic. What about your audience Whoopi?  Don't you care about us? All that power is making you unlikeable.

Anyway, I hope she's out the rest of the week. More Joy and a fun-filled panel who can be as silly as they are serious, and still keep the conversation fun/interesting. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

More JOY!  

Alas, not everyone agrees.  I watched Faux intermittently Thursday, in search of the Murdaugh trial, and at one point encountered the squashed pumpkin head of Plagiarisin’ Ben Domenech McCain railing against Joy, describing her as an 80 year old harpy.  And yet she persists. Keep it up, Ms Behar!

• Like 2
  • Love 6

Guess the Domeneches won't be getting a congratulations lasagna for their new daughter.

I like Joy, but sometimes she gets on my nerves with her outdated references and jokes.  It can be annoying that she can't find cultural points less than 50yo.  (Just my opinion.)  I do agree she keeps the conversation lighter as moderator, rather than shutting down anyone with whom she disagrees.

11 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

These are also the people who think devoting entire segments to advice columns and Reddit posts are good ideas.

Good God, no.  I zone out as soon as they start these silly conversations.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

These are also the people who think devoting entire segments to advice columns and Reddit posts are good ideas.

I don't know why they keep having these topics.  There is so much going on and this is what they waste time on? Do they still have that 3 am guy?  The one who's job it was to scan the news and pull what topics they will discuss. I liked when Meredith was moderator and she would pick up a newspaper and they would talk about whatever was on the front page.  Sunny has said more than once they talk about hot topics in the meeting before the show.  So that means they must know what each other is going to say.  And the reason for that would be?  To ensure nobody says anything that is going to offend another cohost or the audience?  To ensure someone will say something to "cause sparks"? 

I believe that Sunny is playing up the Jealous Wife thing because it's her bit; she thinks it's funny/entertaining/cute to act like that. (It also has the side benefit of showing the world that her husband is The Most Desirable Man Ever.)

It might be a bit (although I think it's real) but it's not funny and not a good look for Sunny.

I used to really like Sara, but she bends over backwards just to be mediocre.

Either she is choosing or someone is telling her to be the other side person.  Even when it's pretty obvious there really isn't another side to defend she tries to.  

4 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

What about your audience Whoopi?  Don't you care about us? All that power is making you unlikeable.

Whoopi cares about her paycheck.  That is it. She doesn't care if they put on a good show. She gets paid regardless. 

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I like Joy, but sometimes she gets on my nerves with her outdated references and jokes. 

That doesn't bother me.  It would bother me more if she tried to be hipper.  You know make jokes about more current things that she knows nothing about.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I like Joy, but sometimes she gets on my nerves with her outdated references and jokes. 

53 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

That doesn't bother me.  It would bother me more if she tried to be hipper. 

I agree, I'd rather listen to the old inferences (I always get them, by the way), than listen to Joy refer to Tik Tok and influencers.  At least she's being authentic.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I don't know why they keep having these topics.  There is so much going on and this is what they waste time on? Do they still have that 3 am guy?  The one who's job it was to scan the news and pull what topics they will discuss. I liked when Meredith was moderator and she would pick up a newspaper and they would talk about whatever was on the front page.  Sunny has said more than once they talk about hot topics in the meeting before the show.  So that means they must know what each other is going to say.  And the reason for that would be?  To ensure nobody says anything that is going to offend another cohost or the audience?  To ensure someone will say something to "cause sparks"? 

If I'm being cynical, I'd say that the meeting is to be sure that they are all (sort of) on the same page about it. It sometimes seems a bit like an echo chamber when everyone agrees that person X is horrible, or person Y can do no wrong and agree on what the solution to a particular problem should be.

Being slightly less cynical, I think it might be to be sure that everyone is briefed on at least the basic details of the topics, so we don't have to watch half the table sit there with nothing to say.

If I'm being generous, I think that the review is just to be sure that the timing of the show works out, without one topic taking too much time. Also, to ensure that there's a mix of subjects and levels of seriousness so the show isn't too one-note.

• Like 1

Sunny's jealous behavior schtick - To be a bit contrarian, I wonder if anyone asks Sunny what she would think if a husband did these things because he was jealous of his wife. Some of those behaviors come across as standard red flags for abusive, or at least dysfunctional, relationships. 

I don't think Manny necessarily is ok with this stuff, either, because after Sunny questioned the macaron gift from the dentist's mother, Manny asked her how she felt about that. This is speculation on my part, but a question like that seems like a person is kind of fed up with the other person. The "expected" answer is "embarrassed" or "foolish", but instead, Sunny says she felt good about it. 

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I’m not sure I ever saw Billy Crudup interviewed before. He’s fun and charming. 

Any time I see Billy Crudup I think about how he left his long time girlfriend Mary Louise Parker who was seven months pregnant to be with Claire Danes.  

1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

Sunny's jealous behavior schtick - To be a bit contrarian, I wonder if anyone asks Sunny what she would think if a husband did these things because he was jealous of his wife. Some of those behaviors come across as standard red flags for abusive, or at least dysfunctional, relationships. 

If Sunny had a female friend who came to her and described her husband's behavior as the behavior Sunny exhibits I would bet money Sunny would tell her to leave him.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Any time I see Billy Crudup I think about how he left his long time girlfriend Mary Louise Parker who was seven months pregnant to be with Claire Danes. 

