Type keyword(s) to search

Site Updated Again Open Thread

meep.meep

This may be a feature, but it seems like a bug to me.  On a PC, Windows 10, Edge browser

When I go to the next page in a forum, it moves to the top of the next page, then grays out everything and scrolls to the bottom of that page, then makes it active again.  Unfortunately the bottom of the page is where all the disgusting ads live.

Is it supposed to work like this?  I want to go to the top of the next page, not the bottom.  If I was on a mobile device it would result in much scrolling to get up to the top.

Commence to jigglin' and so forth in my direction. I'm mostly out for the night but will be on-site and engaged February 7th, 2023 which coincidentally occurs in under two hours my-time, although I should inform you I will not actually be "here" until I wake up and drink my strange rocket fuel.

• Like 2

About an hour ago, right before the site went down, I tried to do a multi-quote in the Counting On (The Other Duggars) thread and now, the button that says 'Quote 3 Posts' is frozen.  I tried moving the page to the top and I also tried x'ing it out and it doesn't work.  I no longer want to do the quote.  I just want to "x" it out.  I found a thread for a similar problem, but it didn't help.  No rush to do this.  Just whenever you can get to it.  Thanks.

I see there has been another update! Seems the font sizes are on the fritz at the moment. (Click to change size and nothing happens on the main page, although, if you go to any given forum, it will show there...)

Two things related to font size:

• The font on the home page is really small and doesn't adjust with the font size setting
  • The text in threads keeps defaulting to Normal and I have to change it back every new page. Note that when I click to adjust, the font size I chose is still selected, but it's actually Normal. I have to reselect my preferred size.

The view is so squishy! I was getting used to the layout from the previous update but now all the topics are mushed together again. I hope the topics will eventually be grouped and separated alphabetically like they were before.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I prefer to navigate the site from the index page that lists drama, comedy, etc. When I use the buttons to move back out of the category I get taken to the home page. I prefer to browse through the shows in the index vs listing everything on my home page. 

• Like 2

Just in case this is helpful info--
The reaction icon place holder is showing up so pale as to be difficult to see on these platforms and browsers:

• very recently updated (too recently for you to have tested?) iPhone 7 Plus (iOS 15.7.3)
    • Safari and Chrome
  • very recently updated (too recently for you to have tested?) Windows 11 (2023-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5022360))
    • Chrome and Edge

image.png.353d2a582466a499db378902e89b5aca.png

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Font size stuff should be fixed. Both the setting sticking and on the front index page. I'd explain why the font size picker didn't work but that would mean I was able to and logically that isn't possible as any explanation I can come up with breaks most standard logic other than "the hosted service is working in an illogical manner". 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

The little tag to show how many people are in a forum or topic needs a little tweaking.  Right now it reads something like "5 other users is also here" and the lack of subject verb agreement is like nails on a chalkboard.

If you don't want to mess with trying to detect singular/plural to use the right form of the verb, you could get close by just leaving the verb out and saying "X users also here"   "1 users also here" isn't great, but it isn't as bad as what is there now. 

Could also do something like "Other users here: X"

• Applause 1

This is pedantic, I know, but that "is also here" doesn't change to "are also here" when it's more than one additional user is annoying.  (If there's one other person reading the thread, there's a thing at the top of the page that says "1 other user is also here", and if there are 2 it says "2 other users is also here" -- it changes "user" to "users", but doesn't change "is" to "are".  Since the former happens, I can't see any reason the latter can't also happen in order to be grammatically correct.) 

Update:  Just as I was getting ready to post, someone raised the same issue.

(I have no idea why anyone would want to know other people were reading a thread at the same time to begin with, but since it doesn't say who those other users are, at least it doesn't feel creepy.)

Also, I hate the vertical columns of alphabetization on the customized home page even more now that there aren't even sections for each letter.  It's an illogical mess that makes scrolling to a particular title take much longer than it used to when titles were alphabetized horizontally within each letter section.  Granted, we're still talking seconds, so it's hardly the end of the world, but I think it was an ill-advised change.  And I note that if I go to All Shows instead my customized home page, they're still listed left to right instead of being switched to up to down.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 12
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, peppergal said:

The little tag to show how many people are in a forum or topic needs a little tweaking.

Literally out of my hands. That's all handled up-stream with the software provider on their hosted platform (and not available to people who self-host with the software so I couldn't look at the code even if I wanted to).

I imagine someone has already reported such to them in the past so :shrug:, eventually it will be dealt with I imagine.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Update:  Just as I was getting ready to post, someone raised the same issue.

