Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Trevor’s Body

Neptune
  • Start Topic

On 2/9/2023 at 9:26 PM, cdnalor said:

I only realised Esther was played by Laraine Newman when the credits rolled at the end.  Totally unrecognizable to me, even her voice didn't clue me in.

On 2/10/2023 at 12:40 PM, Browncoat said:

I did not recognize Laraine Newman at all.

Like Jennifer Grey, she had rhinoplasty many years ago.

Her daughter, Hannah Einbinder. costars on Hacks with Jean Smart.

On 2/10/2023 at 9:40 AM, nora1992 said:

It was a nails-on-chalkboard moment for me when Pete told Isaac about Jenkins “telling Thor and I” about Christmas Eve.  Grammar counts!

Although less-than-optimal grammar usage could be a character trait, I assume that in the case of Pete, the actor misspoke when saying his lines, and either no one present at the filming "heard" it, or it wasn't thought worthy of a reshoot. I don't know if the showrunner has the authority to ask the director to redo a scene for something like this.

On 2/10/2023 at 11:19 AM, iMonrey said:

And the whole friends homage to "we were on a respite" was hilarious too. 

I wonder how long the writers were waiting to use that line.

On 2/10/2023 at 1:53 PM, shura said:

She can be mean for no reason sometimes, like when she told Pete that she is a lady and her husband cheating on her is to be expected, but Pete’s thing is just weird and sad.

In this particular case, I don't think she was trying to be mean.  That's just how things were in her time. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 7

Since people were talking about Jay and that it would be nice if he could see the ghosts too I want to go on record to say I hope that NEVER ever happens except maybe the very last episode of the last season.

The whole show hinges on Jay NOT being able to see ghosts to me.  You totally ruin it if it becomes a "Jay's Fun with Ghosts" show.  I'd probably stop watching the show period if that happened.

Example.  No real spoiler per se so I think I can say the rudiment set-up here. One of the best of the British episodes involved Sam's equivalent being away over night and an inept duo of robbers breaking in to steal stuff and the ghosts running around trying to use their powers to wake up and communicate with Jay's equivalent and warn him there was a burglary going on.  It was so hilarious.

Can't do that if Jay's character just becomes basically a clone of Sam's character.  Which is what Jay would become if he could see ghosts.  He'd become just extra luggage.  Right now Jay's character is in a beautiful place for both the writers and the viewers.  You can do so much with the character at this point.  Never ever ruin that wonderful balance or the whole series could collapse.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Skooma said:

Can't do that if Jay's character just becomes basically a clone of Sam's character.  Which is what Jay would become if he could see ghosts. 

So true. If they both can see the Ghosts then what is the point of having both of them? They end up serving the same purpose storywise. The only way it works is if Sam suddenly can't see them and Jay can. You need one regular who does and one who doesn't. It also just makes Jay more amazing that he has built a relationship with ghosts he can't see or hear. Part of what I love about him is that he has this relationship, that there is this huge level of trust there. He trusts that they are there. He trusts that what Sam says they are saying/doing is true. 

I also love when the ghosts tried to tell him Sam was in the safe through their special ghost powers and Jay worked it out showing how much he knows them without technically having met them. 

I honestly think I like his relationship with them more than Sam's because he's overcome the hurdle of not seeing/hearing them. 

That said, I wouldn't mind if he had a one-off moment, like with his sister's friend who died for a second and could see them but then went back. I was hoping that happened when they fell through the floor at the end of last seasons, that for just a moment he'd get to see them just because he wants it so badly. But I do not want it to be a long term/permanent thing. It would throw off the balance of the show for me. 

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Like 6
On 2/12/2023 at 10:34 AM, Mabinogia said:

I can't imagine the show sucking Isaac off, but there is a very strong possibility that Nigel could get sucked off.

If Nigel did ascend, they could still have him visit Isaac from time to time.  I believe that souls who have moved on can still visit us, if they so choose, so Nigel could be gone, but still make an appearance.  It would be sad for Isaac because it wouldn't be the same, but it would still be something!   Nigel could tell Isaac and the other ghosts all about the afterworld!!  

• Like 3
7 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

But would the scene have to be reshot, or could the line be fixed by audio?

I blame The Bachelor for this.  When I watched it years ago, people talking about “X and I’s relationship” or “between X and I” were onscreen frequently. 

I’ve aged out of The Bachelor’s demographic, but I hope that good grammar will be appreciated one day.  Rather like vinyl records are coming back after CDs were so popular.

Edited by nora1992
Tried to restore missing quote
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

This episode was really good. I snort laughed at Nancy and her “get some strange” means unfamiliar genitals. 

