Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Valentine's Day

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

But they're not at a lot of airports & airport security barriers & configuration changed a lot after 9/11 in this country. The more modern the airport the more likely it is to have both before & after security amenities and if it has several terminals each one might be laid out differently. Older US airports were never built to have security like today for domestic flights.

Just have to say that Barbara would have been flying out of Philly International Airport and it does not have any dining options before you get through security, so yes she would need to buy a ticket.

Really cute episode, I agree it was a good use of Ava. I also loved Donnie's new girlfriend giving Janine the "I'm watching you" look when Donnie asked for his valentine back.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
22 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Yes, but would anyone actually do that or was it just a bit of comedy? Because these days getting past airport security is not a trivial thing.

It's been ages since I've flown, but are there fancy restaurants at airports suitable for a romantic Valentine's Day date? I only see Sbarro's and Auntie Anne's Pretzels. 

Anyway, what a delightful episode. When Janine had her phone call with her sister, I expected her sister to be obnoxious, but she turned out to be very pleasant. Hmm, what's up with that?

Mo and Gregory both bought perfectly wonderful gifts, but for the wrong women. Amber seems like a total fashionista so you know she'd be all about the Telfar bag. Janine is where fashion goes to die, but she'd love to put together a Lego's bouquet. 

Now Janine knows Gregory is all woodgie-coo for her. I don't doubt she has some feelings for him. If Gregory and Janine are end game please don't have it dragged out and make them a solid true blue couple. Do not Ross and Rachel them please.

Guy is a sweetie and I loved how creative he was with Melissa's "I Love You" message. He's a keeper, Melissa.

But I think my favorite part was showing Jacob excelling at his job and implementing black history every day into his students' lessons. It would be so easy to write him off as a clueless woke white guy, but the writing team is too good for that. And color me shocked that Ava learned to appreciate Jacob and now wants to get the credentials she needs. Could this be growth? 

There are many reasons why I love "Abbott Elementary," but the positive portrayal of teachers and education is a big one.

• Like 14
19 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

It's been ages since I've flown, but are there fancy restaurants at airports suitable for a romantic Valentine's Day date? I only see Sbarro's and Auntie Anne's Pretzels. 

It depends on the airport, and I cannot speak to Philly's since I've never been there. But there are definitely airports in the U.S. with very nice dining options, such as steakhouses and wine bars. As you might expect, the odds are better at bigger airports that include international flights and where it's not unusual for people to be there for hours waiting on flights.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

It depends on the airport, and I cannot speak to Philly's since I've never been there. But there are definitely airports in the U.S. with very nice dining options, such as steakhouses and wine bars. As you might expect, the odds are better at bigger airports that include international flights and where it's not unusual for people to be there for hours waiting on flights.

I recently had a very long layover in Detroit for a work trip due to a missed connection. I ended up at an Italian place that was actually quite good. A bit over priced because it’s an airport, but I could expense it so I didn’t care.  

• Like 1
On 2/13/2023 at 2:08 PM, Bookish Jen said:

If someone took me on a valentine's date to Auntie Anne's I'd know it was meant to be! Airport dining would actually be the only reason I'd purchase tickets on Spirit, so I'm glad that Barbara was able to figure out that hack to still have a special date with her hubby.

• Like 1
  • LOL 10

As someone who has been to Philly's airport many MANY times, I can confirm that there are sit down restaurants but unless I'm actually catching a flight, I'm not trekking down there to eat at them. And no, Mr. Johnson, Chickie's & Pete's does NOT have the best lobster roll in Philly. 

At the end of the episode, I kept hoping that Gary would tell Melissa that he made a reservation somewhere so that Melissa could give her Barclay Prime reservation to Barbara. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I live in Milwaukee, and the closest airport is Mitchell Field, which is hardly major like O'Hare or JFK.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

I live in Milwaukee, and the closest airport is Mitchell Field, which is hardly major like O'Hare or JFK.

