Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: All Hands on Deck

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Conrad is pulled away from celebrating Gigi's 6th birthday when Sammie comes into Chastian with a 104-degree fever, and Kit must call in a favor for treatment. Meanwhile, a heart arrives for Governor Betz's transplant surgery.

Airdate: 01/17/2023

31 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

Did I just watch a series finale? I hadn't heard that this was canceled but they sure wrote this episode like it's over. At least it's a relatively happy ending, I guess.

I thought it felt like a series finale too. Based on this interview, it sounds like they don't know either way. I guess they wanted to give closure just in case.

Why do hospital shows always imply there are no other doctors in the world but the main cast? This show is set in Atlanta, a major city. Why is the choice Ian or fly in a guy from Boston? There must be other pediatric surgeons in the city. They must even have a second one at Chastain, since Ian hasn't been around for weeks.

Same with Conrad. They called him in on his day off because no one else could possibly diagnose Sammy? Really? I mean good thing they did, since they apparently needed Gigi to notice her tongue. But still. They must have other doctors.

• Like 10

Does the show runner forget about Irving & Jessica? Everyone else gets their happy ending. We should hear something about them too, a baby on the way etc. These 2 have been with the show since the beginning.

The conversation between Dr. Bell and Dr. Ian Sullivan re fear and addiction is great. I like it.

Andrew McCarthy and Ian Anthony Dale have not been given great materials to work with and have been underused throughout this season.

Obviously the PPD arc is just a vehicle to shove Padma down our throats.

Here's a recap about Gigi and her fav Mr. Giraffe.

• Like 3

I thought this was a good episode and it did seem like a series finale. I guess because I had a cousin die yesterday I wanted something happy. Of course I don’t believe Ian would have been any where near that operating room but otherwise it was good. Hope it’s not canceled.

• Hugs 7
6 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Does the show runner forget about Irving & Jessica? Everyone else gets their happy ending. We should hear something about them too, a baby on the way etc. These 2 have been with the show since the beginning.

The conversation between Dr. Bell and Dr. Ian Sullivan re fear and addiction is great. I like it.

Great points and I agree with both. Irving and Jessica were so cute and I’m annoyed that they weren’t included. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

So in a room full of people--including doctors--Gigi is the first one to notice that Sammie's tongue is red.  🙄

Five doctors. (Or maybe six. What does Sammie's other dad do? He doesn't talk apparently.)

So much shitty writing. I get that they wanted to wrap everything up but it was so cheesy and bad at the end. Billie was a glorified babysitter not the head of surgery. The announcement of Chastain being saved was so poorly done. I could keep picking out moments. There were plenty. 

I did enjoy the Ian and Bell scene at the end. That was well done at least.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

Ian confessing to Kit was good but he performs surgery while high and gets to keep his job? Uh-huh, right. 

It has been done on other medical shows. In a late season episode of ER, Abby was drunk at work and told her AA sponsor (also a doctor at the same hospital) and her sponsor just praised her for being honest and Abby never faced any discipline for it. In fact, she was showcased as very brave and overwhelmed because she had to work while caring for a child and the coworker who did ask her if she was drunk on shift was ripped to shreds by the fandom… 🙄

On another note, I don’t see Billie as some loving mom figure to Gigi at all. I don’t get the hype. It seems like Conrad takes most of the pictures and talks with Gigi the most and Billie is just there to smile and occasionally pat Gigi on the head. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 1

Why TF were Jake and Gregg allowed to watch Sammie’s surgery? And surely Jake, being a doctor himself, should know better than to distract the surgeons by calling out “You have to save her!” (or whatever his exact words were).

Cade looked awfully bitter watching Billie with Conrad and Gigi at the end.

Oh, and LOL’d at AJ saying of course the babies were beautiful because they look just like him!

ETA: Did I miss something this season? I can’t recall whether Devon and Leela ever came to an agreement about whether or not to have children.

