Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: The Walk in the Woods Job

• Start Topic

Release Date: November 30, 2022

While investigating the mysterious death of Eliot’s friend, the Leverage team infiltrate an infamous enclave of power to take down the corrupt head of a Private Security Company.

This was another good one.  I liked that it was twisty and they had to recalibrate a couple of times and the mark was not predictable.

I always enjoy how Sophie's situational awareness allows her to shift seemlessly into another persona to fit the situation.  As someone pointed out in the thread for the last episode it is a pleasure to watch something like this because it brings home how good they are at what they do.  You could see the shock on her face when the mark showed her the picture he had of her and then almost without a blink she shifted and became someone else and convinced him of her new reality.

Harry doing Elliot's voice was hysterical. 

Breanna: "Still waiting for my umbrella of freedom and my shower cap of equality" cracked me up."  Heh.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9

Well, imdb certainly has me confused. In the cast for The Walk in the Woods, they show Tohd - the dude from the first episode, the Russian Debutante one. Several of the other characters have Russian names.  Huh?

Anyway, I enjoyed this episode, even if I did have to pause watching to look up "ghillie suit." They turn out to be less expensive than I would have imagined.

Parker's glee at opening the tree safe was hilarious.

I figured out very early on that Dr Paul had faked his death, but it was a strong episode regardless. There was a moment early on that struck me, during the initial case presentation, when a picture of the supposedly dead guy came up on screen and Eliot saw it and couldn't even speak, and there was this little ripple of panic that ran through the whole of the rest of the crew. They do not know how to cope when Eliot is upset. For all his demons, he's always so contained, so in control, seeing even a tiny c**** in his armour really throws them.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

This is probably my favorite episode of this season. Everybody on the team was working their role to the best of their ability. You could really feel how much they were doing this for Eliot at the beginning but then it became more than that.

To me this episode showed how Sophie really, truly is the mastermind that Nate used to be but with a whole different skill set. Her talking about learning to take a car hit when she was a baby grifter made me hope this season continues to give us a look into her origins.

• Like 7
  • Love 3

Eliot-centered episodes are always a bit more serious, but that's okay with me. And we had Harry to provide some great comic relief. Loved him turning into Eliot.

It may have been an Eliot-centered episode but it really highlighted how good Sophie is at what she's doing. Sliding from one con to the next while directing the team was impressive. Parker's dance of the not-seven veils was hilarious and one of these scenes where you just stop thinking about the logistics and enjoy the crazy. 

I also appreciated how the big old conspiracy about the secret society turned into a couple of elderly gentlemen running around in tuncis, waving hands to a ram's horn and getting drunk. Their only nefarious deeds were p****** on frogs eggs as Breanna put it so succinctly. Loved her plot and that frog hat!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

This is probably my favorite so far this season.  The Leverage Crew takes down Bohemian Orpheus Grove (and you know those cell phones will be very useful in the future). Sophie was so much fun to watch in this one from the way she switches effortlessly from one persona to the next and still fools the mark.  And of course she knows the flop, but I did like the nice touch of her in the next scene with a bag of frozen peas on her shoulder.  I also loved her reactions, from her wince as the mark talked about his "time in combat" to her reaction to the Orpheus Grove rituals: "This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen!"

As for Orpheus Grove, Parker summed it up.  "This is not the cabal of evil I was expecting" as she watches drunk guys pissing all over the place.  And of course that is what destroys them in the end.  And I loved Breanna's frog hat (which I hope we see in future episodes) but "What's a flyer?" Seriously?!  I feel like I'm quoting Hardison.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Doctor Paul come back in future episodes (along with Tara, Hurley, Archie, Sarah the newbie lawyer, any of the Korean Leverage crew...)

I saw Noah Wylie wrote and directed this one and he did good job, especially on Elliott's backstory.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Another fantastic episode, and another for my ever growing all-time favorites list, lol. These last three episodes have all been especially strong, and it's such a joy that not only did this show come back, but it came back better than ever.

Sophie and Eliot always had the most mysterious backgrounds, so it's been so wonderful to finally start to learn a little more about them this season, one crumb at a time. This was a great look into a little corner of Eliot's past, and CK played it well. And Dr Paul's line that Eliot wouldn't have lied and gone with the mark's coverup was quite telling about Eliot's character, too.

22 hours ago, Llywela said:

There was a moment early on that struck me, during the initial case presentation, when a picture of the supposedly dead guy came up on screen and Eliot saw it and couldn't even speak, and there was this little ripple of panic that ran through the whole of the rest of the crew. They do not know how to cope when Eliot is upset. For all his demons, he's always so contained, so in control, seeing even a tiny c**** in his armour really throws them.