I forgot about that.  She left HIM for Hugh Dancy (meeting while working together).

• Wink 1
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I don't think Manny necessarily is ok with this stuff, either, because after Sunny questioned the macaron gift from the dentist's mother, Manny asked her how she felt about that. This is speculation on my part, but a question like that seems like a person is kind of fed up with the other person. The "expected" answer is "embarrassed" or "foolish", but instead, Sunny says she felt good about it. 

Appalling!  I believe she did feel good about it. SURELY, Manny tired of her crap long ago.  I bet Sunny uses all kinds of dangerous threats when arguments come up on this topic.  I don't consider her a likeable human and I feel sorry for her husband and her children.

On 2/22/2023 at 2:09 PM, Glitches said:
On 2/22/2023 at 12:56 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

Sunny & her Jealousy:  Sheesh!  Does she think its "Cute" to act this way?!

Personally, I think (or she thinks) she is playing a part (as in an actor’s role.) Not necessarily “cute” but more like maybe exaggeration or borderline-hyperbole, and maybe cute too. Idk. 

It's definitely not cute.  Not sure if she's playing a part, but I DO THINK she's been taking acting lessons for quite some time--hoping to be a movie star (I'm sure she believes she has the talent, experience, NAME--and maybe money for producer credit).  Her various little poses are irritating...but her coach is probably very impressed.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

Guess the Domeneches won't be getting a congratulations lasagna for their new daughter.

Mr. and Mrs. Domeneche both look like they’ve had enough lasagna to last a lifetime. 

• LOL 8
59 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Appalling!  I believe she did feel good about it. SURELY, Manny tired of her crap long ago.  I bet Sunny uses all kinds of dangerous threats when arguments come up on this topic.  I don't consider her a likeable human and I feel sorry for her husband and her children.

They've been married going on 25 years so, I'm thinking he's fine with it.  I also think the "jealousy" thing in their home, plays like she portrays it on the show, as a joke.  She's not running around yelling and angry over some macaroons.  It's more of a joking/teasing thing between she and her family.      

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

That was my first thought of him too. It seems so insensitive, even if you think you've found "true love". Tom Brady did the same thing, although he married Gisele and they stayed together for over a decade. Doesn't make it right, but at least not just a fling. Anyway, I wondered when Billy was talking about his father today, how much of his dad's influence impacted his decisions, like that one. He's a good actor and entertaining interviewee, so I hope he's matured since then. 

• Like 1

Personally, I enjoy the show when Joy's there even if they're talking about fluff and nonsense, as long as they at least have one serious topic at the beginning of the show, but I miss when they would end up covering most stories out there.

I could tell Ana was sort of disinterested with most of the topics today though and felt like they were a waste of her time. Don't really blame her for feeling that way, and it doesn't bother me since she still let everybody else talk.

• Like 3

Asunción may be a jealous biatch (I don’t think it’s entirely a fake persona)  but of her love and concern for Gabe there can be no doubt.  My heart aches for her (and other POCs) when she speaks of her constant worry about her son’s safety ( I know she adores notGabe, too, but girls are a little less targeted.)

Does anyone know where or why Sunny is buying a new house?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 2/23/2023 at 11:30 AM, bluegirl147 said:

I live in a neighboring state not all that far from East Palestine.  That county and neighboring counties still have lots of Trump signs and flags up.  If that train derailment had happened in Cleveland I doubt Trump would have made a visit.  

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, After7Only said:

I also think the "jealousy" thing in their home, plays like she portrays it on the show, as a joke.  She's not running around yelling and angry over some macaroons.  It's more of a joking/teasing thing between she and her family.      

Hmmm...I wonder if yours is a minority opinion.  I don't think Sunny is a good enough actress--definitely no comedian--to pull that off for the viewers.  I think she has a type of jealousy that cannot be controlled, and it's probably been like that all her life.

7 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Hmmm...I wonder if yours is a minority opinion.  I don't think Sunny is a good enough actress--definitely no comedian--to pull that off for the viewers.  I think she has a type of jealousy that cannot be controlled, and it's probably been like that all her life.

And yet Manny is still there and either accepts it, they fight about it, maybe he likes it?  Anything in between.  She does her jealousy thing and he is still with her.  Maybe she says "I'm going to to be jealous on TV" and he thinks, "oh okay, I'm going to work".

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

And yet Manny is still there and either accepts it, they fight about it, maybe he likes it?  Anything in between.  She does her jealousy thing and he is still with her.  Maybe she says "I'm going to to be jealous on TV" and he thinks, "oh okay, I'm going to work".

I like this...but let's break this down.    And yet Manny is still there and either accepts it, they fight about it, maybe he likes it?

Maybe it happens less frequently than she brings it up.  Seems like we've heard most stories before.  The Macaron/Dentist is a new one.

Maybe she says "I'm going to to be jealous on TV" and he thinks, "oh okay, I'm going to work".

Maybe he doesn't even hear it anymore ... until he gets to work and hears it from colleagues.  THAT's where he will finally have had enough.  Just how long will it take?

Someone needs to really impress on her (Joy has tried) that it's NOT CUTE.  It's NOT PRETTY.  It's NOT HEALTHY for her or family members.

• Like 1