ETA again: Why on earth didn’t Ian ask for a leave of absence instead of coming back right away? He still hasn’t resolved how he’s going to cope with stress without using.

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Like 3

If that was the end, I guess it was satisfying enough. AJ deserved to be happy with Mina, though. Wish they could have made that happen 😩

Bell passing his stethoscope to Leela was supposed to be meaningful, but it fell flat since I guess I don’t really recall him mentoring her all that much? 

I’m kinda sad for Devon that he’ll probably never have those kids he’s always wanted. I loved him with Leela in the beginning, but I thought they should have broken up when they disagreed about having children. It felt like they never resolved that issue.

• Like 5

I hope that it doesn't get cancelled. It's not amazing television but it's my medical show happy place; it doesn't bore me like The Good Doctor or send me into a rage like Grey's Anatomy.

But if it is cancelled, they did a good job of wrapping things up:

• The hospital is saved, albeit with dodgy decisions
  • Bell is alive and there is a possibility that the trial will help him; Sammie is okay
  • Bell and Kit are married and Bell reconciled with his stepson.
  • Conrad has moved on after Nic's death and found love again with someone Gigi likes
  • AJ hasn't moved on (Mina is alive and they may reconnect) but he has the family that he lost before
  • Ian is in recovery and working on it
  • Devon is working in research, Leela is an attending and they are engaged
  • Padma is getting better and has her babies
  • Cade and Ian got the consolation prize with each other
On 1/17/2023 at 8:34 PM, Crashcourse said:

So in a room full of people--including doctors--Gigi is the first one to notice that Sammie's tongue is red.  🙄

Because she's just. like. Nic. They really hammered that in this season.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:05 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

That was really good. It rang true like it was personal for the writers.

On 1/18/2023 at 10:29 AM, Driad said:

Did they mention what happened to the helicopter pilot?  Last week she was in bad shape. 

Not that I remember. She woke up at the end of the previous episode so I assumed that she was okay.

18 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

ETA: Did I miss something this season? I can’t recall whether Devon and Leela ever came to an agreement about whether or not to have children.

Devon realized that children are a lot more work than he thought and agreed that they are too busy with their careers right now. Leela fell in love with the twins and said that having children is not off the table.

23 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

On another note, I don’t see Billie as some loving mom figure to Gigi at all. I don’t get the hype. It seems like Conrad takes most of the pictures and talks with Gigi the most and Billie is just there to smile and occasionally pat Gigi on the head. 

There were a couple of scenes earlier in the season, Billie taking Gigi and Sammie shopping for bridesmaids' dresses for Kit and Bell's wedding,and another where Gigi was sleeping in Billie's arms at the hospital. It makes sense that if Conrad is in the scene, Gigi interacts mostly with him and not Billie. And more Billie/Gigi scenes means more Gigi on the show and I'm okay with not showing that.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Quiet1 said:

I thought this season was awful. The focus was more on Padma than Leela. The only reason for the twins seems to be a long drawn out PSA for PPD. 

Not to mention PPD that a bunch of elite doctors couldn’t even spot.

I started watching the show late (December 2021) and I stopped enjoying it as much once Nic died. I can’t see it going much longer than S7. 

• Like 3

I am good with the show being cancelled. I believe every TV show should last only 5 seasons, at the most. Every show I watched started going downhill on season 4. Some even before that. This show was bad from the start, I had a hard time getting into it, not sure if I ever did. Hate watching from the start. 

When Gigi "diagnosed" 🙄 Sammie, the doctors in the room immediately accept that as a fact, without checking for other symptoms to confirm the guess. According to my doctorate on internet search, the tongue in Kawasaki does get bright red but also swollen. Sammie would have said something about how her tongue felt inside her mouth. Some sites also say it is contagious and affect mostly kids, so Gigi was at risk. 

If the show is over, they should have fast forward to a future where Gigi is the one who found a cure for MS when she turned 10. Not only that, but by 18 she would have found a cure for Parkinson's, epilepsy, Huntington's, Alzheimer's, and all cancers -and anything else that sickens the world. From there, the would have solved the climate crisis. She was on her way to cure old age. The only things she wouldn't have done was to find a way to get rid of billionaires and cure bad TV writing. 