This is an excellent point, Llywela, one that didn't even occur to me. I thought it was a nice touch that Eliot got momentarily choked up when he saw Dr Paul's picture but you're right, the reactions of the rest of the crew are almost more telling. You're spot on with your analysis. I don't recall the original series ever having a moment where the others see Eliot lose control? Maybe in the warehouse with Moreau's men at the end of season 3, but Nate was the only one there and promised (at Eliot's request) not to tell the others.

Harry's gravel-voiced Eliot impersonation reminded me of Sophie doing the same in season 4 of the original ("What's that voice? Is she doing me?" 🤣) Kudos to NW for writing and directing such a wonderful episode - and I give him credit too for writing an Eliot-centric episode, rather than the Harry-centric episode that one would expect. Well done!

I agree that Sophie's quick turnaround after the mark made her was a truly fantastic moment. For all that we're told these characters are amazing and talented, it's moments like that which *show* us that amazing talent in action. As marceline said, Sophie has become a seriously impressive mastermind, one very different from Nate but - dare I say - one I like better. I'd rank that scene up with the RIZ lady confrontation scene from last season's finale as far as being among the very best Sophie moments.

And seeing her do the Flop so flawlessly gave me Hustle vibes - Ash Morgan would be proud! (Though I agree the frozen peas were a nice touch).

Random bits of goodness:

• Hanging in the headquarters is a painting of what appears to a poodle holding a flaming torch in its mouth? lol
  • Breanna's cap read Make Crawfish $1.97/lb again
  • Massage Therapist Parker is as terrifying as Belly Dancer Parker is hilarious.
  • I love the clear implication that Hardison won Parker over to the conspiracy theories during the past decade, and she knew all about Bohemian Orpheus Grove (Lugal beat me to it but I had to say it anyway)
  • "What's a flyer?" I am simultaneously heartened to know there is a generation that will never know the aggravation of making flyers, distributing flyers, & throwing away flyers; and depressed to realize that I am that old, lol.
  • Breanna: "Still waiting for my umbrella of freedom and my shower cap of equality" (DearEverette beat me to this one but it's worth quoting more than once 🤣)
  • Parker's delighted reaction at having to steal three keys off three guys to open a super secret safe was perfect - love that these characters genuinely love what they do!
  • Frogs to the rescue!

Overall another brilliant episode, one I look forward to rewatching over and over!

• Applause 2
  • Love 10

I'll admit, I wasn't too hooked on the plot on this episode.  It just didn't grab me, and the white robes were a bit too KKK for my tastes.  But overall, I'm enjoying this season.  Noah Wylie is not quite as annoying as he was first season.  (But I still wish they never had him start with that damn New Orleans accent, which just comes and goes as it pleases.)  I'm glad we've gotten bits of Hardison here and there, but Brianna really has become a good substitute for him. 

One thing that bugs, and yes, this is horribly petty...  Christian Kane really really really needs a haircut.  I'm ok with his long hair in general, but it's just too long now, and goes back and forth between looking girly and looking scrungy. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, chaifan said:

One thing that bugs, and yes, this is horribly petty...  Christian Kane really really really needs a haircut.  I'm ok with his long hair in general, but it's just too long now, and goes back and forth between looking girly and looking scrungy. 

I agree, and I never thought I'd say such a thing. I'll admit to having an eye for guys with long hair, but this really is almost too long. A few inches off would make it hang much nicer.

• Love 4

I was kind of hoping the grove being in the dead zone on satellite was going to be more of a plot point. It's minor though. I'm always rooting for the team. I'd really like to see a job with no technology; just all skills and grift. 

I did not see all the pissing coming back in the resolution. Brilliant for Breanna to help out by using the 'internet'.

Harry really stole the scene impersonating Eliot. 

Kane did really good subtle work holding back not breaking, and Breanna picking up on it to keep talking. 

On 11/29/2022 at 6:37 PM, DearEvette said:

I always enjoy how Sophie's situational awareness allows her to shift seemlessly into another persona to fit the situation.

That, and banking on Parker to have stolen the phones in the meantime. 

On 12/1/2022 at 8:52 AM, Lugal said:

I saw Noah Wylie wrote and directed this one and he did good job, especially on Elliott's backstory.

Oh, wow. He did a great job capturing the teamwork while not taking himself too seriously. I'm interested in the choice of kind of a heavy episode. I do think he got the dialogue down quite well. 

• Like 6
On 12/9/2022 at 9:41 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I was kind of hoping the grove being in the dead zone on satellite was going to be more of a plot point. It's minor though. I'm always rooting for the team. I'd really like to see a job with no technology; just all skills and grift.

The closest they came to it was "The Frame-Up Job" in the original series. It's one of my favorite episodes.

• Like 1
On 12/9/2022 at 7:41 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

The Cross My Heart Job was a no tech (or rather low tech) job they did on the original series.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Is that the Ma Mystere one?

