Type keyword(s) to search

I'm So Disappointed In You: Celebrity Misdeeds

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Dani said:

The DA made a statement that Baldwin’s lawyers are wrong and that the gun is available for them to review. Seems like the defense was being hyperbolic in claiming the gun is effectively destroyed. 

That's good. I'd hope they weren't that stupid.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Wouldn't that be Chris Rock's decision whether he wants to press charges?

No.  It's up to the prosecution. If the victim decides to be uncooperative, they might not move forward.  Maybe they're more likely not to move forward.   But if the state thinks they have the evidence, they can prosecute even if the victim might be against it. There have definitely been domestic violence prosecutions where the victim refuses to cooperate.

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
18 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

No.  It's up to the prosecution. If the victim decides to be uncooperative, they might not move forward.  Maybe they're more likely not to move forward.   But if the state thinks they have the evidence, they can prosecute even if the victim might be against it. There have definitely been domestic violence prosecutions where the victim refuses to cooperate.

Considering the entire incident was witnessed by hundreds of people in attendance and literally millions of people worldwide, the police would have ample evidence to present to the prosecutor as to Smith's actions with or without Rock's cooperation.  I think they decided that the odds of there being a repeat of the incident were very low while the cost of prosecuting Smith who could undoubtedly hire the best lawyers and drag the case out indefinitely and cost the taxpayers a bundle was not worth it.

• Like 10

Yes, the prosecution can technically bring any case they want, even without the cooperation of a victim.   But in something like this where it was assault but no one was hospitalized, etc., they aren't bringing it unless the victim cooperates.  They have too many cases to choose from, a misdemeanor is not going to be high on the priority list to prosecute UNLESS the victim pushes it.  

Now I wonder if Chris Rock was talked out of pressing charges by the Academy who didn't want any more bad publicity or he chose to not do so on his own so he continue to pick on Jada while playing the victim?

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Now I wonder if Chris Rock was talked out of pressing charges by the Academy who didn't want any more bad publicity or he chose to not do so on his own so he continue to pick on Jada while playing the victim?

At the time a producer said that the police told Rock they would make the arrest, that it was assault and that Rock declined. That matches what the police said. I could see those statements as just covering their asses but Rock saying he was taught not to fight in front of white people makes me inclined to think he didn’t want to press charges. 

I don't think Rock was asked to decline pressing charges because I don't think it even occurred to the people running the Oscars to do so at the time. The entire vibe at the ceremony and from the powers that be was that it was no big deal at least for a couple of days until there started being think pieces about how badly the whole thing was mismanaged. That seemed to prompt a different and more critical response from them toward Smith. If they were actually concerned about Rock pressing charges, I think they would have been more guarded initially. 

If Rock were smart, he would have just continued to keep his mouth shut. Actually this whole thing is just a great illustration of how to lose public sympathy. If Smith hadn't smacked Rock, Rock would have been the indisputable bad guy who told a really unfunny, dated, hurtful joke. And if Rock hadn't decided to go there in his new special and prove how weirdly obsessed and vindictive he is with Jada Pinkett Smith, Smith would still be the one who upended last year's Oscars by slapping a presenter. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
39 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't think Rock was asked to decline pressing charges because I don't think it even occurred to the people running the Oscars to do so at the time. The entire vibe at the ceremony and from the powers that be was that it was no big deal at least for a couple of days until there started being think pieces about how badly the whole thing was mismanaged. That seemed to prompt a different and more critical response from them toward Smith. If they were actually concerned about Rock pressing charges, I think they would have been more guarded initially. 

I thought the same but a producer said the police were called after. 

After Will Smith slapped comedian Chris Rock on stage Sunday at the Academy Awards ceremony, Los Angeles police officers were prepared to arrest Smith, according to an interview with the award show’s producer, but the comedian was adamant he did not want to press charges.

In an excerpt of an interview with ABC News, aired Thursday on “World News Tonight,” producer Will Packer said LAPD officers told Rock, “This is battery” and that he could press charges, and they were prepared to arrest Smith that night.