Edited by circumvent
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 2
On 1/19/2023 at 4:07 PM, statsgirl said:

I hope that it doesn't get cancelled. It's not amazing television but it's my medical show happy place; it doesn't bore me like The Good Doctor or send me into a rage like Grey's Anatomy.

But if it is cancelled, they did a good job of wrapping things up:

• The hospital is saved, albeit with dodgy decisions
  • Bell is alive and there is a possibility that the trial will help him; Sammie is okay
  • Bell and Kit are married and Bell reconciled with his stepson.
  • Conrad has moved on after Nic's death and found love again with someone Gigi likes
  • AJ hasn't moved on (Mina is alive and they may reconnect) but he has the family that he lost before
  • Ian is in recovery and working on it
  • Devon is working in research, Leela is an attending and they are engaged
  • Padma is getting better and has her babies
  • Cade and Ian got the consolation prize with each other

Because she's just. like. Nic. They really hammered that in this season.

That was really good. It rang true like it was personal for the writers.

Not that I remember. She woke up at the end of the previous episode so I assumed that she was okay.

Devon realized that children are a lot more work than he thought and agreed that they are too busy with their careers right now. Leela fell in love with the twins and said that having children is not off the table.

There were a couple of scenes earlier in the season, Billie taking Gigi and Sammie shopping for bridesmaids' dresses for Kit and Bell's wedding,and another where Gigi was sleeping in Billie's arms at the hospital. It makes sense that if Conrad is in the scene, Gigi interacts mostly with him and not Billie. And more Billie/Gigi scenes means more Gigi on the show and I'm okay with not showing that.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to post - except that The Good Doctor annoys me.

20 hours ago, circumvent said:

I am good with the show being cancelled. I believe every TV show should last only 5 seasons, at the most. Every show I watched started going downhill on season 4. Some even before that. This show was bad from the start, I had a hard time getting into it, not sure if I ever did. Hate watching from the start. 

One show that had a great season 4 was Person of Interest.

tbh I am also fine with the show ending here. If it has a sudden jump in popularity on a streaming site in a few years, they can bring it back and we can just slide back in with a finale like that.

I disagree with this show being bad from the start - it was okay, but I wasn't really hatewatching it at the start. Now I just almost-hatewatch it since it has decent acting outside of Supergenius Gigi Who Can Spot All That Ails.

• Like 2

So this show is cancelled?   Or was that the season finale?     

I agree with most of the criticism of the show.  But  I have enjoyed it.  Not as much since Nic died.  And Gigi -- good grief.  lol  

And another nit pick --  Did anyone else notice Leela's fingernails when Devon proposed?   Maybe they have always looked like that but sure looked like the gal knew a proposal was coming, and got a fresh manicure just in time!   lol  And also, surgeons can not have nails like that, can they?   Of why would they want to?   

i know, she is an actress not a real  doctor,   and there are probably  a lot more unrealistic things.   lol  I think because she  covered her mouth with her hands, in surprise, the nails just stood out to me.  

• Like 6
1 hour ago, mishap said:

I agree with most of the criticism of the show.  But  I have enjoyed it.  Not as much since Nic died.  And Gigi -- good grief.  lol  

And another nit pick --  Did anyone else notice Leela's fingernails when Devon proposed?   Maybe they have always looked like that but sure looked like the gal knew a proposal was coming, and got a fresh manicure just in time!   lol  And also, surgeons can not have nails like that, can they?   Of why would they want to?   

i know, she is an actress not a real  doctor,   and there are probably  a lot more unrealistic things.   lol  I think because she  covered her mouth with her hands, in surprise, the nails just stood out to me.  