It's the one with Nate and Sophie handling a case on their own. It's an old country house mystery. A painting is stolen and it has to be someone in the house.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

It's the one with Nate and Sophie handling a case on their own. It's an old country house mystery. A painting is stolen and it has to be someone in the house.

That IS the Ma Mystere one - the painting in the vault, the dead old guy, the horrible latest wife/widow, the crooked curator in cahoots with the disowned son, and Sterling hot on their trail.

• Like 3

I love the frogs came back in the end. Breanna wearing a frog hat.

I love Harry pretending to be Eliot it did remind me of Sophie doing Eliot in the Potato Job. 

I love Sophie's quick turning the mark around when he caught on to her. I love how good she is. 

On 12/3/2022 at 7:45 PM, chaifan said:

the white robes were a bit too KKK for my tastes

That's what I thought they were but, before I could become completely horrified, the camera panned to show a Black man in one so I figured we'd be avoiding that level of awful.

On 12/3/2022 at 9:23 PM, Sarah 103 said:

The subplot with the frogs was delightful.

I loved that, even though Breanna wasn't in the museum for anything related to the frogs (I'm not actually sure why she was there), she jumped right in and combined her part of the con with helping this nice lady she just met. And, by getting her so many young volunteers, plus getting such great results on the study, the frog woman will have support going forward.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, akg said:

I loved that, even though Breanna wasn't in the museum for anything related to the frogs (I'm not actually sure why she was there), she jumped right in and combined her part of the con with helping this nice lady she just met. And, by getting her so many young volunteers, plus getting such great results on the study, the frog woman will have support going forward.

Breanna was there for the WiFi! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Llywela said:

Their slogan is: Come for the WiFi, stay for the Frogs! 

I like it when any of the team bond with the "locals" during a con. It shows how adaptable the team is, which is what makes them so successful, the ability to use unexpected things to their advantage when things seem to be going wrong. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Llywela said:

Aw, I love Breanna. She had absolutely no reason to help that woman and take time away from her job in the con but she did and it made a huge difference to the frog lady's life. Having the frogs tied in with the main con was a bonus.

• Like 6
On 1/29/2023 at 10:29 AM, Mabinogia said:

Their slogan is: Come for the WiFi, stay for the Frogs! 

I like it when any of the team bond with the "locals" during a con. It shows how adaptable the team is, which is what makes them so successful, the ability to use unexpected things to their advantage when things seem to be going wrong. 

Not just bond, but as mentioned, help.  It's cool.  "We'll help these people that came to us, but also those along the way that didn't know about us to ask for help."

And Breanna was so cute getting caught up with the frog cause.

• Like 5
On 1/29/2023 at 9:10 AM, akg said:

Aw, I love Breanna. She had absolutely no reason to help that woman and take time away from her job in the con but she did and it made a huge difference to the frog lady's life. Having the frogs tied in with the main con was a bonus.

Me too. I love that she did that. She just immediately started suggesting things to the lady to help her with  her frog cause.  

• Like 3

I think Breanna needed a cover/legitimate reason to be there and use the Wifi, so helping the frogs seemed to be the easiest most obvious solution. However, she really got into and and went above and beyond what was needed to mantain/perpetuate her cover.   

• Like 4

The Orpheus Grove set was weirdly racially diverse for a secret society of rich people wearing white robes partying on a former plantation. I thought they went soft making it more like the Elks Lodge (which also apparently has a racist history) and going very goofy on the Blackwater guy. Yeah, he kept pulling out a gun, but I would almost say Fury (the e-sports guy) was more intimidating. 

I didn't see Dr. Paul faking his death coming at all. It just felt like one of those Elliot plotlines and I've stopped nitpicking explosions on lower budget TV shows. Anyway, he was a good guest actor. The writing was solid this episode. They found good ways to weave him in and out of the story and involve him in the resolution rather than just relying on the con/robbery.

Finally, a mark being able to identify someone on the team they've seen twice. It did feel sloppy to use Sophie twice in such obvious roles so I'm glad it was acknowledged within the episode. 

I know Sophie is the grifter but it's a little weird she still gets to play every ethnicity in this iteration of the show.

Harry doing his best impression of Elliot was funny. Basically the Christian Bale Batman voice.

The safe was pretty low-tech for Parker but it posed a different kind of challenge.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I know Sophie is the grifter but it's a little weird she still gets to play every ethnicity in this iteration of the show

She always did. She played all kinds of ethnicities in the original show.

• Like 2
On 12/1/2022 at 7:34 PM, Maelstrom said:

And seeing her do the Flop so flawlessly gave me Hustle vibes - Ash Morgan would be proud! (Though I agree the frozen peas were a nice touch).

My personal headcannon is that Sophie worked with Mickey and the crew at some point in the past and Ash taught her how to do the flop. 

• Like 3