“They said, we will go get him. We are prepared. We are prepared to get him right now. You can press charges. We can arrest him. They were laying out the options,” Packer told ABC. “And as they were talking, Chris was … being very dismissive of those options. He was like, no, I’m fine. He was, like, no, no, no.” 

The LAPD put out a statement on the night of the Oscars, saying, “The individual involved has declined to file a police report.”

Of course there is no way of knowing how much after that happened. The “we will go get him” makes me think it could have been after the live show ended and Smith was already at the after party. Seems like if Smith was still in the building they wouldn’t have to go get him. 

I don't understand those who think Rock should have kept his mouth shut. Any comedian will tell you that out of tragedy comes comedy. And if that's Rock's way of processing and dealing with the humility of it, we shouldn't begrudge it.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I don't understand those who think Rock should have kept his mouth shut. Any comedian will tell you that out of tragedy comes comedy. And if that's Rock's way of processing and dealing with the humility of it, we shouldn't begrudge it.

Tragedy? He wasn't exactly innocent in it all. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

While this is not a comment about either side of the Rock/Smith debate, I'm now reminded of the Mel Brooks quote:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger.  Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 12
4 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I don't believe Chris should have kept his mouth shut.  What I do believe is that he needs to dial the misogyny back.  To my knowledge, Chris has yet to apologize for his misogynistic "jokes" directed towards both Penelope Cruz and Jada.  

• Like 18
  • Applause 2
7 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I don’t begrudge him wanting to speak out. I do begrudge the misogynoir. Particularly from someone with a horrible track record on the subject. 

• Like 18
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 4
3 hours ago, Makai said:

I don’t begrudge him wanting to speak out. I do begrudge the misogynoir. Particularly from someone with a horrible track record on the subject. 

I like liked Chris Rock when he did more observational political humor.  When he makes jokes about specific women, such as Jada and Meghan Markle, it's not funny to me.  It comes across as personal. Like he doesn't like these women and this is his way of showing it. 

• Like 15
10 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I think that's the rub.  The part of the set involving the incident wasn't characterized by humility, but, imo, bitterness and a need to slap back, albeit verbally.

If he had indeed turned the humor on himself and managed to thread the needle where he skewered both himself and Will (leaving Jada out of it) then I think the response would have been different and he would have come out seeming like the bigger person.

But instead he decided to double down in a way that forfeited any high road he had.  I mean, the man made a pious pronouncement about being brought up not to fight in front of white folks... and then proceeded to call a black woman a bitch, slut shame her and make a joke about enjoying watching Will's slave character being whipped ... on Netflix a platform that has a billion eyes on it, many of whom are white folks.

• Like 17
  • Applause 6
5 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

make a joke about enjoying watching Will's slave character being whipped ... on Netflix a platform that has a billion eyes on it, many of whom are white folks.

I really wish people would get this straight, he didn't say "whipped" he said "whooped", big difference. You can clearly hear it in this video, even though the title incorrectly says "whipped"

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, GaT said:

I really wish people would get this straight, he didn't say "whipped" he said "whooped", big difference. You can clearly hear it in this video, even though the title incorrectly says "whipped"

I feel like that can be a significant distinction when talking about a child being disciplined but not when talking about a slave. Particularly when the character is based off of a real person who was nicknamed “Whipped Peter”. 

Edited by Makai
  • Like 5
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

If he had indeed turned the humor on himself and managed to thread the needle where he skewered both himself and Will (leaving Jada out of it) then I think the response would have been different and he would have come out seeming like the bigger person.

But instead he decided to double down in a way that forfeited any high road he had. 

This is where I'm at, as well. I was absolutely expecting him to speak on the incident in his stand-up; but dude had a year to spin the whole thing in his favor and he decided to double down on what got him smacked in the first place.

• Like 16
2 hours ago, Trini said:

This is where I'm at, as well. I was absolutely expecting him to speak on the incident in his stand-up; but dude had a year to spin the whole thing in his favor and he decided to double down on what got him smacked in the first place.

Yeah this is actually what I was thinking when I posted that comment that seemed to have kicked off this whole debate. He had a year to think of something to say, and he couldn't come up with anything that was actually insightful or funny in that time and instead just doubled-down in a lazy way that made him seem like an obsessive asshole again. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, GaT said:

They mean pretty much the same thing to me 🤷‍♀️.