I, too, noticed the nails and thought it was absurd. I’ve always had long nails - natural and half the length of those talons on her. I can’t tell you how many dishwashing gloves I’ve destroyed when at least one nail, usually the index but sometimes the thumb, pokes through the glove. How she could wear surgical gloves with those is beyond me. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mishap said:

Did anyone else notice Leela's fingernails when Devon proposed?   Maybe they have always looked like that

They've looked like that all season. Drove me crazy because the nails of a real surgeon would be short so that she could scrub them properly before surgery and the nail polish would have quickly been gone.

26 minutes ago, Trillian said:

How she could wear surgical gloves with those is beyond me. 

That too.  So stupid.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, mishap said:

They don't know if it is going to be renewed, so the show is at the point of making every season finale a potential series finale.

On 1/21/2023 at 12:57 AM, bros402 said:

I disagree with this show being bad from the start - it was okay, but I wasn't really hatewatching it at the start.

The thing for me is that I was expecting a medical drama and what we got from the start was an absurd resident who walks around the hospital ordering everyone, including the big bosses, wearing combat boots and all kinds of bracelets and rings, always gets the right diagnosis, even when the "great doctors of this great institution" couldn't, then goes out in expeditions to make sure the bad guys are easily taken by the always late law enforcement. It was so preposterous, plus my extreme dislike for the title character, perfect storm for hate watch.

Then there is the fact that I really like Bruce Greenwood and liked that he was the bad guy in the story. Soon enough they made that other lady doctor the big bad villain who could do the most outrageous things in a super hero villain fashion, and like magic, Bell was the perfect boos, doctor, partner, friend, lover. 

Later they assassinated Mina's character, making her all mushy and silly, right after they introduced the pointless character of a narcissist (AJ). The character was there but they didn't explore the personality they gave him, and in the end he was also unlikable.

I could go on for each of the characters but I will stop.

It irked me to no end. Didn't care much for Nic either but agree that since she left the writers got lost. It is like she was a muse or something

Edited by circumvent
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, circumvent said:

The thing for me is that I was expecting a medical drama and what we got from the start was an absurd resident who walks around the hospital ordering everyone, including the big bosses, wearing combat boots and all kinds of bracelets and rings, always gets the right diagnosis, even when the "great doctors of this great institution" couldn't, then goes out in expeditions to make sure the bad guys are easily taken by the always late law enforcement. It was so preposterous, plus my extreme dislike for the title character, perfect storm for hate watch.

Then there is the fact that I really like Bruce Greenwood and liked that he was the bad guy in the story. Soon enough they made that other lady doctor the big bad villain who could do the most outrageous things in a super hero villain fashion, and like magic, Bell was the perfect boos, doctor, partner, friend, lover. 

Later they assassinated Mina's character, making her all mushy and silly, right after they introduced the pointless character of a narcissist (AJ). The character was there but they didn't explore the personality they gave him, and in the end he was also unlikable.

I could go on for each of the characters but I will stop.

It irked me to no end. Didn't care much for Nic either but agree that since she left the writers got lost. It is like she was a muse or something

The show would've been more interesting with Devon as the lead tbh

This show has been weird with how it was to rehabilitate everyone - everyone can't be perfect. I can understand them softening AJ, since he is still a narcissist, but a bit toned down

Also - yes, they ruined Mina.

• Like 3
On 1/26/2023 at 12:17 PM, LtKelley said:

Agree. 

It also would have been more interesting if Bell retained his villainhood. 

Or if Conrad ever faced any sort of backlash beyond a stern look over his cowboy antics. 

Or hadn't had the perfect relationship with Nic, complete with her tragic death leaving him with the perfect child who despite being raised by a doctor, will never veer from wanting to be the best nurse ever just like dead Mommy who she never knew. 

It would've been interesting if Nic had died after an arc where Conrad and Nic were having martial troubles - so Conrad could've had some big issues stemming from that.

• Like 1

I like little Gigi too. She looks like she really could be Nic and Conrad's daughter. I think she's cute. 