I do think Issac’s “we have eternity” is a bit ominous for Nigel. But maybe Jenkins or some other minor ghost will get sucked off and Issac will stop with the baby steps. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

But the other bros would have had time to talk to PInkus before anybody knew Trevor was missing and told him to shut up about the whole thing.

That's the thing, we really have no idea what happened and what Pinkus knows. Hell he might even be dead by now. 

I find it hard to believe that PInkus told the cops that they were all at the Woodbridge Estate doing drugs and being stupid and Trevor didn't come back and the cops did  no investigating into the other dudes doing drugs.

This is a good point, which is why I think it's unlikely anyone ever told the police about them being at Woodstone. They'd be too scared the body would be found and they'd be under suspicion. Regardless of what Pinkus knows or doesn't know, there's no good way to explain the last time they saw Trevor was at Woodstone because at the very least they didn't even try to look for him if he just "disappeared." 

That said, it's weird that neither of Trevor's parents showed any curiosity about why his body was found there and what he was doing there.

She can be mean for no reason sometimes, like when she told Pete that she is a lady and her husband cheating on her is to be expected, but Pete’s thing is just weird and sad.

In this particular case, I don't think she was trying to be mean.  That's just how things were in her time. 

Calling someone "the resident cuckold" is mean, period. Whether it's deliberately mean is another matter. Hetty is pretty tone deaf when it comes to people's feelings.

• Like 4
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Calling someone "the resident cuckold" is mean, period. Whether it's deliberately mean is another matter. Hetty is pretty tone deaf when it comes to people's feelings.

Until very recently, especially with their timeline, they didn't know about Pete's wife. Hetty would have been "the resident cuckold." Maybe, she has decided that she now has the opportunity to foist that moniker on someone else much to her own satisfaction.

I'm very short. Whenever I meet someone who is only an inch or two taller than me, they love to remind me how short I am. Taller people see no reason to do the same.  I've chalked it up to them thinking, "Finally, I get to tell someone else she is short. I've been vindicated!"

Edited by eel21788
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That said, it's weird that neither of Trevor's parents showed any curiosity about why his body was found there and what he was doing there.

My fanwanking is that they had this conversation "off screen", likely before they arrived at Woodstone.  It would have been repetitive exposition for the viewers, so it wasn't necessary to include it. 

• Like 4
On 2/13/2023 at 4:08 PM, Mabinogia said:

But I do not want it to be a long term/permanent thing. It would throw off the balance of the show for me. 

I loved everything you said!  I would like for Jay to be able to see the ghosts one time so that he can see what they look like and to meet them face to face, but then lose the ability so that things stay this way.  He has some funny comments whenever Sam's talking to the ghosts and when he's trying to figure out what they're saying and what direction the conversation is going.   

• Like 4
1 minute ago, ChitChat said:

He has some funny comments whenever Sam's talking to the ghosts and when he's trying to figure out what they're saying and what direction the conversation is going.   

Some of his looks and facial expressions when she's talking to the ghosts are great. A mix of "oh no, what now?" and "I can't wait to hear what this is about". 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

Some of his looks and facial expressions when she's talking to the ghosts are great. A mix of "oh no, what now?" and "I can't wait to hear what this is about". 

I loved when he heard Sam talking about the Parent Trap idea and, without missing a beat, he was immediately like, "This is a bad idea..." :D. Proof of just how familiar he's become with the group's various hare-brained schemes :p. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
On 2/10/2023 at 11:27 AM, Johann said:

I also didn't like the ghost from the Farnsby's.  Actually, don't like any of their ghosts (unless I'm forgetting someone.)

I do like the old fashioned woman who was disgusted with the Farnsby's swinging.

• Like 3
On 2/13/2023 at 6:31 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

If it were dubbed, the word wouldn't match his lip movements.  I don't think they like to do that.

They do it quite often, though. It isn't as noticeable as you'd think.

On 2/14/2023 at 5:52 PM, eel21788 said:

Hetty would have been "the resident cuckold."

The word "cuckold" refers only to men,.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, basil said:

The word "cuckold" refers only to men,.

34 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

I've heard the term "cuckold wife" used more than once.

Looking at Wikipedia, there’s a lot about this equal opportunity English term, going back to the 16th century (wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuckold), if anyone wants to continue on the small talk thread: primetimer.com/topic/122365-small-talk-ghostly-chats/
could be fun/interesting?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/9/2023 at 9:26 PM, cdnalor said:

I only realised Esther was played by Laraine Newman when the credits rolled at the end.  Totally unrecognizable to me, even her voice didn't clue me in.

I hope she sued her plastic surgeon. I had an inkling it was her, but  I said no unrecognizable. Holy shit she looks terrible.