• Like 4

No two comedians are alike, nor are their deliveries and monologues. When you choose to see a comedian "live" you pay because you like their style and/or sense of humor. Chris has his own style. If his style include all of the objections above, then you don't go to his concert.

IMO, Chris was just being Chris. And even though his style of delivery was objectionable to some, he should still be allowed to speak his mind and/or joke at his own pace without all the uproar.

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, Soapy Goddess said:

No two comedians are alike, nor are their deliveries and monologues. When you choose to see a comedian "live" you pay because you like their style and/or sense of humor. Chris has his own style. If his style include all of the objections above, then you don't go to his concert.

IMO, Chris was just being Chris. And even though his style of delivery was objectionable to some, he should still be allowed to speak his mind and/or joke at his own pace without all the uproar.

Well, I for one have no intention to go to Mr. Rock's concert because I don't like his style or sense of humor . However since he was on a worldwide venue it would have behooved him to have adjusted his 'style' to entertain as much of the audience as possible instead of using it to single out a couple of folks he was grinding axes against.

Yes, that was him 'being himself' but people's adverse reactions was 'being themselves'. If he gets 'all the uproar' from 'being himself' and dislikes said uproar, it's up to him to see to about changing for the better instead of digging a deeper hole to self-justify meanspirited attacks on individual audience members long after the venue's dispersal. IOW, his right to say what he wants goes with others' rights to verbally object to it if they believe what he said was objectionable.

And I say ALL the above while STILL believing that this in NO WAY merited a physical attack from Mr. Smith or anyone else.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2

If his style include all of the objections above, then you don't go to his concert.

Netflix chose to give him a huge platform where anyone with a Netflix account has a ticket to his concert and Chris Rock chose to take that platform. Then they hyped up the special specifically with the fact that the slap was going to be addressed. 

IMO, Chris was just being Chris.

I agree. 

And even though his style of delivery was objectionable to some, he should still be allowed to speak his mind and/or joke at his own pace without all the uproar.

I agree with the first part and strongly disagree with the second. He should be (and is) allowed to say whatever he wants and the public is allowed to voice their opinions in response. Free speech is a two way street. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, Makai said:

He should be (and is) allowed to say whatever he wants and the public is allowed to voice their opinions in response. Free speech is a two way street. 

And we don't know how many people are now going to watch his special because of the uproar.

• Sad 1

Former One Life to Live actor Forbes March has been arrested for cooking oil theft.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/forbes-march-arrest-cooking-oil-one-life-to-live-all-my-children-1235298090/

https://soaps.sheknows.com/soaps/news/663989/soap-star-arrested-forbes-march-one-life-to-live/

For those thinking "WTH?", here's the explanation from Deadline:

Used cooking oil can be used to manufacture biofuels, and theft has been on the rise throughout the Northeast region in recent years as fuel prices increase. In an interview last year, Sumit Majumdar, the president of Buffalo Biodiesel, said the thefts have cost his company millions of dollars. “It’s ballooning,” he said. “It’s wiping out a third of our business. To put that into numbers: $10 million to $15 million a year.”

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
46 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Former One Life to Live actor Forbes March has been arrested for cooking oil theft.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/forbes-march-arrest-cooking-oil-one-life-to-live-all-my-children-1235298090/

https://soaps.sheknows.com/soaps/news/663989/soap-star-arrested-forbes-march-one-life-to-live/

For those thinking "WTH?", here's the explanation from Deadline:

Brandon Sanderson and Dan Wells will be so happy. A food heist! Sort of. Close enough for their purposes, at least.

• Like 3

It just gets twistier and twistier. Rust prosecutor Andrea Reeb steps down after defense challenge.

Baldwin’s attorneys sought to disqualify the prosecutor Andrea Reeb  because of her position as a state legislator...

The decision by Andrea Reeb to recuse herself as prosecutor came after weeks of resistance by her and First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies, who appointed Reeb...

Baldwin’s lawyers in February filed a motion asking a judge to remove Reeb from the case, saying New Mexico’s constitution bars people from holding a position in one branch of government while executing the powers of another branch.