✔️

22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Also, I hate the vertical columns of alphabetization on the customized home page even more now that there aren't even sections for each letter.

??? Everything is now matching. On the home page. Everything is a clickable box, everything is left to right, one level. Unless you are seeing something else? Note the Shows *INDEX* still needs a sweep but that's a separate thing from the home page My Shows and All Shows stuff. If you were talking about the former, absolutely noted.

7 minutes ago, CrazyTrain said:

It's all one huge confusing mass of words now.

It's your shows in alphabetical order left to right.

It is now left to right; it had been up and down.

But the sections are still missing; there's no A, then B, etc., it's just one big list.  They read in the right direction now, so that's an improvement, but the old way of having sections divided by letter made scrolling to find a particular forum/thread much quicker.

This is what it looks like.  Back before the update, it was organized left to right like this, but with headings for each letter, creating distinct sections.  After the big update, the letter-heading sections remained, but the titles were listed vertically within them instead of horizontally.  Initially, after this second tweaking, they were still listed vertically and the letter headings were gone, so it was a mess.  Now, they are listed left to right, so that's back to normal, but there are still no letter headings; it's just one continuous list.

customized home page.png

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The reaction icon place holder is showing up so pale

Thanks. Patched. EDIT: And uploaded here too.

24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

it's just one continuous list.

So, when this was worked up, this was asked about (for some values of people) and the letters were given a response of "meh" so they got yanked.

Now, for me, I'll freely admit I'm struggling to see this as a problem. But if the hew and cry is such that people gotta have it, I can, like font size, full width, etc., option this out on a per-user basis. Will take a small measure of time (other stuff will go come first)

28 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Do you want us to repeat things we already mentioned in the original site update thread? Or are those already being worked on?

Nah, I'll give that topic another once over - no need to repeat.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
13 minutes ago, AllAstronauts said:

Now, for me, I'll freely admit I'm struggling to see this as a problem.

It's not particularly a problem, but it is something that is fractionally but unnecessarily and for no discernible reason more time-consuming than it used to be.  If I'm looking for an M show on my home page, it's faster to spot the stand-alone M and then locate the show within that neatly divided section than to find the show within an undivided sea of titles. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

an undivided sea of titles

How many shows do you follow? And leading off that, I'm wondering if maybe I should work up a stat block so everyone can see what the average, median, range of this is. I'm damnably curious now...

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, AllAstronauts said:

How many shows do you follow?

I have about 130 shows on my customized home page.  A great many of those are old shows whose threads have activity only sporadically, so the yellow new posts designation draws the eye; as I said, it's a fractional difference in the time taken to locate a title, it's just that I see no reason for taking that navigation aid away.  And when looking for a thread that isn't highlighted that way, it was even quicker to find when there were letter headings than it is now. 

It was also more visually appealing when the list was broken up, but I'm on a computer; maybe those looking at a tiny screen prefer everything jumbled together so more fits on the page.

So, yeah, this:

45 minutes ago, AllAstronauts said:

I can, like font size, full width, etc., option this out on a per-user basis. Will take a small measure of time (other stuff will go come first)

sounds good, thanks.

• Like 6
54 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I have about 130 shows on my customized home page.  A great many of those are old shows whose threads have activity only sporadically, so the yellow new posts designation draws the eye; as I said, it's a fractional difference in the time taken to locate a title, it's just that I see no reason for taking that navigation aid away.  And when looking for a thread that isn't highlighted that way, it was even quicker to find when there were letter headings than it is now. 

It was also more visually appealing when the list was broken up, but I'm on a computer; maybe those looking at a tiny screen prefer everything jumbled together so more fits on the page.

So, yeah, this:

sounds good, thanks.

I follow 106 shows-and I agree with everything Bastet said about the old layout! 😊

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

As of last night, I am seeing the main forum page 'unpacked' so that I have to scroll waaay too much to get to any section heading beyond the Drama section. I really liked having just the main section links (IIRC it was like 11 or so main headings) so it was easy to pop around the forum site. Now? Uch, it's a PITA to scroll so much to get to any section past Drama. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I'm seeing now. The last Forum Homenscreen used to have just the main section links so it was easy to navigate to various forum areas. Now I'm seeing Drama at the top, and it's unpacked so all the drama options are there and I have to scroll waaaay down to get to section areas like Pop Culture, etc. 

Is this a glitch? 

Screenshot_20230207-135902_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg

Edited by gingerella
4 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Is this a glitch? 