Ugh, yeah MKE has like a Chili’s to Go, and that’s about as nice as it gets there. I actually love airport people watching so having a layover and a nice meal is part of the experience for me. my layover in Detroit was such a let down, everyone was quiet and kept to themselves. I’m sure the Philly airport wouldn’t disappoint! Barbara would have seen some things!

I keep hearing Sandra from Superstore in my head “He didn’t know that she knows, and now he knows” after this episode. Janine and Gregory are cute, just get it done already. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Like 5

JFK airport has the newly renovated TWA building, which has a fancy restaurant and hotel.  It's a famous landmark from the 60s.  I've been planning to go there.   It's outside the terminals and security.  It would be considered quite romantic. 

As to Ava, I understood that maybe she had a bachelor's degree but not some advanced credential for being a principal. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 6
13 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

As to Ava, I understood that maybe she had a bachelor's degree but not some advanced credential for being a principal. 

We know she was in a sorority in college and I agree that she likely graduated. She may lack teaching credentials, though. It doesn't seem like she ever was a student-teacher, or assisted in a classroom.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 1

I didn't like the cold open with Janine and her sister. Janine was mean and out of character for me. This show doesn't write Janine consistently for me, and she seems to be a dumping ground for tragedy sometimes, which fires me up since Janine is a very sweet person.

Other than that, I thought this episode was fantastic. Jacob and Zach have such great chemistry and were my favorite story line of this episode including Ava realizing she wants to go back to school.

I'm glad this show chose the "you can like two people" route with Janine and Gregory instead of the tired old comedy tropes.

This show has improved up on The Office style camera work by allowing ALL the characters to give looks to camera (teachers, kids, and visitors). The casting in the show is SO good even for the one off characters.

• Like 4

I just realized the double entendre with this episode being Season 2, Episode 14 and being titled Valentine's Day which falls on 02/14.    Good one, show!  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Applause 1
On 2/9/2023 at 8:37 AM, DearEvette said:

Aww... What a cute episode.  The ending tag with Melissa and Guy (and Barbara) was the perfect way to end it.

Even though there is a 'will they won't they' with Janine and Gregory it is moving apace.  It isn't being tooo dragged out although it may seem that way.  The fact that their liking each other is being spoken out loud by, everyone, is a big progression in that trope.

The Jacob/Ava subplot was great.  I liked how it hit on both sides.  It was a great showcase for Ava advocating for a teacher and opening her eyes.  And then on the other side we see Jacob being really competent in his class and his students engaged.  Also I loved the pointed comment Ava made about Jacob teaching black history ALL the time not just February.  Mr. Umbrage took note of his own shortcomings there.  I also liked his son looking into the camera acknowledging that his dad was wrong.

Ok, so Donnie.  OMG,  another great kid on this show.  He looked at the camera when he said 'I need a WOMAN!' and he said it with his whole chest. He played his little story arc perfectly.

Liked the shout out of Telfar and the fact that is it is a black owned company.  I am not a luxury bag person these days, although when I was in college in the late 80s my boyfriend at the time took me to Macys and let me pick out a Gucci drawstring bucket bag I had been salivating over for months.  I still have it on a closet shelf somewhere.

The contrasts between Mo/Janine and Gregory/Amber couldn't have been more pointed.  Both guys gave really thoughtful, expensive gifts.  They just didn't match the woman they gave it to.  Mo really is Amber's type -- he is tuned into the hype stuff -- he immediately knew what type of nails she had, for instance.  Gregory and Janine are quiet nerds.  They will never have that level of cool awareness Mo and Amber have.

Ava and Zach.  They really are good foils.  Great scene.

I know the actor who played Tristan from work (used to perform in my venue and coming back in October!)!  He is super cute.  I was very excited when I saw him pop up on the show!  I was yelling at my husband I KNOW HIM!!!!

• Like 2
  • Useful 2