• Useful 3
11 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Good.   First she overcharged.   Then there is the confusion about the gun.   

Also there is some question about the plea deal the one guy got.   Apparently his attorney gave to her campaign.   Now Alex was never going to take a plea deal nor was the armourer, both say its not their fault.   But if the ONE guy who got a plea deal had the attorney who gave to the campaign, it does look questionable.   And the standard is "appearance of impropriety."   

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3
On 3/14/2023 at 3:39 AM, Blergh said:

However since he was on a worldwide venue it would have behooved him to have adjusted his 'style' to entertain as much of the audience as possible instead of using it to single out a couple of folks he was grinding axes against.

Will chose a rather large worldwide audience to hit Chris also.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Makai said:

Absolutely but Chris didn’t chose to call Will a bitch. He chose to focus his anger on the women who did nothing to him other than show up bald and roll her eyes at his joke made at her expense. In all of this Jada is the only one who has responded to an appropriate degree and yet she’s the one called a bitch to a worldwide audience. 

I know others disagree but for me I felt that the anger Rock displayed in his show was way more directed at Jada than it was at Will.  The anger at Will made sense, the anger - rage really - aimed at Jada is where I think he lost a lot of sympathy from people who might otherwise have, at the very least, shrugged and said Will had the verbal smackdown coming.

• Like 14
1 hour ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I know others disagree but for me I felt that the anger Rock displayed in his show was way more directed at Jada than it was at Will.  The anger at Will made sense, the anger - rage really - aimed at Jada is where I think he lost a lot of sympathy from people who might otherwise have, at the very least, shrugged and said Will had the verbal smackdown coming.

I was going to watch his special but after I heard about his "jokes" about Jada and Meghan Markle I decided not to.  Am I going to cancel my Netflix subscription because of Chris Rock making IMO unfunny jokes about two women of color?  No.  Am I going to be less likely to watch any Chris Rock projects in the future?  Yes.

• Like 18
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Exactly. I think he is justified in being angry at the guy who walked up onto stage in front of a live Audience and millions of home viewers and hit him in the face, but there was absolutely zero indication that that is what Jada wanted, she did not tell Will to do that, and she didn't seem to do any fist pumping, congratulatory actions when he did it, so why is Chris sooooo freaking angry at her?  All I can think, is that he hates women. Does he target men in the same way? I don't watch his comedy so IDK. Maybe he does, in which case maybe Jada killed his cat.

If it is a personal vendetta, he should say, because he looks like a total ass, and this is from someone who was on his side the night of the slap. He put me on Jada's side. I can never forgive him for that! lol I don't care for her, but IMO she is completely innocent in all this unless Chris explains that she did something horrible to him. (and I don't mean, turned him down, it has to be something actually hurtful)

• Like 16
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1

So in a number of the articles talking about this people trace his hostility to Jada to when she was calling for a boycott on the Oscars when Chris was going to host. Because while publicly it was protesting OscarsSoWhite, in reality she was just pissed the Academy didn't nominate Will for Concussion. She directly threatened his livelihood and he's been pissed about it ever since. 

I have no knowledge if that's true on not but it's been mentioned multiple times. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

So in a number of the articles talking about this people trace his hostility to Jada to when she was calling for a boycott on the Oscars when Chris was going to host. Because while publicly it was protesting OscarsSoWhite, in reality she was just pissed the Academy didn't nominate Will for Concussion. She directly threatened his livelihood and he's been pissed about it ever since. 

I have no knowledge if that's true on not but it's been mentioned multiple times. 

In his special Chris brings up Jada’s boycott and said she started the feud then. That just makes me think Chris as an extremely fragile ego. That Oscar’s was the year when all 20 of the top acting nominations went to white actors. Spike Lee was actually the one who started the boycott talk. And yet I didn’t see anyone claim Spike was just pissed he didn’t get a nomination even though he was also snubbed that year. 

Who knows what Jada said to Chris in private by publicly she expressed support for him in spite of the boycott. 

"Hey Chris," Pinkett Smith said, addressing 2016 show host Chris Rock, "I won't be at the Academy Awards, and I won't be watching. But I can't think of a better man to do the job at hand this year than you, my friend."