Nope, it is also the original way things were, where all the shows were available right on the home page, people complained that they wanted them back that way so here we are.

Notice the headings though (Drama, etc.) - the checkmark (if you see it) is for marking everything in that category as read - I think most people have picked up on that. 

However... look to the right of the header: see the angle down symbol? Click it. It will collapse/hide the entire category.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Also, I hate the vertical columns of alphabetization on the customized home page even more now that there aren't even sections for each letter.  It's an illogical mess that makes scrolling to a particular title take much longer than it used to when titles were alphabetized horizontally within each letter section.  Granted, we're still talking seconds, so it's hardly the end of the world, but I think it was an ill-advised change.  And I note that if I go to All Shows instead my customized home page, they're still listed left to right instead of being switched to up to down.

Totally agree with Bastet here!  Please fix it to be how it used to be!  Before the new changes. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I follow 92 shows myself and it's quite a wall of text if they aren't split up into alphabetical categories.

I'm happy to report that the hitboxes around topics have been fixed so you can now click anywhere in the box instead of having to click specifically on the letters. It's a small quality of life thing but appreciated nonetheless!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

For me, the "return to top" arrow sometimes disappears, and no amount of jiggle-scrolling and/or screen-clicking will make it appear.  So have to--oh the humanity!--laboriously scroll all the way back to the top of the page, manually.  So exhausting!  😆

This wasn't a big deal when the Primetimer header was always visible, because clicking on the forum button in the header always got me back to my home page from where ever I was, no exhausting scrolling required.  But now that the header isn't fixed at the top anymore, I don't have that workaround anymore.

Obviously not a big deal, but I am kind of curious where the "return to top" arrow goes when it is gone, and why it leaves.  Is it judging my taste in shows?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

it still goes to the very first post instead of the very first unread post.

Just to be sure, have you set your preferences for this in your account settings (first post, first new post, last post are the options).

1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Is it judging my taste in shows?

Probably? Is this desktop or mobile? On desktop, you have to scroll down a touch before it fades into view. Also this jump button ain't mine so if its a big problem I'll have to throw my own up (which takes a hot second).

18 minutes ago, AllAstronauts said:

Is this desktop or mobile?

When I had the issue today, I was on my (shhh) work laptop in an older version of Firefox.  Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had that issue when on my phone.

It seems to be completely random, I can't really pinpoint any standard circumstances (other than the laptop) where it happens consistently.

Just now, Salacious Kitty said:

But switching over to my tablet, the font size is as usual.

It's a per-device cookie, not per-account. So you'll need to use the font size thing at the bottom of the page on each device. If I had font-size as an account-based setting then people would have problems when they moved between PC, tablet, phone, etc...

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, AllAstronauts said:

How many shows do you follow? And leading off that, I'm wondering if maybe I should work up a stat block so everyone can see what the average, median, range of this is. I'm damnably curious now...

I'm having a hell of a time following or adding a show to my home page.

1 hour ago, AllAstronauts said:

It's a per-device cookie, not per-account. So you'll need to use the font size thing at the bottom of the page on each device. If I had font-size as an account-based setting then people would have problems when they moved between PC, tablet, phone, etc...

It was never an issue before this update. And not all the text is large, just the post text. 

8 hours ago, AllAstronauts said:

I imagine someone has already reported such to them in the past so :shrug:, eventually it will be dealt with I imagine.

Can you as a client report to them that some of your users are irritated by this crime against grammar, please?  It's ridiculous; as I noted, "user" changes to "users" when there are more than one, so I see no reason "is" can't change to "are" at the same time, but if they somehow didn't catch the error and everyone just assumes someone else has already told them about it, it will remain.  I'm working on teaching myself to ignore it, but it's blatant, and it bugs.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Please disregard my post above:

About an hour ago, right before the site went down, I tried to do a multi-quote in the Counting On (The Other Duggars) thread and now, the button that says 'Quote 3 Posts' is frozen.  I tried moving the page to the top and I also tried x'ing it out and it doesn't work.  I no longer want to do the quote.  I just want to "x" it out.  I found a thread for a similar problem, but it didn't help.  No rush to do this.  Just whenever you can get to it.  Thanks.

Tonight, I was able to 'x' out the 'Quote 3 Posts' box, and so all is well.

21 hours ago, AllAstronauts said:

Nope, it is also the original way things were, where all the shows were available right on the home page, people complained that they wanted them back that way so here we are.

Thank you so much! It is much clearer this way, IMO. And so far it seems that if I collapse a section, like Reality TV, that is stays collapsed the next time I go to the main page, which is great.