I haven't watched the last 2 episodes yet (still catching up on my DVR) and while I don't hate the show, it definitely has not reached the potential it had. I especially hate the storylines involving the finances and politics of funding a hospital because they never ever talk about Georgia's refusal to expand Medicaid as part of the ACA and how that impacts the hospital's bottom line. Instead, it's just some big bad governor who apparently has the discretion to defund specific hospitals just because he doesn't like Kit. It just seems like a total copout for them to ignore this fact about the lack of Medicaid expansion because they film in Georgia and need the tax credits they get for filming there and don't want to piss off the politicians in that state. It's a dishonest storyline and I wish they never went there. I would have just preferred that they stick to medical cases for their storylines. 

13 hours ago, GiandujaPie said:

I like little Gigi too. She looks like she really could be Nic and Conrad's daughter. I think she's cute. 

I haven't watched the last 2 episodes yet (still catching up on my DVR) and while I don't hate the show, it definitely has not reached the potential it had. I especially hate the storylines involving the finances and politics of funding a hospital because they never ever talk about Georgia's refusal to expand Medicaid as part of the ACA and how that impacts the hospital's bottom line. Instead, it's just some big bad governor who apparently has the discretion to defund specific hospitals just because he doesn't like Kit. It just seems like a total copout for them to ignore this fact about the lack of Medicaid expansion because they film in Georgia and need the tax credits they get for filming there and don't want to piss off the politicians in that state. It's a dishonest storyline and I wish they never went there. I would have just preferred that they stick to medical cases for their storylines. 

yuuup, they should go all in if they want to do that.

OK, I finally watched the last 2 episodes and yes it did seem like a series finale. I'm with everyone who felt Irving and Jessica got shafted. It would have been nice if we had found out she was pregnant or they had bought a house or something to show they were also moving forward with their life beyond the hospital. Also, was Cade in any scenes other than the one with Ian and Kit and then a very brief scene with James where they walked off together? I didn't particularly like her this season but seems like she got shafted too, considering she's a regular main character. 

AJ and Padma's babies were super duper cute and yes they looked just like him! However, this was the most ridiculous storyline. AJ as a dad would have been a good storyline, but I would have preferred he find a woman he loves and is in a relationship with and then had babies, rather than this ridiculous thing he's got going with Padma. Way too much time spent on her! 

And the ridiculousness that was the hospital being saved. So the governor can just arbitrarily just decide to fund one hospital in the state because they did him a solid? How corrupt is that? And how do they know that he won't die a few months later and a new governor won't just decide to change it? I just wish they had stuck with medical case of the week storylines instead of delving in the politics of funding. I've been watching old ER episodes and I just feel like overall, ER was just a better show. This show could have been better but it just kind of ended up fizzling out. Sorry it's likely being cancelled but it's proably for the best. 

On 3/21/2023 at 10:24 AM, GiandujaPie said:

OK, I finally watched the last 2 episodes and yes it did seem like a series finale. I'm with everyone who felt Irving and Jessica got shafted. It would have been nice if we had found out she was pregnant or they had bought a house or something to show they were also moving forward with their life beyond the hospital. Also, was Cade in any scenes other than the one with Ian and Kit and then a very brief scene with James where they walked off together? I didn't particularly like her this season but seems like she got shafted too, considering she's a regular main character. 

And the ridiculousness that was the hospital being saved. So the governor can just arbitrarily just decide to fund one hospital in the state because they did him a solid? How corrupt is that? And how do they know that he won't die a few months later and a new governor won't just decide to change it? I just wish they had stuck with medical case of the week storylines instead of delving in the politics of funding. I've been watching old ER episodes and I just feel like overall, ER was just a better show. This show could have been better but it just kind of ended up fizzling out. Sorry it's likely being cancelled but it's proably for the best. 

The props and sets for the show were being sold - well, at least ones for "a medical drama that films in the Atlanta area" were being sold.

With the hospital, it was that the old governor didn't have time to get the legislature to fund it, so she used the discretionary fund she had to spend on seemingly anything.