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

If the majority feel that Rock's anger was more toward Jada, I understand why. If not for Jada's over-emphasized eye roll, I seriously doubt Will would have strolled up to the stage and smacked Rock...especially over a stupid joke that she's heard numerous times before, without incident.

• Mind Blown 2

If Chris Rock is calling it a "feud" because Jada -- among a LOT of other actors -- boycotted the So White Oscars, he needs help.   It didn't threaten his livelihood.  It was one damn hosting gig.   That no one even remembers.   I am quite sure she is not the only person who boycotted who also had a connection to some of the not nominate people/shows.   But somehow SHE is the one who "started the feud" that not's even a feud?   It's one man being butthurt that people didn't put their principles aside for him.   And not even people -- ONE WOMAN.

• Like 15
  • Applause 7

Chris Rock also had some not so nice things to say about Meghan Markle.  What did she ever do to him?  I think she was just an easy target.

And as far as a Jada is concerned, and I say this as not a fan of Jada, it could just be that she is a strong black woman who speaks her mind.  Maybe Chris doesn't like that.

• Like 15
8 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

If the majority feel that Rock's anger was more toward Jada, I understand why. If not for Jada's over-emphasized eye roll, I seriously doubt Will would have strolled up to the stage and smacked Rock...especially over a stupid joke that she's heard numerous times before, without incident.

What? She had a perfectly understandable reaction, imo. She didn’t ask for nor did she need a man to fight her battles for her. This is all on Will, imo. 

2 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

How old is Will Smith?  Because I'm not buying this.  His actions were his own and to suggest that he did what he did because his wife rolled her eyes?  My husband would be spending half his life smacking people if he was at all influenced by my eye rolling.

IKR? Same!

• Like 19
  • Applause 2
15 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Ms. Pickett- Smith rolled her eyes but I don't see how an eye roll can be 'over emphasized'. I mean, as a human, she only has two pupils instead of hundreds like flies do.

Unless any of us have followed Ms. Pickett-Smith every single day since her hair loss became noticeable, none of us can say for certain that she'd heard any jokes about her physical condition before Mr. Rock took it upon himself to belittle her condition before a worldwide audience. I'd like think that few if any folks felt the need to be boorish clods in her presence over said condition instead of doing their best to look her in the eye when speaking and do their best to not to draw attention to her condition. 

Regardless, Mr. Smith himself made the decision to physically accost Mr. Rock before the worldwide audience instead of either just have verbally responded, glared on camera . .or just waited until he got home to decide whether Mr. Rock needed to be verbally chastised for having attempted to humiliate Ms. Pickett-Smith that way.

• Like 10
9 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

My husband would be spending half his life smacking people if he was at all influenced by my eye rolling.

I’m fairly certain I’ve come close to influencing someone to violence with an eye roll but I would have also been the recipient of the slap. Fortunately my parents restrained themselves to verbal smackdowns. 

Edited by Makai
  • LOL 13
2 minutes ago, Makai said:

I’m fairly certain I’ve come close to persuading someone to violence with an eye roll but I would have also been the recipient of the slap. Fortunately my parents restrained themselves to verbal smackdowns. 

Yeah I am a champion eye roller by nature. It's never prompted anyone to slap someone on my behalf, but I'm pretty sure it's been enraging to whoever was on the receiving end of it. I finally learned to just look down to rudely eye roll in privacy, but then according to my friends that became my tell I was eye rolling. I finally learned to roll my eyes internally. LOLOL

Eye rolls are looking for a facial expression of solidarity, not a physical attack. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 7
3 hours ago, Makai said:

I’m fairly certain I’ve come close to influencing someone to violence with an eye roll but I would have also been the recipient of the slap. Fortunately my parents restrained themselves to verbal smackdowns. 

My champion eye rolling as a teen got me grounded many times. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 7

My kids perfected the “inner” eye rolling when they were teens. That infuriated me more than the in-your-face eye rolls. I can even tell when they are doing it during a phone call. And FaceTime. I get irritated all over again.

• Like 7
  • LOL 5